As you may have noticed, one of the ways you can tell someone has made it to the upper echelons of the hedge fund elite is that they don’t have to give a fuck about their sartorial choices. Whether it’s dressing like a hobo or Friday night at Studio 54, they can do what they want. Button down shirts can be swapped out for zip up fleeces, ripped jeans that smell like wet dog replace dress pants, roller-skates take the place of loafers, out go the suits in come the full-body stockings. They wanna dress like a (lovable) schlubb or someone who could get picked up for street walking, that’s their right, ’cause they could buy your life, a billion times over. Biff Basness wants a face tattoo? Biff Basness gets himself a face tattoo, and investors aren’t going to say nothing. In fact, it’s come to be a good litmus test. You see a guy walking down Greenwich Avenue in a champion sweatsuit? Or taking lunch at the Sizzler, wearing just lobster bib and light up cock ring? You’re probably looking at a top hedge fund manager. This notion has not been lost on the Brits.

Arki Busson, multi-millionaire hedge fund manager and on-off partner of Uma Thurman, is a man who can dress how he likes for work. For the most part, this means suits and open-neck shirts – nothing too attention-seeking. At least until your eye falls to his wrist. For there, next to his watch, Busson regularly wears … beads and bangles, charms and straps. Bracelets, in other words.

According to James Massey, these wristbands are a mark of the independence afforded to the hedge funder or the entrepreneur: “The ones that own their own company don’t care about traditional dressing,” he says.

“I haven’t taken it off since,” says Massey, who works in luxury PR and who has noticed an increasing number of smart London men wearing bracelets as part of their work outfit. “If you look around Mayfair, you see all these men in beautiful bespoke suits and Patek Philippe watches, and they’re wearing these bracelets to give them an air of nonchalance.”

Those wishing to test the water could try wearing a bracelet between their watch and cuff (so it can be hidden by the sleeve if necessary). Busson, however, has no such fear: his are worn above the watch, in proud view. “He always has them on show, whether he’s at the Serpentine summer party or in a dinner jacket,” says Massey. “If you have to cover them up, there’s no point in wearing them in the first place.”

Why Businessmen Are Wearing Bracelets [FT]

1. Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2010 at 1:14 PM

Yet too poor to buy class

2. Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2010 at 1:17 PM

A Yakuza neck-tat or gangbanger’s black tear tat would be worthwhile news about not giving a fuck. Wearing a bracelet? That’s just queer.

3. Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2010 at 1:18 PM

I thought it was to commemorate his semester in kenya, no? The one where he saw God and she had huge cans?

4. Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2010 at 1:19 PM

Wearing ass fugly bracelets next to a Patek is a god damn travesty.

5. Posted by guest | June 7, 2010 at 1:24 PM

It’s a small world when you’ve got unbelievable chest hair.

6. Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2010 at 1:29 PM

Beads are very big right now.

7. Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2010 at 1:31 PM

I spent $1200 on this bracelet check it out guys

8. Posted by HAM05 | June 7, 2010 at 1:44 PM

@6 just so we’re on the same page, we’re talking anal beads right? big, black, connected ones??

9. Posted by PermaGuest | June 7, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Is wearing a bracelet actually considered daring? Always associated it more with shady PCS-types and guys who sell Cadillacs in Jersey…

10. Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2010 at 1:51 PM

If I were this guy, I would walk around with the anal beads have hanging out of my ass, like a tail. And I would wag my tail and hit people with it and make them pet me. Thats what I would do.

11. Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2010 at 1:58 PM

“Traditional dressing” is Cool Ranch or Thousand Island I think.

~AIG Quant

12. Posted by Anal_yst | June 7, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Echo @4

If guy had any cajones he’d just show up to work in a banana hammock to show em off

13. Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2010 at 2:15 PM

@1 as the Baroness says ‘money cant buy you class’ now repeat 400 times in a tranny tone

14. Posted by ExtraordinaryPopularDelusions | June 7, 2010 at 2:15 PM

What a poser.

J. Depp

15. Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Anal bead tails are the new killing it.

/Gundy

16. Posted by Louis Winthorpe III | June 7, 2010 at 2:29 PM

@10- I can’t wait until you “make it.”

“In fact, it’s come to be a good litmus test. You see a guy walking down Greenwich Avenue in a champion sweatsuit? Or taking lunch at the Sizzler, wearing just lobster bib and light up cock ring? You’re probably looking at a top hedge fund manager.”

@Bess- fucking genius.

17. Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2010 at 3:02 PM

@16 – I agree. I thought “Lobster bibs and light up cock rings” should have been a tag.

18. Posted by Bess Levin | June 7, 2010 at 3:05 PM

@17 It doesn’t go in the tags if I wrote the in the post. Come on.

19. Posted by guest | June 7, 2010 at 3:09 PM

@18 Oh come on what doesn’t “go” with a lobster bib & a cock ring?

20. Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2010 at 3:13 PM

I would rather have a cock-bib and a lobster ring.

/Gundsnatch

21. Posted by Gundlach's Dinosaur Tail | June 7, 2010 at 3:23 PM

Pet me while I purrrrrr.

22. Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2010 at 3:30 PM

Just when I think these European dildos can’t get any gayer…

23. Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2010 at 3:52 PM

Bess – but without a tag, how am I supposed to be able to conveniently go to the many stories covering the same subject material?

-17

24. Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Anal_yst @12:

In Spanish, “c-a-j-o-n-e-s” are the drawers that go in a desk. Using it in your sentence would read like this to a Spanish or Spanglish reader: “If guy had any desk drawers he’d just show up to work in a banana hammock to show em off.”

You meant to use “c-o-j-o-n-e-s” which refers to the golden scrotal contents of certain bankers.

25. Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2010 at 4:39 PM

The jacket he wears hides all the “AXE Chocolate” stains that resulted from over-sloshing while grooving to Vanilla Ice while getting dressed

26. Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2010 at 5:09 PM

@10 made my day. It was a slow day.

27. Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2010 at 5:28 PM

@8 racist

28. Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2010 at 5:52 PM

@10 made me laugh. Somebody needs to do this.

29. Posted by Pet Him! | June 7, 2010 at 6:17 PM

10 is quite possibly the funniest comment on these pages for the last two months. Bravo

30. Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2010 at 5:02 AM

Those beads HAVE been in Umas Ass , FACT!

– The guy who likes facts about celebs.

31. Posted by obv | June 8, 2010 at 11:48 AM

just a rubber band round my wrist no jewels ain’t got time for it I’m no fool

32. Posted by Stephaine | July 23, 2013 at 3:40 AM

the luxury bracelets are still for men age 40 above. Young generation still not like that.

33. Posted by Bridal Jewelry | October 23, 2013 at 7:50 AM

Hello dude, really like this concept. I did not know much more about whatever allocation you did about bracelets but your this article helps me a lot to let this know. I'm pretty sure that this allocation will be handy to everyone. Thanks [youtube 3dcrGhR91NM&feature=youtu.be http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dcrGhR91NM&feature=youtu.be youtube]

34. Posted by RolandWheless | January 11, 2014 at 2:05 AM

Great post !

35. Posted by loom | March 6, 2014 at 11:59 AM

Fine, this is really a good input of you about Bracelets Latest Statement Pieces For Hedge Funders Rich Enough Not To Give A Fick and your provided information here seems to me very nice from all side and that's why keep up the good work :)