Remember Irzen Octa? He’s the Citigroup customer who was allegedly killed by three debt collectors after they got angry when he contested his bill. Octa’s widow is now suing the bank for $348 million and while the trio admit they may have laid a few hands on him, claim they weren’t responsible for his death.

After dropping his younger daughter at school, Octa walked into Citibank’s credit card collection department on the fifth floor of the Jamsostek tower just after 10 a.m. Four hours later, he left the 25-story building slumped motionless in a wheelchair — a victim of what police allege was a violent assault by debt collectors. Driven to a nearby hospital in a Citibank car, Octa was pronounced dead on arrival.There are starkly conflicting versions of what happened inside the room, barely larger than a broom closet, where Octa spent most of the time from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on March 29…Three collectors met with Octa in the Citibank office. Their attorney says they acknowledge that one of them “tapped” Octa on the shoulder, kicked his chair and thumped a table, but they claim the businessman died of natural causes. They say that brain damage identified in an autopsy was caused by a stroke and that Octa was still alive when he was taken to the hospital.

Citigroup Collides With Death Pursuing Emerging Market Debts in Indonesia [Bloomberg]

44 comments (hidden for your protection)

1. Posted by Guest | June 30, 2011 at 2:27 PM

congrats Bess on the Post!

2. Posted by Karl Mozurkewich | June 30, 2011 at 2:28 PM

dis gun b good

3. Posted by Dr. Rosenrose | June 30, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Citi never sleeps.  They only murder.

4. Posted by Mingus Ah Um | June 30, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Killing customers is the new killing it.

5. Posted by Yes | June 30, 2011 at 2:35 PM

whats his window got to do wit this?

6. Posted by CoveredLong | June 30, 2011 at 2:40 PM

They may be a bunch of silly geese, and full of quacks, but I’m not sure why you think they’re a collection of crows.

-Moody’s Credit Analyst

7. Posted by French judge | June 30, 2011 at 2:46 PM

defenestration into a wheelchair from the fifth floor platform, degree of difficulty 2.6. French judge score: 6

8. Posted by Karl Mozurkewich | June 30, 2011 at 2:48 PM

This works on 4 levels.

-Sex Panther Sales Rep.

9. Posted by Guest | June 30, 2011 at 2:49 PM

When I first read this, I thought this was in the United States but then I realized it was somewhere less developed and cultured, so I said to myself “Who cares?  It can’t/won’t ever happen here in the US of A as we are a nation of laws where everyone is treated equally and presumed innocent.”

-Sarah Palin

10. Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2011 at 2:52 PM

I think it’s actually the original killing it

11. Posted by AmericanBandersnatch | June 30, 2011 at 2:55 PM

They should get credit for driving him to the hospital in a Citibank car.  Most banks would just put you in a taxi.   That’s service!

12. Posted by WallStreetFatCat | June 30, 2011 at 2:55 PM

the roi to this guys family for his death is ridiculos… First they didnt have to pay the roughly $12000 in debt owed to citi and now the family is sueing for $346 million.

Score
    Family: 346,012,000
    Citi: 0

13. Posted by Solver of Significant Problems | June 30, 2011 at 3:01 PM

How simple difficult would it be for the Chairman of all the major banks to send out an email to all employees simply stating, “For goodness sake, don’t be a dumbass.”

14. Posted by Dk | June 30, 2011 at 3:08 PM

CitiFinancial used to sell bad loans to the Yakuza in Japan for collection, which is why they were banned from operating there.  Pretty consistent with Citi’s MO in Asia.

15. Posted by guest | June 30, 2011 at 3:08 PM

Attaboys citi bankers, NOBODY, NOBODY should fuck around with your business.

16. Posted by Detective Stabler | June 30, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Can you show me on the doll exactly where they touched you?

17. Posted by Guest2 | June 30, 2011 at 3:17 PM

what you did not know is that the citi employees had spent the last few years building up an immunity to iocane powder.

18. Posted by Citibank Shareholder | June 30, 2011 at 3:18 PM

Actually, the suit is for $348 million, Other than that, I have no concerns.

19. Posted by 6 fingered man | June 30, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Inconceivable!

-Guy who knows better than to trust a Sicilian

20. Posted by WallStreetFatCat | June 30, 2011 at 3:37 PM

A few other sites had it at 346 I’m guessing it has to do with the conversion rate since the case is actually for 3 trillion rupiah. poor attention to detail on my part.

21. Posted by Citibank Shareholder | June 30, 2011 at 3:45 PM

I would have blamed fat thumbs.

22. Posted by Irzen "Morrie" Octa | June 30, 2011 at 3:50 PM

Pandit’s being an unconsionable ball-breaker. I never agreed to 3 points on top of the vig! Am I something special? Some sort of schmuck on wheels?

23. Posted by Chinpira | June 30, 2011 at 3:53 PM

I thought that Yakuza thing was a great idea.  Then I could combine my bill payment with a discount on hookers and blow.

24. Posted by Charlie Sheen | June 30, 2011 at 4:05 PM

Ive tapped a couple thousand broads and never killed one of em

25. Posted by early hominid | June 30, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Banned?   I thought they were suspended more than once for being “insufficiently attentive” (or some such formulation) to money laundering by some of their sketchier account holders, but I didn’t think they were banned.  I could be wrong though.

26. Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Yet.

I mean really, how long before Sheen ends up with a dead hooker in a hotel room? I feel any day now it’s coming.

27. Posted by Guest | June 30, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Well done!

28. Posted by Meme Meme Meme | June 30, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Citigroup needs to merge with death in order to survive.

29. Posted by Guest_CFA | June 30, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Man, they can’t catch a break.  They’re cursed like the LA Clippers or the Buffalo Bills.  The world would be a better place without Citi.  We should have let them go when we had a chance a la Lehman…

30. Posted by GUEST312 | June 30, 2011 at 5:31 PM

I thought Reach out and touch someone was an old AT&T slogan…

31. Posted by Guest | June 30, 2011 at 6:12 PM

Sadly after Ted “i didnt know she drowned” Kennedy and Emmanuel “I want to bring my jewish buddies from russia and eastern europe” Cellar past the Immigration Act of 1965 that’s no longer true.

32. Posted by Guest | June 30, 2011 at 6:14 PM

Ain’t no love in the heart of the Citi.

33. Posted by Karl Mozurkewich | June 30, 2011 at 6:26 PM

aware.

-guy who’s father you killed – now prepare to die

34. Posted by Guest | June 30, 2011 at 6:28 PM

They sound like long lost member of the lost tribe!

The Tribe, Playing the legal system until it dissolves

35. Posted by Wahoo | June 30, 2011 at 7:12 PM

Fuck you

-Jim Kelly

36. Posted by R Spector | June 30, 2011 at 8:14 PM

Hey!!

37. Posted by Guest | June 30, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Just called them up and bitched them out!!!

38. Posted by Lewis Winthorpe III | June 30, 2011 at 9:40 PM

I think this is still second place to the one where the IT dude got killed outside a club and someone made the comment “Killing IT is the new killing it.”

39. Posted by Amanda | July 2, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Hmmm  Why would this not be a criminal case??  I would prosecute first.

40. Posted by Muji Harjo | August 20, 2011 at 11:12 PM

I am Muji Harjo from Bandung city – country Indonesia, I am also a victim of debt collectors Bank UOB Buana Indonesia

The difference if irzen Octa died, I was seriously injured, fractured eye bone &
    forehead bone fracture so it must be bone grafting surgery at the hospital at a cost of about 70 million rp

News about me on http://www.google.com type in: Muji Harjo or Nasabah Muji Harjo or UOB Buana Muji or debt collector UOB Buana.

41. Posted by oem software | May 2, 2012 at 6:13 PM

3DTnZY Fantastic article.Really thank you! Will read on…

42. Posted by cheap seo services | September 10, 2012 at 8:56 AM

PUbBAl I value the blog article.Much thanks again. Cool.

43. Posted by one buck resume | September 22, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Say, you got a nice post.Much thanks again. Will read on…

44. Posted by bookmarking service | September 24, 2012 at 9:33 PM

OtnQ1G Im obliged for the blog.Much thanks again.