News

Swamped

Summertime, and the livin’ is easy. The NBA is through its first round of playoffs, there hasn’t been a college board of a hundred games in over two months, and football is so far away that HBO still has a casting call out for Hard Knocks. Baseball’s the main attraction, and baseball bettors are gentlemen and so old school the periodic table only has about 50 elements.

How did we get here? It was one of those darkest-before-the-dawn moments, that moment that feels like it’s darkest-before-it’s-totally-black. I strolled in on the last day of the NBA regular season, a Thursday, fashionably late. He asked me where the hell I had been.

The Washington Wizards are a bad basketball team. They were matched up against the Miami Heat, a very good basketball team. The Heat have LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, and that guy who Shaq said looks like Ru Paul. Except the market said the Heat didn’t give a flying fuck about that game, and the Wizards were 8-point favorites.

I asked him if maybe the Heat were the favorites. No, said Faithful Assistant, it was the Wizards. And our clients, all of whom fancy themselves smarter than the average bear, had bet $25K on the Wizards, -7.5, -8, -8.5, -9.5.

So dump it, I said. We can lay off 50K with one phone call, usually more. “I can’t. He’s got jury duty.”

What was this world coming to, bookmakers being summoned to sit on juries. So I told him to keep calling every half hour or so. In the meantime I’d handle any more Wizards bets myself.

They kept calling for the Wizards. Over and over and over again. The market was -8, and I was dealing it -10 and getting buckets of abuse. “-10? Get outta here. ESPN says they’re -8.” I quickly broke my clientele into two groups.

The clients I didn’t care about, I told them “OK, fine. Call up ESPN and give them your bet.” Some of them screamed. Several questioned my parentage. Most of them laid -10.

My better clients got better treatment. I explained how the book was hopelessly one-sided and my layoff guy was “in court”. (I let them imagine he was the guy in the orange jumpsuit, not somebody who would be leaving by the front door.) I took their bet at -10, but told them that if and when my guy came through, I’d call them back and give them the -8. They thanked me like I was doing them a favor. Great. The first people who weren’t angry all day.

The pros called too. One nibbled on the Heat +8 at even money, but the rest passed.

Court let out at 4:30. My guy didn’t make the jury: something about his wife’s job getting in the way. He took our bet for all we could eat at -7.5 and I started calling the clients back changing their -10 to not -8 but -7.5. People were thanking me as if I’d given them a kidney.

Faithful Assistant’s quick tally when the game tipped off saw him scream “We cannot lose!”

I pointed out that while we would indeed win money, that wasn’t the same as being invulnerable. For the sake of peace, love, and client happiness, we needed these lowly Wizards to win by a pile. Happy customers keep coming back, and there’d be no talk of conspiracies, fixed games off funny betting lines, and so on.

The Wizards rolled. Up by 25 at half, they cruised to a 34-point win. The Heat played their B team all night. (The Tepid?) No LeBron, no Wade, no Ru Paul, no problem. The clients were ecstatic. One of them even sent us flash-frozen steaks.

It’s actually helped us change the summer baseball operation. Now when people call up looking for a team at such-and-such a price, if we don’t have it and they’re willing to leave the order open, we take the order and call them back when we fill it. A good client now calls us his “betting con-au-pairs”. I think he means “concierges”, but I don’t speak French. Whatever. It’s working out.

24 comments

24 Responses to “Swamped”

1. Wotton says:

Nice stuff as always but why would your colleague take a 50K bet like that? Is his volume so high that he can take a 50K hit either side whenever you need?

• mens suit says:

I don’t determine what to mention except that I’ve got appreciated reading. Pleasant site. I most certainly will keep traveling to this site usually. Thank you for posting. Keep on publishing similar to this.

2. Arhtur Dunlop says:

It's funny that I used to think that being a bookmaker might be an interesting job because at the very least there would be good stories.

3. guest says:

Hockey playoffs?

4. Guest says:

Bet you 20 bucks I can get you gambling by the end of the week?

5. NYRebel2003 says:

This guy should replace Matt. Great read!

• Zoroz says:

I don't know about replacements but it is pretty cool. Considering that most people on DB would suck tranny cock for a weekend off (if in banking) or for a couple mil in AUM (on the buyside), this is almost glamorous.

• guest says:

People at DB work at real hedge funds. No one would give a shit if you offered them "a couple mil in AUM."

• Wire says:

Not all of us do. Some of us work at half-ass long onlys. There are a lot of things I might do for a few million more AUM.

6. Fred says:

So they got situationally lucky, but anyone betting the Wiz to win should have their fucking head examined.

–DC resident, angry Caps Fan

7. Guest says:

stopped reading at NBA – who gives a f*ck?

8. hazelmae89 says:

swamp? i just really don't know what to do and I guess everything will then be alright. Thanks a lot for at least showing it here. That's the best that I could to do too. how does an AC generator work

9. daisy says:

You really showed how talented you are in writing. but I don't know what is stamp mean? still appreciated the time and effort you exert here. thank you.

online classes english

10. karen says:

Has excellent time management skills and had the ability to meet people interested about the subject. thank you for sharing.

PMP Certification Atlanta

11. Your performance has been steady, in fact you have grown in the last few months. The growth path is definitely positive. Thanks!

12. "I always show up late on summer Thursdays, and leave early. There’s little baseball, and little else. But Faithful Assistant pointed to a screen and said “I’m fucking buried on the Wizards game”."

yeah same here…

13. Gaming News says:

How does it feel if we get swamped? I actually have no idea about this but this is just what I have always wanted to be done. This is just what I needed to be.

14. bestessay says:

Company and such other company as of the date of this registration statement.

15. kimly says:

This is a topic of my interest. I love reading through your blog, keep blogging.

PMP Certification San Jose

16. crishle says:

I love browsing it till the end. thanks for sharing guys! Its pretty cool.

hauppauge real estate

17. pdu training says:

Great blog. There's a lots good data in this blog, though I would like tell you something.

18. Overwhelm with an excessive amount of something very useful ideas. Thank you.

Our Sites