- 14 Apr 2011 at 11:47 AM
Senate Subcommittee Report Shows Ratings Agencies Willing To Be Defiled By Paying Customers, Able To Look In The Mirror By Pretending To Have Standards To Each OtherBy Bess Levin
Late last evening, Senator Carl Levin released a report of his investigation into the financial crisis entitled “Wall Street And The Financial Crisis: Anatomy Of A Financial Collapse.” The majority of the blame goes toward investment banks, particularly Goldman Sachs (described by Levin- no relation- as “a financial snake pit rife with greed, conflicts of interest, and wrongdoing”), as well as Deutsche Bank, whose former trader, Greg Lippmann (he of “I’m short your house” and sushi spreadsheet fame) gets a lot of airtime. Also criticized are the ratings agencies, who Levin says “weakened their standards as each compete to provide the most favorable rating to win business and greater market share.” To that end, the Senator from Michigan illustrates his point with a story about Standard & Poor’s and UBS.
Oh yeah, the analysts were pissed something fierce and they had a right mind to tell James to go fuck himself. Nobody pushes Standard & Poor’s around! Unless you’re paying in which case, do whatever you want to us and we’ll go along with it.
But just know that we will be having a conversation internally about how your attitude needs adjusting or else something will be done. Seriously. Take this threat seriously. We’re serious. Going to stop talking now so I can put this ball gag in my mouth like you asked but remember what we said.
- Senate Subcommittee Report Shows Ratings Agencies Willing To Be Defiled By Paying Customers, Able To Look In The Mirror By Pretending To Have Standards To Each Other April 14, 2011
- Don't Get Caught On "His" Side: A Survival Guide For Pimco Employees March 7, 2014
- Bonus Watch '14: Bank of America Just Couldn't Let Brian Moynihan Have This One March 7, 2014
- Bonus Watch '14: JP Morgan Whistleblowers March 7, 2014
- New Crop Of MBA Candidates Thinking They're Pretty Hot Shit March 6, 2014
- Area Barber Quits Creativity-Stifling Goldman Gig, Enjoys New And Previously Unthinkable Freedom To Cut March 6, 2014
- University Of Chicago Economics Department Suddenly Too Good For Fabrice Tourre March 4, 2014
- Stanford Graduate School of Business Goes Back In Time, Rejects Mathew Martoma March 5, 2014
- Guy Who's Short Herbalife Says Guy Who's Long Herbalife Saying Guy Who's Short Herbalife Saying Herbalife Is A Fraud Is A Fraud Is A Fraud March 13, 2013
- For Every 10 Times He Calls Employees Stupid Losers, Softbank CEO Offers One Warm Embrace March 7, 2014
- Executive Editor
- Bess Levin
How Can We Help You?
- Send tips to:
- For tech issues email:
- For advertising or events email:
- For research or custom solutions email:
- Dealbreaker is published by Breaking Media.
For a full list of our sites, services and staff visit breakingmedia.com