That November, living at home and angry over what he saw as the unfairness of his predicament [of being suspended for cocaine possession and witness tampering], Lohse quietly visited the campus to report SAE for hazing. He had been encouraged to make the move by several friends and by his brother, Jon, who had quit his own fraternity during his senior year. Lohse met with Dartmouth’s associate dean for campus life, April Thompson, and David Spalding, Kim’s chief of staff, who was a brother at Alpha Delta of Animal House infamy. He told himself the move was in the fraternity’s – and Dartmouth’s – best interests. “I saw my role as a reformer,” he says. “I would argue that making these issues front and center is a very positive thing to do.” Telling none of his friends or fraternity brothers that he was in Hanover, Lohse presented the school officials with a “dossier of fraternity-hazing and substance-abuse-related­ information.” For well over an hour, he detailed his experiences and even named names…On February 22nd, his 22nd birthday, Lohse received a call from Dartmouth’s office of judicial affairs, informing him that, based on information he’d provided the college, they were pursuing charges against him for hazing. The college has also charged 27 other members of SAE, stemming from events in the 2011 pledge term. While the other students all categorically deny doing anything illegal, the information that Lohse provided to Dartmouth officials may directly implicate him in hazing. As a result, Lohse – the only student to come forward voluntarily – may be the only student who is ultimately punished. Coupled with the chair-throwing incident, the charges could get him expelled from Dartmouth. “I told them the unabridged truth, and they got me to incriminate myself,” he says. “I understand that no one is above the rules, but none of this would have even been possible if I hadn’t spoken out in the first place.” [Rolling Stone, related]

1. Posted by deal_mkr | March 28, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Although 2/22 (Lohse's 22nd birthday) was a Wednesday it certainly was a twos-day

2. Posted by Greg Smith | March 28, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Knowing of misconduct to report as an accompaniment to your epically public personal crisis must be the NKI.

3. Posted by TheCumNazi | March 28, 2012 at 4:33 PM

"Fraternity Brother-cum-Reformed Surprised Find"

I've read that about 12 times now and still don't get it. Is it just me or is the cum throwing everything off?

4. Posted by L. Tilton | March 28, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Nope, quite the opposite actually.

5. Posted by SadBro | March 28, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Bros before bros?

6. Posted by TheCumNazi | March 28, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Ahh, after re-reading it a few times I think I've figured it out. It should read:

Fraternity Brother Surprised to Find Himself not Covered by Cum

7. Posted by _guest | March 28, 2012 at 4:37 PM

"That November, living at home and angry over what he saw as the unfairness of his predicament [of being suspended for cocaine possession and witness tampering]…"

No story that begins like this can end well.

8. Posted by COO Kurtz | March 28, 2012 at 4:37 PM

I bet they even left dirty dishes in the sink, the horror.

-COO Kurtz & Johnson Investment Partners

9. Posted by guest | March 28, 2012 at 4:40 PM

first paragraph of the story:

"Long before Andrew Lohse became a pariah at Dartmouth College, he was just another scarily accomplished teenager with lofty ambitions. Five feet 10 with large blue eyes and the kind of sweet-faced demeanor that always earned him a pass, he grew up in the not-quite-rural, not-quite-suburban, decidedly middle-class town of Branchburg, New Jersey, and attended a public school where he made mostly A's, scored 2190 on his SATs and compiled an exhaustive list of extracurricular activities that included varsity lacrosse, model U.N. (he was president), National Honor Society, band, orchestra, Spanish club, debate and – on weekends – a special pre-college program at the Manhattan School of Music, where he received a degree in jazz bass. He also wrote songs; gigged semiprofessionally at restaurants throughout New York, New Jersey and Connecticut; played drums for a rock band; chased, and conquered, numerous girls; and by his high school graduation, in 2008, had reached the pinnacle of adolescent cool by dating "this really hot skanky cheerleader," as he puts it."

10. Posted by Guest | March 28, 2012 at 4:40 PM

I 100% agree with the Dartmouth office; to hypocritically lay blame while one in fact seems to be at the root of the cause should be punished to the full extent of the law.

– OWS Irony Quant

11. Posted by guest | March 28, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Maybe this should be signed "Dartmouth Frat-boy Asshat Quant"

…considering this has nothing to do w OWS. Just a thought.

12. Posted by PermaGuestII | March 28, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Lt. Douglas Neidermeyer
    (killed in Vietnam by his own troops)

13. Posted by Bluto Gartman | March 28, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Which I'd like to note I presciently predicted.

14. Posted by Lohser | March 28, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Karma is alive and well.

15. Posted by Guest | March 28, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Hmm I see your point Guest.

Or you could say that burdening oneself with $100k in student debt while studying the cultural significance of steel drum ballads on Jamaican and ethiopian dystopia or perhaps medieval studies with a concentration in stonehenge architecture and then camping out next to a Century 21 for 4 months protesting those who lent you money and helped pay for your quaint childhood colonial style home with the ionic columns framing the wicker furniture on your deck that you realized no one ever sat in and you always thought your mom was a conformist for buying but nonetheless made the house looks particularly picturesque when the hydrangeas bloomed in the late spring…or helped fund the company that supplies you with your music player, fancy laptop, sleek new tablet and…

I'll just stop there. Maybe the whole "root of the problem" scene played out better in my head.

16. Posted by Texashedge | March 28, 2012 at 4:54 PM

"As a result, Lohse – the only student to come forward voluntarily – may be the only student who is ultimately punished."

NF

17. Posted by merkin_capital | March 28, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Frat? You don't call your country "cunt".

18. Posted by Brad Birkenfeld | March 28, 2012 at 4:57 PM

I know exactly how this guy feels.

19. Posted by merkin_capital | March 28, 2012 at 4:58 PM

I'll show you a cum-reformer. Equine style.

-M. Taibbi

20. Posted by deal_mkr | March 28, 2012 at 4:59 PM

"All of this binge boozing leads inevitably to binge vomiting. Puking and then continuing to drink – the term is "boot and rally" – is an indelible part of Dartmouth social culture, heralded by successive classes of students. "You're horrified at first, but then you get used to it," says Lohse. "There's a certain way of doing things at Dartmouth, and if you want to succeed, you just have to do it that way.""

Is this kid a square or what?

"Dartmouth frat boys pride themselves on being able to drink six cups of beer in less than 30 seconds – it's called a "quick six," and requires a person to literally open their gullet and pour the liquid down."

I think the only "quick six" that Lohse participated in was in the hockey locker room shower

21. Posted by that guy | March 28, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Lohse & Wollensky

22. Posted by blunty 420 | March 28, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Im a zit¡!!

23. Posted by Ken Lewis | March 28, 2012 at 5:04 PM

"Then a brother handed each of them a bottle of Boone's Farm Blue Hawaiian – a Windex-colored cohort of Mad Dog – and told them that whoever drank it the fastest got to remain. You go to Dartmouth, Lohse told himself as he pounded the Boone's. You don't lose."

Who calls that hazing?

24. Posted by merkin_capital | March 28, 2012 at 5:05 PM

He's clearly a GDI at heart.

25. Posted by PermaGuestII | March 28, 2012 at 5:06 PM

(excuse me while I throw up in my wastebasket)

26. Posted by gab | March 28, 2012 at 5:07 PM

"What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!"

27. Posted by Guest | March 28, 2012 at 5:09 PM

-1, trying to hard.

28. Posted by Guest | March 28, 2012 at 5:10 PM

So not a total frat move

29. Posted by PermaGuestII | March 28, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Anyone else think this kid got let in for some extra-special triple-distilled hazing *because* everyone thought he was a self-righteous jerk?

30. Posted by Texashedge | March 28, 2012 at 5:12 PM

You left out the last part:

"He was also a colossal pussy."

31. Posted by Wollensky | March 28, 2012 at 5:14 PM

No thank you.

32. Posted by PermaGuestII | March 28, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Wonder how his high school girlfriend likes being described as "skanky" in a national publication.

33. Posted by Texashedge | March 28, 2012 at 5:22 PM

I imagine she's made up, so probably not too bad

34. Posted by guest | March 28, 2012 at 5:25 PM

The point is that while there's a time a place to mock OWS, this is the time to be mocking date-raping little fraternity Fascists, you fucking moron. I know it's hard to stay focused but just this once give it a try.

35. Posted by Whoops | March 28, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Man, suspension for coke and witness tampering? Tough break.

-T. Martin.

36. Posted by Guest | March 28, 2012 at 5:31 PM

I was under the impression it was always the time and place to mock OWS.

37. Posted by Double Entendrer | March 28, 2012 at 5:46 PM

The additional use of the latin "cum" stains the reference.

38. Posted by E. Texas Gas Trader | March 28, 2012 at 5:49 PM

I like my women a little on the skanky side. Gold tube-tops and a Tri-Delt tattoo on their ankle somewhere adds luster.

39. Posted by Andy | March 28, 2012 at 5:49 PM

When I was in college I used to get wicked hammered. My nickname was puke. I would chug a fifth of socos, sneak into a frat party, polish off a few people's empties, some brewskies, some Jell-O shots, do some body shots off myself, pass out, wake up the next morning, puke, rally, more soco, head to class. Probably would have gotten expelled if I had let it affect my grades, but I aced all my courses. They called me Ace. It was totally awesome. Got straight B's. They called me Buzz.

-A. "Nard Dog" Bernard

40. Posted by L as in Lohzza | March 28, 2012 at 5:51 PM

cum, Surprised

41. Posted by Texashedge | March 28, 2012 at 5:52 PM

You stay the fuck away from my wife

42. Posted by Mexi_Cant | March 28, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Lohse only received a "bid," or offer to pledge the frat, after several brothers came to his defense, citing his popularity with women. A friend recalls walking into Lohse's room one night to find a girl in his bed, alone, while Lohse was in bed with another girl down the hall.

-Touche you failure at life, touche

43. Posted by had six its 70 here | March 28, 2012 at 5:55 PM

that one fucking guy ?

44. Posted by toot | March 28, 2012 at 5:57 PM

but ironically my name is lohse ?

the only reason I went back to campus that day was cuz I was out of blow and looking to score.

and now you've gone and fucked up my gig

45. Posted by HYP Adcom | March 28, 2012 at 5:59 PM

You don't?

46. Posted by guest | March 28, 2012 at 6:01 PM

I'd hardly call this stuff hazing. 550 beers is simply a road trip out to the west coast.
    W. Boggs

47. Posted by Hyena bro | March 28, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Isn't ratting out your frat brothers the third-round interview at Bridgewater?

48. Posted by TheSilentFloor | March 28, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Jesus, was there a tampax machine in the bathroom at this frat house>?

49. Posted by N. Freeman | March 28, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Close, actually it's SAC.

50. Posted by guest | March 28, 2012 at 7:09 PM

That's ratting out your best man.

51. Posted by Earth | March 28, 2012 at 7:10 PM

You're an idiot.

52. Posted by momentus | March 28, 2012 at 7:29 PM

same assholes everywhere

53. Posted by Buttard | March 28, 2012 at 7:51 PM

If you got into the school with "mostly" A's, as opposed to "all", you're not in the Ivy League

54. Posted by Hello? | March 28, 2012 at 7:58 PM

And yet he went to Dartmouth, which categorically in the Ivy League, so.

55. Posted by Bode Miller | March 28, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Respect.

56. Posted by sucks | March 28, 2012 at 8:44 PM

If you needed straight A's to get into Dartmouth you must have gone to public school. Or Avon.

57. Posted by Scipio Africanus | March 28, 2012 at 9:21 PM

It's Latin you cretin. Contain your baser instincts.

58. Posted by Broseph | March 28, 2012 at 9:25 PM

I do the same thing, except at my CFA night classes.

-1st year analyst, still answers to "Broseph"

59. Posted by Xenomorph | March 28, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Huh? What's the problem?

-DSK legal counsel quant

60. Posted by Guest | March 28, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Is it just me or does it sound like the admissions committee is trying to resend his offer 6 semesters in after realizing he is decidedly not Bro material?

61. Posted by Guest Coast | March 28, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Andrew,
    Call me. I like the cut of your jib.

Stacey H.

62. Posted by Animal House Quant | March 28, 2012 at 10:52 PM

So Lohse = Greg Smith of Dartmouth frats

63. Posted by zeitguest | March 29, 2012 at 5:33 AM

so, uhh, sorry for balling you in college. you're still a moron.

64. Posted by TheSilentFloor | March 29, 2012 at 8:04 AM

Lohser

65. Posted by Dean Vernon Wormer | March 29, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son.

66. Posted by Impressed | March 29, 2012 at 9:45 AM

+1000

67. Posted by Circle | March 29, 2012 at 10:03 AM

-1 for calling somebody a "square"

68. Posted by Incitatus | March 29, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Man, that comment is just oozes Piney Woods Smith County trashy.

69. Posted by HTH | March 29, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Slams at Ivies, especially Dartmouth are woof material. This douche sounds like a middle class try-hard and his faux-coy bragging is obnoxious. You can't call yourself a Lothario if you're fucking dogs. 5 + 5 doesn't make a dime piece.

70. Posted by HTH | March 29, 2012 at 11:44 AM

I question if "really hot" means what he thinks it means.

71. Posted by Laxbro | March 29, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Lax and a skanky slam piece are chill. But all of that music shit sounds gay and I don't need to be in the Spanish club to be able to order at Chipotle. Mlib.

72. Posted by Drew Bernard | March 29, 2012 at 2:18 PM

I went to Cornell, ever heard of it? I graduated in four years, never studied once, I was drunk the whole time, and I sang in the a cappella group, Here Comes Treble.

-Andy Bernard Class of '95

73. Posted by Instigator | March 29, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Fat drunk and just covered in cum is no way to go through life…

74. Posted by Lynn | March 30, 2012 at 11:25 AM

I disagree.

L. Tilton

75. Posted by Bristol Airport Hotels | April 18, 2012 at 6:03 PM

rxRzkl Really appreciate you sharing this blog article.Thanks Again. Really Cool.

76. Posted by crork | September 19, 2012 at 4:20 PM

uGF0Yx I cannot thank you enough for the post.Thanks Again. Great.

77. Posted by Site http://www.1001bonnesaffaires.com/ | October 15, 2012 at 4:04 AM

FOLLOW G STREET CHRONICLES, THE LEADER IN URBAN PUBLISHING! http://WWW.GSTREETCHRONICLES.COM