On Monday night, New York Knicks power forward and fashion-world darling Amar’e Stoudemire made a mess of the visiting team’s locker room in Miami. Following the Knicks’ defeat, Stoudemire punched through the glass encasement of a fire extinguisher. His hand suffered lacerations and he left the arena with his arm in a sling. He issued a perfunctory apology via Twitter, but the damage was done: After hand surgery he missed game three of the series and remains doubtful for game four. The Knicks organization, thus far, has issued no suspensions or fines. Let’s say a regular corporate worker had acted in a similar fashion—and essentially attacked his or her office building in an emotional outburst. He or she would be fired on the spot, right? Well, not so fast…“Most companies have policies that deal specifically with violence,” says Patricia Mathews, founder of Workplace Solution Pros, a human resources consultancy. “First of all, the employee would be sent out for a drug and alcohol test.” If the employee wasn’t revealed to be under the influence and didn’t have a history of violent behavior, there’s still a chance he or she would keep his or her job, according to Mathews. [BusinessWeek]

1. Posted by S. Notgonnaworkhere | May 3, 2012 at 5:04 PM

So destroying a fax machine while blasting Ghetto Boys isn't a fireable offense?

2. Posted by Guest | May 3, 2012 at 5:26 PM

What's the policy on destroying the contents in a co-worker's water bottle?

3. Posted by PermaGuestII | May 3, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Ummm… I'm gonna have to go ahead and… disagree with you there.

4. Posted by CoveredLong | May 3, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Violent emotional outbursts are definitely a pretty lax policy, bro.

-George W. Huguely V

5. Posted by derp | May 3, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Correct. Not celebrating Michael Bolton's entire catalog on the other hand….

6. Posted by guest | May 3, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Bob: What would… you say… ya do here?

Tom: Well look, I already told you–I deal with the god damn customers so the engineers don't have to. I have people skills–I am good at dealing with people. Can't you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people?

7. Posted by Nevermind | May 3, 2012 at 11:00 PM

I'm a phone slammer shouter. I think I've been mocked on here, but no less that is me.

8. Posted by nosixth | May 3, 2012 at 11:10 PM

too late

9. Posted by fire extinguishers | June 5, 2013 at 5:41 AM

I appreciate your good job there.I think it is great news for all. Thanks for your kind sharing and keep it on action in the future….

10. Posted by pmp pdus | June 5, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Great Excellent site, keep up the good work my colleagues would love this. I read a lot of blogs on a daily basis and for the most part, people lack substance but, I just wanted to make a quick comment to say I’m glad I found your blog