News

You might not have known it at the time, but in March 2008, circa the same month Jim Cramer called him the greatest mind on Wall Street, Lenny Dykstra was going through some money trubs. This was just prior to Dykstra putting his beloved Thousand Oaks home on the market, at a selling price that indicated he believed it possible to see a 33% return on the place, after having bought it from Wayne Gretzky for $18.5 million in August 2007 and owning it for ten months. As you are probably aware, despite LD’s streak of crazy spot on the money calls, this one did not pan out as he’d predicted, and the home was foreclosed on, though not before Nails ripped out the bathroom fixtures, left “unfit to print” items on the walls and floor (knowing Dykstra, one must assume feces), and blamed the whole thing on JPMorgan née WaMu. This was also prior to the former car wash king of California being forced to live out of his car and auction off phone calls with himself on Craigslist. But we’re getting ahead of ourselves.

In March 2008, our boy, likely due to the brain damage inflicted by seeing how far he could push a Twizzler into his ear and not stopping when he felt resistance, just thought he need a little cash. Two-hundred and fifty thousand would probably do the trick, and as luck would have it, someone was offering him that exact amount!

In the late winter of 2008, an entrepreneur named Richard O’Connor, who had become Dykstra’s favored adviser, introduced him to Shannon Illingworth, the founder of a publicly traded company called Automated Vending Technologies, or AVT, and the two quickly cut a deal. O’Connor told me that on March 25, 2008, Illingworth gave Dykstra roughly $250,000 worth of AVT stock in exchange for plugging the company on Cramer’s website, TheStreet.com, and promising to provide a personal introduction to Cramer. O’Connor claims that Dykstra told him he knew the pay-to-plug arrangement was illegal. To avoid getting caught, O’Connor says, the former All-Star baseball player had a solution: “We can just put the stock in Keith’s name,” referring to his brother-in-law, Keith Peel.

And so it was done. O’Connor provided me copies of stock certificates showing that on March 25, 2008, Keith Peel was issued 250,000 shares of AVT stock, which traded at roughly $1 a share. “Keith didn’t know anything about it,” says O’Connor, maintaining that using Peel’s name was a way to stash the stock away from potential regulatory oversight. The shares were held at Dykstra’s mansion, which is where O’Connor retrieved them. Just two weeks later, on June 6, 2008, Dykstra offered his premium subscribers a curious “bonus” recommendation: a plain old penny stock named AVT, “which gives investors a lot of potential upside.” Dykstra droned on endlessly about the stock, with all the conviction of a prisoner of war extolling the cause of his captors for the cameras.

When I contacted him shortly before The Zeroes printed, AVT founder Illingworth admitted that he hired Dykstra as a consultant for his “relationships with TheStreet.com, Cramer,” and that the idea for Dykstra to tout his company’s stock was “mutual.” (Despite the certificates, Illingworth denied ever giving Dykstra or Peel $250,000 worth of stock; instead he claims the only money he gave to Dykstra was $15,000 to trade on his behalf, a sum that disappeared.)

O’Connor claims that Illingworth was angry that he didn’t get more plugs from Dykstra, or a meeting with Cramer. O’Connor also says while advising Dykstra in the first half of 2008, he saw multiple other offers from small company CEOs offering Dykstra cash in exchange for access to Cramer, though he does not know if Dykstra ever cashed in on those opportunities.

Lenny Dykstra Stock Scandal [TDB]

48 comments

48 Responses to “Lenny Dykstra Betrayed Jim Cramer’s Trust And Sullied The Good Name Of TheStreet.com For $250,000”

1. Anonymous says:

What sort of car does he live in?

2. Anonymous says:

The thing I like about global finance is that it is a pure and honest realm in which to have an honorable career.

3. Bike says:

You sleep with dogs; you get fleas. Considering this involves Cramer, why should anyone be surprised about the outcum.

4. Anonymous says:

I’ve invented an inflatable anchor. What’s his number??

5. abe frohman says:

Can I get a quote on Beecher Tool and Die?

6. Anonymous says:

@1 A white BMW 5-series with Louisiana plates

7. Anonymous says:

What are the chances the SEC misses this one……Mary Shapiro where are you?

8. The Ghost of Greg Michaels says:

Boo, assholes.

9. Anonymous says:

He lives with Kouwe in a van, down by the river.

10. Denny Deckshoes says:

“In looking for someone to hire, you look for three qualities: integrity, intelligence and energy,” said Buffet. “But the most important is integrity, because if they don’t have that, the other two qualities, intelligence and energy, are going to kill you.”

What if they just have a lot of energy?

11. Anonymous says:

Everyone knows my fascination with numbers, finance, baseball, and statistics. SEC Chairwoman maybe you should look at this one. I could do the analysis and meet with your staff, but this one is too easy, hopefully you will find it.

– Harry Markopolos

12. Anonymous says:

@10, very funny!

13. NakedShort says:

Look at the size of that Twizzler. The guy’s a Size King.

14. Anonymous says:

The bottom line is if you take investing advice/ideas from Lenny Dykstra you deserve to be broke. Cramer as well, he is a hack. Enough with Gasparino, lets focus our vitriol on Cramer, he is far more dangerous

15. Anonymous says:

Beginning in the T-ball years, one is taught to cheat successfully in the game of baseball. Is it any wonder that is migrates to other forms of industry?

~Mark M
    St. Louis, MO

16. Anonymous says:

@15 Agreed, Dealbreaker should heed its true calling to become and activist website. Next we should organize meetup groups throughout the world, then coordinate a Bess-led tour/protest/march on Wall Street, and then finally a mass JO&C suicide.

17. NakedShort says:

@17 tell me more about the logistics of the mass JO&C suicide. Consider my interest piqued.

18. Anon says:

AVT’s got upside? Just like I heard Farrow Tech had upside? Am I too late? Buy buy buy!

19. 17 says:

@18/NS,

We rent out the facilities at the Best Western Convention Center Hotel Midtown (special rate of $500/night for participants) and finance it by writing protection on BP. Bess delivers the final keynote speech. This will be enough for most commenters/activists to JO&C on their own. Convention center staff will provide dry erase markers to everyone else.

Charlie Gasparino and Dennis Kneale wait anxiously backstage for the Kool-aid distribution. Dennis Kneale is severly disappointed upon learning that no dogs are allowed into the convention center.

20. i will sell you one half-chewed-by-me twizzler for $100 and an HJ…

21. EvilBuzzard says:

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio?

22. Guest says:

After reading this I think I have fibromyalgia.

23. plang says:

dykstra is far more believable than cramer who has cost the foolish people who listen to him billions in losses….

24. acid amino says:

salutations from over the ocean. precise article I shall return for more.

25. Curt Drapeau says:

I do think that you just reach the actual toenail for the head making use of this publish

26. Genuinely, actually, genuinely, similar to this line! …Thanks a good deal

27. Keenan Beste says:

I have found considerably something totally new the subsequent. Carry on.

28. Joy Persaud says:

Thanks Person, you will be fantastic. I was searching for this precise coming from yesterday.

29. Hello Thanks .. that helped me a great deal ..:)

30. Harland Johe says:

Exceptional I’ve been using this brief report

31. Natually I’m going to will provide you with url inside your net weblog. Thank you for expressing.

32. Eddy Doler says:

My spouse and i pick up could be a lot of crying with regards to a thing that you simply may well fix in the occasion you wasn’t also hectic seeking focus.

33. Emil Jauron says:

Thank you but once again! Rather great post. I just came across your weblog in addition to wished to claim that We’ve in fact enjoyed studying your internet site posts.

34. foundations says:

Thank you. The site may be loading 40% quicker.

35. The data you have is very beneficial. Let me subscribe to your website to acquire dailly improvements.

36. A pleasant article with great suggestions.

37. Kerpen says:

Fantastic write-up! You certainly got my SU thumbs upwards!

38. Breast says:

I’m incredibly delighted which i located this kind of in my seek for one thing concerning this.

39. Eternal Moon says:

Exciting detailed justification

40. You will discover me personally nosing close to your web internet site the moment far more

41. I would state, a number of it was a little far more than my individual head, yet all in all, i liked reading via this page

42. Really entertaining internet website. I have book-marked your website at the same time as added your self our blogroll! Preserve up the genuinely excellent function.

43. I could maintain your report as published

44. editing says:

I appreciate design of the weblog! Definitely creativ

45. I merely found the website, even so i merely wanted to express i should say i liked this post, thanks.

46. Excellent thorough explanation