• 14 May 2012 at 5:02 PM

Swamped

Summertime, and the livin’ is easy. The NBA is through its first round of playoffs, there hasn’t been a college board of a hundred games in over two months, and football is so far away that HBO still has a casting call out for Hard Knocks. Baseball’s the main attraction, and baseball bettors are gentlemen and so old school the periodic table only has about 50 elements.

How did we get here? It was one of those darkest-before-the-dawn moments, that moment that feels like it’s darkest-before-it’s-totally-black. I strolled in on the last day of the NBA regular season, a Thursday, fashionably late. He asked me where the hell I had been.

The Washington Wizards are a bad basketball team. They were matched up against the Miami Heat, a very good basketball team. The Heat have LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, and that guy who Shaq said looks like Ru Paul. Except the market said the Heat didn’t give a flying fuck about that game, and the Wizards were 8-point favorites.

I asked him if maybe the Heat were the favorites. No, said Faithful Assistant, it was the Wizards. And our clients, all of whom fancy themselves smarter than the average bear, had bet $25K on the Wizards, -7.5, -8, -8.5, -9.5.

So dump it, I said. We can lay off 50K with one phone call, usually more. “I can’t. He’s got jury duty.”

What was this world coming to, bookmakers being summoned to sit on juries. So I told him to keep calling every half hour or so. In the meantime I’d handle any more Wizards bets myself.

They kept calling for the Wizards. Over and over and over again. The market was -8, and I was dealing it -10 and getting buckets of abuse. “-10? Get outta here. ESPN says they’re -8.” I quickly broke my clientele into two groups.

The clients I didn’t care about, I told them “OK, fine. Call up ESPN and give them your bet.” Some of them screamed. Several questioned my parentage. Most of them laid -10.

My better clients got better treatment. I explained how the book was hopelessly one-sided and my layoff guy was “in court”. (I let them imagine he was the guy in the orange jumpsuit, not somebody who would be leaving by the front door.) I took their bet at -10, but told them that if and when my guy came through, I’d call them back and give them the -8. They thanked me like I was doing them a favor. Great. The first people who weren’t angry all day.

The pros called too. One nibbled on the Heat +8 at even money, but the rest passed.

Court let out at 4:30. My guy didn’t make the jury: something about his wife’s job getting in the way. He took our bet for all we could eat at -7.5 and I started calling the clients back changing their -10 to not -8 but -7.5. People were thanking me as if I’d given them a kidney.

Faithful Assistant’s quick tally when the game tipped off saw him scream “We cannot lose!”

I pointed out that while we would indeed win money, that wasn’t the same as being invulnerable. For the sake of peace, love, and client happiness, we needed these lowly Wizards to win by a pile. Happy customers keep coming back, and there’d be no talk of conspiracies, fixed games off funny betting lines, and so on.

The Wizards rolled. Up by 25 at half, they cruised to a 34-point win. The Heat played their B team all night. (The Tepid?) No LeBron, no Wade, no Ru Paul, no problem. The clients were ecstatic. One of them even sent us flash-frozen steaks.

It’s actually helped us change the summer baseball operation. Now when people call up looking for a team at such-and-such a price, if we don’t have it and they’re willing to leave the order open, we take the order and call them back when we fill it. A good client now calls us his “betting con-au-pairs”. I think he means “concierges”, but I don’t speak French. Whatever. It’s working out.

1. Posted by Wotton | May 14, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Nice stuff as always but why would your colleague take a 50K bet like that? Is his volume so high that he can take a 50K hit either side whenever you need?

2. Posted by Arhtur Dunlop | May 14, 2012 at 4:42 PM

It's funny that I used to think that being a bookmaker might be an interesting job because at the very least there would be good stories.

3. Posted by guest | May 14, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Hockey playoffs?

4. Posted by Guest | May 14, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Bet you 20 bucks I can get you gambling by the end of the week?

5. Posted by NYRebel2003 | May 14, 2012 at 5:22 PM

This guy should replace Matt. Great read!

6. Posted by Fred | May 14, 2012 at 5:59 PM

So they got situationally lucky, but anyone betting the Wiz to win should have their fucking head examined.

–DC resident, angry Caps Fan

7. Posted by Zoroz | May 14, 2012 at 7:52 PM

I don't know about replacements but it is pretty cool. Considering that most people on DB would suck tranny cock for a weekend off (if in banking) or for a couple mil in AUM (on the buyside), this is almost glamorous.

8. Posted by guest | May 14, 2012 at 8:46 PM

People at DB work at real hedge funds. No one would give a shit if you offered them "a couple mil in AUM."

9. Posted by Guest | May 15, 2012 at 9:29 AM

stopped reading at NBA – who gives a f*ck?

10. Posted by Point guard | May 15, 2012 at 5:25 PM

People who have or had athletic abilities.

11. Posted by Wire | May 16, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Not all of us do. Some of us work at half-ass long onlys. There are a lot of things I might do for a few million more AUM.

12. Posted by hazelmae89 | November 14, 2012 at 3:47 AM

swamp? i just really don't know what to do and I guess everything will then be alright. Thanks a lot for at least showing it here. That's the best that I could to do too. how does an AC generator work

13. Posted by mens suit | November 16, 2012 at 3:07 AM

I don’t determine what to mention except that I’ve got appreciated reading. Pleasant site. I most certainly will keep traveling to this site usually. Thank you for posting. Keep on publishing similar to this.

14. Posted by russian dolls | November 16, 2012 at 3:08 AM

I have some great day reading your blog. I am so satisfied with your blog. Thanks!

15. Posted by daisy | November 19, 2012 at 1:48 AM

You really showed how talented you are in writing. but I don't know what is stamp mean? still appreciated the time and effort you exert here. thank you.

online classes english

16. Posted by karen | November 19, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Has excellent time management skills and had the ability to meet people interested about the subject. thank you for sharing.

PMP Certification Atlanta

17. Posted by amber pendants | November 19, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Your performance has been steady, in fact you have grown in the last few months. The growth path is definitely positive. Thanks!

18. Posted by varice montréal | November 22, 2012 at 8:34 AM

"I always show up late on summer Thursdays, and leave early. There’s little baseball, and little else. But Faithful Assistant pointed to a screen and said “I’m fucking buried on the Wizards game”."

yeah same here…

19. Posted by Gaming News | December 5, 2012 at 4:14 AM

How does it feel if we get swamped? I actually have no idea about this but this is just what I have always wanted to be done. This is just what I needed to be.

20. Posted by bestessay | December 25, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Company and such other company as of the date of this registration statement.

21. Posted by kimly | January 8, 2013 at 3:34 AM

This is a topic of my interest. I love reading through your blog, keep blogging.

PMP Certification San Jose

22. Posted by crishle | January 18, 2013 at 1:15 AM

I love browsing it till the end. thanks for sharing guys! Its pretty cool.

hauppauge real estate

23. Posted by pdu training | January 21, 2013 at 2:40 AM

Great blog. There's a lots good data in this blog, though I would like tell you something.

24. Posted by white dinner jacket | February 21, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Overwhelm with an excessive amount of something very useful ideas. Thank you.