- 06 Nov 2009 at 9:32 AM
When your dreams of expansion have been rebuffed at just about every turn for a decade, it forces you to think outside the box. So goodbye, London, Paris and Amsterdam: Deutsche Börse is (trying) to go to Warsaw.
Seventy years after a very special moment in German-Polish relations, the owner of the Frankfurt Stock Exchange is bidding for what locals affectionately refer to as the Giełda Papierów Wartościowych w Warszawie. The other other DB hopes to buy a majority stake in the bourse from its current majority owner, a widely-respected exchange operator called the Polish government.
Deutsche Börse thinks the Warsaw exchange is an “attractive investment.” Maybe it is. Maybe anything looks good after you’ve been humiliated in your attempt to buy the London Stock Exchange and bested by those Wall Street bastards in bidding for Euronext.
Jochen Biedermann, he who holds the unenviable job of “head of Eastern European business” at Deutsche Börse said he likes the cash and derivatives trading a Warsaw foothold would offer. He ominously adds, “We also have our own ideas about new products. And Lebensraum.
There remains, however, the chance that the Germans will once again be stymied. While the one that got away, the LSE, doesn’t plan on making an offer, Deutsche Börse’s bête noir, NYSE Euronext, and Nasdaq OMX have both been invited to make Poland an offer.
Deutsche Börse Makes Bid for Warsaw Stock Exchange [WSJ]
- Deutsche Börse Looks East, Because It Has Nowhere Else To Go November 6, 2009
- Hedge Fund Manager Keeps A Detailed Record Of All The Asses He's Grabbed September 17, 2014
- Harvard Professor Been Waiting 39 Years To Nail Lloyd Blankfein To The Wall September 18, 2014
- Tom Brady Could've Been The Tom Brady Of Merrill Lynch September 18, 2014
- Opening Bell: 09.19.14 September 19, 2014
- Sex, Shoe Bonuses For Interns NBD At UBS (Update) September 15, 2014
- Man Posting Photos Of Near-Naked Women To Instagram Amazingly Has Lots Of Followers September 17, 2014
- An Offer You Couldn’t Possibly Want To Refuse September 18, 2014
- Argentina Ready To Declare War Over Semantics September 18, 2014
- There Are 155 More Billionaires Now September 18, 2014
- Executive Editor
- Bess Levin
How Can We Help You?
- Send tips to:
- For tech issues email:
- For advertising or events email:
- For research or custom solutions email:
- Dealbreaker is published by Breaking Media.
For a full list of our sites, services and staff visit breakingmedia.com