- 16 Mar 2010 at 1:30 PM
I’m not asking for myself, I’m asking for Ebullio Capital Management, and its founder, Lars Steffensen. In February the commodities fund took a 86 percent hit, after declining 70 percent in January, and YTD, is down 96 percent. Investors are forming a disorderly line for the exits. From the outside in, things look ass-bleedingly bad. But it’s cool! Lars is not stressing. People come back from this sort of thing all the time, Lars included.
“Extraordinary circumstances” forced the fund “to liquidate and/or cancel parts of the physical book and liquidate some long-held speculative positions, mainly in LME non-ferrous metals,” Ebullio founder Lars Steffensen wrote in the report, referring to the London Metal Exchange.
“We took the hit,” Steffensen, 42, said by phone today, confirming the contents of the letter and declining to elaborate. “I’ve always bounced back,” he said.
The fund is waiving its 2 percent management fee for 2010.
So, anyway, like I said, I’m polling the group so we can give Lars an accurate picture of whether or not this is feasible. Do bounce backs like this happen all the time? Looking for hard data and/or total guesstimates.
Ebullio Hedge Fund Fell 86% Last Month on Metals Loss [Bloomberg via BI]
- Do A Lot Of Hedge Funds Bounce Back From 86 Percent Losses? March 16, 2010
- Jamie Dimon Wouldn't Buy Bear Stearns Again If They Were Selling It For The Price Of 'On The House' December 11, 2013
- How-To-Guides: Kick Someone's Ass The First Day, Or Become Someone's Bitch December 11, 2013
- No. 2 At Noted Boiler Room Will Give You Sex With 'A Zillion Women' But Draws The Line At Male-Male-Female Threesomes December 10, 2013
- Are You A First-Year Analyst But Want To Look Like You're Punching Above Your Weight? December 9, 2013
- The Ruble Is Ready To Take Its Rightful Place December 11, 2013
- Guy Who Worked In Notorious Boiler Room Where He Was Urged By Boss To Slit His Throat Has Already Fandangoed His Tickets To The Movie December 9, 2013
- The 2013 Dealbreaker Holiday Gift Guide December 10, 2013
- Steve Cohen's Lawyer Asks Judge To Dismiss Ex-Wife's Case While We're Still Young And He's Still The Guy Presiding Over It December 11, 2013
- JPMorgan To See Whether An Extra Billion A Year Will Keep Eric Holder Away December 11, 2013
- Executive Editor
- Bess Levin
How Can We Help You?
- Send tips to:
- For tech issues email:
- For advertising or events email:
- For research or custom solutions email:
- Dealbreaker is published by Breaking Media.
For a full list of our sites, services and staff visit breakingmedia.com