News

Some Lehman Brothers Alums Doing Demonstrably Better Than Others

Joe Gregory has been forced to put his Long Island-chic manse on the market. Dick Fuld’s been pounding the pavement for months with nothing to show for it.  Bella is still dead. Not a lot to celebrate and yet some people have managed to do pretty okay for themselves despite having spent time at 745 7th Avenue. Erin Callan, as you may have heard, is happily married to firefighter Anthony Montella and living in a $3.9 million house in the Hamptons and Evelyn Stevens, who actually worked at another firm before leaving Wall Street but should know that if you so much as set foot in the lobby of the building, you’ll be branded a Lehman Brother or Sister for life, just competed in her first Olympics and no longer counts herself among financial services employees who spend their days fantasizing about a life that doesn’t so closely resemble hell.

The 5-foot-5 (1.7-meter) Stevens said she’s using savings from banking bonuses to “cushion” the blow of lower earnings. She began her career as an investment-banking analyst at Lehman Brothers Inc., leaving in 2007 before the bank collapsed. “I was able to save a lot of my bonuses,” Stevens said. “I don’t have to survive on a $10,000 or $8,000 purse from cycling. If I hadn’t been in investment banking, I wouldn’t have been able to be at the Olympics.” She was 24th in yesterday’s Olympic women’s road race, finishing among a group including teammate Shelley Olds that was 27 seconds behind gold-medal winner Marianne Voss of the Netherlands. There were 66 riders at the start.

While there’s a “big discrepancy” from what she once earned, Stevens said her quality of life has improved. After leaving behind a 90-hour working week in banking, she lives in Girona, Spain during the European racing season and Boulder, Colorado. “In New York there’s pressure, and it’s kind of negative, everyone was stressed,” Stevens, dressed in U.S. team tracksuit and lycra three-quarter length pants at the London Olympic Park, said July 27. “I don’t get so much money now but my quality of living has gone up.”

Ex-Lehman Banker Parlays Bonuses Into Cycling Berth At Olympics [Bloomberg]

33 comments

33 Responses to “Some Lehman Brothers Alums Doing Demonstrably Better Than Others”

1. Guest says:

2. Guest says:

One time, at bicycle camp, I stuck a flute up my pussy.

3. Guest says:

Now this is an athlete:

4. Levine's Longing says:

Unfortunately the International Olympic Committee yet again this year refused to consider chart making or footnoting as olympic sports, maybe next time they'll finally see the light.

5. Guest says:

3 years of training and she makes it to the Olympics?

-Guy who questions how competitive some women's sports are

• Guest says:

I seem to remember some ESPN analyst saying something to the effect of "women's basketball is like men's basketball played in four feet of water" a while back.

Maybe I just wanted to hear that so badly that I made it real in my head.

Either way, what I'm saying is that you're spot on.

– Everyone

6. Jim Cramer says:

BOOYAH! SHE IS CUTE SKEE DADDY!

7. Guest says:

“In New York there’s pressure, and it’s kind of negative, everyone was stressed, . . . "

That strikes me as a rather effective description of the mood in Spain right now.

• gust says:

hard to be stressed when your government (soon to be Germany's government) pays for everything and you take a 3 hour nap every day

• PermaGuestII says:

>30% unemployment + rising political tension + strong regional antipathies + foreign meddling… I have a strong feeling of deja vue, can't think why.

-Generalissimo Francisco Franco

8. Jim Young says:

“I don’t get so much money now but my quality of living has gone up.”

They say money can't buy happiness? Look at the smile on my face. Ear to ear, baby.

9. investorcluzo says:

cycling cleats on, bike light shining into mirror (for effect), water bottle on night stand, curtains open.

10. Goggles says:

Banking cute

11. guest says:

bella still dead? how do you know? hard evidence?

what kind of reporting is that.

12. guest says:

Glad to see Evelyn has kept herself busy after "leaving" Wall Street…she's super sensy, the guns are weak, but I bet the wheels are tight after all the training

I have "left" desks many times over the years (with severance, usually t-bonus eligibility day-1), but continue to pursue my non-Olympic dreams with vigor, including, but not limited to:
    -getting obliterated starting no later than 4:01 pm (w/o such limitation on NYSE holidays and weekends)
    -frequenting pretentious dining establishments willing to stealthily rebate cash against the expensed tab
    -redistributing said cash to the most deserving gentlemen's club employees or other cash-only counterparties

Nobody voluntarily leaves Wall Street Evy…Wall Street just left you for someone better (i.e. some chick willing to do more stuff)

-Asshole that survives even though I think C++ is an STD and Matlab is a friendly dog breed

13. Guest says:

Leave Bella out of it. Let her RIP!

14. Anonymmmmmm says:

OK you guys call yourselves financial hacks, so you must know numbers right? If not, at least you have an iPhone, right? 5-foot-5 is not 1.7 meters. It's more like 1.65 meters. Or is this Wall street math we are talking about here?

15. Make sure you add me towards your event notification list.

16. Rusty Shackleford says:

i'd hit it.

17. Mr. McKnuckles says:

About three or four years ago, I was biking up the hill on River Road and feeling totally boss because I'm pretty fast on hills – then Evie just totally blew by me.

I felt like coyote being passed by roadrunner.

Our Sites