Are you a money manager currently ripping off your clients or considering doing so in the near future? Are you of the opinion that, if caught, you wouldn’t do so well in the big house? Then here’s a free one: convince the judge you have a gambling addiction and he just might let you a) avoid time downtown and b) let you pay off your debts to society via card games.

In exchange for the plea, authorities are letting Samuel McMaster, Jr. stay out of prison if he can earn enough money playing in poker tournaments to repay his victims. He allegedly owes more than $400,000. Prosecutors say the deal is not a get out of jail free card. McMaster’s sentencing will be delayed for six months while he participates in tournaments. He must make payments of $7,500 a month. If he misses two payments he will face immediate sentencing of up to 12 years in prison.

[ABC via BI]

1. Posted by Anonymous | August 10, 2010 at 11:59 AM

I’m gonna rise up, I’m gonna to kick a little ass, I’m gonna to kick some ass in the U.S.A., gonna climb a mountain, gonna sew a flag, gonna fly on an eagle. I’m gonna kick some butt, I’m gonna drive a big truck, I’m gonna rule this world, I’m gonna kick some ass, I’m gonna rise up, I’m gonna kick a little ass. ROCK, FLAG, and EAGLE!!

2. Posted by InfiniteGuest | August 10, 2010 at 11:59 AM

His luck is bound to turn around now.

3. Posted by DJ LIBOR | August 10, 2010 at 12:05 PM

who is this judge and where was he when chris hansen caught me drinking sweet tea in the kitchen with a 13 yr old from memphis

4. Posted by Anonymouse | August 10, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Judge must have been a WS trader/hr exec at some point in his life. Guy blows up and is given another chance to make it big doing… exactly the same thing that made him blow up.

5. Posted by Teddy KGB | August 10, 2010 at 1:10 PM

He beat me…Straight up…Pay him…Pay that man his money.

6. Posted by Anonymous | August 10, 2010 at 1:28 PM

This will make an awesome ashton kutcher movie.

7. Posted by Anonymous | August 10, 2010 at 2:08 PM

I picture this ending in a very “boogie nights” downward spiral scene montage, with McMaster, Jr. playing the role of Colonel James in the jaillhouse sequence…

– another dude that wants more Soviet Russia jokes

8. Posted by Anonymous | August 10, 2010 at 2:19 PM

Debts to society are the fucking rake

9. Posted by Anonymous | August 10, 2010 at 2:21 PM

In Soviet Russia, gambling has addiction to you!