- 24 Jan 2011 at 10:30 AM
Bob Diamond will stamp his authority on Barclays next month, when the incoming chief executive announces a radical overhaul of the way it pays its top bankers as part of a broader strategic review that could see the group shed staff and put increased pressure on underperforming businesses. According to people close to the plans, Mr Diamond aims to use innovative bonds – so-called contingent convertibles, or cocos – to pay a large portion of the bonuses for more than 1,000 bankers, those ranked at managing director level and above.
Next up: layoffs.
Barclays is also planning to announce a broad-based review of its operations, pinpointing underperforming units and setting strict improvement targets. Mr Diamond was likely to extend an ongoing cost-cutting exercise at Barclays Capital, the investment banking unit, across the group, bankers said. If the scale of the BarCap cuts was replicated group-wide, it would mean more than 3,000 job losses.
- Jefferies Exec Details All The Places He's Never Mistaken For A Toilet
- Every Sexual Harassment Allegation Against Fired Female HSBC Exec Is Worse Than The Last
- George Soros's Daughter-In-Law Wants To See The Part Of The Pre-Nup Where She Isn't Entitled To Every Last Cent
- If You've Got Train Fare, UBS Has Got An Exciting Opportunity In Stamford For You
- HSBC Adds Another Notch To The Ole 'Sued By An Employee Who Was Punished After Reporting Sexual Harassment' Belt
- Ken Griffin Introduces The Concept Of His Divorce Voice
- Bill Ackman Can't Possibly Be Expected To Remember All The Great Ideas He's Ever Had
- Opening Bell: 10.24.14
- Ray Dalio Will Not Have Some 2-Bit Ex-Employees Trading On His Name, Not Even If They've Got The Moves Of Fred Astaire
- Hedge Fund Manager Not Impressed By Marissa Mayer’s Victory Speech
- Executive Editor
- Bess Levin
How Can We Help You?
- Send tips to:
- For tech issues email:
- For advertising or events email:
- For research or custom solutions email:
- Dealbreaker is published by Breaking Media.
For a full list of our sites, services and staff visit breakingmedia.com