- 14 Dec 2011 at 1:13 PM
As some of you may recall, last year in an interview with the Finanacial Times, Bob Diamond revealed the secret to Barclays success: “a no-jerks policy on hiring, taken seriously from the top executive suites on down.” Unfortunately, despite a rigorous interview process, some pricks still slip through. Deadly serious about not having time for these types, Diamond said last week that he does not hesitate to can their asses, in some cases boxing up their belongings himself. And yet. The numbers quoted by The Enforcer seem suspiciously high.
The American-born chief executive of Barclays said he does not care how good people are at what they do, if they are not suitable, they will be asked to leave. Mr Diamond said if bankers act like ‘Prima Donnas’ or don’t get along with their colleagues they can work elsehwere. ‘You know what a jerk is when you see it,’ he said. ‘If we ever ignore the rule it always comes back to haunt us.’ So far he claims he’s ‘ditched 40 executives just for being jerks.’
- Is Bob Diamond Padding His Jerk-Firing Numbers? December 14, 2011
- Groundbreaking Research Reveals Junior Bankers "Fairly Pleased About" Not Working 100 Hour/Week Anymore August 19, 2014
- Pay Hike Watch '15: The Youth Of Goldman Sachs August 20, 2014
- Summer Associate Offer Watch '14: JP Morgan, BofA, Goldman Sachs, Citi August 15, 2014
- Opening Bell: 08.20.14 August 20, 2014
- Wedbush Securities Is In Trouble (Again) August 19, 2014
- Hedge Fund Has Fixed Everything At American Apparel August 19, 2014
- Carl Icahn Assigns @Carl_C_Icahn Twitter Feed As Required Reading August 19, 2014
- Wells Fargo's Code Name For Growth Plan Might As Well Be "Project Big Fat Slob" August 19, 2014
- Caption Contest Tuesday: Someone Looks Like He's Enjoying This A Little Too Much August 19, 2014
- Executive Editor
- Bess Levin
How Can We Help You?
- Send tips to:
- For tech issues email:
- For advertising or events email:
- For research or custom solutions email:
- Dealbreaker is published by Breaking Media.
For a full list of our sites, services and staff visit breakingmedia.com