• 12 Jul 2011 at 3:01 PM

FOMC Minutes Out

FOMC members were split on balancing the potential need for more monetary stimulus against inflation fears, with most members viewing current inflation levels as temporary and driven by energy prices. The minutes sum up the debate on additional easing:

On the one hand, a few members noted that, depending on how economic conditions evolve, the Committee might have to consider providing additional monetary policy stimulus, especially if economic growth remained too slow to meaningfully reduce the unemployment rate in the medium run. On the other hand, a few members viewed the increase in inflation risks as suggesting that economic conditions might well evolve in a way that would warrant the Committee taking steps to begin removing policy accommodation sooner than currently anticipated.

The minutes do not discuss the Fed members’ views, if any, on Paul Krugman’s calls for additional fiscal stimulus and/or magic.

Fed Officials Divided on Further Stimulus [Bloomberg]

Minutes of the Federal Open Market Committee

1. Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 at 7:07 PM

I’m looking for ink cartridges on the cheap if anyone knows a place.

- B Bernanke

2. Posted by Guest | July 12, 2011 at 7:21 PM

Quality Tag

3. Posted by Guest | July 12, 2011 at 7:23 PM

De

4. Posted by Guest | July 12, 2011 at 7:25 PM

Dear Matt: there’s a rule of thumb that it only takes 7 seconds to make a first impression. If we make that 7 articles, then my first impression of you is you’re quite good at this…I like you, I really like you. xoxo

5. Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 at 7:26 PM

Seems like a lot of hand jobs going on at the FOMC

6. Posted by ExtraOrdinaryPopularDelusions | July 12, 2011 at 7:28 PM

Matt,

The quickest way to get your balls handed to you here is to be the “I post serious economic stuff” version of Bess. This is a tabloid, not the FT.

The threshold is: if you’re posting a 20,000 word essay that you wrote on the evolution of Brazilian debt, then fine, that’ll be tolerated, but, otherwise, just stick to sexual innuendo.

Best,
    Kouwe, Greggums, and EP

7. Posted by Guest | July 12, 2011 at 7:33 PM

You should probably limit this type of stuff to about one sentence and save it for the Opening Bell and Write-offs.  That way we can easily ignore it.

8. Posted by Texashedge | July 12, 2011 at 7:34 PM

Agree completely, but he did kind of win me over with the Azrael tag.

(Also think EP was a lot better than the other two)

9. Posted by Rupert Murdock | July 12, 2011 at 7:44 PM

Oh yeah..tell me about tabloids….

10. Posted by Sam Row | July 12, 2011 at 7:45 PM

Hey!!!

11. Posted by Homosaurus | July 12, 2011 at 7:46 PM

Antisemite….

12. Posted by Guest | July 12, 2011 at 7:47 PM

Enough to sleep with him?

13. Posted by Gost | July 12, 2011 at 7:48 PM

If the Fed would just hire experts with one arm they wouldn’t have any of that “on the other hand” mumbo-jumbo.

14. Posted by Kouwanus | July 12, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Keep up the good work, Greggums!

15. Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Balance:With; Juxtapose:Against

other than that, I have no issues.

-Conan the Grammarian

16. Posted by ExtraOrdinaryPopularDelusions | July 12, 2011 at 7:59 PM

I don’t know… I always thought EP was a condescending ayn-rand-cultish self-important snobbish bitch who didn’t know shit.

Or perhaps I’m just a judgemental asshole. Who knows.

17. Posted by Guy Who Is Also A Sax Player | July 12, 2011 at 8:13 PM

Yeah, you’re an idiot.

18. Posted by ExtraOrdinaryPopularDelusions | July 12, 2011 at 8:15 PM

BTW, I know we have an open relationship and all, but, every time I see your new picture I want the punch the shit out of it. Can you find something with a little more “cute” and a lot less “psychotic nagging meth-addled ex-wife”? It’s like nails on a chalkboard here.

19. Posted by ExtraOrdinaryPopularDelusions | July 12, 2011 at 8:26 PM

Oh, I know. The velcro on my shoes isn’t for fucking grins, jackass.

20. Posted by Guest | July 12, 2011 at 8:29 PM

Yip, yip. Honesty Dept also made it clear that this is the wrong pic. Will find something better tonight. xoxo

21. Posted by Guest | July 12, 2011 at 8:30 PM

No, that would be wrong.

22. Posted by Guest | July 12, 2011 at 8:36 PM

Everybody throw away your Bloomberg terminals. Matt Levine is now reporting financial news.

23. Posted by LiLo | July 12, 2011 at 8:38 PM

I miss you, SamRo.

24. Posted by ExtraOrdinaryPopularDelusions | July 12, 2011 at 8:40 PM

Thanks. I feel like Andy Dick trapped in a post-op transvestites body just mentioning it, but… it’s fucking creepy. Like I need to run out to my car and make sure it hasn’t been spray-painted with “CHEATER. LIAR. SMALL DICK!” creepy.

25. Posted by Guy Who Is Also A Sax Player | July 12, 2011 at 9:02 PM

Let me guess – EP was a “condescending ayn-rand-cultish self-important snobbish bitch who didn’t know shit” due to her Obama Fund posts? Or was it extrapolating on matters of flight? Or perhaps it was her leading a discussion with regards to international affairs.

Get over yourself, dolt.

26. Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 at 9:10 PM

Why?

27. Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2011 at 9:12 PM

The Azrael tag and the reference to Krugman’s “magic” offset the serious/boring/already-saw-it-on-my-Bloomberg vibe.