News

Vikram Pandit And Citigroup Not Yet On Same Page Re: Who Dumped Whom

Point: “This was decided yesterday afternoon. I made the decision. I talked to [Citigroup Chairman] Mr. O’Neill. I don’t believe in having lame-duck sessions, in having the outgoing CEO looking over the shoulder of the incoming CEO.” Counterpoint: “Citigroup directors ousted Chief Executive Officer Vikram Pandit after concluding that he had mismanaged operations, leading to setbacks with regulators and a loss of credibility with investors, a person with knowledge of the discussions said.”

50 comments

50 Responses to “Vikram Pandit And Citigroup Not Yet On Same Page Re: Who Dumped Whom”

1. Guest says:

I'm not sure Vikram understands the premise of a lame-duck session other than to imply that he will be intentionally unhelpful

2. 2_Small_2_Bail says:

Fire the CEO and fire the guy who decided to pay him a $1 salary.

-You get what you pay for Quant

3. Sean says:

O'Neil: Who's gonna want you now?
    Pandit: [Looking at her letter] Somebody.
    O'Neil: Somebody? More like… nobody!
    Pandit: Gosh, Mike. You really got me.

4. blackmail says:

somebody's got shit on this guy.. i mean other than.. u know

5. Point Counterpoint says:

John Fitzsimmons: Well Sheila, I guess even you and your liberal cronies have found the light at the end of the tunnel of love with our beloved president. The intellectuals have been much agitated and now, having gotten the presidency by exploiting the problems they themselves have manufactured, he has done his best to fuel their anxieties about him. Sheila, will you and your pack of bleeding heart liberals never learn that expanding welfare roles only accelerate inflation and inevitably hurt most those they purport to help?

Sheila Hamilton: Why John, you old stick in the mud. I've been listening to that horse shit of yours for months, and you can take that crap and blow it out your ass. And for good measure, sit on THIS, John.

6. pazzo83 says:

They really need to get their stories straight.

– U.S. State Department

7. VonSloneker says:

No really, the breakup was totally mutual

– Pandito

8. guest says:

Recruiting from within the shithole to replace the guy running the shithole and expecting anything more than a massive shithole?

-Citi shit cycle quant waiting patiently for my turn as CEO

9. Sean says:

I can not wait to see Vikram outside of Citi headquarters with a trenchcoat on, boombox raised above his head blaring "In Your Eyes"

10. Guest says:

He will join Meru with Guru

11. The Sword says:

I told you idiots in the earlier thread that Vickie totally sucks. Now even the Board of Citi is telling you. All of you who gave me a thumbs down…..go kill yourselves you worthless sacks of shit!!!

• guest says:

Are you having some personal problems?

• Matt L. says:

Might be having, like, a stroke or a seizure too? Working on a chart now of possible causes of grand mal seizures and their likelihood of being behind this.

• The Sword says:

Yeah, yeah yeah….admit it…You knuckleheads on Wall Street screwed it up again. Well done….Keep batting 1.000!!!!

• EQ in Dallas says:

My only real beef with Zucotti Park, besides a lot of people standing around doing abso-fucking-lutely nothing for society, is that there are really no good bathroom's to do coke in…

• guest says:

Hey man, leave some exclamation marks for the rest of us

12. guest says:

When I realized Citi was alot like India, I GTFO of there

-Vik

13. Guest says:

It's not you, it's me. I still love you, I'm just not in love with you.

14. broseph says:

Joke is on Citi. He's still got the hundreds of millions they paid for his stupid hedge fund.

• me2 says:

gotta love how they (he and his buddy johnny) pulled that off with old lane

• guest says:

dollar for dollar one of the worst deals in finance. everyone associated with the acquisition (on the buyside) should never be entrusted with another dollar of shareholder money ever again, anywhere.

15. Sassy Guest says:

Vik's a strong, independent brown executive who need no firm.

16. VPundit says:

Did someone say second-term Treasury Secretary??

– V

17. Dealbreaker HR says:

Clearly he's leaving because the board wasn't okay with him taking a side gig as a Dealbreaker columnist writing about topics including working private equity, hedge funds, b-school, stripping one’s way through b-school, all for $1 a year! Even though there was the "anonymous/pseudonymous columns" options Vik wouldn't have any of that and would have nothing to do with a firm that that wouldn't look favorably on a part-time writing career. Accordingly, Vik has said he's eagerly looking forward to starting next Monday as Matt's analyst on this week's installment of Boring* Friday Legal Stuff.

*Much more boring for him especially now that he's not in charge of the company being sued, likely?

18. Malt Lovine says:

$1 a year! No wonder he's leaving Citi and taking over the family cab business!

19. guest says:

You're great, Citi. I just really need to focus on my career at this point in life.

– Vikram

20. The Goldman Muppet says:

Now the flood gates are open! Who else is coming with me!

– Agent Smith

21. Mitt R. says:

I'll probably be available in November if the position is still open

22. tom says:

Now he can pursue his true passion to work for the finest label in men's fashion: Bonobos

23. Christopher says:

Sort of like Don Draper swearing off doing ads for tobacco companies after none of the tobacco companies wanted him anymore. __But seriously folks, so far I've heard three theories about what's going on. __1) The board was ticked off about the Morgan Stanley/Smith Barney write-down 2) Personal malice on part of chairman of board 3) persistent flat stock price since the bottoming out in 2009, combined with Fed's unwilingness to allow resumption of dividends.

All of the above? None of the above?

24. Aging Fat Guy says:

Why I left Citi

All my life, from the time when I competed in the all-Indian ping-pong Olympiad, to the time when I learned to tie my shoes as an intern at Morgan Stanley, to the time when I ran Old Lane — I was always proud to be doing something worthwhile, something that created value for the clients, something that I could be proud of in my retirement when I tell my grandkids that I worked on Wall Street.

But since they forced me to dilute my concentrated investment management acumen in the swamp that is Citi, and later forced me to perform unimaginable acts of client muppetry for only $1/year, I started to feel that this is no longer the place for me. __That feeling, initially more like a warm sensation you might get in your groin when accidentally peeing yourself during the board meeting, gradually turned into hot flashes that are not supposed to have come so early, and finally, just this past Monday, into a burning sensation usually associated with acute case of hemorrhoids. To be honest, it became too much to bear.

And so, it is with a sudden relief not dissimilar to what you get when the laxative finally works after a week-long constipation I was able to write my resignation letter this morning. I just hope that this op-ed will be published by Dealbreaker, and maybe, just maybe, a sympathetic book editor will find me while it all is still fresh in my mind.

VP, MD, CFA

25. Chick is my boss says:

Could be worst.

– Dealbreaker Editor

26. someone says:

test

27. What? says:

The fuck up with the comment section?

28. Former DB IT Hamster says:

New / original comments format is horrendous.

29. Dick Bove says:

Nope it's me

30. B Iteme says:

They have replaced him with a man who has CTE.

31. guest says:

And 7-11 is better than 2-20 if you're under your high-water mark.

~Convenience store/hedge fund fee analysis quant.