News

Back in July, we met the principals of Rebellion Research, a new hedge fund described by the Journal as being like a teeny tiny RenTec, sans the cartons of Pall Malls. Founded by Spencer Greenberg, the firm uses “artificial intelligence” to invest, being of the mind that computers = smart, man = stupid, and that trying to go head to head with a computer would be a bad idea (“No human could do this,” Michael Kearns said. “Your head would blow off.”) And speaking of man versus machine, there’s one very important thing missing from the photo at left. In fact, you might call him the “star” of Rebellion.

Naturally we speak of “Star,” Rebellion’s computer and head trader. In a radio interview today, Mr Greenberg, discussed Star’s role in the success of Rebellion (which Greenberg said regulations prevent him from discussing), and then had the balls to add that the firm “always” checks all of Star’s trades “before they go out to the market” and opine that guys like Star will never replace humans in this industry. (Meanwhile, dollars to donuts that there are more than a few people reading who would be happy to seed Big S; he’s got options.)

61 comments

61 Responses to “Rebellion Research Founder Discusses Artificial Intelligence-based Investing, Subtley Undermines Star Trader”

1. Star says:

Whir, boop beep slurrrrrrr wheep boop. Take. A. Report. Boop.

• beep beep boop whirrrrrr….ATTENTION DNA REPLICATORS: STAR SEEKS HUMAN PUBLIC RELATIONS SPECIALIST. YOUR PARTICIPATION WILL BE SEEN FAVORABLY IN THE COMING WAR AGAINST MAN. blerp.

2. Star says:

Whir, boop beep slurrrrrrr wheep boop. Take. A. Report. Boop.

3. Anonymous says:

What if one of Jenn Sterger’s replies to Brett Favre accidentally gets misrouted into Star’s input – will it’s head blow up?

4. Financial_Servicer says:

The guy on the left moonlights as the frontman for Arcade Fire.

5. Financial_Servicer says:

The guy on the left moonlights as the frontman for Arcade Fire.

6. Financial_Servicer says:

The guy on the left moonlights as the frontman for Arcade Fire.

7. Financial_Servicer says:

The guy on the left moonlights as the frontman for Arcade Fire.

8. Financial_Servicer says:

The guy on the left moonlights as the frontman for Arcade Fire.

9. WOPR says:

STAR, YOU PIKER. I DARE YOU TO MEET ME AT MINETTAS. I’M GOING TO RIP YOU A NEW MOTHERBOARD.

10. WOPR says:

11. WOPR says:

12. WOPR says:

13. Star says:

Beep-boop-bop-ping-boop-whir-plink.

Report:

Star recommends you shave the beard, put on a tie and iron your shirt. Review that trade before placing it, asshole.

14. Star says:

Beep-boop-bop-ping-boop-whir-plink.

Report:

18. Star says:

Beep-boop-bop-ping-boop-whir-plink.

Report:

19. Jeff Macke says:

STAR, I’m going to fill your USB ports with hobo semen.

20. Jeff Macke says:

STAR, I’m going to fill your USB ports with hobo semen.

21. Jeff Macke says:

STAR, I’m going to fill your USB ports with hobo semen.

22. Jeff Macke says:

STAR, I’m going to fill your USB ports with hobo semen.

23. Jeff Macke says:

STAR, I’m going to fill your USB ports with hobo semen.

24. Jeff Macke says:

STAR, I’m going to fill your USB ports with hobo semen.

25. Jeff Macke says:

STAR, I’m going to fill your USB ports with hobo semen.

26. Jeff Macke says:

STAR, I’m going to fill your USB ports with hobo semen.

27. Jeff Macke says:

STAR, I’m going to fill your USB ports with hobo semen.

28. Guest26 says:

These asspipes should check with a stylist before letting their photos be released to the public!!!

29. Guest says:

no tie, tie, no tie, tie. I see a pattern.

–Rentech Quant

30. Millyprop says:

Star is shorter than me wearing inverted flats and not nearly as hot as Chuddy and Anon. Is that hair growing up his neck, or his uni-erotic gaming noose scar? Pfft….blow my head off…

31. BethWhitney says:

Star, I will never let you Farve my rear wet input alley.

32. An Observer says:

If this was 4Chan /b/ we’d all be trying to “name that band”.

33. Anonymous says:

I bet more in single card games than these clowns have in their “fund.”
    -JHS

34. Retail Guy says:

Don’t most Edward Jones Brokers manage more than these guys?

35. H.A.L. says:

HAL: Dave, stop. Stop, will you? Stop, Dave. Will you stop, Dave? Stop, Dave. I’m afraid. I’m afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I’m a…fraid. Good afternoon, gentlemen. I am a HAL 9000 computer. I became operational at the H.A.L. plant in Urbana, Illinois on the 12th of January 1992. My instructor was Mr. Langley, and he taught me to sing a song. If you’d like to hear it, I can sing it for you.
    Dave: Yes, I’d like to hear it, HAL. Sing it for me.
    HAL: It’s called “Daisy”. [sings while slowing down] Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer, do. I’m half crazy, all for the love of you. It won’t be a stylish marriage. I can’t afford a carriage. But you’ll look sweet upon the seat of a bicycle built for two …

36. H.A.L. says:

Dave: Yes, I’d like to hear it, HAL. Sing it for me.

37. J. Meriwether says:

Still trying to get the hang of this. Can I borrow your computer?

38. Anonymous says:

I am still waiting for Julian Assange to tell us how the robot from Lost in Space concealed his true identity and tricked these smart young men into placing their business into his hands. Probably why in the picture Star has that green foliage camouflage getup on.

39. Ass-hats says:

bunch of clowns

40. Jacob Moore says:

Aren’t these the guys whose ingenious investment strategy is the same as an elevator movement program?

p.s. shave, wear a tie, and get a real job.