Earlier this morning we briefly mentioned an anecdote from a new book by Nina Godiwalla called “Suits: A Woman On Wall Street,” about a Morgan Stanley official who, during an argument at a team dinner, leaned over “as if to whisper something in his junior colleague’s ear and then took a bite out of it, Mike Tyson style.” Some doubted the truth to the story but luckily, a few readers who were there at the time assured us that in fact true. Also, apparently some of you may know this guy, as the ear biting incident didn’t hurt his career, which, following MS, included being the CEO of Thomas Weisel and Vice Chairman of Deutsche Bank Securities, a position he currently holds.

On Sept. 7, Elena Drill, a former Russian model and Morgan Stanley administrative assistant, was found dead with a boyfriend in her Manhattan apartment, in a bizarre murder-suicide. A week later, The Wall Street Journal reported that Drill had had an affair with Robert Kitts, [not the guy who killed her] a $7 million-a-year Morgan Stanley managing director who during a dinner last winter bit the ear of an analyst during a fight. The Journal said that upon learning in July that he had not ended his affair with Drill, the firm forced him to resign. (Word out of Morgan Stanley was that senior bankers were appalled not by any of the story’s sordid details, but by the fact that this guy Mr. Kitts was making $7 million.)

Let this be a lesson to you all: biting off someone’s ear, not necessarily an impediment to success!

Morgan Stanley’s Season In Hell [NYO]
Robert Kitts [LinkedIn]

1. Posted by Anonymous | March 3, 2011 at 6:12 PM

Clearly the guy misunderstood the whole “shot in the eye” thing.

2. Posted by Anonymous | March 3, 2011 at 6:12 PM

Clearly the guy misunderstood the whole “shot in the eye” thing.

3. Posted by Jason STATHAM. | March 3, 2011 at 6:13 PM

So….yeah……uh…..nice move?

4. Posted by Jason STATHAM. | March 3, 2011 at 6:13 PM

So….yeah……uh…..nice move?

5. Posted by Jason STATHAM. | March 3, 2011 at 6:13 PM

So….yeah……uh…..nice move?

6. Posted by guest | March 3, 2011 at 6:14 PM

Two different boyfriends. Kitts went on to head Thomas Weisel.

7. Posted by Anonymous | March 3, 2011 at 6:25 PM

this happened in 1999, you would have thought:

1.) there would be a picture of this said russian ex-model surface by now
    2.) more juicy & bizzare story coming out from the excess of the lavish money market.. ?

8. Posted by Guest | March 3, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Eye and Ear. I wish he had stuck around for the nose and throat

9. Posted by Savage Platypus | March 3, 2011 at 6:35 PM

Vicious animal liar, you are, Beth!

10. Posted by Anonymous | March 3, 2011 at 6:45 PM

Was that wrong? Should I not have done that? I tell you, I gotta plead ignorance on this thing, because if anyone had said anything to me at all when I first started here that that sort of thing is frowned upon… you know, cause I’ve worked in a lot of offices, and I tell you, people do that all the time.

11. Posted by Guest | March 3, 2011 at 6:53 PM
  12. Posted by Guest | March 3, 2011 at 6:59 PM

it moved.

13. Posted by PasteSpecialFormats | March 3, 2011 at 7:26 PM

Here’s what I know of it:

Kitts hired Drill as an Admin, began an affair with her, and then pushed for her to be promoted to the regualr Analyst program despite her utter lack of experience and/or qualification. Kitts leaned on Carolyn Bessette (HR person I think) to have her promoted, and Bessette resisted. Kitts subsequently left after never ending his affair with Drill, who did end up dying in a strange murder/suicide. Bessette also died under unusual circumstances not long after, in a plane crash off Martha’s Vineyard that included her husband, John. F. Kennedy, Jr.

Thank you, “Accidental Investment Bank” by Jonathan Knee

14. Posted by Guest | March 3, 2011 at 7:47 PM

Nice.

15. Posted by Guest | March 3, 2011 at 8:36 PM

“Accidental Investment BankER” – not sure how something accidentally becomes an investment bank, although that would explain a lot about Citi.

16. Posted by drakes | March 3, 2011 at 8:42 PM

is that spongebob square pants in your profile?

17. Posted by Wanker Banker | March 3, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Are you British, or just retarded?

18. Posted by Ddd | March 5, 2011 at 12:30 AM

… scary and cynical WS always forget there are no irreplaceble people.

19. Posted by Msalum | March 8, 2011 at 2:59 AM

I met this Russian admin-to-analyst girl at the MS orientation day for analysts. She sat right next to me and told me about her background as an admin. I figured she was dishing some out on the side to get into the analyst program but I didn’t mind because she actually seemed intelligent, nice, and quite attractive. Was shocked to learn how she ended up.

20. Posted by momentus | August 29, 2011 at 7:58 PM

"Looks like I picked the wrong week to stopping huffing glue"