• 27 Sep 2006 at 1:48 PM
  • Argent

Hedge Fund Manager Reportedly Married His Daughter

bruce_mcmahan.jpgWhen we last heard of Bruce McMahan, the president and CEO of the Argent funds, he was buying a watch that once belonged to Horatio Alger. Just another story of a hedge fund guy buying collectible art and artifacts. Kind of boring.
It turns out that there was a bit more to McMahan. Or less. McMahan married his 35-year-old daugher in 2004, according to a report in the Broward-Palm Beach New Times. The report says the fund manager initially seduced his daughter while showing her a video of Braveheart.

For more than a year, attorneys have been kept busy in Miami, New York, Mississippi, and San Diego with the fallout over the breakup of McMahan and Linda in five lawsuits involving not only father and daughter but also their legal spouses, as well as Linda’s current boyfriend and soon-to-be father of her child. Details of McMahan and Linda’s extraordinary wedding at Westminster Abbey and their years as lovers come from court documents as well as Linda’s videotaped deposition, which New Times has made available on its website, browardpalmbeach.com.
In court papers, McMahan denies that he ever had a sexual affair with his daughter. But he doesn’t explain how his and Linda’s DNA turned up on a vibrator that Linda’s husband uncovered in her luggage. McMahan also hints that Linda may not be his biological daughter, despite a DNA test he paid for showing with 99.7 percent probability that he is her father.

Ugh. More details are available in the full New Times story. Lots more. Disgusting details. Including court documents, wedding photos and videos. Too disgusting for us to summarize this early in the day. The media news and gossip website Gawker, however, picked up on one too-bizzare-to-be-true-but-true-nonetheless detail:

When Ewell made allegations in her divorce that McMahan had treated her cruelly, McMahan countersued and accused Ewell of engaging in affairs and “attempting to seduce mutual friends and associates,” according to an appellate opinion in the case. Ewell tells New Times that one of those men was billionaire Jeffrey Epstein, who has been much in the news lately for allegedly hiring underaged women to strip topless and massage him at his Palm Beach mansion. At the time, in the early 1980s, McMahan and Epstein worked together at Bear Stearns in New York. Epstein didn’t return a request for comment.
jeffreyepstein1.jpg“Jeffrey Epstein worked with [McMahan]. He was, let’s just say, in the divorce proceedings,” she says. “I was asked to stop by Jeffrey’s apartment to pick up some papers for Bruce. It didn’t feel right, so I didn’t even go in. I stood outside the door. And then, later, Jeff said I propositioned him. There were always allegations I was having to fight.

Emphasis obviously added. McMahan and Epstein worked together? Okay. We’ve got to ask. What the fuck were they putting in the water cooler at Bear Stearns?
The Argent funds manage around $3 billion in assets and operates our of offices in Connecticut (and four other US states), Bermuda, Dubai, Mumbai and London. Reports say the company has approximately 1,200 investors, mostly from outside the US.

Daddy’s Girl: Fisher Island millionaire Bruce McMahan loved his daughter so much, he married her
[Broward-Palm Beach New Times via Gawker]

1. Posted by JB | September 27, 2006 at 2:43 PM

That is one of the weirdest stories I’ve ever read. It reads like a spoof.

2. Posted by Buck Naked | September 27, 2006 at 3:27 PM

I’m a little surprised at how someone can go from wanting to build their own country out of garbage to running the institutional options department at PW. The good ‘ol boy network at its finest.

3. Posted by Milicent Katango | September 27, 2006 at 3:34 PM

Wow, I need a scalding shower and a good scrub with a Brillo pad after reading the Broward-PB article.
    Extensive counseling wouldn’t hurt either.

4. Posted by ContangoMango | October 3, 2006 at 5:01 AM

If I enjoyed that article, will that make me a good hedge fund manager?

5. Posted by cuddy | November 24, 2006 at 8:34 AM

hi guys its me again. can u get back to me bout my hosedown

6. Posted by DILIPKUMAR C.PATEL | December 13, 2006 at 11:30 PM

I am looking to make effective Herbs formilations informs of juice & powder for our childrens ,live very healthy & foraids patients those can live longer with good energy. I need cash 5mto 20m for this purpose to start with for US use. It’s big concept. 200m for africa. I want all people become healthy&Happy in this world. any one join with me. I have project also which can produce revenue upto 2billions. thanking you for reading me DILIP 909427 0260/cell 909714 3381

7. Posted by DILIPKUMAR C.PATEL | December 13, 2006 at 11:30 PM

8. Posted by DILIPKUMAR C.PATEL | December 13, 2006 at 11:31 PM

9. Posted by DILIPKUMAR C.PATEL | December 13, 2006 at 11:31 PM

10. Posted by DILIPKUMAR C.PATEL | December 13, 2006 at 11:33 PM

11. Posted by DILIPKUMAR C.PATEL | December 13, 2006 at 11:33 PM

12. Posted by slinkybender | January 19, 2007 at 7:08 PM

If you’re going to be having sex with an underage girl, you’d might as well keep it in the family.

13. Posted by Leo | January 21, 2007 at 11:24 AM

A national health promotion and disease prevention initiative bringing together many individuals and agencies to improve the health of all Americans WBR LeoP

14. Posted by Christopher | February 11, 2007 at 4:24 PM

So what’s the deal with all the “effective Herbs formilations”?
    Is it akin to, say, an effective herbal formulation?
    Spam aside, the Broward-PB thing is yucky. Especially the business about Braveheart. That movie works for seduction? Sounds unlikely but, hey, what do I know. Nothing about incestuous seduction techniques, clearly.

15. Posted by Harm-Jan Hammingh | February 19, 2007 at 9:45 AM

In the end off the day who can you trust? Your own family, but for the sexual part……I think the guy need to get some serious help? in the head department.

16. Posted by chadi | April 3, 2007 at 9:02 AM

I think his daughter gave him that help harm-jan Hammingh…

17. Posted by andre michaud | April 3, 2007 at 9:09 AM

This man is my hero

18. Posted by andre michaud | April 3, 2007 at 9:10 AM

This man is my hero

19. Posted by chadi semaan | April 3, 2007 at 9:10 AM

Here here

20. Posted by chadi semaan | April 3, 2007 at 9:11 AM

Here here

21. Posted by Ron | June 20, 2007 at 2:33 PM

Check out the latest Village Voice article on Daddy Dearest.

22. Posted by He Who Knows | June 25, 2010 at 4:07 PM

This happens to be completely true. I have seen some things with these eyes.

23. Posted by Bristol Airport Hotels | April 19, 2012 at 12:01 AM

djF8Mh This is one awesome post.Thanks Again. Keep writing.