- 24 Jan 2011 at 10:30 AM
Bob Diamond will stamp his authority on Barclays next month, when the incoming chief executive announces a radical overhaul of the way it pays its top bankers as part of a broader strategic review that could see the group shed staff and put increased pressure on underperforming businesses. According to people close to the plans, Mr Diamond aims to use innovative bonds – so-called contingent convertibles, or cocos – to pay a large portion of the bonuses for more than 1,000 bankers, those ranked at managing director level and above.
Next up: layoffs.
Barclays is also planning to announce a broad-based review of its operations, pinpointing underperforming units and setting strict improvement targets. Mr Diamond was likely to extend an ongoing cost-cutting exercise at Barclays Capital, the investment banking unit, across the group, bankers said. If the scale of the BarCap cuts was replicated group-wide, it would mean more than 3,000 job losses.
- Jefferies Exec Sage Kelly (Allegedly!) Lets Analysts Deal With His 28k Strip Club Tabs
- Jefferies Exec Sage Kelly Taking A Timeout From Investment Banking
- Hedge Fund Manager Keeps A Detailed Record Of All The Asses He's Grabbed
- Jefferies Exec Sage Kelly (Allegedly!) Employs Unorthodox Approach For Landing Clients (Update)
- Jefferies Management Letting Clean Urine Samples Do The Talking
- Money Manager Holding Credit Suisse's Funds Hostage Elevates The Whole "I'm 5 Minutes Away!" Text When You Haven't Yet Left Your Apartment To A New Level
- Things Could Be Worse But They Could Also Be Better At Jefferies Right Now
- Jefferies Exec Details All The Places He's Never Mistaken For A Toilet
- Opening Bell: 10.31.14
- Banker Who Faked His Own Death Fielding Hedge Fund Jobs Offers Left And Right, Says Banker Who Faked His Own Death
- Executive Editor
- Bess Levin
How Can We Help You?
- Send tips to:
- For tech issues email:
- For advertising or events email:
- For research or custom solutions email:
- Dealbreaker is published by Breaking Media.
For a full list of our sites, services and staff visit breakingmedia.com