News

On Monday night, New York Knicks power forward and fashion-world darling Amar’e Stoudemire made a mess of the visiting team’s locker room in Miami. Following the Knicks’ defeat, Stoudemire punched through the glass encasement of a fire extinguisher. His hand suffered lacerations and he left the arena with his arm in a sling. He issued a perfunctory apology via Twitter, but the damage was done: After hand surgery he missed game three of the series and remains doubtful for game four. The Knicks organization, thus far, has issued no suspensions or fines. Let’s say a regular corporate worker had acted in a similar fashion—and essentially attacked his or her office building in an emotional outburst. He or she would be fired on the spot, right? Well, not so fast…“Most companies have policies that deal specifically with violence,” says Patricia Mathews, founder of Workplace Solution Pros, a human resources consultancy. “First of all, the employee would be sent out for a drug and alcohol test.” If the employee wasn’t revealed to be under the influence and didn’t have a history of violent behavior, there’s still a chance he or she would keep his or her job, according to Mathews. [BusinessWeek]

10 comments

10 Responses to “BusinessWeek: Most Companies Have A Pretty Lax Policy Re: Destruction Of Private Property, Actually”

1. S. Notgonnaworkhere says:

So destroying a fax machine while blasting Ghetto Boys isn't a fireable offense?

• PermaGuestII says:

Ummm… I'm gonna have to go ahead and… disagree with you there.

• derp says:

Correct. Not celebrating Michael Bolton's entire catalog on the other hand….

• guest says:

Bob: What would… you say… ya do here?

Tom: Well look, I already told you–I deal with the god damn customers so the engineers don't have to. I have people skills–I am good at dealing with people. Can't you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people?

2. Guest says:

What's the policy on destroying the contents in a co-worker's water bottle?

3. CoveredLong says:

Violent emotional outbursts are definitely a pretty lax policy, bro.

-George W. Huguely V

4. Nevermind says:

I'm a phone slammer shouter. I think I've been mocked on here, but no less that is me.

5. I appreciate your good job there.I think it is great news for all. Thanks for your kind sharing and keep it on action in the future….

6. pmp pdus says:

Great Excellent site, keep up the good work my colleagues would love this. I read a lot of blogs on a daily basis and for the most part, people lack substance but, I just wanted to make a quick comment to say I’m glad I found your blog

Our Sites