• 25 May 2012 at 11:23 AM

Some People Were Selling Facebook On Friday

There’s this interesting article in the Journal today about how quickly and expensively short sellers managed to find shares of Facebook to borrow, including a graphic showing that like 150 million shares were shorted on Friday, at -10% to -40% rebates, which, what? Anyway you should read it; I for one was surprised that that much borrow came online so quickly and so share the Journal’s suspicion that some of the locates given by prime brokers were a little aggressive? Or something.

I’m less willing, though, to view the basic transaction the way the Journal does:

The role of the firms in enabling short sellers in Facebook’s stock shines a light on a long-standing Wall Street business that has the potential to create conflicts of interest. Even as one arm of a brokerage firm is getting paid to drum up interest in a stock, another part of the firm could be earning big profits by helping bet that the stock will fall in price.

“In general, Wall Street has conflicts of interest, and conflicts of interest are profitable,” said Daylian Cain, a Yale School of Management professor of business ethics. “It’s hard to navigate them when there are millions of dollars at stake.”

Two things are worth noting here. First of all, this is the sort of “conflict of interest” that comes inextricably from being a market intermediary: some of your clients want the one thing to happen, others want the other thing to happen, and the things are often – normally in secondary market trading – mutually exclusive. If your role is “to help your clients have the things they want to happen, happen,” then you have conflicts of interest up the wazoo, all the time, no matter what, because some of your clients don’t get to have the things that they want to happen, happen, exactly because your other clients want the opposite things to happen and they happen. The same is roughly true if your role is “to help the clients who want asset prices to increase, have asset prices increase,” so long as you also have clients who want asset prices to decrease; this is the version that gets the most attention.

But if your role is “to help your clients implement financial market positions that reflect their views of what will happen” then there are fewer conflicts. Someone wants to buy stock, you help them buy it. Someone wants to sell stock, you help them sell it. Someone wants to borrow stock and sell it short, you help them borrow it. If that’s your view then the “conflict of interest” would be, not providing market access to everyone, but refusing to lend short sellers otherwise borrowable stock because you have other, more important clients – IPO purchasers or issuers – who have a vested interest in having the stock go up and so you don’t want to facilitate shorting. On that view Morgan Stanley, which refused to lend shares in the early days, was the conflicted one – in fact, was practically a market manipulator, though it didn’t do much good:

But Morgan Stanley wouldn’t lend shares. The prime-brokerage sales staff cited long-standing practices at the firm prohibiting doing so when the bank is lead underwriter on an IPO, according to the people.

“Who do you think you’re protecting?” one hedge-fund manager said to a prime-brokerage manager as Facebook shares were falling. “We can get it everywhere else.”

Of course Morgan Stanley was a market manipulator on Friday, in the straightforward sense that it was buying lots of stock with the explicit goal of propping up Facebook’s stock price, though, again, didn’t do much good. But that – and the not lending – was fine. Securities offerings are a special case generally; regulators explicitly allow a certain amount of market manipulation – only up! – because it facilitates capital raising by companies. Which I guess is non-zero-sum and socially beneficial and whatnot, though maybe not for Facebook.

Second, though, looking for the conflict of interest at the banks/prime brokers is a bit misplaced. The conflict here is basically between people who are long stock and people who want to short it. The longs want it to go up, the shorts want it to go down. To implement those desires, the longs own the stock, and the shorts borrow the stock to sell it short. From whom do they borrow it? Well, sure, their prime brokers, whatever – but the prime brokers are just middlemen. Where do they get it from? In the case of a new IPO, or at least in the case of Facebook, they kind of get it from their imagination, but in general they get it from someone who owns the stock, and even in the IPO that’s sort of the in-expectations case. Where else could they possibly get it?

Two things to keep your eye on are (1) the guy who owns the stock doesn’t have to lend out the stock – many big investors don’t, and (2) the guy who owns the stock and lends it out is facilitating downward pressure on the stock. Presumably the guy who owns the stock wants it to go up, so why is he helping it go down?

The answer is mostly money: the borrower pays the prime broker to borrow the stock, and the prime broker passes some of that payment along to the lender, though of course they clip a bit of it and on expensive-to-borrow stocks that clipping business is, as the Journal suggests with respect to Facebook, pretty profitable.* Share lending is a market like any other, driven by supply and demand, and the clearing price for share lending is roughly the clearing price of a bet: the lender bets that the short sellers won’t reduce his price appreciation by more than the stock borrow fee, while the borrower bets that the stock will go down by more than the stock borrow fee. That betting market is, conceptually, no more problematic than any other betting market on the price of stocks – the stock market, for instance. Of course if there are long investors who for structural reasons can profit off the stock borrow fee but don’t much care if stock prices appreciate, then that market can be distorted – which suggests that those investors, not the prime broker middlemen, would be a good place to look for conflicts of interest.

Short Sellers Find Friends in Banks [WSJ]

* This oversimplifies but not in an essential way. It’s easier to think of the stock borrow market as primarily one where I lend you shares and you pay me the stock borrow fee, so that’s how I’m describing it. The reality is that I lend you shares and you give me cash as collateral and I pay you fed funds or whatever less that stock borrow fee. But now I have cash – in other words, share lending finances my position. If I’m a mutual fund this isn’t a big deal, but if I’m a hedge fund repoing my shares is a good way to finance them, which is a big part of why I do it – bigger than the couple of bps of borrow fee that I get on cheap-to-borrow stocks. But there’s no conceptual point there: if hedge funds don’t want to finance their shares by repoing them, they can equity finance them or whatever, it just costs more. So share lending saves them money. You could think of the “real” share lending fee to the lender as like (1) their otherwise cost of funding the position minus (2) the (possibly negative) net cost of repoing them, but still, it’s reducible to money.

1. Posted by .Bo | May 25, 2012 at 11:25 AM

It's pretty early for a Matt post. Summer Friday's starting at DB?

2. Posted by Jerry M | May 25, 2012 at 11:28 AM

You had me at “shorting Facebook”

3. Posted by iGuest | May 25, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Thank God I have a three day weekend to read this.

4. Posted by zerohedge | May 25, 2012 at 11:46 AM

SHORT EVERYTHING

5. Posted by guest | May 25, 2012 at 11:51 AM

I'm pretty sure that like its time to start the weekend!

6. Posted by rcd. | May 25, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Any long term investor can comfortably lend his stock to be shorted as he doesn’t care about the week to week variance in price. So, it’s not really against his own interests to lend it. In fact, if there are a relatively short number of shares outstanding it might make sense to lend ‘em out hoping that a proper squeeze occurs when the shorts cover.

7. Posted by VandelayCapital | May 25, 2012 at 12:05 PM

William R. Valentine
    Duke & Duke

8. Posted by HAM05 | May 25, 2012 at 12:14 PM

he's no longer at d&d, opened up his own shop

9. Posted by PermaGuestII | May 25, 2012 at 12:20 PM

But, William, we are *Commodities* brokers.

-Randolph

10. Posted by businessinsider | May 25, 2012 at 12:21 PM

that's what she said

11. Posted by derp | May 25, 2012 at 12:37 PM

You must read slow

12. Posted by gab | May 25, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Slowly

fellow Rutgers grad

13. Posted by Guest | May 25, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Only if you can get payment in physical delivery of gold.

14. Posted by The 1% | May 25, 2012 at 6:39 PM

HAHAHA….shorting rules! to hell with the 99% I want my fat profits

15. Posted by G. Soros | May 26, 2012 at 6:59 AM

You, sir, are a dick

G. Soros

16. Posted by Mark C | May 26, 2012 at 7:04 AM

Loving your site Hector. 1996-chic right?

17. Posted by Not names | May 26, 2012 at 9:41 PM

You don't think that was the real George Soros? Would you care to share with everyone why you are suspicious it might not be?

18. Posted by Toffe | May 28, 2012 at 3:01 PM

He had to leave a $10 tip after a $100bn dinner?

19. Posted by Toffe | May 28, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Matt, are you trying to teach market-making 101 here? The only point is that stock was lent that doesn't exist and that has gotta be more than a little dodgy. But hey, that what the Street is all about and proud of it.

20. Posted by anonymous trader | May 29, 2012 at 8:39 AM

I had borrows available on tuesday at 22.50 per thou

21. Posted by Ahab | May 29, 2012 at 4:19 PM

If JPM has whales, what does FB have?

22. Posted by Lorenzo Tailor | June 11, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Hello there, You’ve done a fantastic job. I will definitely digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I’m sure they will be benefited from this site.

23. Posted by san diego lion king tickets | August 27, 2012 at 4:47 AM

There is at present a single U.S. touring manufacturing. (At 1 time there had been 2 US touring productions travelling simultaneously). The tour edition is quite similar to the authentic Broadway manufacturing; nonetheless, certain scenic components which rise out of the stage ground (this kind of as Pride Rock, the stampede, and the grasslands) had been converted to much less pricey configurations for the touring productions. The sun through the opening is lowered in dimension for the shorter-lasting tours. Stage sizes are also more compact, and the dimension of the pit orchestra is decreased. Buy Lion King tickets

24. Posted by Anonymous | August 31, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Its a cool idea, but i’m not wearing a hat wit an elephant on it… they’ll match the jordans.

25. Posted by dressonuk.com | September 5, 2012 at 2:41 PM

It’s a nice post.

26. Posted by the website | September 5, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Isabel Marant, marjorie ally deranging sandbar adeste tetrameters irreformable costuming militarily furrowing pelves otherwise scarer levellers

27. Posted by Maxine Sigmund | September 17, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Time to refresh the wallpaper.

28. Posted by Chasity Alnoor | September 19, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Thanks so much! That is truly nice to hear!

29. Posted by SteamPro1 | September 20, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Awesome site, I am searching online to find the best deals on steam mops so I can do some reviews on my site. The shark steam mop is getting most of the votes as far as I can see. This site has some great info for me as well. Thanks…Chris

30. Posted by Kino hiszpańskie | September 24, 2012 at 6:54 AM

Just in relation to all of the things you mention is supprisingly correct and it makes me contemplate the reason why I had not looked by this with this ignite formerly. This piece truly did become the happy proceeding in support of me personally as further as this specific subject goes. Then again by this time here is actually one exact issue I am not in truth too cozy with and while I take a crack at to reconcile that with the main theme of the position, consent to me distinguish immediately what all the rest of the visitors have to point out.Well done.

31. Posted by gaining muscle without gaining fat | October 5, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Hello! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I could find a captcha plugin for my comment form? I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having difficulty finding one? Thanks a lot!

32. Posted by jordans shoe | October 5, 2012 at 5:00 AM

Thanks for sharing the comment,wonderful blog,pls read them carfully!