The criminal case against a former Morgan Stanley executive charged with stabbing a cab driver following a fare dispute was dropped Monday after a Connecticut state’s attorney revealed that the driver never turned the knife over to police. The driver, Mohamed Ammar, “had the knife the whole time,” said supervisory assistant state’s attorney Steven Weiss. “He had ample opportunity to tell police and he didn’t do that.” [...] Weiss emphasized that Jennings didn’t immediately call police and described him as uncooperative. But he said Ammar couldn’t adequately explain why he never gave the knife to investigators, even after an interview and a search of his cab. “I simply can’t go forward when I have a witness who didn’t cooperate with police,” Weiss said of Ammar. Jennings attended the brief hearing and thanked his family and attorney. “Obviously it feels good,” he said outside court. [WSJ, earlier]

1. Posted by Sean | October 15, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Cutting cabbies and slashing FI employees…..thats what MS DOES!

2. Posted by wildebeest | October 15, 2012 at 1:16 PM

that's the face of a cabbie stabber happy to be able to stab cabbies again

3. Posted by Laxbro | October 15, 2012 at 1:19 PM

I wish I could stab the piece of shit cabbie who jacked my iPhone 5 on Saturday.

4. Posted by jennings | October 15, 2012 at 1:19 PM

mack the knife was always my role model..

5. Posted by Dateraider | October 15, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Pen knife>chance of payout from stabbing case

6. Posted by your cabbie | October 15, 2012 at 1:24 PM

meet me at minetta's. bring the charger cable and the box if you still have it so I know its you.

7. Posted by SellTheBorrow | October 15, 2012 at 1:26 PM

iPhone 5 falling out of your pocket in the back of a cab and being to drunk to realize it ≠ being jacked

8. Posted by guest | October 15, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Jennings was really cutting it close with the legal system.

9. Posted by Sean | October 15, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Like Bill Shakespeare always said, the Jennings is mightier than the sword.

10. Posted by pazzo83 | October 15, 2012 at 1:31 PM

The state attorney took a stab at formulating a case without the knife, but cut it short after further investigation.

11. Posted by guest | October 15, 2012 at 1:35 PM

No matter how they sliced and diced the facts, the prosecution just couldn't find a clear-cut way to proceed.

12. Posted by Guest | October 15, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Afterwards, Jennings said "I just want to thank The Lord Jesus for giving me the strength to get through this. Without him none of this would be possible. I am a blessed person. And thanks to my grandma who taught me how to be a man. And to my baby mama, for sticking with me through all of this. And also thanks to Morgan Stanley. You guys are the best. I promise never to stab anyone ever again. I will keep my head down do my best everyday. Peace everyone."

13. Posted by Guest | October 15, 2012 at 1:39 PM

If the knife you cannot place, you must drop the case.

14. Posted by shakespeare | October 15, 2012 at 1:49 PM

If like an ass is your face, you must know your place.

15. Posted by pazzo83 | October 15, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Jennings was arrested later Monday and charged with assault following a dispute in his cab from the courthouse. The dispute apparently stemmed from the cab driver's inability to accept credit card payments at that time.

16. Posted by Laxbro | October 15, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Noticed a light pocket IMMEDIATELY and told him to stop — which illustrates to a crooked cabbie that you left something of value in his car. I chased a bit, but I'm not in D1 lax shape at the moment — at best D2 walk on. He glanced back and sped off. He powered off my iPhone 5 in 30 seconds. Not his first rodeo.

17. Posted by Guest | October 15, 2012 at 1:58 PM

He's probably banging all the ho's in your contacts right now.

18. Posted by Vidalia Onion VP | October 15, 2012 at 1:58 PM

BREAKING: Area man learns cab drivers, other service industry employees do not accept RSUs as payment for services rendered, goes on pen-knife stabbing spree, pictures at 11.

19. Posted by Guest | October 15, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Well, this one looks like it went better than his last courtroom appearance, which was a monkey of a trial.

20. Posted by PermaGuestII | October 15, 2012 at 2:01 PM

He was a pretty sharp guy to cut his losses like that.

21. Posted by Laxbro | October 15, 2012 at 2:03 PM

He had already wiped my phone (and presumably sold it) on Sunday.

22. Posted by Gozer | October 15, 2012 at 2:03 PM

How are you going to get N'08's number now?

23. Posted by Laxbro | October 15, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Shitty tip will follow any cabbie who doesn't take credit. You want me to go out of my way to pay you in cash so you can avoid paying income tax? Fuck yourself

24. Posted by NowOnePerson | October 15, 2012 at 2:11 PM

You know those numbers/letters on top of the cab that light up? You know those are unique to each cab? And they can be used to find things that you leave in cabs?

What's my point? I'm glad you lost your phone, shitnik.

25. Posted by guest | October 15, 2012 at 2:12 PM

"iPhone 5 falling out of your pocket in the back of a cab and being to drunk to realize it"

Asked everyone from my department and we all agree it's larceny.

-USB Legal Team

26. Posted by Laxbro | October 15, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Come clean and give up a new $500+ phone or say my next passengers must have picked it up. Decisions, decisions..

-Cab driver's conscience

27. Posted by Medallion | October 15, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Have you ever tried to call the TLC with a cab number to get something back you left in a cab? No, you have not. FYI – it's a neat idea, but doesn't actually work in real life.

28. Posted by Guest | October 15, 2012 at 2:36 PM

I'm trying to figure out if all the upvotes here are sympathy for Laxbro or respect for the cabbie.

29. Posted by Snaxbro | October 15, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Did you get the medallion number or plates?

30. Posted by Hey19 | October 15, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Its worked for me. And I have heard many stories about it working. Tip them 40USD as is customary, and everyone is happy.

31. Posted by Ray Lewis | October 15, 2012 at 3:04 PM

WBJ, you have some potential. Props.

32. Posted by PermaGuestII | October 15, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Depends on the driver. Once left a briefcase in the back of a cab (hammered after a dinner)– cabbie found my business cards in it and dropped it off at the bank's security desk.

33. Posted by BareBackBro | October 15, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Sweet, sweet success.

34. Posted by johnniec | October 15, 2012 at 3:15 PM

If the knife don't fit, you must acquit!

35. Posted by DontFeelBad4U | October 15, 2012 at 3:27 PM

He probably tried using iphone 5 maps to get to his next fare, ended up in Newark and got stabbed. Give an immigrant a break.

36. Posted by Breaking News | October 15, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Cabbie storms back from 120 points down to beat N'08 in Words With Friends

37. Posted by Jay | October 15, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Not to be overly blunt, but the prosecution could have carved out a case of undue aggression, instead of relying on someone who couldn't stick. Also not sure why they didn't play the race card. Haha, j slash k.

38. Posted by Guest | October 15, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Sympathy for the cabbie.

39. Posted by Guest | October 15, 2012 at 6:20 PM

They also have to pay something like 12% to the card company as well.

40. Posted by Mick J. | October 15, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Great tune.

41. Posted by Rae Carruth | October 15, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Don't sell yourself short, Ray – you've got a lot of potential yourself.

42. Posted by no way it's 12% | October 16, 2012 at 12:43 PM

That sounds a bit high. I'd believe 2-3%, maybe 4% max. But I always leave them extra when using a card. It's usually my corporate card anyway…

43. Posted by guest | October 16, 2012 at 12:45 PM

If the joke's already been tried
    you'd best just step aside
    bitch.