- 06 Nov 2009 at 9:32 AM
When your dreams of expansion have been rebuffed at just about every turn for a decade, it forces you to think outside the box. So goodbye, London, Paris and Amsterdam: Deutsche Börse is (trying) to go to Warsaw.
Seventy years after a very special moment in German-Polish relations, the owner of the Frankfurt Stock Exchange is bidding for what locals affectionately refer to as the Giełda Papierów Wartościowych w Warszawie. The other other DB hopes to buy a majority stake in the bourse from its current majority owner, a widely-respected exchange operator called the Polish government.
Deutsche Börse thinks the Warsaw exchange is an “attractive investment.” Maybe it is. Maybe anything looks good after you’ve been humiliated in your attempt to buy the London Stock Exchange and bested by those Wall Street bastards in bidding for Euronext.
Jochen Biedermann, he who holds the unenviable job of “head of Eastern European business” at Deutsche Börse said he likes the cash and derivatives trading a Warsaw foothold would offer. He ominously adds, “We also have our own ideas about new products. And Lebensraum.
There remains, however, the chance that the Germans will once again be stymied. While the one that got away, the LSE, doesn’t plan on making an offer, Deutsche Börse’s bête noir, NYSE Euronext, and Nasdaq OMX have both been invited to make Poland an offer.
Deutsche Börse Makes Bid for Warsaw Stock Exchange [WSJ]
- Deutsche Börse Looks East, Because It Has Nowhere Else To Go November 6, 2009
- Let’s Exchange Heated Words Over: Business School Rankings March 11, 2014
- Don’t Get Caught E-Mailing Yourself Proprietary Trading Models In Manhattan March 12, 2014
- Opening Bell: 03.12.14 March 12, 2014
- Recommended Reading From Herbalife March 11, 2014
- Ex-AIG CEO Not Into Bailouts (For The Poor) March 12, 2014
- Phil Falcone Says Charlie Ergen’s Lying Now A Criminal Matter March 12, 2014
- There Will Definitely, Maybe Be Hell Of Some Kind To Pay If Citigroup Mexican Subsidiary Loses Another Half A Billion Dollars March 12, 2014
- Garment-Makers Working 24/7 To Have Point72 Fleeces Ready By April 7 March 11, 2014
- Pimco Trustee Dares To Question American Thoroughbred's Annual Compensation March 11, 2014
- Executive Editor
- Bess Levin
How Can We Help You?
- Send tips to:
- For tech issues email:
- For advertising or events email:
- For research or custom solutions email:
- Dealbreaker is published by Breaking Media.
For a full list of our sites, services and staff visit breakingmedia.com