Communiqués, News

Dennis Gartman Just Wants To Point Out That He Sooooo Called This Earthquake

When discussing the horrible tragedy this afternoon, please, remember to give Gartman credit. Here’s what he wrote in a note today:

Not wishing to suggest that we had told everyone to be concerned about such events, we were laughed at two weeks ago when we wrote of the impending close approach of the moon to the earth this week and next. We have done a bit of reading since, and this shall be one of the closest approaches of the moon to the earth in ages and we feared, along with others, that this close approach and the concomitant larger-than-normal gravitational effect of the moon upon the earth would result in increased earthquakes. If the moon’s effect can be larger and smaller upon tides as the moon approaches and recedes from the earth, it seemed quite reasonable to us… and is proven by geological academic studies… that the effect upon stressed areas of the earth’s surface would also be affected. We warned then of increased quake activity during the next several weeks. We shall warn again of that likelihood.

Dennis Gartman: Nobody’s Laughing At Me Anymore For My Warning About The “Super Moon” [BI]

83 comments

83 Responses to “Dennis Gartman Just Wants To Point Out That He Sooooo Called This Earthquake”

1. Dr. Rosenrose says:

Bullshit, Gartman co-opted this from that wannabe citi-intern, “the one who beaten math majors in the most difficult competition in the world like idiots, and the one who astutely points out the mars existing in the Gaussian Copula and made proper corrections on it!! “

• trojan says:

Gartman: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Levin: Why, so can I, or so can any man. But will they come when you do call for them?

2. MoonRock says:

Someone needs to inform this guy that the moon is technically moving away from the Earth 2 in/year…so it was closer all previous years.

3. N Wacker Stud says:

This just in……there was an enormous earthquake in Japan…..

Matt Taibbi; Turbo Journalist

4. Derp says:

Meh.

– Nouriel

5. Doode says:

If it is indeed a historically valid observation then I would look for insurance companies doing something extraordinary in anticipation of such an event. They tend to collect and care about all those facts that other deem odd or improbable (full moon raises crime rate, etc).

6. Guest says:

Gartman’s ego > Moon

7. moon says:

UBS Sucks!!!

8. Anonymous says:

Moon too close to the Earth my ass. That shit was all me!

– Godzilla

9. Blablabla says:

HAG CN – the Gartman ETF – is down 3% since March 09. The earthquake may be the only he called right then!

10. Anonymous says:

That’s a bunch of malarkey. Who ever heard of such a thing? Everybody knows it was the solar flares.

A. Cashin

11. Anonymous says:

Here at Godzilla LLC, we strive for the best destruction for your buck!

12. Guest says:

“Called” an earthquake for tiny little country situated on the “Ring of Fire?”

What a guy. Now do my basketball picks.

13. Spanishmoon says:

Hence the origin of the term “Lunatic”.

Someone get the net for Dennis……….

14. Mlee says:

I wonder what Gartman’s NCAA bracket looks like.

15. Don’t worry everyone, San Francisco is safe from Tsunamis today. I closed my yen positions and am safe and sound eating a double down with a glass of scotch at my desk.

16. Don’t worry everyone, San Francisco is safe from Tsunamis today. I closed my yen positions and am safe and sound eating a double down with a glass of scotch at my desk.

17. JBEV says:

sadly japan has no hazmat androids up to the task of fixing their run-away nuclear reactor but they’re retrofitting an 11 year old girl fuckbot as we speak

• Snarfer says:

“11 year old girl fuckbot” made me snarf Diet Coke out my nose. Kudos for the great line, but that shit burns like hell.

• Anonymous says:

The not-necessarily-so-fine folks in Cleveland TX take exception to your characterization and would propose you switch it to a 16 y/o ‘bot.

18. NakedShort says:

Gartman? More like Fartman!!!!!

-guy who clearly needs to start drinking

19. Guest says:

Kudos to Mr. Gartman.

–Guy who’s been married for 10 yrs and still can’t predict when his wife’s period will happen

20. Guest says:

Dude looks exactly like Randy Quaid in Independence Day.

21. Bob says:

what a bunch of immature idiots on this board. really so sad.

22. Dwight Howards Shoulders says:

Bess, I firmly believe that you, and only you, can fix the world. Get busy wit dat, Bessar!

23. Cfc says:

God: Gartman, shut the fuck up and make money for your clients

24. Cfc says:

God: Gartman, shut the fuck up and make money for your clients

25. Guest says:

Is Gartman the Charlie Sheen of financial word? Nope, CS is a great actor and Gartman is a terrible trader

26. Dark Side says:

You tell a geophysicist that the moon can cause earthquakes and he/she laughs at you. You tell an astrophysicist that the moon can cause earthquakes and they all agree with you. You tell a headhunter that the moon can cause earthquakes that can cause financial market volatility and they blackball you and pick someone with 12,566 connections on LinkedIn.

27. JL Curtis says:

I’ve been enjoying Activia all day and earlier today I told everyone, “You know if you drink enough of this product you’ll………….oh my……….uh………ooomph………unhh…..oooh….eek!!

28. Dumbfounded says:

In case it needed to be said, this statement by Gartman is about the most boorish, crassest, fucktarded thing imaginable in these circumstances. Given this clear demonstration of his profound lack of judgment, I can’t believe anyone would let this halfwit manage a lemonade stand, let alone their investments.

29. Screen Door in Hurricane says:

Hey!!! I call hurricanes to come you know…….Will Gartman get in that business, too?

-Dr. Gray
    Dirty Side, CO

30. Screen Door in Hurricane says:

-Dr. Gray
    Dirty Side, CO

31. No more crazy says:

Is this really any more ludicrous than a someone “knowing” his the giants would win by more than 3 points or a fund manager bragging about being right about his stock predictions?

32. guest says:

I think Gartman is a little over the top on this one. Quit trying to draw attention to yourself!

Sincerely,

C. Sheen

33. Imagineth says:

The moon?  Try Elenin.  In 1984, I read an article that stated that around this time, we would encounter A FUCKING PLANET headed right toward us!  Then the story quickly changed and they reported that there was an error and we never heard of “Planet X” again. The Chile earthquake happened on the day of the Elenin-Sun-Earth alignment.  The Japan earthquake happened on the day of another alignment between the Elenin-Earth-Sun.  It’s no secret.  It’s right on NASA’s web site.  There is speculation that Elenin is actually a dwarf star.  this isn’t hard to believe since about 80% of the stars in our galaxy have a binary twin.  When Haley’s came around, it was plastered all over the news for months and months.  Elenin was discovered years ago and is supposed to cross Earth’s orbit TWICE this fall before leaving…but before it leaves, guess what’s going to happen…we’re going to pass right through it’s trail of debris.  But let’s assume there is no threat.  Why was the news about  Haley’s comet unavoidable for a full year, while there is a complete media blackout about Elenin.  Why?  Why?  I think we know why.

Our Sites