• 13 Apr 2011 at 8:32 AM

Opening Bell: 04.13.11

JPMorgan Profit Up 67% on Lower Credit Costs, Tops Estimate (Bloomberg)
First-quarter net income climbed to $5.56 billion, or $1.28 a share, from $3.33 billion, or 74 cents, in the same period a year earlier and from $4.83 billion, or $1.12, in the fourth quarter, the New York-based company said today in a statement. The results beat the average per-share estimate for adjusted earnings of $1.15 by 26 analysts surveyed by Bloomberg.

Impatience Over Recovery At Morgan Stanley (Dealbook)
“You can only take so much pain,” said David P. Foley, an investment manager at Estabrook Capital Management, which as of Dec. 31 owned roughly 661,000 shares in Morgan Stanley, valued at almost $18 million. “We have to go to our clients and defend the stock, and invariably someone says, ‘Why do you still own this thing?’ Eventually, I am sure Morgan Stanley will turn around, but the firm has become harder and harder to defend because it still hasn’t turned the corner.”

Bernanke Urges Republicans To ‘Deal With Debt’ (Bloomberg)
“He said we have to deal with the debt,” Representative Steve Pearce, a Republican from New Mexico, said in an interview after leaving the session with the central bank chief on Capitol Hill. “So far the market seems to be forgiving of the fact that we haven’t,” Pearce said, adding that Bernanke told lawmakers that “we need to deal with it.”

Obama to Lay Out Deficit Plan, Focus on Tax, Spending (Reuters)
Obama will explain his vision for tackling the long-term U.S. deficit and debt in a speech in Washington at 1:35 p.m. He will try to regain control of the spending debate by drawing a sharp contrast with a Republican proposal unveiled last week to lower the deficit by $4.4 trillion over the next 10 years.

IMF Warns US on Debts, Wants Austerity (FT)
The US lacks a “credible strategy” to stabilize its mounting public debt posing a small but significant risk of a new global economic crisis, says the International Monetary Fund.

The Battle Of The Office Candy Jar (WSJ)
“The proximity and visibility of a food can consistently increase an adult’s consumption,” says the study, led by Brian Wansink, a professor of marketing and human behavior at Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y., and author of “Mindless Eating.” He adds, “Even for a person with the greatest resolve, every time they look at a candy dish they say, ‘Do I want that Hershey’s Kiss, or don’t I?’ At the 24th time, maybe I’m kind of hungry, and I just got this terrible email, and my boss is complaining—and gradually my resolve is worn down.”

Tyco Gets Takeover Offer Of $30 Billion (WSJ)
France’s Schneider Electric SA has made a preliminary bid for approximately $30 billion for Tyco International Ltd., according to people familiar with the matter, hoping to draw the Swiss-based conglomerate to the negotiating table. “The board is studying the proposal,” said one person familiar with the matter. The tentative bid “was a surprise,” this person added. As a result, Tyco officials believe “it’s going to take awhile to sort it out,” this person said. It seems highly unlikely that Tyco will accept a $30 billion offer, and directors “would undoubtedly want it to go higher,” this person said.

China Banks Said to Need $131 Billion of Equity Over Six Years (Bloomberg)
“Capital erosion is a long-term issue facing Chinese banks because they don’t really have the motivation to reduce reliance on loan expansion,” said Wen Chunling, a Beijing-based analyst at Fitch. “The focus of China’s rules is to ensure that banks arm themselves with abundant capital to be well-prepared for a crisis, so that the cost of any government bailout would be minimized.”

GOP Spooked On Debt Limit? (PMM)
House Speaker John Boehner has been reaching out to top Wall Street players asking how close Congress can get to the May 16th deadline (or July 8th drop-dead date) for raising the debt limit without seriously unnerving financial markets. The questioning is not going over well. “They don’t seem to understand that you can’t put everything back in the box. Once that fear of default is in the markets, it doesn’t just go away. We’ll be paying the price for years in higher rates,” said one executive.

1. Posted by Maria Buttaroma | April 13, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Does JPM have corporate jets? Does JD use them? I have a story I’d like to cover with him.

2. Posted by Proxyguy | April 13, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Thank goodness Bess has broached a subject that has long been on my mind…the office candy jar…there are those who fill it, and those who empty it, with little overlap. What kills me more is when I buy lunch for my team, and there are three or ten guys from other teams who always have to come mooch, but then whine like simpering ninnies when someone from my team so much as asks for a package of sugar. Before I arm my team with swords and clubs to smite the lunch filchers, I thought I’d put it out to the crowd to see if anyone had any suggestions, or perhaps a cruel nickname for the thieves.

3. Posted by Guest | April 13, 2011 at 1:17 PM

TL;DR

4. Posted by Bzzzzz | April 13, 2011 at 1:18 PM

You can be distracted by other things in the office as well.

-Gundlach

5. Posted by Guest | April 13, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Whenever they crowd around the food, play sea gull sound effects over the hoot. If that doesn’t shame them, nothing will. Another option is to put out chocolate laxatives for the moochers.

6. Posted by Guest | April 13, 2011 at 1:32 PM
  7. Posted by Guest | April 13, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Separate a small part of the food for the vultures and direct said vultures over to that pile. If it helps, print this thread and hand it out.

8. Posted by DW | April 13, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Bess – hope you’re a Met fan.

9. Posted by Guest | April 13, 2011 at 1:53 PM

That’s how it was with my secretary’s ass…

First look. Wow, look at that ass. Should tap it now. But my intensive HR training told me better.
    Second look. Juicy. But my jedi training kept junior cool and collected.
    Third look. Have discovered what my true calling in life is. But Lynn Tilton on TV left me in a fetal position.

Tenth look. Maybe just the tip.

Eleventh. OK. All-in. But since it is the ass it doesn’t count (she was catholic).

A couple of weeks later. Three secretaries, two sumeer interns and the cleaning lady in the conference room.

10. Posted by Lowly TSS Guy | April 13, 2011 at 1:55 PM

These earnings do nothing for me personally…

11. Posted by The Knife | April 13, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Jimmy to the G gets dissed again. His handlers must be having a fit this morning!

UBS > MS > worm shit????

12. Posted by AIG Quant | April 13, 2011 at 2:00 PM

We’re pretty sure she’s been to the opera, slick.

13. Posted by Markets Always Go Up | April 13, 2011 at 2:09 PM

“…UBS > MS > worm shit????…”

Those of us in the business refer to “worm shit” as “castings”.

-Financial Genius Writing Own Ticket on New Worm Farm Stationery

14. Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2011 at 2:10 PM

Fuck the candy bowls, I’m filling water bottles son.

M. K. Lallana

15. Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2011 at 3:05 PM

I like candy.

Giles, Miles and Niles Strange.

16. Posted by Guest | April 13, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Maybe they should start a “Dear DB” column. the Too-Hot-To-Bank chick could write in.

17. Posted by trojan | April 13, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Poppin bottles in the ice, like a blizzard

18. Posted by trojan | April 13, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Poppin bottles in the ice, like a blizzard

19. Posted by trojan | April 13, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Poppin bottles in the ice, like a blizzard

20. Posted by trojan | April 13, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Poppin bottles in the ice, like a blizzard

21. Posted by trojan | April 13, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Poppin bottles in the ice, like a blizzard

22. Posted by Guest | April 13, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Just share the food, you cheap prick!

23. Posted by Bristol Airport Hotels | April 19, 2012 at 7:44 PM

W4eyWi I really liked your blog post.

24. Posted by mkirat zaav | April 25, 2012 at 7:08 AM

Thank you ever so for you blog article. Awesome.

25. Posted by cheap seo services | September 20, 2012 at 9:25 AM

6YYvVc This is one awesome post.Really looking forward to read more. Really Cool.