• 25 Oct 2011 at 3:32 PM

Civil War Brewing At Occupy Wall Street

Time was, everyone occupying Zucotti Park in protest of the financial services industry got along (some extremely well). Now, times have changed and battle lines have been drawn. On one side you have those who are pro drum banging. On the other, you have those who want people to cool it with the drums, out of fear that the neighbors who previously supported the movement will go anti-OWS, over the racket.

A frustrated organizer writes:
Friends, mediation with the drummers has been called off. It has gone on for more than 2 weeks and it has reached a dead end. … We need to take this seriously, and be clear that if we can’t deal with conflict and self-organizing then we are facing eviction very soon (this week), and the allies that helped turn out mass numbers at the last one will not be around this time, nor will the press be supportive.

According to Slate, “the drummers have agreed to limit their banging to two daily sessions, between noon and 2 p.m. and between 4 and 6 p.m.” but it may do little to appease those who want the drums gone, now today and those who feel strongly that the bangings are “the heartbeat of this movement. Look around: This is dead, you need a pulse to keep something alive.”

Drum Circles Could Doom Wall Street Occupation, Organizers Fear [Slate]
Monday Night Urgent OWS Message [n+1]
The Organizers Versus The Organized [NYM]
Occupy Wall St Protester Tells NY Times About Losing His Virginity After Drinking Six Four Lokos And An Iced Mocha [Complex]

1. Posted by trojan_ | October 25, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Bangin on a trash can
    Drummin on a street lgiht

2. Posted by Logic | October 25, 2011 at 3:41 PM

Der.

3. Posted by Guest26 | October 25, 2011 at 3:48 PM

A pulse is also the only prerequisite most of those yahoos require when it comes to choosing their next conquest.

4. Posted by I'm a Dude | October 25, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Down on the corner, out in the street
    willy and the poor boys are playin'
    bring a nickel, tap your feet

5. Posted by Merchant Refugee | October 25, 2011 at 3:53 PM

"the bangings are “the heartbeat of this movement. Look around: This is dead, you need a pulse to keep something alive.”"

Who new UBS was behind OWS?

6. Posted by You know | October 25, 2011 at 3:55 PM

"Can't we all just get along?"

7. Posted by Mexi_Cant | October 25, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Nothing says my opinion is very important and everybody listens to it like banging on a drum.

8. Posted by Merritt Parkway | October 25, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Happily banging OWS broads. If they're wearing a drum set all the better.

- Rami

9. Posted by guest | October 25, 2011 at 3:56 PM

There are two types of people in this world: Those who like Rusted Root, and those who don't.

Bob Wiley

10. Posted by Quittin Time | October 25, 2011 at 3:58 PM

I Don't Want To Work
    I Just Want To Bang On The Drum All Day

11. Posted by Hakuna Matata Guy | October 25, 2011 at 4:00 PM

I'd be pretty pumped if I was given two bang sesh's a day. Instead, I'm told to clean the dishes and fold the laundry.

12. Posted by Merritt Parkway | October 25, 2011 at 4:02 PM

New meme: "UBS Is Dead"

- where's my Parrot

13. Posted by drummer | October 25, 2011 at 4:03 PM

CORPORATIONS ARE NOT PEOPLE!!!!!!

14. Posted by Mexi_Cant | October 25, 2011 at 4:07 PM

I don't want to know your name
    I just want, bang bang bang

15. Posted by Merritt Parkway | October 25, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Lay off the Tequila

16. Posted by guest | October 25, 2011 at 4:27 PM

that is incorrect

- mitt

17. Posted by CoveredLong | October 25, 2011 at 4:31 PM

You want me to do things to you like the sun and the moon.
    Idiot, I don't have time. I have too many deamon.
    All I have time for you know what?
    —————
    I just want bang bang bang.

18. Posted by Herb Schmertz | October 25, 2011 at 4:32 PM

That's enough.

19. Posted by Mucho Guest | October 25, 2011 at 4:37 PM

En espanol por favor…

20. Posted by PermaGuestII | October 25, 2011 at 4:39 PM

It would only be appropriate if they were playing the Rogue's March.

21. Posted by T. Rex | October 25, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

22. Posted by Drums aren't enough | October 25, 2011 at 4:44 PM

They clearly need:

More cowbell!

23. Posted by Todd Rungren | October 25, 2011 at 4:50 PM

I don't wanna work, I just wanna bang on the drum all day..

24. Posted by watch it | October 25, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Ok Hakuna Matata Guy, you're all right

25. Posted by minus 1 | October 25, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Well, at least this one isn't

-L.B.

26. Posted by whowhawhen | October 25, 2011 at 4:55 PM

that is incorrect

– United States Supreme Court

27. Posted by Put_Option | October 25, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Look Funnie face, I've been a fan of the Beets since the Killer Tofu tour.

- R. Klotz

Too far?

28. Posted by Not Impressed | October 25, 2011 at 5:00 PM

To the non-drummer oppressors: I'd shush it, before they drag your ass out of a drain-pipe, and broadcast video of your execution on Youtube. Allahu akbar!

29. Posted by FKApmco | October 25, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Robin Byrd: wanna get it on and bang a gong?
    T-Rex: Sure baby…let me bang your box

30. Posted by Rickey Martin | October 25, 2011 at 5:14 PM

She bang, she bang.

31. Posted by Login | October 25, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Uhh no

32. Posted by Nailz6 | October 25, 2011 at 5:20 PM

I don't listen to music unless Tpain is on the hook.

33. Posted by Guest | October 25, 2011 at 5:27 PM

you are a hard-core new york chick… been there all your life?

34. Posted by Merchant Refugee | October 25, 2011 at 5:27 PM
  35. Posted by Guest | October 25, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Mexi_Cant??? is that you?

36. Posted by Unix Admin | October 25, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Too many deamon? You can never have too many deamons. How many processes are you threading?

37. Posted by PermaGuestII | October 25, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Ahh… Channel J…

38. Posted by PermaGuestII | October 25, 2011 at 5:36 PM

And he's up there, what's that? Hawaiian noises?
    Bangin' on the bongoes like a chimpanzee
    That ain't workin' that's the way you do it
    Get your money for nothin' get your chicks for free

39. Posted by Out for a good time | October 25, 2011 at 5:42 PM

It's not a party until something gets broke.

-No clue why I am protesting

40. Posted by Rami S | October 25, 2011 at 5:47 PM

I'm still banging the drum everynight!

41. Posted by MeVC | October 25, 2011 at 6:25 PM

I want my, I want my hippie

p.s. referring to this http://www.yandy.com/Seventies-Hippie-Babe-Costum

42. Posted by UFO | October 25, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Bartender, give me WHATEVER he's ^ having

43. Posted by Norman Mailer Daemon | October 25, 2011 at 6:55 PM

Liked it.

44. Posted by Deep Purple | October 25, 2011 at 6:56 PM

I've got a fever! And the only cure is…..MORE COWBELL!

45. Posted by Finndeavor | October 26, 2011 at 12:21 AM

Knopfler is God!

46. Posted by FKApmco | October 26, 2011 at 6:06 AM

Since 1987 (when I was 10…give or take a few years)

47. Posted by FKApmco | October 26, 2011 at 6:07 AM

Yep. One of my all time favorites. Robin is on You Tube fyi…take a trip down memory lane sometime. She redefines drug-addled fag hag.

48. Posted by PermaGuestII | October 26, 2011 at 8:31 AM

Will need to watch it wasted at 3am to really get the full nostalgia effect: prob after drinking at Iggys (although the place is so clean now it's unrecognizable).

49. Posted by dRat | October 26, 2011 at 8:43 AM

Could be worse. Could be vuvuzelas.

50. Posted by snoopy | October 26, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Woof woof, not bang bang

51. Posted by GuestERNIE | October 26, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Blue Oyster Cult. Frown.

52. Posted by YourGoldKeith | October 26, 2011 at 12:23 PM

The real cause of all the torment is no diversity in the music.
    How about a jazz band? Should do something for the Pinot Grigio set…

53. Posted by anarchist bookstore | October 26, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Weird. But when I was there the only controversy was whether the Women's Caucus working group would accept only biological females or if female identifying others could join too. Anyone know how the BDSM anarchist munch went?

54. Posted by Espionage | October 28, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Give this man a medal.

55. Posted by buy advertisments | October 1, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Thanks for your strategies. One thing really noticed is the fact that banks along with financial institutions really know the spending habits of consumers and understand that a lot of people max away their credit cards around the getaways. They prudently take advantage of this fact and begin flooding your current inbox plus snail-mail box by using hundreds of Zero APR credit cards offers right after the holiday season closes. Knowing that in case you are like 98% of the American general public, you’ll hop at the opportunity to consolidate credit debt and shift balances for 0 APR credit cards.

56. Posted by Chivas Regal | August 13, 2013 at 9:28 AM

This is the essence of democracy. If you do not like something, you have the right to say so out loud. Especially when it concerns public interest.