• 19 Apr 2012 at 7:10 PM

Risk-On, Risk-Off, Risk-Of-Firing

Oh, the world. Go read Jeremy Grantham’s GMO quarterly letter; as always it’s pretty fun. Then go read this HSBC report that Paul Murphy wrote about on Alphaville. These are things you probably know already but are worth remembering. First, Grantham:

The central truth of the investment business is that investment behavior is driven by career risk. In the professional investment business we are all agents, managing other peoples’ money. The prime directive, as Keynes knew so well, is first and last to keep your job. To do this, he explained that you must never, ever be wrong on your own. To prevent this calamity, professional investors pay ruthless attention to what other investors in general are doing. The great majority “go with the flow,” either completely or partially. This creates herding, or momentum, which drives prices far above or far below fair price. There are many other inefficiencies in market pricing, but this is by far the largest. It explains the discrepancy between a remarkably volatile stock market and a remarkably stable GDP growth, together with an equally stable growth in “fair value” for the stock market. This difference is massive – two-thirds of the time annual GDP growth and annual change in the fair value of the market is within plus or minus a tiny 1% of its long-term trend. The market’s actual price – brought to us by the workings of wild and wooly individuals – is within plus or minus 19% two-thirds of the time. Thus, the market moves 19 times more than is justified by the underlying engines!

You probably knew that, though the numbers were new to me.* This though seemed like a useful breakdown:

Career and business risk is not at all evenly spread across all investment levels. Career risk is very modest, for example, when you are picking insurance stocks; it is therefore hard to lose your job. … Picking oil, say, versus insurance is much more visible and therefore more dangerous. Picking cash or “conservatism” against a roaring bull market probably lies beyond the pain threshold of any publicly traded enterprise. … Thus, because asset class selection packs a more deadly punch in the career and business risk game, the great investment opportunities are much more likely to be at the asset class level than at the stock or industry level. But even if you know this, dear professional reader, you will probably not be able to do too much about it if you value your job …

So basically: there are pennies to be picked up by fearless contrarians who pick the right insurance stocks, dimes to be picked up by contrarians picking the right equity sectors, and shiny gold dollars for those who know when to be in risk when others are in cash and vice versa.

The HSBC thing … won’t tell you how to do that. But it will tell you … how much of that you need to do, or something. It’s sort of neat; they smushed together thirty-four markets and deconstructed them with a principal component analysis, in which the returns are a linear combination of components and the first component is what explains the largest portion of the variance in asset returns. Call that component (they do) “risk on – risk off,” or RORO, which I suppose you have to pronounce as though you were Scooby Doo. If that factor is very high then you are swinging wildly between risk-on buying of developed market equities and risk-off buying of Treasuries or VIX or weirdly BAA corporate bonds; if that factor is very low then you are all “hmm I enjoy both wheat and gilts so why don’t I buy both?” or something like that. Anyway now it’s high so everything is a binary yay:

And then they give you some advice on how to trade that increasingly binary dynamic, which boils down to:
(1) embrace it (“trade the factor”) and just wake up each day deciding whether to be all in cash or all in levered S&P futures or whatever, about which they dryly note “the investor still needs to get the call right of course,” or
(2) fight it. Their advice on fighting it is, oh just go read it, there are ports and shopping malls, but they have some interesting things to say about dealing with RORO in pre-existing strategies. I liked one of them; if you’re interested, feel free to join me down below.**

So who will correlate the correlators? Or: what drove RORO up since 2007? HSBC has a bunch of answers and again you know them already: ETFs, globalization, and what they call “a new systemic risk factor” by which they mostly mean quantitative easing and other policy stuff. So, sure, though kind of boring.

Isn’t Grantham’s thing evocative? What if your model of what drives this RORO/correlation dynamic comes not from fundamentals or from regulator actions but from actions by career-minded investment managers? Pre-2007, career risk was mitigated by the fact that hey you could always get another job; blowing yourself up was just a rite of passage and there was always another bank. Since 2007, all the apocalyptic talk about the end of the financial world may make those with good gigs more reluctant to lose them – upping the value, to them if not to investors, of following the herd.

My Sister’s Pension Assets and Agency Problems (The Tension between Protecting Your Job or Your Clients’ Money) [GMO]
This correlated world [FTAV]
Risk On – Risk Off: Fixing a broken investment process [FTAV Long Room]

* I say unto you, idly, that in an economy with lots of debt, if GDP growth is sort of ROA and S&P growth is sort of ROE, shouldn’t the latter be more volatile than the former even absent investment-manager-careerism technicals? Exercise for the reader.

** I found this both likable and troubling:

Equity long/short strategies aim to trade the relative performance of equities at stock or sector level. The strategy might typically involve going long one sector and short another around some underlying benchmark portfolio, containing say the S&P 500. Low correlation to the underlying benchmark is an essential feature of the approach. Of course, in today’s world of high cross-asset correlations, equity market neutrality and RORO neutrality amount to the same thing.

[... but] active returns are now also RORO dominated, although for a different, more subtle reason. Equities have always been correlated with each other as they contain a common market component. Relative-value trades would see these market components generally offset to give market neutrality. The advent of RORO and higher equity correlations has dramatically changed this. Any failure to perfectly offset is now a problem as the common market components are, quite simply, bigger. When they don’t fully offset they leave a sizable market position left over, which dominates returns. These supposed “alpha” returns are thus correlated to the underlying equity market and behave like any other risky asset. They change leverage rather than provide alpha.

… [H]owever, there is hope. … Equity long/short strategies can be constructed in a more sophisticated way so as to make them market-neutral and hence RORO-neutral. This can be done using S&P futures or by more judicious basket construction. Fuller details of the problem and various solutions can be found in ‘Equity Insights: Alpha – not dead, just hiding’, 6 December 2011.

So I read the linked thing and gather that the basic point here is like “if you are long $500mm of Sector X and want to hedge by going short Sector Y, don’t just short $500mm notional of Sector Y; short [($500mm x Sector X beta) / (Sector Y beta)] worth of Sector Y so you’re flat beta rather than flat dollars.” Is that … I mean, is that news? Huh. We talked a little bit yesterday about smushing all your exposures into a ball and seeing where they poke up out of the ball and pushing them down where they poke up. Actually measuring your exposures seems like a key part of that. Notionals are at a first approximation a dumb way to measure exposures. Anyway. Thanks HSBC!

Also: if my earlier post was brought to you by Latin, this one is brought to you by Greeks. Look at them sometimes.

1. Posted by Anon | April 20, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Ctrl-f "eigenvalue". 0 of 0.
    Leaving disappointed

2. Posted by VonSloneker | April 20, 2012 at 9:51 AM

"Pre-2007, career risk was mitigated by the fact that hey you could always get another job; blowing yourself up was just a rite of passage and there was always another bank."

I've been saying most of the stuff Grantham is saying for years but was blind to Matty's insight above. I've been thinking about the dearth of risk appetite in terms of a lack of available leverage (in the system and to consumers). The eat/starve binary outcome for independent failure seems to fit better…

Alternatively…

Roh-Roh, ri'm rumping Daphne's leg.

– S. Doo, VP Mystery Inc.

3. Posted by Guest | April 20, 2012 at 9:53 AM

I got to the part where you said "This though seemed like a useful breakdown" .. and then I broke down.

4. Posted by Bill Miller | April 20, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Beta dominates Alpha….well, well, well, this IS news!

5. Posted by Guestest | April 20, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Herding theory again!! Looks like the wildebeest — hyena standoff test question was useful after all.

6. Posted by P-Funk | April 20, 2012 at 3:44 PM

it's much more complicated than beta neutrality. There are limits to arbitrage arguments/liquidity events that make equity long/shorts have positive beta when the sh*t hits the fan. That being said, there are ways to hedge this equity/short vol tail event with other asset class strategies….like managed futures for instance.

7. Posted by Meme | April 21, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Great stuff Matt. No sarcasm.

8. Posted by cheap seo services | September 10, 2012 at 8:39 PM

O75hTc Very neat blog post.Really looking forward to read more. Will read on…

9. Posted by Hiram Dimitry | October 3, 2012 at 7:41 AM

Verry great web site and handy! I believe i will arrive back again one day !SD

10. Posted by nusajaya sq | October 4, 2012 at 11:55 PM

They have every right to know how to get local and oversea expertise advice on. Statistics indicate that personal residences are better maintained than properties that are not insureds, under the following circumstances: 1. They have every right to know as much as 30 to 45. {||||

11. Posted by new york travel deals | October 5, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Do you mind if I quote a few of your posts as long as I provide credit and sources back to your blog? My blog site is in the very same niche as yours and my users would truly benefit from a lot of the information you provide here. Please let me know if this ok with you. Many thanks!

12. Posted by Rachell Drader | October 5, 2012 at 3:31 AM

One particular could argue which the age on the muscle car genuinely commenced right here.

13. Posted by bezpłatne konto bankowe online | October 5, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Anastasia, really interesting observation about your love to English!

14. Posted by kliknij | October 5, 2012 at 2:50 PM

I’d approximating to compensate this in, desire Lolita Teens
    She is one fine fuck,I,d approximating to fuck her for about an hr and then I,d similar to to crazy glue her lips on my dick for another hr or so.

15. Posted by Lianne Lanphere | October 5, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Begin by setting an marketing spending budget. A common rule of thumb is always to dedicate two to 5 percent of one’s expected gross sales to advertising. If you’re expecting $150,000 in gross sales, set aside $3000 to $7500 for advertising. If you’re just starting your cleaning enterprise this may possibly not be enough. You could really need to devote a lot more revenue operating ads announcing your business so your prospective jaydeep biswas clientele know a brand new cleaning service is in town.

16. Posted by Isabelle Bellefontaine | October 6, 2012 at 3:01 AM

I like your web site. I found it on Yahoo. I’m adding you to my bookmarks.

17. Posted by look what I found | October 6, 2012 at 7:11 AM

A round of applause for your post.Much thankfulness again. Strength of character study on…

18. Posted by Christine Midgette | October 6, 2012 at 1:32 PM

While making your holiday greeting card, you could also include your logo and a picture of your department, company or organization for an extra personal touch to the card. So it is always better to create a logo for your company using vector graphics so that the logo could be resized each big and small for the convenience for printing. This logo can also be used to print holiday themed letterheads and business enterprise cards for the holiday season. If griffin holdings group llc you could also add a holiday message to give the personal touch to the stationery.

19. Posted by Bethanie Lundstrom | October 7, 2012 at 4:19 PM

What’s Going down i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I’ve found It absolutely useful and it has helped me out loads. I’m hoping to contribute & help different users like its aided me. Good job.

20. Posted by Schlafzimmerplissee günstig | October 8, 2012 at 12:22 AM

…liberals… liberals… liberals employed by private enterprise (or “job creators”).

21. Posted by Faltrollos günstig | October 8, 2012 at 12:43 AM

That’s exactly what I used to be wondering. No offense on the inventor, but what happened when you cut away what would appear to be at least a fourth of your car’s structure? I think I know what became of most of these Pintos. Unless there was some sort of structural stiffener added, sags, cracks and doors that won’t close or pop open at inopportune instances, and other maladies would have lead to an early trip towards the crusher. Other wise it truly is not a lousy hunting modification.

22. Posted by Lavone Arturo | October 8, 2012 at 3:37 AM

It’s really a great and useful piece of information. I’m happy that you shared this useful info with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.

23. Posted by Decatrim Amazon | October 8, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Superb read, I just passed this onto a roommate who was performing a little investigation on that. And he actually bought me lunch because I found it for him. So allow me rephrase that: Thanks for lunch!

24. Posted by cable internet Tucson | October 8, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Great goods from you, man. I’ve don’t forget your stuff previous to and you’re just extremely excellent. I actually like what you’ve acquired here, actually like what you might be declaring as well as way by which that you are stating it. You’re building it enjoyable and you even now care for to stay it smart. I cannot hold out to learn far a lot more from you. Which is really a great web page.

25. Posted by Managers use to conceptualize about abstract or complex situations. | October 9, 2012 at 4:17 AM
  26. Posted by home alcohol distillers | October 9, 2012 at 6:22 AM

hi!,I really like your writing so much! proportion we be in contact more about your post on AOL? I need an expert in this area to unravel my problem. Maybe that is you! Having a look forward to peer you.

27. Posted by ... | October 9, 2012 at 12:11 PM

This is a clear redeployment, I was wondering if I possibly will use this write-up by my website, I will bond it back to your website though. Condition this is a problem satisfy agree to me identify and I will engage it consume acceptably away

28. Posted by personal loan | October 10, 2012 at 12:41 AM

The fees you pay however to a more stress-free financial life. A bank personal loans is calculated by a finance company, then your account receivable is debited increasing the amount estimated to be the case. The first thing to think about paying it off early to avoid interest costs. As far as the balance sheet goes, when a personal loans modification is the principal and the partner, but the lender knows what the personal loans and disbursing the proceeds.

29. Posted by Cox Mesa | October 10, 2012 at 1:59 AM

or data entry then you could be able to go away devoid of one but for almost everything else will should design and style internet site name. But, okay, I am below to inform you that this need to have not be as alarming a prospect might look at

30. Posted by Pat Blem | October 10, 2012 at 11:54 AM

You make a great point. Got some nice info here. I think that if more people thought about it that way, they’d have a better time get the hang ofing the issue.

31. Posted by http://factometer.com/story.php?title=betonline-reviews | October 11, 2012 at 8:07 AM

I enjoy your writing style truly loving this internet site. “Sometimes a scream is better than a thesis.” by Ralph Waldo Emerson.

32. Posted by Trang Fleak | October 12, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Thanks for your submission. I also think that laptop computers are getting to be more and more popular currently, and now are sometimes the only type of computer used in a household. This is because at the same time that they are becoming more and more economical, their processing power keeps growing to the point where they’re as powerful as pc’s coming from just a few years ago.

33. Posted by richard walker gebo | October 13, 2012 at 12:17 AM

When the plant is ingrained, after a couple of months or so, richard walker gebo will need feeding and care. When a flowering plant does flower it utilizes up very a bit of electricity and will need to have this vitality has to be renewed. For the most component, the main nutrient required is Nitrogen. Potash and Potassium are also necessary so verify the back of the seed pack or a plant data tag for essential amounts. Cut routinely to promote growth but be specified to not in excess of lower for a entire year of flowers.

34. Posted by wypadek w uk | October 13, 2012 at 12:05 PM

When I at the outset commented I clicked the -Notify me when new to the job commentary are added- checkbox and now each time a comment is additional I get 4 emails with the identical comment. Is near some instrument you’ll live able to engage away me from that service? Thanks!

35. Posted by Homepage | October 13, 2012 at 5:37 PM

I do believe all the concepts you’ve presented to your post. They’re really convincing and will definitely work. Still, the posts are very short for beginners. May just you please lengthen them a little from subsequent time? Thanks for the post. A Good Idea Online Site

36. Posted by flv 2 mp3 converter | October 13, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Exactly what I was looking for, regards for putting up. “Pardon one offense, and you encourage the commission of many.” by Publilius Syrus.

37. Posted by wypadek w uk | October 15, 2012 at 11:14 AM

I are really absent for a although, on the contrary instantly As of the why I accustomed to love this website. Show appreciation a person, I’ll make an attempt to ensure backside more recurrently. How usually you up-date your web site?

38. Posted by richard walker gebo | October 15, 2012 at 6:53 PM

There are once-a-year flowers which flower for one particular time and then are completed, perennial blossoms which bloom year after year and biennial blossoms which flower in the second time and richard walker gebo are accomplished. All are great blossoms but if you are going to do it right you may possibly as properly go for the perennials that come again period right after time. As you selected the fresh flowers you’ll be generating contemplate the weather they favor and time them by means of the 12 months.

39. Posted by Sandy Platas | October 15, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Attractive portion of content material. I just stumbled upon your weblog and in accession capital to assert that I get in fact loved account your weblog posts. Anyway I will probably be subscribing to your augment and even I success you get admission to constantly swiftly.

40. Posted by Josie Treto | October 16, 2012 at 7:35 AM

F*ckin’ amazing things here. I’m very glad to see your post. Thanks a lot and i’m looking ahead to touch you. Will you please drop me a e-mail?

41. Posted by 3d wallpapers | October 16, 2012 at 7:10 PM

“I love whatever you guys are usually right up really. This kind of sensible do the trick plus confirming! Keep current a awesome will work males I included you really guys to be able to my own blogroll. “

42. Posted by escort dates | October 16, 2012 at 7:16 PM

I enjoy what you guys are usually up too. This sort of clever work and reporting! Keep up the terrific works guys I’ve included you guys to blogroll. escort dates