• 01 Nov 2010 at 11:52 AM

DE Shaw Layoffs Leave Their Mark

The tradition of having your wedding announced in the Times Sunday Style section is a long and venerated one. Not to minimize the whole finding of one’s soul mate aspect, but for many, the announcement is reason they’re getting married. So it had to have chafed pretty badly for one couple when the husband’s employer, a shop known for its intelligence but apparently not so much its sensitivity, ruined the whole thing.

Until last week, the bridegroom, 33, worked at D. E. Shaw & Company, an investment and technology development firm in New York, where he was a developer of software for trading and investing on stock exchanges.

It’s one thing to layoff ten percent of your staff but when you fuck with the Times announcement, you go too far. This could’ve waited.

1. Posted by Mitch Cumstein | November 1, 2010 at 3:59 PM

I am a genius. What is unemployment?

2. Posted by Letitia Baldrage | November 1, 2010 at 4:02 PM

That’s far too much integrity for Wall Street. Bridgegroom could have massaged the dates a bit to cover the bad news– unless his U5 was included in the wedding ceremony program.

3. Posted by tits | November 1, 2010 at 4:07 PM

WTF is this guy complaining about? Being a genius he should have known this kind of shit happens at DE Shaw all the time and it’s no big fucking deal.

What an idiot savant.

4. Posted by Guest | November 1, 2010 at 4:22 PM

Increased NYT Wedding Section potential was one of the reasons why I considered making gf #2 into gf #1, but ultimately I couldn’t stomach the extra lbs. I’d have to deal with on a more regular basis, among other things.

You’re in a good spot if you make it to that esteemed section, but very unfortunate timing for the aforementioned ex-Shaw genius.

5. Posted by Anon | November 1, 2010 at 4:32 PM

know how I know you’re gay?

6. Posted by {o Koa20 | November 1, 2010 at 4:33 PM

The geeks at the Shaw shop need to goose up on EQ. And stock up markers.

- P. Jiang

7. Posted by Golddigger | November 1, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Did the wedding actually take place? It’s not like he works for D.E. Shaw anymore.

8. Posted by Really dude? | November 1, 2010 at 4:50 PM

Wow in less than 50 words you’ve proven yourself to be insecure, immature, morally-bankrupt, petty and nearly illiterate. Other than that…

9. Posted by Guest | November 1, 2010 at 4:55 PM

I’ll concede that came off a bit gay but the underlying point is that the connections from the other family that would presumably get you into the NYT would be at your disposal for life. Just weighing all the factors.

10. Posted by Guest | November 1, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Meet me at Minetta’s. I’ll be the one passing out Abacus prospectuses and looking insecure while wearing Ray-Bans and a backwards Yankees hat. Read the menu to me before you punch me in the face so I know it’s you.

11. Posted by Gozer | November 1, 2010 at 5:11 PM

I am fluent in 3 sections

12. Posted by Rho2Gamma | November 1, 2010 at 5:11 PM

In Soviet Russia, he would have always been unemployed.
    -Guy trying to see if bludgeoning the horse will revive it.

13. Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2010 at 5:15 PM

The NYT will check the details, and you have no real control over what they decide to put in the announcement beyond the basic facts. That, and the frustrated journalism-school types who edit the Styles section (but would rather be in the Washington bureau or Afghanistan) probably get their jollies putting in s*** like that about Wall Street guys.

-Guy who’s been there…

14. Posted by STARStruck | November 1, 2010 at 5:27 PM

STAR is loving this right now. *Meep* *whirr*

15. Posted by Guest | November 1, 2010 at 5:31 PM

Soo … Hoo?

16. Posted by Guest | November 1, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Guy is from Serbia, loses his job and presumably his visa, then immediately gets married to an American citizen. Coincidence?

17. Posted by Commodore 64 | November 1, 2010 at 5:49 PM

I wanted to know DE Shaw’s trading secrets, so I grabbed one of their 5 1/4″ floppies and typed the following:

LOAD “$” ,8,1

Let me tell you firsthand, their code is impressive.

18. Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2010 at 6:04 PM

Umm… not sure the “society”/whatever connections required to get on the NYT wedding page are necessarily those that lead to a stable/normal relationship, let alone one that lasts “for life.” More likely to involve Daddy on wife #3, Mommy on live-in boyfriend #3, little sis smoking dope and making socks out of soda can rings in Bennington, VT, big brother a “performance artist” with his “companion” in San Francisco, and Grandpa downing 10 scotches a night whilst reminiscing about the good old days when insider trading was legal and they wouldn’t let Jews and Catholics into the Racquet Club.

19. Posted by David | November 1, 2010 at 6:14 PM

This posting is consistent with all NYT Sunday Styles announcements, where the Times has to verify employment. There have been may other announcements, which state that “until recently or until September…” Regards, David E. Shaw

20. Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2010 at 7:08 PM

So Amelia Katherine Seewann walks into a bar and orders a chardonnay. Bartender says “why the long face?”

21. Posted by Adanalyst | November 1, 2010 at 7:11 PM

Is that a hairy, black flounder on the Brown Guy’s head??

22. Posted by Tongueincheekguy | November 1, 2010 at 7:10 PM

wow.. I cannot believe it but the Minetta’s thing never gets old…

23. Posted by CBSD | November 1, 2010 at 7:47 PM

“where he was a developer of software for trading and investing on stock exchanges.”

Score! She got herself an unemployed nerd! That’s the NKI.

24. Posted by Vladimir Brankov | November 2, 2010 at 12:33 PM

Free advertisement in the Times when looking for work is the NKI, bitches.

25. Posted by AMC Zombie | November 2, 2010 at 2:24 PM

No. I ate it.

26. Posted by Wedding Guest | November 1, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Good to see you were concerned about the timing of the firings too.

27. Posted by Guest | December 24, 2010 at 3:23 AM

happy holidays. hope you found some work!

28. Posted by Julienne Maricich | September 19, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Ditto to Ginny re: posting the earlier letters for new subscribers. Alsocan you inform us who wrote the January letters?

29. Posted by Cecily Fosso | September 19, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Pleasant tips of dealing with Ads but this is a hard subject. I hate heading to a internet site with loads of ads on the webpage but I understand that internet websites need to display ads in order to make money, grow bigger and provide better articles. Most of time I use the ad blocker extension in Chrome so never see any ads.I like the minimalist ads, which is why on my web site I only display one particular ad but charge a premium for that company to be that one particular ad. I am sure I could make more money by putting more ads on the webpage but you must think about ranking and style and design before adding more ads on the webpage.