- 03 Oct 2012 at 1:43 PM
Several years back, in response to the news that Ben Bernanke would be reappointed Fed Chairman, Nassim Nicholas Taleb made an announcement that he would be retreating from society. “What I am seeing…is too much for me to bear,” Taleb wrote. “I am not blaming Bernanke (he doesn’t even know he doesn’t understand how things work); it is the Senators appointing him who are totally irresponsible…I need to withdraw as immediately as possible into the Platonic quiet of my library, work on my next book, find solace in science and philosophy, and mull the next step…I will only (briefly) emerge from my hiatus when the publishers force me to do so upon the publication of the paperback edition of The Black Swan. Bye, Nassim.” NNT reintroduced himself to the world at some point in 2010 or 2011 but now, apparently, he has once again decided to pick up his black swans and leave, as people getting in touch with him to star in their movie, blurb their book, or pick his large and intimidating brain recently learned.
(Please ignore this message if you are a personal friend or engaged in an ongoing
I am currently disengaged from the rest of the world (until November 2012).
I had to stop replying to emails outside of the strictly personal (friends, family, citizens of Amioun, etc.), except for extremely important/urgent matters.
Please note that, except for emergencies & appointments, I reply to mails with an equivalent frequency to that of classical letters.
(REQUESTS: Also note that 1) I no longer do media interviews (except those scheduled by publishers), 2) can no longer endorse books, 3) do not participate in documentary films, 4) will not give lectures in Asia, Australia, and other places entailing severe jetlag, etc.)
I apologize for the inconvenience.
- Nassim Taleb Is On His Second Round Of Self-Imposed Quiet Time October 3, 2012
- Convicted Insider Trading Asks Judge To Delay Sentencing So He Can Enjoy The Pageantry Of B-School Graduation April 17, 2014
- Balyasny Asset Management Analyst Needs A Couple of Days Off In August April 17, 2014
- Marissa Mayer Wasn’t Crazy Enough To Give Former COO A $64 Million Severance Package For 15 Months of Work April 17, 2014
- Goldman Sachs Suggests NYTimes Sleep With One Eye Open April 16, 2014
- Banker Who Used TARP Funds To Buy Florida Condo Isn't Allowed To Be A Banker Anymore April 17, 2014
- Layoffs Watch '14: Credit Suisse April 17, 2014
- Beacon Hill Driver Lets His Vanity Plate Talk For Him April 17, 2014
- Who Wants To Buy A Las Vegas Resort? April 16, 2014
- Rajat Gupta Has Checked His Calendar And June 17 Works For Him To Report To Prison April 17, 2014
- Executive Editor
- Bess Levin
How Can We Help You?
- Send tips to:
- For tech issues email:
- For advertising or events email:
- For research or custom solutions email:
- Dealbreaker is published by Breaking Media.
For a full list of our sites, services and staff visit breakingmedia.com