- 24 Jan 2011 at 10:30 AM
Bob Diamond will stamp his authority on Barclays next month, when the incoming chief executive announces a radical overhaul of the way it pays its top bankers as part of a broader strategic review that could see the group shed staff and put increased pressure on underperforming businesses. According to people close to the plans, Mr Diamond aims to use innovative bonds – so-called contingent convertibles, or cocos – to pay a large portion of the bonuses for more than 1,000 bankers, those ranked at managing director level and above.
Next up: layoffs.
Barclays is also planning to announce a broad-based review of its operations, pinpointing underperforming units and setting strict improvement targets. Mr Diamond was likely to extend an ongoing cost-cutting exercise at Barclays Capital, the investment banking unit, across the group, bankers said. If the scale of the BarCap cuts was replicated group-wide, it would mean more than 3,000 job losses.
- Bob Diamond's Got All Kinds Of Exciting Stuff Planned For Barclays January 24, 2011
- Wharton Alums Not Interested In Spending Any More Time Together Than Absolutely Necessary July 24, 2014
- Ken Griffin's Title As World's Richest Illinoisan In Peril July 24, 2014
- Deutsche Bank CFO Probably Doing Some Soul-Searching Right About Now July 23, 2014
- Memo To Herbalife: Bill Ackman Will Make This An Extracurricular Activity If He Has To July 24, 2014
- Opening Bell: 07.24.14 July 24, 2014
- Bill Ackman Hates The Hell Out Of Herbalife Because God Damnit He Loves America July 22, 2014
- Don't Start Your Pershing Square Redemption Pool Just Yet July 23, 2014
- Women In Business Are Drinking Their Way Through The Glass Ceiling July 21, 2014
- Federal Reserve Suggests Deutsche Bank Just Scrap The Whole Thing And Start Over July 22, 2014
- Executive Editor
- Bess Levin
How Can We Help You?
- Send tips to:
- For tech issues email:
- For advertising or events email:
- For research or custom solutions email:
- Dealbreaker is published by Breaking Media.
For a full list of our sites, services and staff visit breakingmedia.com