That November, living at home and angry over what he saw as the unfairness of his predicament [of being suspended for cocaine possession and witness tampering], Lohse quietly visited the campus to report SAE for hazing. He had been encouraged to make the move by several friends and by his brother, Jon, who had quit his own fraternity during his senior year. Lohse met with Dartmouth’s associate dean for campus life, April Thompson, and David Spalding, Kim’s chief of staff, who was a brother at Alpha Delta of Animal House infamy. He told himself the move was in the fraternity’s – and Dartmouth’s – best interests. “I saw my role as a reformer,” he says. “I would argue that making these issues front and center is a very positive thing to do.” Telling none of his friends or fraternity brothers that he was in Hanover, Lohse presented the school officials with a “dossier of fraternity-hazing and substance-abuse-related­ information.” For well over an hour, he detailed his experiences and even named names…On February 22nd, his 22nd birthday, Lohse received a call from Dartmouth’s office of judicial affairs, informing him that, based on information he’d provided the college, they were pursuing charges against him for hazing. The college has also charged 27 other members of SAE, stemming from events in the 2011 pledge term. While the other students all categorically deny doing anything illegal, the information that Lohse provided to Dartmouth officials may directly implicate him in hazing. As a result, Lohse – the only student to come forward voluntarily – may be the only student who is ultimately punished. Coupled with the chair-throwing incident, the charges could get him expelled from Dartmouth. “I told them the unabridged truth, and they got me to incriminate myself,” he says. “I understand that no one is above the rules, but none of this would have even been possible if I hadn’t spoken out in the first place.” [Rolling Stone, related]

77 Responses to “Bridgewater Accuser/Dartmouth Fraternity Brother-Cum-Reformer Surprised Find Himself Not Covered By Whistleblowing Protection Laws”

1. deal_mkr says:

Although 2/22 (Lohse's 22nd birthday) was a Wednesday it certainly was a twos-day

2. Greg Smith says:

Knowing of misconduct to report as an accompaniment to your epically public personal crisis must be the NKI.

3. TheCumNazi says:

"Fraternity Brother-cum-Reformed Surprised Find"

I've read that about 12 times now and still don't get it. Is it just me or is the cum throwing everything off?

4. SadBro says:

Bros before bros?

5. TheCumNazi says:

Ahh, after re-reading it a few times I think I've figured it out. It should read:

Fraternity Brother Surprised to Find Himself not Covered by Cum

6. _guest says:

"That November, living at home and angry over what he saw as the unfairness of his predicament [of being suspended for cocaine possession and witness tampering]…"

No story that begins like this can end well.

7. COO Kurtz says:

I bet they even left dirty dishes in the sink, the horror.

-COO Kurtz & Johnson Investment Partners

8. guest says:

first paragraph of the story:

"Long before Andrew Lohse became a pariah at Dartmouth College, he was just another scarily accomplished teenager with lofty ambitions. Five feet 10 with large blue eyes and the kind of sweet-faced demeanor that always earned him a pass, he grew up in the not-quite-rural, not-quite-suburban, decidedly middle-class town of Branchburg, New Jersey, and attended a public school where he made mostly A's, scored 2190 on his SATs and compiled an exhaustive list of extracurricular activities that included varsity lacrosse, model U.N. (he was president), National Honor Society, band, orchestra, Spanish club, debate and – on weekends – a special pre-college program at the Manhattan School of Music, where he received a degree in jazz bass. He also wrote songs; gigged semiprofessionally at restaurants throughout New York, New Jersey and Connecticut; played drums for a rock band; chased, and conquered, numerous girls; and by his high school graduation, in 2008, had reached the pinnacle of adolescent cool by dating "this really hot skanky cheerleader," as he puts it."

9. Guest says:

I 100% agree with the Dartmouth office; to hypocritically lay blame while one in fact seems to be at the root of the cause should be punished to the full extent of the law.

– OWS Irony Quant

• guest says:

Maybe this should be signed "Dartmouth Frat-boy Asshat Quant"

…considering this has nothing to do w OWS. Just a thought.

• Guest says:

Hmm I see your point Guest.

Or you could say that burdening oneself with $100k in student debt while studying the cultural significance of steel drum ballads on Jamaican and ethiopian dystopia or perhaps medieval studies with a concentration in stonehenge architecture and then camping out next to a Century 21 for 4 months protesting those who lent you money and helped pay for your quaint childhood colonial style home with the ionic columns framing the wicker furniture on your deck that you realized no one ever sat in and you always thought your mom was a conformist for buying but nonetheless made the house looks particularly picturesque when the hydrangeas bloomed in the late spring…or helped fund the company that supplies you with your music player, fancy laptop, sleek new tablet and…

I'll just stop there. Maybe the whole "root of the problem" scene played out better in my head.

• guest says:

The point is that while there's a time a place to mock OWS, this is the time to be mocking date-raping little fraternity Fascists, you fucking moron. I know it's hard to stay focused but just this once give it a try.

• merkin_capital says:

Frat? You don't call your country "cunt".

10. PermaGuestII says:

Lt. Douglas Neidermeyer
    (killed in Vietnam by his own troops)

11. Lohser says:

Karma is alive and well.

12. Texashedge says:

"As a result, Lohse – the only student to come forward voluntarily – may be the only student who is ultimately punished."

• merkin_capital says:

He's clearly a GDI at heart.

• PermaGuestII says:

Anyone else think this kid got let in for some extra-special triple-distilled hazing *because* everyone thought he was a self-righteous jerk?

13. Brad Birkenfeld says:

I know exactly how this guy feels.

14. merkin_capital says:

I'll show you a cum-reformer. Equine style.

-M. Taibbi

15. deal_mkr says:

"All of this binge boozing leads inevitably to binge vomiting. Puking and then continuing to drink – the term is "boot and rally" – is an indelible part of Dartmouth social culture, heralded by successive classes of students. "You're horrified at first, but then you get used to it," says Lohse. "There's a certain way of doing things at Dartmouth, and if you want to succeed, you just have to do it that way.""

Is this kid a square or what?

"Dartmouth frat boys pride themselves on being able to drink six cups of beer in less than 30 seconds – it's called a "quick six," and requires a person to literally open their gullet and pour the liquid down."

I think the only "quick six" that Lohse participated in was in the hockey locker room shower

16. that guy says:

Lohse & Wollensky

17. Ken Lewis says:

"Then a brother handed each of them a bottle of Boone's Farm Blue Hawaiian – a Windex-colored cohort of Mad Dog – and told them that whoever drank it the fastest got to remain. You go to Dartmouth, Lohse told himself as he pounded the Boone's. You don't lose."

Who calls that hazing?

• toot says:

but ironically my name is lohse ?

the only reason I went back to campus that day was cuz I was out of blow and looking to score.

and now you've gone and fucked up my gig

• HYP Adcom says:

You don't?

18. Guest says:

So not a total frat move

19. Andy says:

When I was in college I used to get wicked hammered. My nickname was puke. I would chug a fifth of socos, sneak into a frat party, polish off a few people's empties, some brewskies, some Jell-O shots, do some body shots off myself, pass out, wake up the next morning, puke, rally, more soco, head to class. Probably would have gotten expelled if I had let it affect my grades, but I aced all my courses. They called me Ace. It was totally awesome. Got straight B's. They called me Buzz.

-A. "Nard Dog" Bernard

• Broseph says:

I do the same thing, except at my CFA night classes.

-1st year analyst, still answers to "Broseph"

• Drew Bernard says:

I went to Cornell, ever heard of it? I graduated in four years, never studied once, I was drunk the whole time, and I sang in the a cappella group, Here Comes Treble.

-Andy Bernard Class of '95

20. Mexi_Cant says:

Lohse only received a "bid," or offer to pledge the frat, after several brothers came to his defense, citing his popularity with women. A friend recalls walking into Lohse's room one night to find a girl in his bed, alone, while Lohse was in bed with another girl down the hall.

-Touche you failure at life, touche

• HTH says:

Slams at Ivies, especially Dartmouth are woof material. This douche sounds like a middle class try-hard and his faux-coy bragging is obnoxious. You can't call yourself a Lothario if you're fucking dogs. 5 + 5 doesn't make a dime piece.

21. guest says:

I'd hardly call this stuff hazing. 550 beers is simply a road trip out to the west coast.
    W. Boggs

22. Hyena bro says:

Isn't ratting out your frat brothers the third-round interview at Bridgewater?

23. TheSilentFloor says:

Jesus, was there a tampax machine in the bathroom at this frat house>?

24. momentus says:

same assholes everywhere

25. Buttard says:

If you got into the school with "mostly" A's, as opposed to "all", you're not in the Ivy League

26. Xenomorph says:

Huh? What's the problem?

-DSK legal counsel quant

27. Guest says:

Is it just me or does it sound like the admissions committee is trying to resend his offer 6 semesters in after realizing he is decidedly not Bro material?

28. Guest Coast says:

Call me. I like the cut of your jib.

Stacey H.

29. Animal House Quant says:

So Lohse = Greg Smith of Dartmouth frats

30. TheSilentFloor says:

31. Dean Vernon Wormer says:

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son.

32. rxRzkl Really appreciate you sharing this blog article.Thanks Again. Really Cool.

33. crork says:

uGF0Yx I cannot thank you enough for the post.Thanks Again. Great.