Yesterday afternoon, after previously stating that the Wall Street protestors staying Zuccotti Park could remain there as long as they pleased, Mayor Bloomberg announced that the occupiers would 1) have to temporarily relocate while the area is cleaned and 2) leave their tents, tarps, and other accoutrement home when they come back. Some have told the cleaning crew they can go fuck themselves and that they’re not going anywhere, ever, while others are taking a page from the parent/child-threat-of-punishment-spurs-kids-to-furious-cleaing-of-room-and-promise-to-be-good book.

…the wider consensus seemed to be that if the protesters cleaned up their own sleeping bags and tarps and pieces of cardboard and made the park better than new, the city and the park’s owners, Brookfield Properties, might relent and let them stay. “Pick up a broom, pick up the trash, encourage people to wake at a decent hour,” one woman called to the crowd. “Show Mayor Bloomberg that he is dead wrong.”

In the event Bloomberg and Brookfield do not deem OWS’s in-house cleaning job up to their standards, the group has announced, “If NYPD attempts to enter, we’ll peacefully/non-violently stand our ground and those who are willing will get arrested.

Facing Eviction, Protesters Talk Pre-emptive Cleanup Strategy [CityRoom]
Occupy Wall Street to Clean Zuccotti Park Themselves, Drawing on $150,000 Fund [IBT]

29 Responses to “Wall Street Protestors Hoping The “I’ll Be Good, I’ll Be Good, I’ll Be Good” Move Works On Bloomberg, Zuccotti Park Owners”

1. Downtown says:

The OWS guys just paid a few grand to hire professional cleaners with power washers and a flatbed truck for trash removal. It sounds like they got their shit together. If that isn't good enough for Brookfield, then its pretty obvious they just want to get rid of these guys and are using 'cleaning' as a ploy.

These protestors are smart idle college grads regardless of the slant people are giving them. They are really well coordinated (if not in message, in terms of running things.)

• DB Cop says:

The post was a mere FYI … not to be commented on.

• Nailz6 says:

Graduating college makes you smart now? At least in Chicago, these protesters go to the colleges where you need only a pulse to get in.

• cynic says:

Of course they are smart. They know that capitalism doesn't work, America is a failed society, the rich pay no taxes, moving their accounts to credit unions will break the big banks…yep, they are fucking rocket scientists.

• Put_Option says:

Can't tell whether you're being really sarcastic or you're completely out of touch with reality. Yet, I'm leaning towards the latter.

• County College Grad says:

Smart idle college grads read: recently graduated from a small school with a useless major in (insert social science) and no hope of even a job interview

• Jewish Clown says:

insert 'looking for an excuse to do drugs instead of a job' in place of 'idle' and you are dead-on.

media coverage has been pretty liberal across the board

• Guest_of_Honor says:

They don't need to use a "ploy". It's Brookfield's property and as much as you… err.. I mean "they" hate property rights and capitalism last I checked it still hasn't been outlawed in the US (… yet…).

So if the "OWS guys" want to pay rent to Brookfield in order to live on their land for a while perhaps they can stay but I think that evil corporation has been gracious enough by not sending in the dogs and fire hoses to remove them from their property.

To summarize, You don't have the "right" to trespass on private property in order to protest. I can't break into your home and tell you about the benefits of capitalism, so you can't come to a corporation's land and tell them how corporations suck.

• pazzo83 says:

Hey Downtown, here, you dropped your tin-foil hat!

• Sean Connery says:

By "Well Co-ordinated" I assume you are talking about the fact that every single one of these self-entitled unrealistic dirtbags knows how to play the drums and bongos, I agree!!!

• Guest says:

"slant people" eh. that's just plain racist.

• Oscar the Grouch says:

Not paying $120,000 to live in a pile of garbage is the NKI

• Merchant Refugee says:

2. R. Marsh says:

Dey took er jerbs!

3. pazzo83 says:

I cannot WAIT for the South Park episode about these morons.

4. Ungrateful Bastards says:

Well at least Brookfield is getting the park cleaned for free!

5. BFP Management says:

The public fornication, however, may continue so long as the participants are pre-screened.

6. PermaGuestII says:

Or the Family Guy episode.

7. Guest says:

Brilliant reverse psychology by Bloomberg.

8. OWS'er says:

Oh, pleeeaase, Mr. Bloomberg, don't buzzkill Occupalooza. I've haven't had this much meaning in my life since that one summer in college when I followed Phish for three weeks. Please let us stay, at least until the Rainbow gathering in Vancouver kicks off.

9. Guesty says:

Smithers, release the hounds

– Monty Burns

10. deh says:

In a cruel twist of fate OWS protestors decided to take their 150K savings and "beat wallstreet at their own game" by investing – 100% in Sino to quote-unquote "save the forest"

11. OWS dude says:

Paying thousands out of pocket to clean up a park owned by a multi-billion dollar corporation is how we're choosing to stick it to the man.

12. Hello, i think that i noticed you visited my site thus i got here to return the prefer?.I’m trying to find issues to improve my website!I assume its ok to make use of some of your ideas!!