What did Larry Summers really think of the Winklevoss twins? “Rarely, have I encountered such swagger, and I tried to respond in kind,” the former president of Harvard said in an interview at Fortune’s Brainstorm Tech conference. Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss were at Harvard at the same time that Mark Zuckerberg launched Facebook, and they had come to Summers for help in their fight for a piece of the action. Summers dismissed them, a scene dramatized in the movie the “Social Network.” Summers didn’t try to dispel the portrayal. “One of the things you learn as a college president is that if an undergraduate is wearing a tie and jacket on Thursday afternoon at three o’clock, there are two possibilities. One is that they’re looking for a job and have an interview; the other is that they are an a**hole. This was the latter case.” [Fortune]

1. Posted by Golf Clap | July 20, 2011 at 3:28 PM

I’d like to “+1″ Larry Summers for his comment.

2. Posted by ExtraOrdinaryPopularDelusions | July 20, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Awesome.

3. Posted by Guest | July 20, 2011 at 3:32 PM

For once this guy got something right!u00a0

4. Posted by Guess | July 20, 2011 at 3:32 PM

Larry forgot “facing suspension” as a reason for an undergrad to get dressed up.u00a0

5. Posted by Upset donor | July 20, 2011 at 3:36 PM

So Larry, nothing about betting theu00a0operating budgetu00a0on Denham, Charles Bank, Fortress, et al?

6. Posted by Guest | July 20, 2011 at 3:37 PM

… and woman are bad at math.

7. Posted by McKinsey senior douchebag | July 20, 2011 at 3:37 PM

I don’t get it – I wore ties and jackets all the time around campus. Helped me to create value and solve problems.

8. Posted by Guest | July 20, 2011 at 3:37 PM

* women

9. Posted by Put_Option | July 20, 2011 at 3:40 PM

The blazer I wore that day came from the Brooks Brothers flagship store on Madison. Those are the only true Brooks Brothers’ navies. Other navies might as well be from the outlets. My tie was Paul Stuart or J. Press, I can’t remember. All topped off nicely with a pair of Alden bucks. We would never wear something as nouveau riche as Hermes, Ferragamo, or that other Euro-trash. We wanted to show Mr. Summers the respect that an institution like Harvard commands, and treat others with respect as well. And Mr. Summers acted like a member of the proletariat. nnNo one talks down to Winklevoss. Just try. I’ll sue you and your family. Do you know who my father is? Do you know who I am? Better than you and that’s all you need to know. nn- Tyler Winklevoss

10. Posted by Guest | July 20, 2011 at 3:50 PM

Brooks Brothersn”when you just feel like giving up”

11. Posted by Brian1284 | July 20, 2011 at 3:54 PM

What if they are dressed all in Vineyard Vines does that make them a clown or d bag?

12. Posted by Jackie Treehorn | July 20, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Larry Summers has mistaken me for this dickhead Marcus Halberstram. It seems logical nbecause Marcus also works at P&P and in fact does the same exact nthing I do and he also has a penchant for Valentino suits and Oliver nPeoples glasses. Marcus and I even go to the same barber, although I nhave a slightly better haircut.nn

13. Posted by MerchantRefugee | July 20, 2011 at 4:09 PM

14. Posted by Randall | July 20, 2011 at 4:15 PM

As someone who just discovered what an “out” is, I now feel my fashion knowledgeu00a0may beu00a0lacking as well. Are Bonobos also in poor taste?

15. Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2011 at 4:29 PM

You don’t wind up in front of the President for that; just the Dean of Students (or Student Life or whatever the bs pc title-of-the-day is)nn-guy who’s been there, done that…

16. Posted by Matt Furnas | July 20, 2011 at 4:43 PM

You don’t wind up in front of the President for a job interview either.. category was why undergrads wear a suit period… Suit up.nn- Barney Stinson

17. Posted by BroGuest | July 20, 2011 at 4:58 PM

why don’t you meet me at Dorrian’s and find out for yourself?

18. Posted by Winklevii Smith | July 20, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Larry: What would you say if man walked in here with a tie and a jacket on a Thursday afternoon, and I listened to him? What would you say?u00a0Tyler W: He must have had on some really nice Bonobos

19. Posted by Gozer | July 20, 2011 at 5:21 PM

ConnectU would have sucked anyhow, douchenozzles

20. Posted by Not Impressed | July 20, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Also +1 for Larry.nnBut I must say, as an undergraduate for 4 years, I have also learned a few things. u00a0If a university administrator has a pulse, then there is one possibility… he’s an asshole, just punching the time card until his pension kicks in.

21. Posted by Wahoo | July 20, 2011 at 5:29 PM

One of the things you learn as a college president at Harvardu00a0is that if an undergraduate is wearingu00a0a mini skirt,u00a0a large blue blazer, carrying her heels and make-up smearedu00a0about her faceu00a0on Thursday afternoon at three ou2019clock, there are two possibilities. One is that the BC fuck truck is missingu00a0a straggler; the other is that they’ve been to The Porcellian recently.

22. Posted by NewsFeed | July 20, 2011 at 6:01 PM

And people who wear hoodies all day every day are not assholes?

23. Posted by Guest | July 20, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Charlesbank has killed it though.u00a0

24. Posted by Brian1284 | July 20, 2011 at 6:27 PM

I will need to meet you outside since I probably won’t pass the dress code there.

25. Posted by Gues | July 20, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Larry has his motives…he’s clearly pissed with the whole doorknob episode.

26. Posted by Sean Parker | July 20, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Drop the Connect

27. Posted by EvilBuzzard | July 20, 2011 at 8:04 PM

u201cOne of the things you learn as a college president is that if an undergraduate is wearing a tie and jacket on Thursday afternoon at three ou2019clock, there are two possibilities. One is that theyu2019re looking for a job and have an interview; the other is that they are an a**hole.” nnHe should embrace the power of “And”.u00a0

28. Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2011 at 9:22 PM

No girls allowed inside the Porc, but thanks for playing.

29. Posted by Wahoo | July 20, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Then you must have killed it in college. Nicely done.

30. Posted by Wahoo | July 20, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Then you must have killed it in college. Nicely done.

31. Posted by SensitiveBro | July 21, 2011 at 4:16 PM

But they’re good at spelling.

32. Posted by Summers is a db | December 7, 2011 at 4:43 AM

Or maybe they're nervous about meeting the president of their university and want to make a good impression?

33. Posted by http://411howtoloseweightfast.com/ | October 6, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Have you ever considered about contributing on additional web-web sites?
    may well some great content right here and I’m positive you could share a fantastic deal more if you wrote some content throughout other websites.
    You’ll discover a great deal of associated internet websites to check out.
    Merely one thing to think about. I’m glad I identify about it at least.