• 03 Nov 2011 at 3:25 PM

Jamie Dimon Foils Seattle Protesters

…despite a cold, relentless November rain Wednesday night, several hundred people marched to the Sheraton Hotel in downtown Seattle, where Dimon was a keynote speaker at an awards ceremony for the University of Washington’s Foster School of Business. Sixth Avenue in front of the hotel was closed to traffic for less than an hour as protesters tried to block hotel entrances by locking arms. Police used pepper spray to clear a side entrance near the corner of Pike Street and Seventh Avenue so hotel patrons could enter or leave. The protest began at 6 p.m. and lasted 3 ½ hours. They stood outside and chanted slogans, while people inside sipped cocktails and looked down from a reception area with curiosity. The number of protesters dwindled after about an hour because of rain, but more than 100 stayed on to stake out the hotel. They left at 9:30 p.m. after learning that Dimon had reportedly left about 9 p.m. [Seattle Times]

1. Posted by Grease | November 3, 2011 at 3:27 PM

JPM wins again.

2. Posted by Anon | November 3, 2011 at 3:35 PM

OWS: Never have so few, done so little, while smelling so bad

3. Posted by East Coast Snob | November 3, 2011 at 3:42 PM

Nice of Jamie to pretend he cares about the University of Washington's MBA school. Pretty sure not even Jefferies or AIG/UBS/LEH quants recruit from there.

4. Posted by derp | November 3, 2011 at 3:43 PM

It wasn't even me. I sent Pullman again.

-JD

5. Posted by Anonymous | November 3, 2011 at 3:46 PM

These OWS stories a lot more amusing if you imagine the protesters as libidinous fanboys who also happen to be zombies.

6. Posted by Anonymous | November 3, 2011 at 3:48 PM

For most of us it was the first time we showered this week.

-Rami & Stacey

7. Posted by Dr_Rosenrose | November 3, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Rita: You're missin' all the fun! These people are great! Some of them have been protestin' all night long! They sing songs 'till they get too cold and then they go sit by the fire and they get warm, and then they come back and sing some more!
    Phil: Yeah, they're hicks, Rita!

8. Posted by J to the D | November 3, 2011 at 4:02 PM

Actually, I ran out of WaMu stock certificates to wipe my ass with, and thought an honorary diploma from UW would work the next time I eat at Chipotle

9. Posted by Froggy Froggerson | November 3, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Uh, we smelled pretty bad too

- WW2 French army soldier on the German front

10. Posted by deguest | November 3, 2011 at 4:34 PM

contemplated suicide today…thanks for pulling me back from the edge

11. Posted by Guest | November 3, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Your people still do.

12. Posted by Guest | November 3, 2011 at 4:45 PM

"He went out the back door, why didnt we think about that!?!!"

- OWS Protester

13. Posted by Shamed West Coaster | November 3, 2011 at 4:52 PM

There was a simpler time when you could walk out of the U Dub into a cushy job at WaMu writing negative amortizing mortgages on half million dollar homes to immigrant apple pickers. Okay, we suck at banking. Sorry. We'll stick to protesting things we don't really understand.

14. Posted by guest | November 3, 2011 at 4:53 PM

I haven't showered since Stacey left.

-Curtiss

15. Posted by Kerry Killinger, CEO | November 3, 2011 at 5:01 PM

The power of YES!

16. Posted by Ewot | November 3, 2011 at 5:15 PM

Why are all these people protesting "Wall Street"? I awakened today from a coma I went into back in 2007 and while my wife is fetching me the info on our portfolio of investments. (And for some reason she didn't really want to do so. Thank God I sold all those fucking Krugerands and bought pricey Florida "investment" condos before the coma!!) I saw the protests on CNN here in the hospital room.

-Investment Guy Who Just Awoke from a Coma

17. Posted by Anonymous | November 3, 2011 at 5:19 PM

I knew I smelled something sexy.

-OWS Guy #43

18. Posted by guest | November 3, 2011 at 5:33 PM

god i wish we could all live in the mountains.. at high altitudes..

19. Posted by guest | November 3, 2011 at 5:50 PM

You can't FOIL me!

-Goldman Quant/Part time Algebra teacher)

20. Posted by bobbysteele51 | November 3, 2011 at 5:52 PM

#OWS! The banks have gone too far, and have done so for a while! This weekend is Bank Transfer Day. Everyone should make a statement and move your money from a mega-bank to a local economy-based credit union. You should know the people you deal with and how you’re treated. learnmore.asmarterchoice.org has video examples of how people are seen by the banks, as well as info on credit unions in general.

21. Posted by A. Rose | November 3, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Sorry guys, I stayed in last night. Its hard to hold a protest of corporate greed in the cold November Rain.

22. Posted by Roger Moore | November 3, 2011 at 6:04 PM

Grecian formula for men….use it for next escape….

23. Posted by Guest | November 3, 2011 at 6:25 PM

*Groan*

24. Posted by J. Dimon | November 3, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Your hatred empowers me.

25. Posted by Karl Marx | November 3, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Mr. Rose,

Please stop saying I am alone in the cold November rain.

The PD gave me a bed to sleep in and they even fed me! I can now write my thesis….. Sell a capitalist a rope and he will hang himself.

Hungry OWS guy

26. Posted by J.P. Morgan | November 3, 2011 at 8:15 PM

J.D. may be a fine executive, but he lacks intestinal fortitude. In my day, I would have dispatched Pinkertons to deal with the mob while I calmly wlaked out the front door of the hotel to my carrage…

27. Posted by HFguy | November 4, 2011 at 8:27 AM

Damn those pepper sprays.

28. Posted by crork | September 12, 2012 at 12:39 AM

ZRq7Da Thank you ever so for you blog post.Much thanks again. Cool.