• 26 Jun 2009 at 2:22 PM

Prince Alwaleed’s Tips For Staying Rich And Fit

Picture 1602.png
This is the cover for the summer issue of a magazine called “PRESTIGE New York.” It gets better.

Picture 1607.png
Picture 1604.png
Picture 1603.png

On the matter of make making money money, take taking money money

“I’m not down at all,” says Prince Alwaleed, who turned 55 in March. “You should know that I take each loss seriously, each million, each 100 million, each billion. Of course it affects me. It impacts me. I take it personally. I just make sure it never happens again.” As to his recent declines, he retorts that he has suffered, in percentage terms, similar setbacks before. His shares in Citi (as it’s now known) were valued this February at $623 million. That’s more than a 90 percent dive from the peak price.
Still, the prince is worth more than $17 billion. “On my scale, you don’t make mistakes, you make blunders,” he says, laughing. Then, dead-serious, he adds, “I’ve made my fortune before. I know I can do it again.”

And on the matter of not being a fattie (which SOMEONE will probably forward to Vikram Pandit):

HRH graduated magna cum laude from Menlo College, in California, in 1979, with a degree in business adminitration. In 1985 he earned an M.A. with honors in Social Science from Syracuse University. During that time, he recalls, he put on a lot of weight. He’s been extremely health-conscious ever since and is now a strict vegetarian who avoids fatty foods, exercises every day and devotes himself to keeping fit. He is a keen cyclist who makes habit of riding for at least one hour a day, although he concedes to keeping a phone handy for deal making. He also puts swimming, walking and skiing on his agenda whenever possible. An acknowledged workaholic and accomplished horseman, he sleeps only five hours a night.

1. Posted by guest | June 26, 2009 at 2:26 PM

I like how Prestige is trying to appeal to everyone:
    “Bob and Suzanne Wright”: Nice White Folks!
    “Grace Hightower”: Some Black Folks!
    “Jared Isaacman”: And a Jew, too!

2. Posted by guest | June 26, 2009 at 2:28 PM

And no one could Photoshop that zit next to his mouth?

3. Posted by guest | June 26, 2009 at 2:30 PM

I fuckin love this guy.

4. Posted by guest | June 26, 2009 at 2:30 PM

Prestige = Taking one of the ugliest people I have ever seen and plopping them on top of a horse?
    huh

5. Posted by guest | June 26, 2009 at 2:31 PM

“he says, laughing. Then, dead-serious,”
    awesome

6. Posted by guest | June 26, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Black shirt for black horse, white shirt for white horse. What to do about wardrobe for that Appaloosa….

7. Posted by guest | June 26, 2009 at 2:34 PM

“You should know that I take each loss seriously, each million, each 100 million, each billion.”
    ARE YOU LISTENING VIKRAM PANDIT?

8. Posted by guest | June 26, 2009 at 2:36 PM

he has ridiculously good hair.

9. Posted by guest | June 26, 2009 at 2:37 PM

Yes, “he” made his fortune….keep telling yourself that buddy.

10. Posted by guest | June 26, 2009 at 2:37 PM

spending any amount of time at all in Syracuse results in weight gain. Chicken wings are considered health food there. Genny screamers are like freaking smoothies….

11. Posted by guest | June 26, 2009 at 2:38 PM

What a perfect specimen of what a man should look like.
    P.A.

12. Posted by guest | June 26, 2009 at 2:42 PM

Menlo College?

13. Posted by guest | June 26, 2009 at 2:42 PM

Good God, he looks so majestic on that horse.

14. Posted by guest | June 26, 2009 at 2:42 PM

He looks like the lovechild of Roger Federer and Bono

15. Posted by guest | June 26, 2009 at 2:43 PM

I love the idea of him at a ‘Cuse game.

16. Posted by guest | June 26, 2009 at 2:43 PM

“On my scale, you don’t make mistakes, you make blunders,” he says, laughing (nice, deep tummy laugh). Then, dead-serious, he adds, “No, but for real — I’ll fucking douse that punjab fuck with oil and light him on fire if he fucks me again.” He then kicked the shit out of his horse, and rode into the sunset, smoking a Kool 100.

17. Posted by guest | June 26, 2009 at 2:46 PM

@16 bravo

18. Posted by guest | June 26, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Prestige Worldwide….Investors? YOU!

19. Posted by guest | June 26, 2009 at 2:48 PM

@16: FTW

20. Posted by guest | June 26, 2009 at 2:48 PM

Wearing a horse is like wearing a uniform, it makes everyone look good. And look, he even changes his clothese to blend in with the horse!

21. Posted by guest | June 26, 2009 at 2:51 PM

In the last picture its really hard to tell where the horse ends and he begins.

22. Posted by guest | June 26, 2009 at 2:51 PM

20- not true at all. I have pics of myself on a horse and I look like a freaking midget at 5’9″

23. Posted by guest | June 26, 2009 at 2:53 PM

forgive my ignorance but what is ftw?
    Again forgive my ignorance but I thought only japs from nj went to Syracuse…

24. Posted by american bandersnatch | June 26, 2009 at 2:54 PM

It has horoscopes and chinese zodiacs! I bet they forecast much classier things happening than in my regular newspaper.
    Bess – could you research the prestigious things that the magazine anticipates for a Scorpio born in the year of the dragon?

25. Posted by guest | June 26, 2009 at 2:54 PM

@23 ftw = for the win
    @22 5’9″ for a man IS a midget

26. Posted by guest | June 26, 2009 at 2:54 PM

@16 ftw

27. Posted by guest | June 26, 2009 at 2:55 PM

Wasn’t he in that timeless 80′s classic movie “The Jewel of the Nile” starring a dashing Michael Douglas?
    Strabo

28. Posted by guest | June 26, 2009 at 2:55 PM

@25: where I’m from, 5’9″ is considered “Jewish 6 feet”

29. Posted by guest | June 26, 2009 at 2:56 PM

@16 Brilliant. Esp. when read out load w/Arabic accent.

30. Posted by Investorcluzo | June 26, 2009 at 2:58 PM

austin powers ftw…
    agreed, we didn’t need the extra close up.

31. Posted by guest | June 26, 2009 at 3:01 PM

Bess,
    I am a spitting image of the Prince, who you obviously have a huge crush on.
    Call me.

32. Posted by Anal_yst | June 26, 2009 at 3:13 PM

So this could (minus the hundred million, billion comment) be the profile/interview of just about any guy on Wall Street, that’s what I’m getting.

33. Posted by guest | June 26, 2009 at 3:16 PM

Guarantee you that someone as prestigious as Prince Hidalgo, bleaches their anus.
    Jim Cramerica

34. Posted by guest | June 26, 2009 at 3:18 PM

What a magnificent beast! The horse is impressive, too.

35. Posted by guest | June 26, 2009 at 3:20 PM

The reason he only sleeps 5 to 8 hours a night is because he’s doing 3 girls at a time all night.
    Elliot Spitzer

36. Posted by guest | June 26, 2009 at 3:24 PM

This guy has Jefferies analyst written all over him.

37. Posted by guest | June 26, 2009 at 3:41 PM

Where is THAT pic of HRH bending over?

38. Posted by guest | June 26, 2009 at 3:49 PM

Nothing says “man’s man” like a mullet and a turtleneck.

39. Posted by guest | June 26, 2009 at 3:50 PM

The Arabic version of Dos Equis “The Most Interesting Man in the World”.

40. Posted by guest | June 26, 2009 at 4:03 PM

@14 — nice

41. Posted by guest | June 26, 2009 at 4:20 PM

God, he’s so inspiring, sorta like the Arab Steve McQueen.If he isn’t the coolest lucky sperm donor alive this side of Dubai, than I don’t know who else is!

42. Posted by NAS Keflavik boi | June 26, 2009 at 4:32 PM

@ 21 — that’s because he’s a fucking centaur, you numb nuts!!!

43. Posted by guest | June 26, 2009 at 4:40 PM

I thought FTW was “fuck the what,” but I still knew it was a good thing.

44. Posted by guest | June 26, 2009 at 4:46 PM

talk about being born on third base and thinking you hit a triple…

45. Posted by guest | June 26, 2009 at 4:47 PM

In the early days of the debacle didn’t maria b interview this guy and wasn’t he all about crying in his porridge?

46. Posted by guest | June 26, 2009 at 4:59 PM

The only thing that could make this guy a bigger DB is if he was hanging around wih Michael Jackson… oh wait:

47. Posted by guest | June 26, 2009 at 4:59 PM

16 wins.

48. Posted by guest | June 26, 2009 at 5:03 PM

Isn’t this guy just some Saudi oil brat who just happened to make a huge (bad) investment in a shitty financial conglomerate? Yawn.

49. Posted by guest | June 26, 2009 at 5:05 PM

douche@48- these pics are not a “yawn.”
    @46 http://dealbreaker.com/2009/06/charlie-gasparino-recommends-p.php

50. Posted by guest | June 26, 2009 at 5:16 PM

@48 WTF are you talking about? This was the post of the day.

51. Posted by guest | June 26, 2009 at 5:18 PM

Larry Summers also only sleeps 5 hours a night…

52. Posted by guest | June 26, 2009 at 5:59 PM

@51
    At NIGHT, yes, but he gets another three hours of sleep from his combined daily cat naps.

53. Posted by guest | June 26, 2009 at 6:24 PM

I’m curious.
    How many wives he’s got?
    They are allowed 4.

54. Posted by guest | June 26, 2009 at 6:29 PM

MENLO COLLEGE is that where his HORSE GOT TRAINED???
    SYRACUSE is where his horse mastered the art of racing???
    I don’t understand it!
    -MaxWatters-

55. Posted by guest | June 26, 2009 at 9:37 PM

His hands have healing powers, but are also devastating weapons. He has mastered the five point palm exploding heart technique. His scent repels mosquitoes. Bulls refuse to fight him. He is…the most interesting man in the world.

56. Posted by guest | June 27, 2009 at 3:05 AM

“Doubts about the source of income
    The Economist has expressed doubts about the source of income of Prince Al Waleed and whether he is a front man for other Saudi investors. According to it, he has not earned enough income from his investments to pay for all that he has spent in the 1990s. The mystery goes back to that first stake in Citicorp. The prince has declared that this money came entirely from his personal funds. He says he started out in 1979 with a loan of just $30,000 from his father. He also mortgaged a house that his father had given him, raising approximately $400,000. And each month, as a grandson of Ibn Saud, he receives $15,000. “You could barely clothe a Saudi prince for such sums, let alone furnish him with a multi-billion-dollar empire. Nevertheless, by 1991 Prince Alwaleed had felt able to risk an investment of $797m in Citicorp”, writes the magazine.[3]”

57. Posted by guest | June 27, 2009 at 10:42 AM

Prince Alwaleeds Tips For Staying Rich And Fit:
    1) Be born a Saudi Prince.
    2) Exercise

58. Posted by guest | June 27, 2009 at 11:30 AM

Menlo College is where quite a few CEOs have gone and even one of the Bass brothers. It attracted in the 60s a lot of rich foreigners and idiot old money children from the North East. I had never heard of it until I realized my MD (years ago) had gone there. His rolodex was ridiculous from that school.

59. Posted by guest | June 27, 2009 at 5:18 PM

You know, if they ever think of making a movie on this guy, the Indian actor, Anil Kapoor, would be a perfect casting choice.

60. Posted by guest | June 29, 2009 at 2:38 PM

Is he sporting a mullet? Who knew that deep down he was a redneck.

61. Posted by guest | June 29, 2009 at 2:38 PM

Is he sporting a mullet? Who knew that deep down he was a redneck.

62. Posted by guest | June 29, 2009 at 2:39 PM

Is he sporting a mullet? Who knew that deep down he was a redneck.

63. Posted by guest | December 14, 2009 at 2:07 PM

He hedged is C with crude futures and broke even last year. He didn’t lose a dollar. Remember the line from Syriana “100 years ago you were riding horses around the desert cutting each others heads off. 100 years from now by doing that again” So true.
    GWB

64. Posted by guest | December 14, 2009 at 11:50 PM

Who figures an immigrant’s going to have a pony? Do you know what the odds are on that? I mean, in all the pictures I saw of immigrants on boats coming into New York harbor, I never saw one of them sitting on a pony.