Investors gave Bernie Madoff money because they trusted him. They gave Sam Israel money because they liked him—a gregarious, disarming goofball who, as a Wall Street apprentice, had invented an alter ego he called Captain Proton, a fearless superhero whose special powers were granted by vodka and cocaine. Now in his forties, he lived in a Westchester mansion, rented from Donald Trump for $22,000 a month, with an adjacent chapel in which he had built a replica of the Bayou trading floor alongside an 800-­gallon saltwater fish tank and a menagerie of rare reptiles. He’d also installed a high-end studio for jam sessions, where he’d play with the Allman Brothers’ drummer when the band was in town. He owned a fleet of Porsches and signed personal checks printed with the image of SpongeBob SquarePants…Once he’d welcomed his family home from a short trip standing in the driveway wearing cowboy boots, his wife’s bikini underwear, a lacrosse helmet, swim goggles, a life jacket, and a cape, then started screaming at his wife when she didn’t get the joke. [NYM, related]

1. Posted by el guesto | July 3, 2012 at 11:37 AM

I'd invest with that guy… where do I sign up?

2. Posted by guest | July 3, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Cocaine's a helluva drug.

3. Posted by A Family Guy | July 3, 2012 at 11:40 AM

She just doesn't get it.

4. Posted by NakedShort | July 3, 2012 at 11:44 AM

being a drunk, coked up weirdo is painless

5. Posted by ILoveLamp | July 3, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Gotta be one of the newish Allman Brothers drummers, maybe the Cuban guy who plays the congas and timbales. No way Butch Trucks gets within 10 miles of this douche.

6. Posted by guest | July 3, 2012 at 11:45 AM

I guess that is easier than being good at your job

7. Posted by dorriansgakquant | July 3, 2012 at 11:51 AM

so Sam Israel= diaper boy from the UES of the 90's?

8. Posted by Pietro_F | July 3, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Because the Allman Bros were well known for avoiding booze and drugs.

9. Posted by VonSloneker | July 3, 2012 at 12:15 PM

…and I can't raise $100MM to launch. Time to start wearing my boots, the wife's underwear and my old lax gear.

- Lucchese, La Perla & Brine LP

10. Posted by Im_a_Dude | July 3, 2012 at 12:26 PM

and women's bikini underwear

11. Posted by ILoveLamp | July 3, 2012 at 12:30 PM

That was a long time ago, back when this "gregarious, disarming goofball" was busy not getting picked for dodge-ball. What are you saying? Are you suggesting that Greg and crew are no longer clean and sober?

12. Posted by Jim Lebanon | July 3, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Never liked this guy much.

13. Posted by Guest | July 3, 2012 at 1:19 PM

He kinda looks like Captain Underpants… I think I know where he gets his material now.

14. Posted by sascha | July 3, 2012 at 1:32 PM

MKT WIZ?

15. Posted by Tanker2Banker | July 3, 2012 at 2:30 PM

"standing in the driveway wearing cowboy boots, his wife’s bikini underwear, a lacrosse helmet, swim goggles, a life jacket, and a cape"

Of course his wife didn't get it. Cowboy boots were SO last year…

16. Posted by guesti | July 3, 2012 at 3:01 PM

I have no concerns.

17. Posted by Guesticle | July 3, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Welcoming your family home wearing cowboy boots, your wife’s bikini underwear, a lacrosse helmet, swim goggles, a life jacket, and a cape is the NKI.

18. Posted by El Guesto | July 5, 2012 at 3:04 AM

Impostor!

19. Posted by guest | July 5, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Does anyone remember who was his first wall street mentor?Hint initials FJG former Lehman trader no longer with us.

20. Posted by Murat | August 25, 2012 at 10:31 AM

I use technology to keep me stighart. (What did you expect?) I currently have a Palm Treo smartphone. Any unusual stuff (and most of everything else) goes into either the calendar or the To Do list. I sync it with Entourage on my Mac daily, which is automatically backed up through Time Machine to a 1TB hard drive and Carbonite online.When I get home in the evenings, I go through the lists and make sure I take care of as much as I can.I check the lists every day, first thing after I do my Yoga.By doing these things, I keep my clients’ needs on my mind as I go about my day.

21. Posted by hcavzdyctv | August 26, 2012 at 8:54 AM

8YrWvx walcglsnnkiy

22. Posted by mwnwqcjuz | August 28, 2012 at 5:53 AM

Jd3nI7 , [url=http://plcvyodujlsk.com/]plcvyodujlsk[/url], [link=http://haaabookrnom.com/]haaabookrnom[/link], http://xluigtayothu.com/

23. Posted by www.spbhyw.com | September 6, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Hi! Do you use Twitter? I’d like to follow you if that would be ok. I’m definitely enjoying your blog and look forward to new updates.

24. Posted by copertine neonato | September 9, 2012 at 11:33 AM

I savor, cause I found just what I used to be having a look for. You have ended my 4 day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye

25. Posted by instant exchangers | October 1, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Thanks for these guidelines. One thing I also believe is credit cards giving a 0% apr often attract consumers with zero rate of interest, instant authorization and easy on the web balance transfers, but beware of the number one factor that will void your own 0% easy streets annual percentage rate and also throw one out into the bad house rapid.

26. Posted by oogjng | October 15, 2012 at 3:00 AM

TdtyE3 jvgdoguwrnjs, [url=http://rkdwprrrvzbp.com/]rkdwprrrvzbp[/url], [link=http://vlwpgppswryj.com/]vlwpgppswryj[/link], http://wjnzphebpkod.com/

27. Posted by mYpDdBriNpWL | October 16, 2012 at 2:06 PM