- 06 Nov 2009 at 9:32 AM
When your dreams of expansion have been rebuffed at just about every turn for a decade, it forces you to think outside the box. So goodbye, London, Paris and Amsterdam: Deutsche Börse is (trying) to go to Warsaw.
Seventy years after a very special moment in German-Polish relations, the owner of the Frankfurt Stock Exchange is bidding for what locals affectionately refer to as the Giełda Papierów Wartościowych w Warszawie. The other other DB hopes to buy a majority stake in the bourse from its current majority owner, a widely-respected exchange operator called the Polish government.
Deutsche Börse thinks the Warsaw exchange is an “attractive investment.” Maybe it is. Maybe anything looks good after you’ve been humiliated in your attempt to buy the London Stock Exchange and bested by those Wall Street bastards in bidding for Euronext.
Jochen Biedermann, he who holds the unenviable job of “head of Eastern European business” at Deutsche Börse said he likes the cash and derivatives trading a Warsaw foothold would offer. He ominously adds, “We also have our own ideas about new products. And Lebensraum.
There remains, however, the chance that the Germans will once again be stymied. While the one that got away, the LSE, doesn’t plan on making an offer, Deutsche Börse’s bête noir, NYSE Euronext, and Nasdaq OMX have both been invited to make Poland an offer.
Deutsche Börse Makes Bid for Warsaw Stock Exchange [WSJ]
- Deutsche Börse Looks East, Because It Has Nowhere Else To Go November 6, 2009
- Let's Talk About: CFA Results July 29, 2014
- Metro North Rider Follows The 150 Second Rule July 29, 2014
- Morgan Stanley Has A Treat For Senior Junior Bankers July 29, 2014
- CFA Level I And II Results Are Out Tomorrow: Start Freaking Out Today July 28, 2014
- 07/28/14: The Greatest Day Of Bill Ackman's Life Thus Far July 28, 2014
- Steve Cohen Attends Party, Dresses Like A 'Schlub': Bloomberg July 28, 2014
- Opening Bell: 07.29.14 July 29, 2014
- Argentina Showing All Of The Urgency Of A Country Not About To Needlessly Default For The Second Time In 13 Years July 28, 2014
- We Are Just Over Two Months Away From Finding Out What Brian Hunter Looks Like July 28, 2014
- Executive Editor
- Bess Levin
How Can We Help You?
- Send tips to:
- For tech issues email:
- For advertising or events email:
- For research or custom solutions email:
- Dealbreaker is published by Breaking Media.
For a full list of our sites, services and staff visit breakingmedia.com