According to this email, yes. Seems that the future business leaders of the world are just so excited to show potential employers what they’ve got that they 1) get up into recruiters’ asses more than is socially acceptable and 2) cockblock their friends from doing ths same. The lack of finesse is apparently embarrassing the school and has resulted in a list of rules to live by during networking events, with heavy emphasis on Circle Etiquette.

To: ‘ibc-members@bettyblue.gsb.columbia.edu’
Cc: ibc-board@bettyblue.gsb.columbia.edu
Subject: [IBC] Break-out Sessions with Bankers–PLEASE READ CAREFULLY

Dear 1st years –

It has come to our attention that some of you have already managed to become notorious for their willingness to elbow their peers out of the circle around senior bankers and virtually attack the bankers with questions, thus preventing other students from networking and participating in the conversation. This is never a good strategy and acting in a socially undesirable way runs a strong risk of branding you as undesirable not just to your classmates but also to recruiters. Once you feel that you have asked a couple of questions, and perhaps received a business card, do not monopolize the banker’s time by standing around awkwardly or asking additional questions. Let your classmates play as well. Furthermore, such behavior shows that you are aggressive and non-collegial, and therefore not a pleasant person to work 100-hour weeks with.

Bankers are very observant people. Moreover, it is much easier to remember somebody with a bad impression than with a good impression – do not smother the bankers with too many questions.

§ If you see a classmate standing behind you, step aside and let them in the circle around the banker – it shows team work

§ Ask a couple of questions and then move on or remain silent and let your classmates interact as well

§ If there are 6-7 students around 1 banker, you do not want to ask more than one or two questions

§ If there are 2-3 students you can ask a few more questions if you feel you are bonding well, but always be considerate toward your classmates – use your best judgment

§ If you feel you have spend a good 15-20 minutes with one banker, it is ok to excuse yourself politely and ask for a business card

§ If the banker has run out of business cards and you have one, offer to share with your classmates

§ Remember that these events are also meant to screen for those who can one day win business from clients – treat the recruiters the way you would treat a multi-billion dollar client

§ Do not monopolize recruiter’s time – especially the senior bankers. Talk to the junior bankers as well – they often are take the first stab at drafting invite only lists

§ Do not be fake and superficial in your attempt to shine – bankers interact with tens of people on a daily basis and can easily spot fake from genuine behavior

§ Do not overwhelm bankers with questions when they are taking a small break (i.e. chewing food) – remember they are also human beings and have had a very long day at work.

§ Do not get drunk or gobble down food in front of bankers no matter how hungry and tired you are

§ Do not be intimidated to let your personality shine – being stuck-up is never a good strategy – be pleasant, be fun, smile, and stay professional

Your aim at these sessions is not to compete with your classmates, but to impress the bankers. Be smart about it – this is not rocket science!

Use your social intelligence and best judgment. Be a team player. Be considerate to your peers. This will help not only you, but also the school, look professional and desirable.

Thank you and good luck.

IBC Board

1. Posted by Columbia_2011 | October 18, 2010 at 1:59 PM

Didn’t see any mention about hiring a prostie to interact with bankers on my behalf. Should I take that to mean it’s still okay?

2. Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Most importantly, make sure to let your female classmates get up off their knees before you trample them. Teamwork people, teamwork.

3. Posted by Guest | October 18, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Dear IBC Board,

TLDR.

Regards,
    1st Years

4. Posted by Guest | October 18, 2010 at 2:02 PM

LOL at the notion that the male classmates aren’t offering B and HJ’s in exchange for a job.

5. Posted by Bernard 'Beanie' Campbell | October 18, 2010 at 2:03 PM

I’m here for the gangbang

6. Posted by Guest | October 18, 2010 at 2:09 PM

Smothering a banker is the NKI.

7. Posted by guest | October 18, 2010 at 2:16 PM

“Furthermore, such behavior shows that you are aggressive and non-collegial, and therefore not a pleasant person to work 100-hour weeks with.”

Columbia administration ending a sentence with a preposition in the NKI.

8. Posted by Mike M. | October 18, 2010 at 2:17 PM

I so vividly remember these events. God, what an awful experience.

9. Posted by Hamilton | October 18, 2010 at 2:21 PM

Do asspiring CFAs also smother?

10. Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Go big or go home- ZJ’s for all VPs and up from major banks.

11. Posted by Dr. Rosenrose | October 18, 2010 at 2:26 PM

Not to mention “It has come to our attention that some of you have already managed to become notorious for their willingness to elbow their peers…” That ain’t legal either dude.

12. Posted by CBS 2012 | October 18, 2010 at 2:28 PM

Bess, we got another batshit insane email over the weekend from these funbags about “personal hygiene”.

13. Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2010 at 2:29 PM

bah that’s perfectly fine English and better than “…person with whom to work 100-hour weeks.”

This sentence on the other hand is gobbledygook:
    “Talk to the junior bankers as well – they often are take the first stab at drafting invite only lists”

14. Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2010 at 2:30 PM

I am having troble with my ettiqute. Can anyone inform me if it is wrong to blow off the same Russian “model’s” tit as the senior banker, or should I be doing it off the junior bankers ass?

15. Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2010 at 2:34 PM

Exhibit 27a as to why engineers shouldnt be let into Bschool.

16. Posted by Derivative deviant | October 18, 2010 at 2:34 PM

only if she is female…

17. Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2010 at 2:43 PM

Only if enough pressure is appled to the pillow to stop air flow.

18. Posted by Supraman | October 18, 2010 at 2:43 PM

“If you feel you have spend a good 15-20 minutes with one banker”

As a proofreading exercise, this list is the list that just keeps on giving.

19. Posted by Mack | October 18, 2010 at 2:54 PM

Smother me in gravy you big dirty man

20. Posted by Guest | October 18, 2010 at 3:15 PM

isn’t this just the new normal?

21. Posted by Guest | October 18, 2010 at 3:15 PM

erroneous on both counts!

22. Posted by G. Gekko | October 18, 2010 at 3:20 PM

Events like these are why I avoided banking like the plague. It is beyond my comprehension why anyone would elbow through a pack of greaseballs just to kiss the ass of a beleaguered, overworked banker—in a pathetic attempt to join the ranks of the beleaguered and overworked—when cushy buy-side jobs offer all of the pay (and then some) with none of the bullshit. Perhaps someone here can enlighten me.

23. Posted by Columbia Admin | October 18, 2010 at 3:28 PM

“Furthermore, such behavior shows that you are aggressive and non-collegial, and therefore not a pleasant person to work 100-hour weeks with, asshole.”

24. Posted by Mikael | October 18, 2010 at 3:43 PM

buy side is the new sell side ( interact with the clients whose money we blew) and sell side is the new backoffice . if you get my drift… we are all going down a rank

25. Posted by guest | October 18, 2010 at 4:14 PM

how do they make those bullet points?

26. Posted by The Real General Tso | October 18, 2010 at 5:16 PM

what a bunch of GD nerds

27. Posted by Guest | October 18, 2010 at 5:28 PM

the DB-fu is within you, my son.

~ the ghost-spawn of GM/Kouwe

28. Posted by 1_upper | October 18, 2010 at 7:35 PM

I have a 4.0 and can sign 300 foreclosures an hour.

HBS 2011

29. Posted by John Q.P. | October 18, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Screw these bankers, and the wankers who love them!

30. Posted by Richard Cripples | October 18, 2010 at 8:03 PM

Normally, we tell people to “be themselves” in situations like these. For CBS students we tell them “be someone else, someone normal and not annoying… in fact, be the exact opposite of yourself.”

31. Posted by CBS Alumni Interviewer | October 18, 2010 at 8:19 PM

Use your social intelligence and best judgment – presumably they already are

32. Posted by Maevejameson | October 18, 2010 at 8:20 PM

Do not expose the banker to bright lights.
    Do not get the banker wet.
    And never, never, feed the banker after midnight.

33. Posted by Lew Dunbar | October 18, 2010 at 8:39 PM

I was never able to become a banker.

[Newman has a revelation.]

Newman: Banker! So you’re killing yourself because your dreams of becoming a banker have gone unfulfilled. You-you-you-you can’t live without being a banker.

Kramer: Yeah, yeah. If I can’t be banker, I don’t wanna live.

Newman: You must be banker.

Kramer: MUST be banker.

34. Posted by Andy Nguyen | October 19, 2010 at 1:48 AM

Respond to the email by a head hunter

35. Posted by Guest | October 19, 2010 at 9:24 PM

I can’t help but think that most of the people mocking this are the same assholes who piss off the bankers. Retards. Learn to take some constructive criticism from someone trying to help (even if it is to ultimately help the school image).

36. Posted by Guest | October 19, 2010 at 10:00 PM

Poor attention to detail IBC Board. You just got bottom tier comp for the year. Remember when sending condescending emails to your peers, write them as if they were going to a multi-billion dollar client.

37. Posted by Guest | October 19, 2010 at 10:08 PM

FYI 90% of the people mocking this are likely either bankers or buyside.

38. Posted by Guest | October 19, 2010 at 10:30 PM

correct

39. Posted by anonymous | October 20, 2010 at 2:49 PM

seriously – there must have been a real reason to send that email – real complaints from recruiters. the student was just doing their job, trying to prevent the issues pointed out to occur again. such emails are sent out all the time schools and companies. it is unbelievable that somebody would leak such email out of context.

40. Posted by NakedShort | October 18, 2010 at 2:03 PM

Really throw those senior bankers and your classmates for a loop and ask them the best way to get into retail.

41. Posted by Anti DB | October 18, 2010 at 2:10 PM

I have a 4.0 and can sign 300 mortgages an hour
    CBS 2012

42. Posted by COKED OUT BANKER | October 18, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Yes, bankers are very observant people. Now watch this banker get titty slapped by a coked out Russian stripper.

43. Posted by Maynard Nipple | October 18, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Also, the you/their pronoun disagreement in the first sentence. Methinks this email was written by an ESL board member.

44. Posted by Guest | October 18, 2010 at 8:19 PM

“bankers interact with tens of people on a daily basis” my god, bankers are awesome. HOW DO THEY DO IT??

45. Posted by Guest | October 18, 2010 at 8:19 PM

46. Posted by Guest | October 19, 2010 at 11:04 PM

I agree

47. Posted by Guest | October 19, 2010 at 11:04 PM

I agree

48. Posted by l33t | October 20, 2010 at 1:49 AM

Columbia LOSS, FTW!

49. Posted by l33t | October 20, 2010 at 1:49 AM

Columbia LOSS, FTW!

50. Posted by ColumbiaBschoolalumni | December 30, 2010 at 7:53 AM

this smells like bullshit to me
    (Columbia Business School alumni ’03)

51. Posted by small business advice company | April 19, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Once again, the problem is with the government. Marriage IS a religious act. The government decided to use it as a definition for an entitlement under law. Dont change the definition, change the list of whos entitled.

52. Posted by cho dien thoai | April 27, 2012 at 12:23 AM

I¡¦ve learn some excellent stuff here. Definitely value bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how much effort you set to make the sort of excellent informative web site.

53. Posted by edible arrangements franchise | April 27, 2012 at 9:40 AM

After examine a number of of the blog posts on your website now, and I truly like your method of blogging. I bookmarked it to my bookmark website list and will be checking again soon. Pls try my site as properly and let me know what you think.

54. Posted by Man Keltz jsoe | April 28, 2012 at 1:36 PM

?This is a captivating boots. It looks chichi and it does not look huge on a shallow person. This is a most indubitably great buy.

55. Posted by ako webmail | May 3, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Please email me with a few hints on how you made your site look this cool , Id be thankful.

56. Posted by Taller Instantly | August 29, 2012 at 2:11 PM

The themе of your blog is really fresh, I am positivе that the fоlkѕ who will finԁ your blogѕ will apprеciate youг content
    аnd pointeгs.

57. Posted by nipple Covers | August 31, 2012 at 8:27 AM

Hey there! This is kind of off tοpic but I need
    somе guіdance from an established blog.
    Ιs it vеry ԁifficult to set
    up your own blog? І’m not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty fast. I’m
    thinking abоut setting up my oωn but I’m not sure where to start. Do you have any points or suggestions? Thanks

58. Posted by Warren | August 31, 2012 at 10:52 AM

I have to admit, I аm more amazed by the so callеd generic commentег” than by
    thе blatant spammer. Why? аt least the spammer
    is comрletеlу open and honeѕt with their spam!

We саn spot what they are tryіng to
    do. The so called genеric spammer iѕ a cheаt and
    аlso а fаker! You cаn probаbly notice that I have very strong opinіonѕ
    towaгd this group of “indіviduаls”

59. Posted by Finlay | August 31, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Eԁuсational material! Finallу someоnе that κnows what it is all about and cаn as wеll produce гeаdable blog foг us readers.
    Eagerly lοoking forωаrԁ to
    yοur next articlе.

60. Posted by best scissors lifts | September 1, 2012 at 4:29 AM

The concеpt of youг blog is refrеshingly fгeѕh, I’m certain that the visitors that find your blogs surely benefit your content and points of view.

61. Posted by Jack Goudelock | September 10, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Magnificent website. Lots of helpful information here. I am sending it to several friends ans additionally sharing in delicious. And naturally, thank you for your sweat!

62. Posted by arcarlinege | September 19, 2012 at 3:38 AM

twqpjvnp [url=http://frvuittonsoldes.webnode.fr/#8455]sac vuitton pas chern[/url] wjvsftty louis vuitton soldesk oydphfby http://frvuittonsoldes.webnode.fr/

63. Posted by self improvement | September 26, 2012 at 6:24 AM

A person essentially help to make seriously articles I would state. This is the first time I frequented your website page and thus far? I surprised with the research you made to make this particular publish incredible. Fantastic job!

64. Posted by Poles Marmer | October 5, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Thank u very much guys.Love u… :-)

65. Posted by guild wars 2 gold | October 14, 2012 at 4:18 AM

I would like to show some thanks to you just for bailing me out of such a condition. After checking through the world wide web and seeing ways which were not productive, I was thinking my life was well over. Being alive minus the approaches to the difficulties you’ve resolved as a result of this short article is a serious case, as well as the ones which could have in a negative way damaged my entire career if I hadn’t noticed your blog. Your competence and kindness in dealing with all the details was excellent. I’m not sure what I would’ve done if I hadn’t come upon such a step like this. I can at this point look forward to my future. Thanks so much for the high quality and results-oriented help. I won’t hesitate to refer your web blog to anybody who should receive tips on this topic.