Crispin Odey is the founder of Odey Asset Management, a sausage brand ambassador, and a guy who unwittingly made fellow hedge fund manager Philip Falcone’s life* a living hell when he pulled this stunt:

…Odey has upped the ante for poultry accommodation – he’s building a temple for his chickens for which the stone alone costs £130,000. The Palladian-style chicken house, designed by Christopher Smallwood Architects, has won planning approval from the Forest of Dean District Council, and will sit on the hillside above Eastbach Court, Odey’s Grade II-listed home. The temple’s roof – adorned with an Anthemia statuette – will be fashioned in grey zinc; the pediments, cornice, architrave and frieze are in English oak; and the columns, pilasters and rusticated stone plinth are being hewn from finest grey Forest of Dean sandstone. Naturally, the doors will be painted in the Odey Asset Management founder’s favourite Hague Blue – “to match the doors around Eastbach Court”, according to the plans…“The temple will be a lovely place when it is finished at the end of the year,” Odey said from a grouse moor. “The chickens will be grand.”

Nice for the chickens, but obviously this gesture makes Phil look like a deadbeat by comparison, as he merely allows his pet pig Wilbur to live in his apartment and has never even suggested getting her her own place. So thank you, Crispin, for rocking the already shaky home front. You can bet someone will be printing a copy of the article and placing it prominently on top of someone‘s morning paper, and god help that someone if he doesn’t get on the horn about building her the god damn Taj Mahal, ASAP.

(For those who can appreciate the news without worrying about what it’s going to cost them, here’s a blueprint of the chicken mansion, courtesy of FT Alphaville):

Crispin Odey’s chickens come home to (a luxury) roost [Telegraph via FT Alphaville]

*And the lives of all deep-pocketed animal owners thinking a bedroom and half-bath are gonna cut it.

49 Responses to “UK Hedge Fund Manager Sets Unreachably High Bar With Resplendent Private Residence For Chicken Friends”

1. Guest says:

mmmmm…mmmmmm.. This chicken is very Crispin !!!

2. Guest says:

i'm no lefty, but this truly is ridiculous. Certainly the £500,000+ this chicken coop is going to cost could go a long way to help a worthy cause. I don't begrudge the guy his wealth, but choosing a Palladian-style chicken house over just about anything else boggles the mind.

3. Richard Scarry says:

It was a busy day in Busytown.

Freddy Fox and Reddy Redtail watched intently as the Chicken Family's new mansion was being built.
    "Why does the Chicken Family get a new mansion when I have to live in a hole in the ground?" grumbled Freddy
    "Indeed, and I have to live in a nest of sticks in the old oak tree," agreed Reddy.

4. Bronx Tilapia says:

5. Mr. Obvious says:

That's a nice cluckin' house!

6. Barbaro says:

Chicken Malcontenta

7. chic-fil-a PR says:

Our firm does not condone this type of overtly flamboyant accommodation for chickens.

8. Lowly Assistant says:

£130,000 is a poultry sum and, personally, I think that it's a clucking shame that this guy…this down-trodden gizzard-throated pullet of a man…thinks that he's the cock of the walk just because he turned some starter feed into a clutch of golden eggs. I say send him to the broiler or place him in a coop far, far away from any chicks, with "Rooster" by Alice In Chains on repeat.

9. KFCrispin says:

Although poorly designed, the statue of the Colonel on the left of the entrance is a nice touch.

– D Novak

10. güest says:

Nice gas-pump-in-the-sky, bro

11. ih8edjfkjr says:

Zinc roof? It will be a broiler in the summer.

12. The Bard of plinth says:

Methinks two bodacious cornices and a delicatly cut and festooned architrave will cause all relevent pilasters to rise becomingly in the style of English oak. The freize and rusticated stone plinth are purely an S&M bonus.

To hew or not to hew

13. CoveredLong says:

"I told them that the form of a building must follow its function."

-Henry Cameron

14. pazzo83 says:

I can't believe I have to draw this fucking chicken here.

– Architect who drafted the blueprints

15. Silkie Orpington says:

"This reporter found Mr. Orpey carrying and moving various birds into their expensive new digs. When I asked Mr. Orpey, whose hands were filled with chickens, if he could produce the fantastic plans clutched under his arm, he replied, "Sure thing. Now if you'll just hold my cock and pullet here….."

16. Nucka says:

I can see some Hannibal Lecter shit going down inside this gesture of hospitality towards the chickens

17. Meat Stick says:

Was he afraid the Big Bad Wolf might try his luck with chickens?

18. Guest says:

Well I say! I say! Thats a might fine house!

– Foghorn Leghorn

19. Odey says:

Is that shia labeouf on the left?! Get away from my chickens!

20. Colonel Sherman says:

he's probably just trying to get laid

21. Guestest says:

It's one cool coop

22. StairMaster says:

Anyone else wondering how those chickens are going to climb up and down those stairs…

23. SwissHedge says:

This time next year its gonna be covered in bird poop…..

24. NYAC Bartender says:

The Talented Mr. Ripley 2 (2014 proj) IMDB: When Crispin Odey becomes eerily fascinated with Phil Falcone and Brian Moynihan, Crispin begins to emulate the hedge fund magnate and bank executive by buying black rimmed glasses and styling his hair like Conan O'Brien. The plot takes an unexpected turn when Odey whacks Jeff Gundlach in the face with a rowing oar.

25. Dick4aTick says:

Beth: You have to look at La Presse
    Use Google translate if you cannot read French. Ex-head of MUHC (Montreal super hospital project) skips the country.

26. Silver says:

Hello my family member! I want to say that this post is awesome, nice written
    and include almost all important infos. I’d like to look extra posts like this .

27. Hello, i think that i saw you visited my website so i came to “return the favor”.Im trying to find things to enhance my website!I suppose its ok to use a few of your ideas!!

28. Gustavo Kuca says:

I am with you Fred. I could not figure it out /I even now hope you experienced gotten the nomination again when.I’d have worked my butt off to have you within the White House. It guaranteed would have looked superior on you. Now, I just hope our dude wins.

29. Darwin Tim says:

Oh jeez! I can barely afford a fence material for my poultry farm and now I need to give a shelter to chickens more lavish than my own home? Get outta here!