Back when Raj Rajaratnam was first accused of insider trading, this was the initial hedcut the Journal went with:
rajrajaratnamheadcut2.JPG
Obviously, the paper only has so much leeway with these things, since people know what Raj, and most of their other subjects look like. But raw material they’re given to work with aside, the staff does have some influence over the direction in which they want to take things. In some cases, as previously discussed, these editorial judgments are based on the tone of the story. For instance, news that Citi was closing Vikram’s baby, Old Lane, got the Sad Face treatment, whereas as an article about Vickles getting to fire people, one of the most fun things a CEO gets to do, got a portrait of a jolly Uncle Vik. In other cases, it’s strictly a matter of whether the organization likes you or not (in which case they will have no problem using your high school yearbook photo as a reference portrait), and how they want to portray you. They can either encourage the readership to say “Hey, that looks like a pretty affable, non-criminal guy,” or “Look at that fat fuck. He’s gotta be up to no good.” Whether or not Raj actually looks like Jabba the Hut in real life doesn’t much matter: that’s the angle the Journal was going with, and they obviously took pains to nail the image, as evidenced by making sure each chin was just right, and that his neck was practically melting. Then they wrinkled his shirt a little bit, because everyone knows a slob is probably guilty of something.
So it was a bit shocking to see this, the drawing that accompanied today’s story:

rajrajaratnamnewheadcut.gif
The layers of neck are less offensive. He’s wearing a suit and tie. They’ve made him look reflective and almost sensitive. Obviously this raises a few of questions: how did this change of heart by the Journal come about? Did they get pressure from Galleon’s lawyers or PR team (it’s happened before)? Or, over the course of reporting, did they grow fond of the big man, and want the world to see the Raj they see? And finally, when are they going to really going to take this thing on home and run an animated GIF of Raj-Raj giggling uncontrollably, as he is prone to do, particularly when playing practical jokes on employees involving midgets and paying them to get tased? Because that’s the true Raj Rajaratnam, and that’s the one we’re waiting for.

1. Posted by guest | January 6, 2010 at 10:59 AM

It is obvious, all the the stock tips were being hidden in the folds of his neck skin.

2. Posted by guest | January 6, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Looks like Charlie Rangel now.

3. Posted by guest | January 6, 2010 at 11:02 AM

bess, this is investigative journalism at its finest.

4. Posted by highlyconfident | January 6, 2010 at 7:06 AM

The top one says "you could sell my breast lactate as a cheese curd appetizer in Wisconsin" while the bottom one says "Hey, cut Raj-Raj some slack, my Nutrisystems packages haven't arrived in the mail yet"

5. Posted by guest | January 6, 2010 at 7:08 AM

@4 that's exactly what we were going for.
    -rupert

6. Posted by guest | January 6, 2010 at 11:09 AM

So what happened to Jon?

7. Posted by Lowly Assistant | January 6, 2010 at 7:14 AM
  8. Posted by Bess Levin | January 6, 2010 at 7:14 AM

@6 Jon was always a temporary replacement for Greg, on loan to us from our friends at FINalternatives. He was working for both of us at the same time, and since he's their only writer, they could only let us have him for a little while, and needed him back full time.

9. Posted by guest | January 6, 2010 at 7:15 AM

@lowly- he's about a thousand more times sexy than jabba/the first pic of raj.

10. Posted by guest | January 6, 2010 at 7:16 AM

I prefer the first pic of RAJRAJ.
    -likes more cushion for the pushin.

11. Posted by guest | January 6, 2010 at 7:16 AM

He's clearly on his second 'roids cycle, getting ready for the Yard. He'll look like The Rock in the next pic.

12. Posted by guest | January 6, 2010 at 11:25 AM

@8: Between the devil and the deep blue sea.

13. Posted by NakedShort | January 6, 2010 at 7:29 AM

Oh yeah and I'll tell you one more thing I want Summers! I want Larry!! You've seen what this neck fat can do at a hedge fund now I want to show you what it can do in the ring. Rajaratnam vs. Summers, June 15th, 2010, Madison Square Gardan. Largest Brooks Brothers dress shirt neck size wins.

14. Posted by Lowly Assistant | January 6, 2010 at 7:34 AM

14,
    Concur. A fine writer, and seems to dig into the in-depth, investigative work Carney and EP would unearth.

15. Posted by Lowly Assistant | January 6, 2010 at 7:37 AM

???
    My @14, re: Anal.

16. Posted by guest | January 6, 2010 at 7:41 AM

Bess,
    I believe the answer lies in his PR team. The first guy looks like he is about to go Jabba on a series of lap dancers in the greater South Florida area, whilst the second pic denotes a humbled, introspective and repentant professional.

17. Posted by guest | January 6, 2010 at 11:43 AM

There are comment ninjas afoot, me thinks.

18. Posted by guest | January 6, 2010 at 7:46 AM

Next thing you know they'll run a picture of him wearing a crown of thorns. Just sayin'.

19. Posted by guest | January 6, 2010 at 7:48 AM

Lowly Assistant – your chances of a promotion would be greatly increased if you managed to get numbers correct.
    Rgds,
    MD

20. Posted by guest | January 6, 2010 at 11:48 AM

@LA- holy shit dude, every other fucking comment from you is whiney tears about missing blarney and EP. stfu! no one cares! go read them where they write now! stop leaving in the past!

21. Posted by Lowly Assistant | January 6, 2010 at 8:00 AM

20,
    Greg, relax, and don't be so dense. I'm talking about someone providing "play-by-play," while Bess continues to provide color. Carney and EP excelled in exactly that, and I brought them up (in this instance) for comparative purposes. Now kindly fuck off.
    MD,
    The OG 14 was pulled, referencing Anal_yst as a good choice for the position. I'm good with numbers. I'm aspergers.

22. Posted by guest | January 6, 2010 at 8:02 AM

@21 dude, i'm not greg, and this has nothing to do with Bess, it has to do with the fact that you bring them up and wax nostalgic for them ALL THE TIME. move on.

23. Posted by guest | January 6, 2010 at 8:09 AM

@22, let him perseverate, it's part of his charm. he can't help it & he's not the only one.
    -guest

24. Posted by Anal_yst | January 6, 2010 at 12:16 PM

Question: Does the journal have artists do the sketches by hand, or is it just a photo run through an algo?

25. Posted by NakedShort | January 6, 2010 at 12:17 PM

@24 Anal I researched this a while ago…All drawn by hand.

26. Posted by Vikula Pandit | January 6, 2010 at 12:21 PM

He looks like gorilla!

27. Posted by Lowly Assistant | January 6, 2010 at 8:29 AM

22,
    What the fuck do you care? I wax poetic regarding all past characters/writers – e.g.: Keith, Elizabeth, Carney, EP, Brock Fantasia, Muffie, etc…albeit, more often as of late – but that's due to the holidays, drinking, and my general melancholy stance on life and scorned love. Now, if you don't mind, I'm going into the corner to write in my diary "[FIRST NAME] Benson-Perella" over, and over, and over again. I will then produce an excel model on how to accrue capital to form a larger dowry, in hopes of Muff giving up the ghost, before making me her man-bitch.
    Signed,
    -One-Armed Man Digging for Pocket Change While Reading about the Rice Market in Thailand

28. Posted by guest | January 6, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Any way you slice it, that is one ugly SOB. Hes disturbing to look at, a pigman if you will. His neck is made of roast beef and his head looks like a baked ham….

29. Posted by guest | January 6, 2010 at 2:29 PM

@28 would be ironic then if Raj Raj was a vegetarian

30. Posted by Anal_yst | January 6, 2010 at 12:05 PM

@Naked
    I ask, because the first, traditional WSJ-style Raj-Raj pic looks hand-drawn, while the latter looks like they took a stock photo and just ran it through an algo, style is just totally different, ya knows?

31. Posted by guest | January 6, 2010 at 1:01 PM

Second one looks like a "Rudy" era Jon Favreau with a mustache. But unlike D-Bob, Raj could clearly woo the ladies…

32. Posted by guest | January 6, 2010 at 8:28 PM

Now that we have his left cheek instead of his right, I am totally convinced he is innocent.
    Somewhere between those two cheeks is his true essence, and it behooves WSJ to reach deep and pull that out.

33. Posted by guest | January 6, 2010 at 6:59 AM

34. Posted by guest | January 6, 2010 at 7:02 AM

Looks like Charlie Rangel now.

35. Posted by guest | January 6, 2010 at 7:02 AM

bess, this is investigative journalism at its finest.

36. Posted by highlyconfident | January 6, 2010 at 4:06 PM

The top one says “you could sell my breast lactate as a cheese curd appetizer in Wisconsin” while the bottom one says “Hey, cut Raj-Raj some slack, my Nutrisystems packages haven’t arrived in the mail yet”

37. Posted by guest | January 6, 2010 at 4:08 PM

@4 that’s exactly what we were going for.
    -rupert

38. Posted by guest | January 6, 2010 at 7:09 AM

So what happened to Jon?

39. Posted by Lowly Assistant | January 6, 2010 at 4:14 PM
  40. Posted by Bess Levin | January 6, 2010 at 4:14 PM

@6 Jon was always a temporary replacement for Greg, on loan to us from our friends at FINalternatives. He was working for both of us at the same time, and since he’s their only writer, they could only let us have him for a little while, and needed him back full time.

41. Posted by guest | January 6, 2010 at 4:15 PM

@lowly- he’s about a thousand more times sexy than jabba/the first pic of raj.

42. Posted by guest | January 6, 2010 at 4:16 PM

I prefer the first pic of RAJRAJ.
    -likes more cushion for the pushin.

43. Posted by guest | January 6, 2010 at 4:16 PM

He’s clearly on his second ‘roids cycle, getting ready for the Yard. He’ll look like The Rock in the next pic.

44. Posted by guest | January 6, 2010 at 7:25 AM

@8: Between the devil and the deep blue sea.

45. Posted by NakedShort | January 6, 2010 at 4:29 PM

Oh yeah and I’ll tell you one more thing I want Summers! I want Larry!! You’ve seen what this neck fat can do at a hedge fund now I want to show you what it can do in the ring. Rajaratnam vs. Summers, June 15th, 2010, Madison Square Gardan. Largest Brooks Brothers dress shirt neck size wins.

46. Posted by Lowly Assistant | January 6, 2010 at 4:34 PM

14,

47. Posted by Lowly Assistant | January 6, 2010 at 4:37 PM

???
    My @14, re: Anal.

48. Posted by guest | January 6, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Bess,

49. Posted by guest | January 6, 2010 at 7:43 AM

There are comment ninjas afoot, me thinks.

50. Posted by guest | January 6, 2010 at 4:46 PM

Next thing you know they’ll run a picture of him wearing a crown of thorns. Just sayin’.

51. Posted by guest | January 6, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Rgds,
    MD

52. Posted by guest | January 6, 2010 at 7:48 AM

53. Posted by Lowly Assistant | January 6, 2010 at 5:00 PM

20,
    Greg, relax, and don’t be so dense. I’m talking about someone providing “play-by-play,” while Bess continues to provide color. Carney and EP excelled in exactly that, and I brought them up (in this instance) for comparative purposes. Now kindly fuck off.
    MD,
    The OG 14 was pulled, referencing Anal_yst as a good choice for the position. I’m good with numbers. I’m aspergers.

54. Posted by guest | January 6, 2010 at 5:02 PM

@21 dude, i’m not greg, and this has nothing to do with Bess, it has to do with the fact that you bring them up and wax nostalgic for them ALL THE TIME. move on.

55. Posted by guest | January 6, 2010 at 5:09 PM

@22, let him perseverate, it’s part of his charm. he can’t help it & he’s not the only one.
    -guest

56. Posted by Anal_yst | January 6, 2010 at 8:16 AM

57. Posted by NakedShort | January 6, 2010 at 8:17 AM

@24 Anal I researched this a while ago…All drawn by hand.

58. Posted by Vikula Pandit | January 6, 2010 at 8:21 AM

He looks like gorilla!

59. Posted by Lowly Assistant | January 6, 2010 at 5:29 PM

22,
    What the fuck do you care? I wax poetic regarding all past characters/writers – e.g.: Keith, Elizabeth, Carney, EP, Brock Fantasia, Muffie, etc…albeit, more often as of late – but that’s due to the holidays, drinking, and my general melancholy stance on life and scorned love. Now, if you don’t mind, I’m going into the corner to write in my diary “[FIRST NAME] Benson-Perella” over, and over, and over again. I will then produce an excel model on how to accrue capital to form a larger dowry, in hopes of Muff giving up the ghost, before making me her man-bitch.
    Signed,

60. Posted by guest | January 6, 2010 at 9:04 AM

61. Posted by guest | January 6, 2010 at 10:29 AM

@28 would be ironic then if Raj Raj was a vegetarian

62. Posted by Anal_yst | January 6, 2010 at 9:05 PM

@Naked

63. Posted by guest | January 6, 2010 at 10:01 PM

Second one looks like a “Rudy” era Jon Favreau with a mustache. But unlike D-Bob, Raj could clearly woo the ladies…

64. Posted by guest | January 7, 2010 at 5:28 AM

65. Posted by Bristol Airport Hotels | April 19, 2012 at 6:39 AM

hKEgQH Im grateful for the blog article.Really looking forward to read more. Want more.

66. Posted by Cliffussy | September 26, 2012 at 10:54 AM

mpenxqew [url=http://abercromfitchmagasin.webnode.fr/#6619]abercrombie parisf[/url] zwgmotuv abercrombie parisl gvjkgdcx http://abercromfitchmagasin.webnode.fr/

67. Posted by beadianda | October 8, 2012 at 4:13 PM
  68. Posted by gw2 gold | October 14, 2012 at 11:36 AM

I cling on to listening to the news update talk about receiving boundless online grant applications so I have been looking around for the top site to get one. Could you advise me please, where could i acquire some?