- 18 Jul 2012 at 2:13 PM
UBS Broker May Have Taken Stress Of The Job Out On 70 Windows In Beverly Hills, Encino Using “Slingshot Projectiles”By Bess Levin
The unlikely suspect in a string of window breakings in Beverly Hills — a 58-year-old Encino investment adviser — may be connected to 70 additional cases in the area, authorities said. Michael Steven Poret, a broker at UBS Financial Services, was arrested in Encino last week. Police say that Poret vandalized numerous businesses along Ventura Boulevard and several private homes in Beverly Hills. A witness account and private surveillance footage have depicted the vandal as a graying man in white gloves firing marbles at plate glass windows with a slingshot from the driver’s seat of his car, then driving away in no apparent hurry. Authorities believe that Poret could be connected to more than 20 vandalism incidents in Beverly Hills and more than 50 in Encino, as well as several other vandalism reports authorities have received in Van Nuys and Topanga Canyon.
The vandal appears to target businesses indiscriminately, hitting coffee shops, an autism treatment center and a salon. Luie Velasquez, a detective with the West Valley division of the Los Angeles Police Department, said the police’s top theory is that the suspect sought excitement. “Your guess is as good as mine,” Velasquez said. “For whatever reason, these individuals get some sort of thrill from smashing windows.” Poret was first arrested July 3 after a Beverly Hills patrol officer spotted a slingshot in his vehicle during a traffic stop for a vehicle code violation. A search of his vehicle revealed brass knuckles, knives and slingshot projectiles. Poret was arrested again Thursday in an early morning raid on his Encino home, where police discovered firearms, bb guns, slingshots and marbles similar to those used in the window-breakings.
A very understanding victim whose windows were hit three times and cost him $7,000 to repair had this to say: “I mean, I know that an investment bankers* are a little nuts. But you know, maybe the market is that bad. I don’t get that. He must be a very frustrated guy.”
*All together now: broker ≠ investment banker ≠ bank teller ≠ trader ≠ hedge fund general counsel ≠ person who works in HR at an investment bank.
- UBS Broker May Have Taken Stress Of The Job Out On 70 Windows In Beverly Hills, Encino Using "Slingshot Projectiles" July 18, 2012
- Opening Bell: 04.24.14 April 24, 2014
- Layoffs Watch '14: Barclays April 23, 2014
- Daivd Einhorn: Maybe It's Time To Asking Questions Like, "Why The F*ck Did A Startup Texting Service Sell For $19 Billion?" April 22, 2014
- $91,400 Bottle of Vinegar Actually Worth About As Much As Regular Bottle of Vinegar April 24, 2014
- If You're Fishing For A Compliment From Carl Icahn, Consider Getting Him Nice And Liquored Up First April 23, 2014
- Mohamed El-Erian's Departure Had Nothing To Do With Bill Gross's Habit Of Telling People To STFU With Just A Look April 23, 2014
- Juan Paulson Isn’t Giving Up On Puerto Rico April 24, 2014
- Goldman Sachs Exec Embroiled In Horse Shit Suit April 22, 2014
- You Can Bet 10 Shares Of HLF He Never Would've Responded To Mama Gasparino With That Mouth April 24, 2014
- Executive Editor
- Bess Levin
How Can We Help You?
- Send tips to:
- For tech issues email:
- For advertising or events email:
- For research or custom solutions email:
- Dealbreaker is published by Breaking Media.
For a full list of our sites, services and staff visit breakingmedia.com