News

Despite a jam-packed day with no time to comment to reporters, Jack Welch interrupted his schedule this afternoon to tell the Journal he “wasn’t kidding” about his Tweet this morning that the most recent jobs data had been gotten to. Again, because he is so busy, Welch did not have time to elaborate, but he wanted to make sure that was clear. He jokes a lot so he wasn’t sure if it was. [WSJ, earlier]

37 comments

37 Responses to “Jack Welch Briefly Emerges From Day Of Back To Back Meetings To Underscore His Seriousness Re: Cooked Jobs Data”

1. welchwood says:

@EmptyChair jobs numbers is cooked I tell you!

2. get real here says:

Cut the crap, 873,000 household jobs in one month, just in time to save obama?

• guest says:

I see Jack also has time to comment on Dealbreaker.

• Texashedge says:

Let's not pretend it isn't a really big and well-timed outlier. 500,000 of them are classified as "part time" as well…those are pretty easy to fudge.

I'm not saying there's motive, but there is certainly means and opportunity.

• PermaGuestII says:

Would they even need to be fudged? How many of those part-time are government as opposed to private-sector jobs? Hire a few thousand people to spend 5hrs/week on "voter education" or sweeping the steps of the Pentagon, and presto…

• guest says:

"I'm not saying they cooked the numbers, I'm just saying exactly that."

• guest says:

Does living in Fox News land, where everything can be spun to make things the way you want them to be, ever get exhausting?

• Texashedge says:

I usually get my news straight from Dennis Kneale and Dick Bove.

• Guest says:

As opposed to the honesty in government that's a hallmark of politicians from Illinois, and Chicago politicians in particular? We're talking about a state where the 2 prior governors – one Democrat and one Republican, as the crookery is bipartisan in Illinois – are both in federal prison after being convicted of political corruption. (Two of the five governors prior to them were also convicted.) In Chicago, 31 aldermen have been convicted of corruption over the past 40 years, which equals about 30% of those who served during the period.

President Obama and most of his campaign advisers came out of this political milleu, and I think they'd cook the job numbers without hesitating if they thought they could get away with it. My best guess – and fervent hope – is that the career BLS people kept that from happening, but it's a legitimate concern.

• guest says:

You're a legitimate dumb ass.

• Invité or Visiteur? says:

For future reference, it's "milieu."

Also for future reference, what you're saying is self evident.

Bonjour.

• Former GE Director says:

Well, Bess Levin's inbox is a god damn national treasure, so it's a pretty valid use of a guy like Jack's time.

• Deus ex machina says:

^^^^^haven't you ever heard of me? ^^^^^

3. realist says:

christmas season begins earlier each year, which would probably mean christmas hiring begins earlier, which would explain 500k+ part time jobs being created

• PermaGuestII says:

Which would make sense if it were showing in the September retail sales figures– but it isn't.

• Turbolove says:

I believe it, last year there was a spike in September as well. Maybe these "seasonally adjusted" numbers aren't adjusted correctly….

4. guest says:

Bah, humbug.

– J. Welch

5. Guest says:

Seems like if you were going to manipulate the numbers, you'd start earlier, and make them better.

6. displace worker says:

Jack should know the real job numbers seeing as how destroyed so many American Jobs during his time running GE

7. Louis Feinberg says:

Jack Welch is full of crap.

8. iluvbiasedpolitics says:

Jack should know about cooking books – that's what he did when he ran GE. The proverbial hit the fan after he bailed.

9. seo tutorial says:

Great article, totally what I wanted to find.
    seo tutorial

10. Guest says:

I'll have more faith in the BLS than to believe the books were fudged, but if anybody believed these numbers presented an accurate picture, the market wouldn't have been flat on the day it was announced 1.) the unemployment rate dipped to 7.8% and 2.) more jobs were created than in any given month going back to 1983.

11. Bbrockhead says:

Numbers reflect POTUS and FLOTUS personal staff hirings

12. Van Helsing, CFA says:

Time has shown that when retired CEO's keep popping up out of their box, there's only really one way to deal with the problem. Where's my hammer and stake?

13. Chris Snotty says:

As I've been saying for years all these so-called titans of finance are totally full of shit. Jack Welch, Warren Buffet, Donald Trump? All ass-clowns, always were, always will be.

14. DB Owner's Manual says:

As a courtesy, see if a commenter has already covered your topic.

15. Confucius says:

Man who look like cadaver and who not been fudged enough by second wife, must cut hole in stomach to see here he going with head up his ass.

Won Fu All

16. Marriage says:

It is not that I want to duplicate your site, but I actually like the style. Could you tell me which design are you using? Or was it custom produced?