In 1974, Bridgewater hedge fund manager Ray Dalio was working in the commodities futures department of Shearson Hayden Stone when he went out with his boss on New Year’s Eve, and after getting into a debate with the guy, punched him in the stomach. Soon after that night, Dalio was fired when management learned that “at the annual convention of the California Food & Grain Growers’ Association, he paid an exotic dancer to drop her cloak in front of the crowd.” Looking back, it’s clear that in both situations, Dalio was merely acting on his lifelong belief that one should relentlessly “pursue the truth at all costs,” the guiding tenet Principle found within Bridewater Associate’s employee handbook, written by Ray.

Unfortunately, in 1974, Principles was but a single-celled idea in Dalio’s mind, and the higher-ups at SHS didn’t understand that Ray didn’t pay off the dancer so he could see her tits but so conference goers could drill down to the truth underneath her robe, while punching the boss was RD’s way of trying to get the guy to open his eyes.

After he was canned, it became clear to Dalio that even if he got another job, it was highly unlikely that people would see things his way and made the wise decision to found Bridgewater out of his two bedroom apartment. Thirty-six years later, the Westport-based hedge fund manages assets of up to $100 billion and employs a staff of over 1,000. Critical to the firm’s success has been Principles, which we published last year,** copies of which are distributed to all staff, who are instructed to “probe colleagues” regularly, no matter one’s rank, and break down people’s “ego barriers,” like a wildebeest might find himself taken down by a hyena on a truth-seeking mission.

Many people who viewed Principles were quick to write Bridgewater off as “a cult,” also used by some current and former employees (who were not swayed by testimonials by staff who confessed to love the culture at B-water, which changed their lives). Pay them no matter. Intrigued by the philosophy but unsure how it’s put into practice? Here’s a basic example of how to use Principles to get employees to see the error of their thought processes, as observed by New Yorker writer John Cassidy.

From the back of the room, a young man dressed in a black sweatshirt started saying that a Chinese slowdown could have a big effect on global supply and demand. Dalio cut him off: “Are you going to answer me knowledgeably or are you going to give me a guess?” The young man, whom I will call Jack, said he would hazard an educated guess. “Don’t do that,” Dalio said. He went on, “You have a tendency to do this…We’ve talked about this before.” After an awkward silence, Jack tried to defend himself, saying that he thought he had been asked to give his views. Dalio didn’t let up. Eventually, the young employee said that he would go away and do some careful calculations.

Or how to make a decision regarding a possible promotion.

Jensen, McCormick, and Dalio discussed the possible promotion of an internal candidate to a senior-management role. McCormick, a soft-spoken forty-five-year-old who studied engineering at West Point, argued that the candidate’s prior experience at a big Wall Street firm indicated that he could probably do the job. Dalio disagreed. An investment bank is a “totally different world,” he said. But, rather than continue the discussion, he asked one of his assistants to call in the candidate. One rule of radical transparency is that Bridgewater employees refrain from saying behind a person’s back anything that they wouldn’t say to his face. The man arrived and stood before Dalio’s desk. Dalio explained what the discussion was about and said, “I don’t imagine that you would be a good fit for the job.” The man took a seat, and Dalio and McCormick continued their discussion about his qualifications. The candidate explained his experience on Wall Street and said he thought he could do the job well. Dalio leaned back in his chair, looking skeptical. The employee didn’t get the promotion.

Or exorcise the “emotional” out of someone, like recent hire “Peter,” who came to Bridgewater from a “big financial firm” and required a complete overhaul.

All nine members of Bridgewater’s management committee were sitting at a long wooden conference table. Peter, a lean man with fair hair, sat stiffly near the front: he looked like somebody anticipating a root canal. Jensen and McCormick were nominally in charge, but Dalio took over, telling Peter that, during a previous management meeting, he had answered emotionally in response to questioning from Jensen. “This is a common thing when somebody’s getting probed,” Dalio said. “Because the amygdala gets stimulated and you have that emotional reaction.” Peter agreed that he had become upset, especially when he sensed he was being accused of misleading his colleagues. “I felt in some sense my integrity was being attacked,” he said. “That’s when things spiralled out of control.”

Dalio walked to the front of the room, where he wrote on a whiteboard, “felt,” “integrity,” and “misled.” “?‘Felt’ is the key word here . . . and it’s a challenge for people,” he said. After a bit more discussion, he went on, “What we’re trying to have is a place where there are no ego barriers, no emotional reactions to mistakes. . . . If we could eliminate all those reactions, we’d learn so much faster.” Another member of the committee, Eileen Murray, intervened to say she assumed that Peter had not encountered this type of conversation at his previous job. He confirmed that he hadn’t. Murray nodded sympathetically. “When I first came here, I was like, ‘What the hell is going on?’ ” she said. Dalio wasn’t finished. He suggested that the problem was that Peter had an idea of how things should be handled, and when the reality turned out to be different he hadn’t been honest with his colleagues. “The issue is that you are not freely releasing those beliefs,” he said to Peter. “Unlike a lot of companies, where you are meant to sit there and be quiet . . . here we respect your notion that you have a point of view. . . . Your responsibility is to say, ‘Does it make sense to me?’ And if it doesn’t make sense don’t keep it bottled up.” Dalio went on, “I’m saying, just let it flow, man.”

Peter said he thought it was understandable that somebody new to the firm would react under stress as he had. Still, he added, “If I had to replay this thing again, I’d be much more open with my thoughts.” “What would you say the duty of a leader is?” Dalio asked him. Peter replied, “The duty of a leader, first and foremost, is to be transparent.”

And speaking of leaders, a title change for the CEO means Dalio is about to take Bridgewater to the next level. While the past 36 years would be considered a success by any measure, the next 36 will make them look like child’s play, as Dalio will be devoting less of his time to investing/bull shit paperwork and more to driving the radical truth bus.

“I’m stepping back a little: I’m going to a minister/mentor role,” Dalio said, comparing himself to Lee Kuan Yew, the longtime Prime Minister of Singapore, who relinquished his post in 1990 but even today retains great influence. This month, Dalio is formally giving up his co-C.E.O. title in favor of “Mentor.

Buckle up.

Mastering The Machine [New Yorker]

Related: Bridgewater Employees Speak Out: What Bridgewater Has Done For Me
Earlier: Bridgewater Associates: Be The Hyena. Attack The Wildebeest.

**Or as the New Yorker puts it, “picked up a copy of”.

1. Posted by Guest | July 18, 2011 at 5:02 PM

MD at UBS > Bridgewater disciple n

2. Posted by Radically Transparent | July 18, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Bwater does not suck nn- wildebeest who knows a thing or two

3. Posted by CoveredLong | July 18, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Re:u00a0 Types of probing:u00a0 turbocharged > supercharged > nitrous > vtec > octane booster > dice in the mirror > CFA

4. Posted by Anonymous | July 18, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Patriarch was the first fund to use “just let it flow man” to perpetuate success.nnL Tilton

5. Posted by Ray Dalio | July 18, 2011 at 5:07 PM

More pills please!

6. Posted by Anonymous | July 18, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Newu00a0Associate: Mr Dalio, I think a fire has started in the utility closet.nRay: You “think”.nNA: It’s a highly educated guess based on several highly correlated data points.nRay: Such as?nNA:u00a0 The fire alarm has sounded.nRay:u00a0 Is it not possible that it is simply a test?nNA: Also, I smell smoke coming from that area.u00a0nRay:u00a0It’s probably that idiot Peter burning his popcorn again. *waves* Hey Peter!nNA: So that’s it?nRay: *sighs*u00a0 I knew I shouldn’t have hired someone from Goldman Sachs.u00a0 The truth is easy to discover.nNA:u00a0 How?nRay: *glares*nNA: You want me to open the utility closet door!!??nRay:u00a0 *nods* It’s the only way to truly know, man.

7. Posted by Guest | July 18, 2011 at 5:17 PM

what?

8. Posted by Anonymous | July 18, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Bess, can you also pick me up a copy of their asset listing?

9. Posted by Guest | July 18, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Funny how we’re not hating for Bess’s length yet let the storm come down on Matt.nn-Previous commenter who was annoyed at Matt’s length yet does not seem to have a problem with Bess’u00a0

10. Posted by Judge Ed | July 18, 2011 at 5:32 PM

who?

11. Posted by Anonymous | July 18, 2011 at 5:33 PM

I wasn’t on the comments last week but I’ll just say I think Matt’s doin’ great.

12. Posted by Casey_anthony | July 18, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Ray, when the ECB finally agrees to start restructuring, and you need to find hidden assets, call me, I know where the bodies are buried.

13. Posted by Guest | July 18, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Funny how you’re an idiot.nn(People don’t hate on length for length sake. If a story is interesting, like the above, no one cares how long it is. And not sure what you mean re “the storm,” as the majority of people have commented that they like Matt’s stuff.)

14. Posted by Guest | July 18, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Fortunately for RD,u00a0this country only institutionalizes the poor and crazy.u00a0 The rich and crazy get a pass.

15. Posted by 25th Hour Trader | July 18, 2011 at 5:50 PM

“From the back of the room, a young man dressed in a black sweatshirt started saying that a Chinese slowdown could have a big effect on global supply and demand.”nExcellent analysis. u00a0I wrote a research piece for clients last week that noted the strong linear relationship between rainfall and the number of umbrellas seen in public.nn-Trader who agrees w/ Dalio for pressing the analyst for a little more substance. u00a0BTW a hypothesis w/o a trade (short AUD/USD and/or base metals) is useless.u00a0

16. Posted by Sealord_Hubbard | July 18, 2011 at 5:50 PM

I really like the cut of this guy’s jib.

17. Posted by Old Hyena | July 18, 2011 at 6:10 PM

RD: u00a0So you have a view on China. u00a0Can you migrate with it across the stream and avoid the crocodiles?u00a0nnMacke: u00a0I’m going to talk to you like a child. u00a0Nod if you’re with me.nnRD: *Nodding* u00a0 My young transparenteers are child-like in their views. u00a0Diapered with cloth for economic benefit but pampered none the less.nnMacke: u00a0After 34 minutes of this chat while you’re talking, if you think you’ve gone crazy, nod.nnRD: u00a0Is crazy a reality of your opinion? Can you be factual without feeling challenged? u00a0Can your thoughts traverse the flowing river oif risk on the the backs of the wildebeest while it swims from watery threats?u00a0nnMacke: u00a0You are starting to feel the bandaid come off.nnRD: u00a0Catbox!!nnMacke: u00a0Dismissed auto people nod and drown in the waters where the reptiles mate. u00a0I don’t know.u00a0

18. Posted by Confused Commenter | July 18, 2011 at 6:11 PM

I always thought Bess preferred girth to length.u00a0

19. Posted by Anonymous | July 18, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Personality cult: check.nnWierd manifesto: check.nnHorde of followers that believe in both: check.nnShort term success: check.nnPlace soundsu00a0a lot like the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea. u00a0

20. Posted by Former_DNC_Bundler | July 18, 2011 at 7:04 PM

or every Obama fund-raiser ever.

21. Posted by GuestNOW | July 18, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Naysayers attacking what is clearly the supreme approach: checknn-Kim Jong-il

22. Posted by Kim J. il | July 18, 2011 at 8:00 PM

I’m so wonewy. Poor wittle me.

23. Posted by Anonymous | July 18, 2011 at 8:49 PM

*zip* u00a0Furiously…..

24. Posted by Banker_chick | July 18, 2011 at 11:34 PM

what girl doesn’t?

25. Posted by Guest | July 19, 2011 at 12:04 AM

Bess could put up a 9,000 word post (and has occasionally) and we’d read the entire thing without “hating” because she’s an incredibly talented storyteller with an amazing sense of humor. Tends to fend off the “too long, didn’t read” comments. Any other questions?

26. Posted by MatterOfFracked | July 25, 2011 at 3:59 AM

Is this post “about” “something”, at least in comparison to its farming of its source? Let’s start the truthiness there. Also, “Pay them no matter” is not, at the level of deep, carefully investigated truth, a “sentence in English”, although it makes a fantastic Freudian slip.

27. Posted by Kandy Bibo | September 9, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Yes of course

28. Posted by Aurelio Delossanto | September 14, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Remarkable internet site, i read through it however I continue to have a few questions. shoot me an e-mail and we will discuss a lot more becasue I might offer an interesting option to suit your needs.

29. Posted by Danielle Rone | September 17, 2012 at 12:50 PM

I appreciate you sharing this article post. Fantastic.

30. Posted by events in new york city | September 17, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Howdy! This post could not be written any better! Reading this post reminds me of my old room mate! He always kept talking about this. I will forward this write-up to him. Pretty sure he will have a good read. Many thanks for sharing!

31. Posted by reference | September 17, 2012 at 4:26 PM

I enjoy what you guys are up too. This kind of clever work and reporting! Keep up the excellent works guys I’ve you guys to my personal blogroll.

32. Posted by view | September 17, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Very good blog! Do you have any tips for aspiring writers? I’m planning to start my own blog soon but I’m a little lost on everything. Would you advise starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option? There are so many options out there that I’m totally overwhelmed .. Any tips? Thanks!

33. Posted by this website | September 17, 2012 at 8:03 PM

The core of your writing whilst appearing reasonable originally, did not work very well with me after some time. Somewhere throughout the paragraphs you managed to make me a believer unfortunately just for a short while. I nevertheless have got a problem with your jumps in assumptions and you might do nicely to help fill in those gaps. If you actually can accomplish that, I could definitely end up being impressed.

34. Posted by read what he said | September 17, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Greetings! I know this is kinda off topic but I’d figured I’d ask. Would you be interested in exchanging links or maybe guest authoring a blog article or vice-versa? My blog goes over a lot of the same subjects as yours and I think we could greatly benefit from each other. If you are interested feel free to send me an e-mail. I look forward to hearing from you! Great blog by the way!

35. Posted by glasgow house clearance | September 18, 2012 at 7:50 AM

Woah! I’m really loving the template/theme of this blog. It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s challenging to get that “perfect balance” between user friendliness and appearance. I must say you have done a amazing job with this. Additionally, the blog loads super quick for me on Safari. Superb Blog!

36. Posted by termites control | September 18, 2012 at 8:44 AM

Nice post here, thought I could learn more from but I can learn more from here.

37. Posted by home page | September 18, 2012 at 6:04 PM

We stumbled over here from a different web address and thought I should check things out. I like what I see so now i’m following you. Look forward to exploring your web page yet again.

38. Posted by unlock iphone 4 at&t | September 18, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Have you ever considered publishing an e-book or guest authoring on other websites? I have a blog based on the same ideas you discuss and would really like to have you share some stories/information. I know my audience would enjoy your work. If you are even remotely interested, feel free to send me an email.

39. Posted by property clearance company glasgow | September 18, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Please let me know if you’re looking for a article author for your site. You have some really great posts and I think I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d absolutely love to write some articles for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please send me an email if interested. Thank you!

40. Posted by here | September 18, 2012 at 8:51 PM

I really like your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you make this website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you? Plz reply as I’m looking to design my own blog and would like to find out where u got this from. thank you

41. Posted by visit my website | September 21, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Welcome to absolutely everyone. My Corporation Is from the Greece plus i take a great new site. Please See my business site and say your view. You May Find a lof of ideas and information for my job. It Truly Is free of charge 100% and without any registrator. Thanks To all people who can go to see my brand-new web pages. It Willaids my work. | μαγαζί |

42. Posted by cheap bookmarking service | September 24, 2012 at 5:54 AM

bLrVvn Major thankies for the blog article.Really thank you! Great.

43. Posted by Bernetta Aspen | September 27, 2012 at 2:06 PM

I believe there may be a few duplicates, but an exceedingly handy listing! I have tweeted this. Numerous thanks for sharing!

44. Posted by Daryl Neblock | September 28, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Very interesting details you have mentioned , thanks for posting . “Great is the art of beginning, but greater is the art of ending.” by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.

45. Posted by Robert Monsour | September 29, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Slip for your cause that to improve your ease and comfort. It possesses a loaded three-inch higher heel that is perfect for most events. Conserve these kind of for almost any night out out and about once you never look like sporting tall pumps along with a outfit. You’ll be in a position to nonetheless appear advanced whenever you put on primarily simply because utilizing denims. Place on the buckskin coat to perform the style.

46. Posted by television and internet Gilbert | October 3, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Woo Hoo! I won’t be able to hold out!

47. Posted by fast internet Phoenix | October 4, 2012 at 6:50 AM

This can be a very great put up, describing an exceedingly crucial piece from the puzzle. n n

48. Posted by Claude Deliberto | October 4, 2012 at 8:35 PM

And, which was just after an OJ (and grain liquor) breakfast’ from a plastic rubbish can on the Frat Dwelling.. yet again, so I have noticed..

49. Posted by Cox Tucson | October 7, 2012 at 6:24 AM

That e book by Eileen Gambrill appears truly very good (by the way, the hyperlink is broken). I examine a couple of webpages to the Amazon web site. Way too poor the e-book is available only in hardcover in a price of $52.51.

50. Posted by fast internet Tempe | October 7, 2012 at 8:46 PM

This appears like this should really be a fantastic event. Regarding the location of the event also to avoid confusion, for a extended time resident of the area, there is absolutely no “Santiago Creek Park”. Santiago Creek runs as a result of Hart Park (some relation to “Pappy”?) that is from the Metropolis of Orange, around the border of Santa Ana. Could we get this location confirmed?

51. Posted by fast internet Tempe | October 8, 2012 at 5:03 AM

Wonderful shot I miss PanAm and heading down to the airport only to watch the planes. Can you envision a group of teens making an attempt to hangout at Seatac now? They’d all be detained in about 12 seconds…

52. Posted by distilling brandy | October 8, 2012 at 7:33 AM

Thank you so much for giving everyone a very pleasant opportunity to check tips from this web site. It can be very ideal and also full of fun for me personally and my office co-workers to search your blog on the least 3 times in one week to read the new guides you have got. And indeed, we’re certainly motivated concerning the splendid opinions you give. Some 4 tips in this post are ultimately the simplest we’ve ever had.

53. Posted by cable internet Tucson | October 8, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Seriously insightful blog site report.A great deal thanks again. Will read through on…

54. Posted by internet and phone Surprise | October 9, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Yeah, that is exactly it. Even a 500ms delay will likely be a lot to stop someone from successfully bruteforcing it (you will only get 7200 attempts / hour).

55. Posted by personal loans | October 10, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Please take the time to review these guidelines. These unpaid amounts are considered company assets as it is difficult to pay the whole sum back at one time. Purchases for many years now.

56. Posted by click here | October 10, 2012 at 4:00 AM

Welcome to each and every. My Organization Is coming from Greece and i develop a very new website page. Have A Look At my blog and tell me your thought. You Possibly Can Find many inspiring ideas and knowledge just about my job. It Truly Is a totally free 100% and not having registrator. Thx To anybody who is going to go to see my great business site. This Will Help To my work. | μετακομισεις |

57. Posted by richard walker gebo | October 10, 2012 at 5:11 AM

For the most element, you are bound by the environmental spot that you imagined to expand in. If you have the space, you can expand blossoms in a eco-friendly property, or a hothouse but richard walker gebo can also develop flowers on your lavatory window sill. Actually, refreshing blossoms can be developed calendar year spherical just about everywhere but outside in your personal yard space is very best and most satisfying. What you do need to have is a very good patch of grime that has not been employed as a building waste zone where soil situations are really very poor. Start off by using a sample of your earth to the grounds center or academic outreach centre for evaluation and add amendments as necessary. From a different visual factor, just go to the property centre and inventory up on organic and natural fertiliser and increase the blossoms from this medium.

58. Posted by landline Tempe | October 10, 2012 at 6:08 AM

Everything boils down to this: Islam will be the articulation of and justification for extremely, quite ugly societies, which are the syntheses of brutal, sterile environments as well as folks who inhabit them. When these ugly, ugly peoples are confronted with a mirror, which include the Danish cartoons, Theo Van Gogh’s film or the movie in question if they are confronted along with the reality about themselves these are filled with these kinds of self-loathing they fly into a homicidal rage. n nIt truly matters minimal irrespective of whether the online video directly incited the most current wave of Muslim mob violence or is just a pretext. The actual fact is that the pretty existence of Western civilization its values, its achievements, it’s attractive peoples and their humane societies is usually a continual and, thanks to ubiquitous communications, inescapable reproach into the bungled and botched of your planet, united by Islam under the banner of lethal resentment.

59. Posted by cable and internet Scottsdale | October 10, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Dang. I desire I lived in that element with the planet. I would like to give absolutely free range parenting a shout out. It really is so vital for kids in addition to their development to engage in absolutely free participate in.

60. Posted by odbior inwestycji | October 10, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Today, while samochody opole When i was at the job, my uncle stole our iphone along with tested to find out if it might survive a 30 foot lower, just so she can be quite a youtube discomfort. My iPad is currently destroyed and she’s got 83 vistas. I know this can be entirely off topic but I had created to reveal it using someone!

61. Posted by cox internet Mesa | October 10, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Hiya there, just became aware of your web site through Google, and found that it’s truly instructive. I am going to watch out for brussels. I am going to be grateful when you resume this in future.

62. Posted by richard walker gebo | October 12, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Once the plant is ingrained, after a few of months or so, richard walker gebo will want feeding and treatment. When a flowering plant does flower it employs up very a bit of electricity and will need to have this electricity has to be renewed. For the most component, the major nutrient essential is Nitrogen. Potash and Potassium are also required so check out the back of the seed pack or a plant info tag for necessary quantities. Reduce routinely to market growth but be specified to not in excess of reduce for a full period of flowers.

63. Posted by PegiPegi.com : Booking Hotel Murah & Mudah di Indonesia Saja | October 13, 2012 at 1:27 AM

I’ll immediately clutch your rss feed as I can’t in finding your e-mail subscription link or e-newsletter service. Do you’ve any? Please permit me realize so that I may subscribe. Thanks.

64. Posted by Jessika Schnack | October 13, 2012 at 6:44 AM

Very nice info and straight to the point. I don’t know if this is in fact the best place to ask but do you people have any thoughts on where to hire some professional writers? Thank you :)

65. Posted by Youtube to MOV Converter | October 13, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Hey There. I found your weblog the use of msn. That is a very smartly written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your helpful info. Thank you for the post. I’ll certainly return.

66. Posted by Plissees preiswert | October 13, 2012 at 11:09 PM

I like squid fish sauce.

67. Posted by Marion Croasmun | October 14, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Thanks for your posting on this website. From my own personal experience, occasionally softening way up a photograph could possibly provide the digital photographer with a bit of an artsy flare. Sometimes however, this soft cloud isn’t just what you had in your mind and can quite often spoil a normally good picture, especially if you anticipate enlarging that.

68. Posted by Dennise Grasha | October 14, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Funnily enough, I think it might be ok if it wasn’t for the big image-ad. That definitely currently undermines the feel of the whole page. I think you need to either drop that (which I’m sure you can’t do) or have some other pictures elsewhere.

69. Posted by Jacquline Lisonbee | October 14, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Allegations that Mel Kiper is on the take. Now whoda thunk THAT ?!?!