News

DE Shaw Layoffs Leave Their Mark

The tradition of having your wedding announced in the Times Sunday Style section is a long and venerated one. Not to minimize the whole finding of one’s soul mate aspect, but for many, the announcement is reason they’re getting married. So it had to have chafed pretty badly for one couple when the husband’s employer, a shop known for its intelligence but apparently not so much its sensitivity, ruined the whole thing.

Until last week, the bridegroom, 33, worked at D. E. Shaw & Company, an investment and technology development firm in New York, where he was a developer of software for trading and investing on stock exchanges.

It’s one thing to layoff ten percent of your staff but when you fuck with the Times announcement, you go too far. This could’ve waited.

29 comments

29 Responses to “DE Shaw Layoffs Leave Their Mark”

1. I am a genius. What is unemployment?

2. Letitia Baldrage says:

That’s far too much integrity for Wall Street. Bridgegroom could have massaged the dates a bit to cover the bad news– unless his U5 was included in the wedding ceremony program.

3. tits says:

WTF is this guy complaining about? Being a genius he should have known this kind of shit happens at DE Shaw all the time and it’s no big fucking deal.

What an idiot savant.

4. Guest says:

Increased NYT Wedding Section potential was one of the reasons why I considered making gf #2 into gf #1, but ultimately I couldn’t stomach the extra lbs. I’d have to deal with on a more regular basis, among other things.

You’re in a good spot if you make it to that esteemed section, but very unfortunate timing for the aforementioned ex-Shaw genius.

5. Anon says:

know how I know you’re gay?

6. {o Koa20 says:

The geeks at the Shaw shop need to goose up on EQ. And stock up markers.

– P. Jiang

7. Golddigger says:

Did the wedding actually take place? It’s not like he works for D.E. Shaw anymore.

8. Really dude? says:

Wow in less than 50 words you’ve proven yourself to be insecure, immature, morally-bankrupt, petty and nearly illiterate. Other than that…

9. Guest says:

I’ll concede that came off a bit gay but the underlying point is that the connections from the other family that would presumably get you into the NYT would be at your disposal for life. Just weighing all the factors.

10. Guest says:

Meet me at Minetta’s. I’ll be the one passing out Abacus prospectuses and looking insecure while wearing Ray-Bans and a backwards Yankees hat. Read the menu to me before you punch me in the face so I know it’s you.

11. Gozer says:

I am fluent in 3 sections

12. Rho2Gamma says:

In Soviet Russia, he would have always been unemployed.
    -Guy trying to see if bludgeoning the horse will revive it.

13. Anonymous says:

The NYT will check the details, and you have no real control over what they decide to put in the announcement beyond the basic facts. That, and the frustrated journalism-school types who edit the Styles section (but would rather be in the Washington bureau or Afghanistan) probably get their jollies putting in s*** like that about Wall Street guys.

-Guy who’s been there…

14. STARStruck says:

STAR is loving this right now. *Meep* *whirr*

15. Guest says:

Soo … Hoo?

16. Guest says:

Guy is from Serbia, loses his job and presumably his visa, then immediately gets married to an American citizen. Coincidence?

17. Commodore 64 says:

I wanted to know DE Shaw’s trading secrets, so I grabbed one of their 5 1/4″ floppies and typed the following:

LOAD “$” ,8,1

Let me tell you firsthand, their code is impressive.

18. Anonymous says:

Umm… not sure the “society”/whatever connections required to get on the NYT wedding page are necessarily those that lead to a stable/normal relationship, let alone one that lasts “for life.” More likely to involve Daddy on wife #3, Mommy on live-in boyfriend #3, little sis smoking dope and making socks out of soda can rings in Bennington, VT, big brother a “performance artist” with his “companion” in San Francisco, and Grandpa downing 10 scotches a night whilst reminiscing about the good old days when insider trading was legal and they wouldn’t let Jews and Catholics into the Racquet Club.

19. David says:

This posting is consistent with all NYT Sunday Styles announcements, where the Times has to verify employment. There have been may other announcements, which state that “until recently or until September…” Regards, David E. Shaw

20. Anonymous says:

So Amelia Katherine Seewann walks into a bar and orders a chardonnay. Bartender says “why the long face?”

21. Tongueincheekguy says:

wow.. I cannot believe it but the Minetta’s thing never gets old…

22. Adanalyst says:

Is that a hairy, black flounder on the Brown Guy’s head??

23. CBSD says:

“where he was a developer of software for trading and investing on stock exchanges.”

Score! She got herself an unemployed nerd! That’s the NKI.

24. Vladimir Brankov says:

Free advertisement in the Times when looking for work is the NKI, bitches.

25. AMC Zombie says:

No. I ate it.

26. Ditto to Ginny re: posting the earlier letters for new subscribers. Alsocan you inform us who wrote the January letters?

27. Cecily Fosso says:

Pleasant tips of dealing with Ads but this is a hard subject. I hate heading to a internet site with loads of ads on the webpage but I understand that internet websites need to display ads in order to make money, grow bigger and provide better articles. Most of time I use the ad blocker extension in Chrome so never see any ads.I like the minimalist ads, which is why on my web site I only display one particular ad but charge a premium for that company to be that one particular ad. I am sure I could make more money by putting more ads on the webpage but you must think about ranking and style and design before adding more ads on the webpage.

Our Sites