News

A lack of sailing opportunities.

Yesterday afternoon a few dozen hedge-funders abandoned their desks to sail 12-Metre America’s Cup yachts on the Long Island Sound. The majestic boats made their way out of Indian Harbor Yacht Club in Greenwich, Connecticut, past the waterfront homes of Edward Lampert and Paul Tudor Jones and a replica of the Brooklyn Bridge (which doubles as a dock) at an estate that recently sold for $39.5 million. The weather cooperated beautifully, with bright sun and blue skies. A storm threatened but of course went somewhere else. A light rain finally came when the post-sail cocktail party was winding down.

The Connecticut Hedge Fund Association organized the event, which benefited the Young Mariners Foundation, a sailing program for underprivileged children in Stamford, Connecticut…Young Mariners teaches children water safety and how to swim, then enrolls them in a 5-week summer sailing program that they can stay in for three to five years. The organization serves 140 children annually, with a budget of $350,000. During a temporary break from crab cakes and crudites, Bruce McGuire, the founder and president of the Connecticut Hedge Fund Association, presented a $2,000 check to Paul Norton, the chairman of Young Mariners.

That’s right- $2,000. Let’s hope the children can appreciate the outpouring of generosity.

Hedge Funders Sail From Greenwich [Bloomberg]

37 comments

37 Responses to “Hedge Fund Managers Get Out And Support Number One Issue Affecting Underprivileged Children”

1. Backdoor Bess says:

It’s easy to grin / When your ship comes in / And you’ve got the stock market beat. / But the man worthwhile, / Is the man who can smile, / When his shorts are too tight in the seat.

2. in love with pmco avatar says:

just what under privileged kids need, sailing lessons.u00a0 once they learn to sail, they will have no where to do it, as they will not be admitted into the clubs of the hedge fund managers.u00a0

• PMCOsucks_sucksbigtime_sucks says:

because you sail inside clubs, not on water?

• the truth says:

better give them some swim lessons too

• Wire says:

Did you miss this part: “Young Mariners teaches children water safety and how to swim”?

• Bitchtern says:

Most people who sail always welcome young and eager crew. It’s tough to find people who can commit to a whole Saturday on the water and since most children/teenagers don’t have a lot they have to do they make perfect crew. Also, while they might not be able to admitted to the yacht clubs as members they would be welcomed as guests if they were sailing or working on the boats. If a yacht club didn’t extend that courtesy they wouldn’t have a lot of sailors as members. This would also be considered terribly tasteless. But, you already knew this.n-Bitchtern

• Bitchtern says:

3. Anonymous says:

A Hedge Fund Associationu00a0writing a cheque for $2,000 to charity is the NKI.nnConfused Commenter likely has something to say about Bess being ornery.nnHey! Why didn’t we get a chance to contribute to a cause we could afford?n-UBS MDnn-Obvious Joke Guy Wearing / Doing Somethingu00a0That Makes Him Stand Outu00a0at Minetta’s

4. Oooh Yeah! says:

“Keep sailing, BOB!”

5. PasteSpecialFormats says:

Wind is to us what money is to life on shore.nn-Sterling Hayden

6. Anonymous says:

My dad is an MD at UBS, I qualify for entry into the YMF, correct?nn- Kid who wonders what it would be like to have a “real” dad, so wants to spend the day on the water daydreaming.

7. Kim Jong ILL says:

Bess, why so ornery?u00a0 Are you ronery?

8. Lloyd says:

Why sail on water when you can walk on it?

9. Lbz360 says:

I thought #1 issue was fetal alcohol syndrome, now I know better thanks for the enlightenment!

10. Nickmagos says:

wow I can’t believe that everyone emptied their pockets for the cause. Embarrassing that the event raised $2k. Is that all that could be coughed up?

11. Tuckhead says:

I didn’t know there are underprivileged kids in Stamford.

12. Footerstar16 says:

$2000 for the kids and no doubt about $5000 for the crabcakes. No doubt there’s some lobbyist there arguing for tax exemptions for the boats to go along with the one for the private planes.u00a0

• Email says:

Too Late.nnnnSMART YACHT OWNERSHIPnnnThe Congress 2010 u2018Tax Relief Actu2019 allows the entire cost ofna new yacht to be depreciated THIS YEAR. Taxes paid in 2009 /2010 can benrecovered, alternatively, the deduction can be applied to 2011 or carriednforwards. This Section 179 rule includes the 100% Bonus Depreciation Program.nn- U.S. taxpayer who has large tax obligations and is looking tonbuy a new yacht this year.nnn

13. Footerstar16 says:

14. Yes I’m doing it with Lion

15. Thanks for the recommendations on credit repair on all of this site. Some tips i would tell people is always to give up the actual mentality that they’ll buy today and pay later. Being a society many of us tend to make this happen for many things. This includes holidays, furniture, in addition to items we really want to have. However, you should separate your wants from the needs. While you’re working to raise your credit score make some sacrifices. For example it is possible to shop online to save money or you can turn to second hand outlets instead of high-priced department stores intended for clothing.

16. It¡¦s really a nice and helpful piece of info. I am satisfied that you just shared this helpful info with us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.

17. I think this is among the most significant info for me. And i am glad reading your article. But should remark on some general things, The website style is wonderful, the articles is really nice : D. Good job, cheers

18. term says:

Merely a fast hello there as well as we appreciate you talking over your ideas in this particular web site. I came across on their own with your blog site as soon as exploring physical fitness and health connected troubles upon Google speculate We missing together with what I was executing! In any case I’m destined to be back again the second once more in the conclusion to substantiate your own blogposts as time goes on. Cheers! http://www.phlebotomycertificationhq.com/

19. Whoa it’s excellent few web site which can be in depth down below. Great write-up, I will be standard customer associated with one’s website, maintain inside the wonderful function, in fact it is gonna be an everyday customer for some time. As well as interesting; you’re a very competent writer. I’ve joined your own Rss and appear forward to within mission more of the wonderful publish. http://www.phlebotomycertificationhq.com

20. You’ve made a variety of excellent details generally there. I did a search around the issue and found primarily people will agreement with your weblog. Might you guide me personally make sure you, in which might I buy some? http://www.slidingdoorsideas.com/sliding-glass-doors-2

21. excellent points altogether, you simply won a new reader. What would you suggest about your post that you just made a few days ago? Any sure?

22. Hi, have you ever before asked yourself to write about Nintendo or PSP?

23. You really make it appear so easy with your presentation however I find this matter to be actually one thing which I feel I might never understand. It kind of feels too complex and very wide for me. I’m looking ahead in your subsequent submit, I will try to get the hang of it!

24. It’s wonderful to discover your blog post once in a that is one isn’t the same old re-spun materials. Great study! I’ve saved your internet site today. http://www.silkroadgoldbuy.com/mens-beaded-bracelets.html

25. I’m still learning from you, while I’m trying to reach my goals. I definitely liked reading everything that is written on your blog.Keep the information coming. I loved it!

26. Heya! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any problems with hackers? My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing a few months of hard work due to no backup. Do you have any solutions to prevent hackers?

27. My coder is trying to persuade me to move to .net from PHP. I have always disliked the idea because of the costs. But he’s tryiong none the less. I’ve been using Movable-type on various websites for about a year and am anxious about switching to another platform. I have heard great things about blogengine.net. Is there a way I can import all my wordpress content into it? Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated!

28. Today, I went to the beach with my children. I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 time old daughter and said “You can heed the ocean if you put this to your ear.” She put the shell to her ear and screamed. At hand was a hermit crab inner recesses and it pinched her ear. She never wishes to get back! LoL I make out this is wholly rotten matter nevertheless I had to know someone!

29. I think some other web-site entrepreneurs should get this website being a design, really clean and magnificent user genial styling, and also the content. You’re an expert within this subject matter! I just added author Emma Lang to be able to my catalogue and seeking forward to the Kensington testimonies as well as all of your various other textbooks. I’ll enjoy if you keep on this from now on. A number of them will probably be taken advantage of your creating. Many thanks! http://czwlwz.chaozhou.gov.cn/JForum/user/profile/2323.page

30. My wife and i felt really joyous Emmanuel could finish up his reports while using the precious recommendations he grabbed through your blog. It’s not at all simplistic just to choose to be giving away helpful tips that a number of people have been making money from. We take into account we have got the website owner to thank because of that. The most important explanations you have made, the straightforward site menu, the relationships you will assist to promote – it is everything extraordinary, and it’s really assisting our son and our family know that the situation is enjoyable, and that is unbelievably mandatory. Thank you for the whole thing!