• 21 Jul 2009 at 12:17 PM

Maxine Waters Completely Phoning It In These Days

Picture 1773.pngA bunch of you have been emailing with glee over the fact that while Maxine Waters is not currently at the Bernanke “grilling,” she did get a name check by gal-pal Gwen Moore, who brought up The Rolling Stone Article, which MW had apparently passed on to her (with favorite passages selected and the phrase “giant vampire squid” circled and underlined with a note to “use this”).
Unfortunately, we cannot share in your excitement because honestly? What’s been up with Max these days? She hasn’t brought it in like, forever, and now she’s not even here? Has she lost her edge? Has she been planning something HUGE and doesn’t have time to waste on bearded fruits (Greenspan’s words, not mine) like Bernanke? We need an explanation. And we need this, as a reminder, of the sort of thing we’re looking for:

This also:

And for good measure:

1. Posted by guest | July 21, 2009 at 12:22 PM

I, be planning something good. You’re gonna love it.
    -MW

2. Posted by guest | July 21, 2009 at 12:22 PM

Despite Conventional Wisdom, being crazy is exhausting! Cut me some slack, Jack!
    - MW

3. Posted by guest | July 21, 2009 at 12:25 PM

hey bess, you can lick my bearded fruit.
    -BB

4. Posted by guest | July 21, 2009 at 12:25 PM

She’s busy fighting for her political life. Supposedly, Whitney Houston has just purchased a home in her district and plans to run for office.

5. Posted by guest | July 21, 2009 at 12:26 PM

Meds do take some time to kick in.

6. Posted by guest | July 21, 2009 at 12:28 PM

@4 mean but good

7. Posted by merkin capital partners | July 21, 2009 at 12:28 PM

Was is that plant in the background? Oh shit it moved!

8. Posted by sourceclosetodiscussions | July 21, 2009 at 12:33 PM

mad max told gwen to give her a shout out while perpetuating the gs conspiracy theory – it’s necessary for her to keep the “mind share” of the american public as she deals with the whitney houston issue…so I’ve been told.

9. Posted by guest | July 21, 2009 at 12:35 PM

@9 we get that but we’re looking for an answer as to why max couldn’t come in and bring it herself? gs is her beat.

10. Posted by guest | July 21, 2009 at 12:38 PM

She’s at some luncheon honoring Louis Armstrong for being the first man on the moon.

11. Posted by wcburrs87 | July 21, 2009 at 12:41 PM

Fight the Gold Mens with Snaxine Waters.
    -Snickers Ad Manager

12. Posted by guest | July 21, 2009 at 12:43 PM

@11….that’s where all the AIG quants are too!!

13. Posted by guest | July 21, 2009 at 12:50 PM

12 is my new hero. I expect a comment in every post.
    -Lehman PR Manager

14. Posted by guest | July 21, 2009 at 12:57 PM

The fingers whisper “care for a hot prostate massage?” while the eyes scream “i one karaaaaazy muthha effin hobag!”

15. Posted by guest | July 21, 2009 at 1:01 PM

@15 pretty good

16. Posted by guest | July 21, 2009 at 1:16 PM

@ 15 Good post. Were not in fifth grade any more so need to post like we are in fifth grade.

17. Posted by guest | July 21, 2009 at 1:17 PM

no mention of Gwen Moore is complete without a reference to her son, Sowande Omokunde, also known as Supreme Solar Allah:
    “As you may recall, Omokunde was one of four Democratic staffers who pleaded guilty to misdemeanors for slashing tires on 25 vans hours before Republican Party officials were to use them to drive voters to the polls on election day 2004. In April, Omokunde was sentenced to four months in jail and fined $1,000 for his role in the much-publicized caper.”

18. Posted by guest | July 21, 2009 at 1:28 PM

@ Bess
    Just cuz they’re The Oracle’s words, doesnt mean you should repeat them. That man will F u up. Don’t mess with the Beard honey. I’ll tell you all about it over drinks in Charlotte if you wanna come on down. Tax payer subsidized of course.
    KL

19. Posted by guest | July 21, 2009 at 1:29 PM

too funny — I love Congress.

20. Posted by guest | July 21, 2009 at 1:29 PM

@KL can I get in on that?
    -HP

21. Posted by guest | July 21, 2009 at 1:32 PM

@17 – You got prostate massages in 5th grade? That IS sick.

22. Posted by guest | July 21, 2009 at 1:33 PM

@21
    Only if promise not to break my knees… I’m Kidding! I’m Kidding! Of course you can HP…. just please don’t hurt me too bad. if you hurt me too bad even I won’t be able to hide from Congress no matter how much Boone’s is in my system.
    KL

23. Posted by The Long Life of the Vampire Squid Metaphor - NYTimes.com | December 13, 2011 at 3:14 PM

[...] journalism do. Before it was co-opted for protest art this week, the metaphor was already being cited by members of Congress, roasted by private equity titans and scrutinized for signs of [...]

24. Posted by oem software | May 2, 2012 at 10:25 PM

sA2KXe Great blog post.Thanks Again. Fantastic.

25. Posted by ermoia | September 9, 2012 at 12:38 AM