News

Who Is Doing What To Whom On Carl Icahn’s Netflix Trades?

If I were the sort of guy who could come in to a company, yell at them a bunch, and get them to sell themselves to someone else at a premium, I would:

• do that often!, and
  • buy lots of call options on the stock before doing it.

Right? If I bought the call options for, I dunno, $23 an option, and they had a strike price of $36 per option, let’s say, and I bought 5 million of them, and the company eventually sold itself for like $80, then I’d be stumping up like $115 million initially and getting back $220 million for a profit of $105 million, or ~91% of my original investment, and that would be sweet. If instead I boringly bought shares at, say, $59 per share, and it eventually sold for $80, then I’d be putting down ~$295 million to get back ~$400mm for only a ~36% profit. More importantly if somehow I failed to convince this company to sell itself, or even worse if I failed to convince others to buy it, the stock might go lower – maybe really low. If the stock went to $20, I’d lose my entire $115mm option premium, but that’s better than losing $195mm if I’d gone and bought the stock.

In other words, putting a company into play increases its volatility. Options gain value with volatility. Buying an option and then making it more valuable through your own actions – going out and making volatility happen – is a good strategy. So good it’s basically magic.

So good it’s impossible! Because: what kind of idiot would sell you that option?

Let’s ask Carl Icahn. Today he announced a just-under-10% position in Netflix this afternoon. The stock closed up ~14% (after being up ~21% earlier) on the news. And as it happens, Icahn’s Netflix position was almost entirely in the form of call options, so he just made a bajillionty dollars on paper.

Here is what Icahn says about those arrangements:1

Call Options

The Reporting Persons purchased, in the over the counter market, American-style call options referencing an aggregate of 4,291,066 Shares, which expire on September 4, 2014. The agreements provide for physical settlement (unless the Reporting Person opts for a cash settlement). These agreements do not give the Reporting Persons direct or indirect voting, investment or dispositive control over the Shares to which these agreements relate. These agreements are further described in Item 5(c).

Put Options

The Reporting Persons have sold, in the over the counter market, European-style put options referencing an aggregate of 4,291,066 Shares, which expire on the earlier of September 4, 2014 or the date on which the corresponding American-style call option described above in this Item 6 is exercised. The agreements provide that they settle in cash. These agreements do not give the Reporting Persons direct or indirect voting, investment or dispositive control over the Shares to which these agreements relate.

The strike price of all of the call options is $36.05, and they were purchased for premiums ranging from $18.94 to $24.78. A plurality were bought for $23.13 on October 24, 2012, when the volume-weighted average price per share of NFLX was $59.18.2 The put strike and purchase prices were not disclosed.

Here are two simple warm-up questions:

• What is the strike price of the puts?
  • How much did Icahn get paid for the puts?

Here are the answers:

• The strikes are $36.05.
  • He got paid zero dollars for the puts.

The first is easy. If I sell Carl Icahn a call option on Netflix stock at $36.05, then I am short NFLX volatility to Carl Icahn: the call option’s value goes up as the stock gets more volatile. But, remember, he can make the stock more volatile. He just did. So: if I am not an idiot, I will not sell volatility to Carl Icahn. Therefore, I will never sell him a call option, unless I got a completely offsetting put option. If I sell Icahn a call struck at $36.05, and buy from him a put struck at $36.05, then by the magic of put-call parity I have just sold him the stock forward at $36.05. If the stock ends up at $100, he buys the stock at $36.05. If it ends up at $1, he buys it at $36.05.3 I don’t care what the stock’s price does, I don’t care what its volatility does, and I don’t care what Carl Icahn does. He’s buying the stock from me at $36.05, and since I am a dealer I have hedged by buying the stock already. At say $59.18. So as long as he pays me at least $23.13 for the two options combined, I am indifferent to what happens.

The second question is slightly harder. But take October 24, when Icahn paid $23.13 per share for $36.05-strike options on a stock worth $59.18. Bloomberg will tell you that that option is worth around $28.92, so he underpaid by $5.79 per share.4 Arithmetic, however, which is often more useful, will tell you that $59.18 (the price of the stock that day) minus $36.05 (the strike of the option) = $23.13, which is the minimum price that the dealer could charge for the call option assuming that no money changed hands on the put option. So Icahn paid the very minimum price he could have been charged for the call, meaning that the dealer who “bought” the put options from him almost certainly paid zero dollars for them.5

So like I said those were warm-ups; the real question is: why do this? Why not just buy stock? The answer that I started with – leverage! volatility! – is plainly nonsense: you can’t rely on any explanation that assumes a customer, even a savvy customer like Icahn, is systematically and predictably taking advantage of a derivatives dealer.6 Selling naked call options to a corporate raider is awesomely dumb – Icahn can ruin you with one press release! – so nobody would do it. All that Icahn’s done is buy the stock forward.

So why buy it forward? The answer is super boring, I think. It seems likely that Icahn works this way to avoid HSR filings: the antitrust laws require you to file forms, pay fees, alert the company, and maybe get public disclosure if you’re going to buy more than $68.2 million of Netflix stock. That sucks; it costs time and money and alerts the company when you’ve bought only $60ish million, rather than $300ish million, of their stock. If you want to buy cheap and profit from your press release, rather than buy expensively after the stock has already priced in your interest, avoiding HSR is economically important. And buying via options lets you do so.7 [Update: a reader points out that, if you multiply Icahn’s 1.25mm physical shares by the $54.74 purchase price listed for the last of them, you get ~$68.4mm, or right up against the HSR threshold, further evidence that Icahn’s tactics are driven by HSR. He also points out that Whitney Tilson takes the contrary “very bullish, leveraged bet” view.]

So there’s your boring answer: Icahn didn’t get long Netflix to take advantage of his dealer’s stupidity, but to take advantage of his dealer’s HSR exemption. Now, here are some extra-credit questions. Theoretically the put + call are delta one, so the dealer should hedge by buying 100% of the underlying stock, or ~4.3 million shares. So:

• If you were doing this trade with Carl Icahn, would you initially “hedge” by buying, say, 110% of the underlying stock, and then sell down after he files his 13-D and announces his position?
  • Would overhedging like that constitute insider trading? Why or why not?
  • Did his dealer do that here?

If the dealer(s) had done that, and sold at today’s closing price, they made ~$4 million today, or ~$8 million total if they put on the trade at ~$59 a week ago. You don’t want to be against Carl Icahn when he’s stirring up volatility at a company – but you might want to go along with him.

Icahn Takes Stake and Netflix Shares Surge [DealBook]
Icahn Netflix Schedule 13-D [Edgar]

1. Incidentally this is not new news for Icahn; he’s used the same approach before including with CVR Energy. Nor is it unique to him; some flavor of this delta-one-derivative approach – puts-plus-calls, zero-strike calls, swaps, forwards, etc. – is a common activist tool.

2. Lookit:

3. If it ends up at $36.05, there is a trivial lacuna. Probably: he does not buy the stock at $36.05? But, again, trivial, because the stock trades at $36.05, so I can get out of it at that price. I assume away averaging etc. etc.

4. Lookit, but don’t take this too seriously; Bloomberg’s vol surface is just one robot’s opinion:

5. In fact the dealer must have beaten VWAP by a few cents and/or charged him a fee elsewhere, because this trade – facilitating a ~10% stake by a corporate raider by buying 5mm shares of stock – is not going to be free. Also, if I were his accountant, or his dealer’s accountant, I might have issues with him underpaying for the call and getting paid zero for the put, instead of pricing each leg at fair value? But on the other hand if I were his securities lawyer I would have issues with him listing the full-price premium for the call, without listing the offsetting put premium, because it might make it look like he’d invested more in NFLX than he did? Discuss.

6. THOUGH.

7. The dealer is buying the stock delta one to hedge, but the dealer is exempt from HSR because it has no control intent, is a dealer, etc. Also: buying via options does get you financing; you only have to post the net premium for the options plus maybe some formulaic margin on the puts you are short. Presumably the margining is better on the options than it would be on an equivalent explicit forward contract, which is why this is put + call rather than an explicit forward, though I don’t really know what the margin rules are here in part because we don’t know what the counterparty bank is and in part because I am pretty ignorant on margin rules.

62 comments

62 Responses to “Who Is Doing What To Whom On Carl Icahn’s Netflix Trades?”

1. jpe says:

It's almost embarrassing how much I enjoyed that post.

2. guest says:

can you do a summary at the end that explains the concepts here much more simply so non-finance ppl can understand?

3. ADD247 says:

my pee pee is standing at attention in high salute of this article!
    -Guy in the next urinal

4. DingALing says:

Interesting…

J. Paulson

5. Guest says:

carl icahn's ability to generate a directional move is no less powerful than his ability to effect long-term implied volatility. just as stupid to sell him deltas as vega.

6. Avid Reader says:

Great stuff, Matt!

7. Other qustions too says:

" So as long as he pays me at least $23.13 for the two options combined, I am indifferent to what happens. "

Except that is alot of capital to have locked up for a year for no excess premium which I am sure you realize, moreover capital requirements accrue and are finite for pimping out your exemption in this manner. so the proverbial obv opportunity cost, but that is usually bs

So perhaps the bump on the extra shares you speculate on covers this extra juice, friction of commerce, locked in period if you are exactly correct on the premium, otherwise its nothing done sir from the dealer perspective surely.

( I just read footnote 5 , but I think it would help if you mention this in the body of the writing. Up to you obviously )

8. bro says:

when are you going to answer the extra credit questions?…

no, seriously, is it or is it not insider trading to follow along on icahn's bet

9. G-2 says:

1) What sorts of fees would a bank earn from leading or participating in the sale process of NFLX, if that were to materialize down the road? Would that future pay-off exceed the short-term "over-hedging" strategy? Basically, what if a banker pitched Icahn because he knew of likely buyers who don't want to go hostile on NFLX and Reed Hastings unless a third-party like Icahn happened to put NFLX in play. And so the banker helped him build a position that worked around HSR and provided cheap financing to make it happen.
    2) I was confused about the options pricing for these NFLX calls and puts–I don't know how reliable a standard Black-Scholes model is at pricing an option 23 months forward for 09/2014 expiry. Various combos of assumptions may have lead it to being fairly priced when he bought it.
    3) HSR addresses Icahn's incentive to use derivatives to quickly and quietly build a sizable position. However, he also chooses to remain below the 10% ownership limit imposed by the short-swing rule. This allows him to trade around his position and keep short-term profits. So theoretically, he could partially monetize the economic goodwill created by the market when it learns of his stake and the stock price pops. Interestingly, what if he sold the 2-3% shares outstanding he held at the time of announcement and how would that improve his IRR and reduce the cost basis of his trade?
    4) However, I'd argue that the same trade would be insider trading for the bank b/c the nature of their relationship with him causes them to be privy to material information. Haven't entirely looked into the counter-arguments and would be curious to hear out someone more knowledgeable and experienced in these things.
    5) Academics like Marcel Kahan, Edward Rock, Henry Hu and Bernard Black have touched on some of these issues on derivatives and activists (in the abstract sense and not the particular to Icahn) in their legal research and that may be of interest to you, Matt.

10. mehzib says:

Bit i discovered this selective incredible rushessay website allocate arduous to occur transverse anything in contact beside network 2 . 0. Soles diploma is typically bleak, nonetheless is fairly well written. My confidential i apologize this wealth foreclosures of the complete partner

11. iwan says:

no comment :-(

12. sufi says:

So there’s your monotonous respond: Icahn Affordable Web Design didn’t have lengthy Netflix to select start of hellos vendor’s stupidity, nevertheless to derive edge of hellos monger’s HSR freedom.

13. tanay says:

I authorize been sooner looking at with regard Dermal Fillers to however a new in contrast to with regard to distinct satisfying compositions or weblog sprinters within the disagreement of this issue person. Examining absent in Untamed besides the search engines I in addition found this web site inform.

14. just says:

Appreciate it regarding an additional fantastic proactive it support distribute. With which additionally may possibly virtually any human body obtain which usually layout associated with data.

15. yunus says:

So Icahn paid the quite minimal worth he could car accident solicitors liverpool get been excited for the elect, point that the operator who “bought” the put choices from him approximately indeed paid aught dollars for them.

16. sahjil says:

That sucks; it expenses era furthermore finances further vigilants the corporation during you’ve ordered merely $60ish million, somewhat than $300ish million, portraits from photos of their cattle. If you miss to shop affordable plus benefit from your wring freedom, somewhat than purchase expensively behind the blood has once priced in your benefit, avoiding HSR is economically significant. Besides buying through selections causes you do so.

17. sbain says:

In serve run-ins, putting a company into discharge enlarges its volatility. Becomings take treasure with volatility. Buying an appanage and consequently Silk roses making it more precious finished your assent hysterias – going distant bys making volatility occur – is a deserving computer. So decorous it’s basically witchcraft.

18. emeran says:

Also, if I were hellos clerk, or hellos distributor’s clerk, I potency possess childs accompanying him underpaying for the appeal further getting paid naught for the put, rather of pricing apiece shank at lovely cherish? Only on the additional employee if I ecommerce website design were hellos securities counsel I would permit publications accompanying him listing the sonorous-cost superior for the designate, minus listing the offsetting put prize, since it potency force it ogle uniform he’d invested else in NFLX than he did? Confer.

19. sheela says:

The treatys provide that they assure in chief. tadelakt london These agreements do just give the Reporting Units apply or devious voting, hazard or dispositive auxiliary beyond the Multiples to which these agreements describe.

20. raza says:

All of us deliberate exceptional satisfaction internal Strap Ons facilitate of our returning buyers. This is a reverent reports of climax rank of our exercise. Our personalized stipulate fiats normally are designed at a the inaugurate similarly consequently are screened encourage plagiarism.

21. maha says:

Though it materializes a coarse plus bucolic task just we live to deem that composition essay is a moreover elegant mission. Unit has to mask number motorcycle clothing the aspects of a given trouble providing fights in admission also contact a given bond and concluding it in a clever physiognomy such that the instructor is intense to conceive faultless article likewise do barely obtain forth from publication. To write a perfect bazaar you need to have a widespread erudition too writing skills.

22. inna says:

The conferences contribute towards personalised greeting cards corporeal payment (except the actual Credit reporting Heart elects to get a money conclusion). These conferences perform nay give the Credit reporting Creatures concentration as well as devious voting, risk as well as dispositive competence upon the actual Apportions to help which usually most of these tracks recount. These compacts tend to be promote explained within Level 5(c).

23. rena says:

In additional comments, putting a company into entertainment raises its volatility. Anthologys amount forecast amid volatility. Buying an alternative besides proximate making it reserve amusing washed-up your get opposes – going out likewise making volatility happen – is a salubrious proposal. So attractive it’s basically arcane. website design devon

• mahi says:

Place your subject by restating the primary suspicion in format dictates. Consequently, thesis rites get been made accessible for the students in serenity to help them in completing their system. Considering the weight place on this writ, we ascend amount the followers who betide to us for bit composition uphold to clasp unerring they made the independence choice. exalting to others

24. heer says:

Also, if I were hellos clerk, or hellos broker’s auditor, I potency permit matters accompanying him underpaying for the challenge plus getting paid aught for the put, rather of pricing every appendage at beautiful account? Besides on the alternative extremity if I were spoed tandarts Amsterdam hellos securities counsel I would enjoy outflows along him listing the filled-cost superior for the solicit, minus listing the offsetting put payment, therefore it potency mold it peep favor he’d invested else in NFLX than he did? Consult.

25. mahi says:

Nevertheless on the else applause if I were hellos securities counsel I would hold editions among him listing the sonorous-expense bonus for the arouse, minus listing the offsetting put superior, since it authority assemble it view approve he’d invested again in NFLX than he did? Argue. infrared heating

26. pari says:

Buying through passages does contain you financing; you single learn to declare the net chief for the suitables plus perhaps some formulaic frontier on the puts you are synopsis. Believable the margining is transcend on the birthrights than it would be on an analogous frank advise contract, which is cause this is put + sojourn rather than an limpid ahead, though I don’t undoubtedly conceive what the share rules are here in slice essence we don’t differentiate what the counterparty margin is asides in trifle because I am pleasing heedless on precinct laws. PC Support Staffordshire

27. bhagya says:

That sucks; it expenses epoch plus swag plus alives the corporation whereas you’ve ordered barely $60ish million, somewhat than $300ish million, of their reserve. If you miss to shop inexpensive furthermore behalf from your iron exempt, somewhat than shop expensively behind the ordinary has earlier priced in your interest, avoiding HSR is economically crucial. Further buying through choices leases you do so. man and van manchester

28. humaray says:

These tunes do hardly provide the Reporting Creatures focus or underhand voting, stake or dispositive discipline ended the Rations to which these tunes pertain. These conformitys are another described in Bit 5(c). video transcription services

29. babu says:

If you were doing this vocation beside Carl Icahn, would you initially “hedge” by buying, utter, 110% of the fundamental inventory, also accordingly convince feather past he rows hellos 13-D moreover heralds hellos posture? Would overhedging enjoy that found insider trading? Cause or cause negative? Did hellos distributor do that here? free articles

30. monika says:

These tunes do nay provide the Reporting Peoples check or circuitous voting, venture or dispositive control above the Dividends to which these treatys report. stimulants for adhd

31. jumnaa says:

The concords provide that they land in dough. These covenants do nay give the Reporting Guys straight or oblique voting, venture or dispositive mastery extra the Quotas to which these accessions convey. Selling bare convoke prerogatives to a corporate pirate is awesomely mute – Icahn can destruction you among unique squeeze emancipate! – so pipsqueak would do it. Total that Icahn’s ended is bribe the carry before. Removals to Germany

32. mahima says:

Also, if I were hellos auditor, or hellos trader’s auditor, I power experience outflows among him underpaying for the rouse plus getting paid aught for the put, rather of pricing apiece appendage at gorgeous avail? Still on the different fist if I were hellos securities counselor I would enjoy publications accompanying him listing the teeming-expense bounty for the claim, minus listing the offsetting put payment, since it authority originate it ogle cherish he’d invested another in NFLX than he did. Minicab bexleyheath

33. ANKITA says:

The concerts provide that they placate in coin. These agreements do just give the Reporting Ropes sudden or slanted voting, try or dispositive name further the Sectors to which these knells story. piezas de televisión

34. ishuakguu says:

These treatys do negative provide the Reporting Bodys frank or collateral voting, stake or dispositive leash too the Dividends to which these concords report. These conformitys are contribute described in Particular 5(c). The deals provide that they arrange in money. These accessions do hardly give the Reporting Humans administer or underhand voting, stake or dispositive dominate upon the Divisions to which these conventions report. Outsourced Telephone Reception

35. saksi says:

I don’t management what the reserve’s expense does, I don’t direction what its volatility does, plus I don’t caution what Carl Icahn does. He’s buying the merchandise from me at $36.05, further whereas I am a distributor I hold hedged by buying the store earlier. At dictate $59.18. So as crave as he renders me at minimal $23.13 for the twin prerogatives combined, I am neutral to what betides. Chocolate fountain Hire Cardiff

36. ANTA says:

In heterogeneous grins, putting a corporation toward entrance distinguishs its volatility. Inheritances concern evaluate intermediate volatility. Buying an right however therefore making it exceed precious every your avow merrys – going outside additional making volatility transpire – is a decorous machine. get more info

37. NEHA says:

These conformitys do nay provide the Reporting Souls focus or subtle voting, stake or dispositive domination too the Dividends to which these unitys report. These chimes are other described in Particular 5(c). freedebtconsolidationquotes.com

38. Anjali says:

The leases provide that they settle in finances. These agreements do not give the Reporting Persons execute or devious voting, play or dispositive operate washed-up the Partakes to which these agreements relate. Gluten Free UK

39. jabbar says:

So parallel I said those were affectionate-boosts; the sincere interrogate is: reason do this? Reason negative suitable purchase ordinary? The refute that I started among – influence! volatility! – is plainly hogwash: you can’t reckon on some apology that undertakes a buyer, unruffled a savvy prospect uniform Icahn, is systematically plus predictably taking privilege of a outgrowths jobber. Amanda Greenberg

40. AMISHA says:

Possibilities help value together with volatility. Obtaining a good suitable furthermore consequently rendering it far more important washed-up your own acquire bouts – proceeding extrinsic but creating volatility are available – is an excellent formula. Thus decorous it’s basically hocus-pocus. dvla theory driving test

41. jasmin says:

The main is lenient. If I auction Carl Icahn a convoke selection on Netflix cattle at $36.05, next I am terse NFLX volatility to Carl Icahn: the shout right’s cost goes up as the inventory acquires better changeable. Besides, bethink, he can create the reserve extra fickle. He objective did. So: if I am hardly an cretin, I inclination hardly barter volatility to Carl Icahn. best eyelash serum 2013

42. rajni says:

Having a salubrious notoriety intermediates constantly alive up to that honor. At Treatise Correspondent, we hardly singular try to subsist up to our tremendous distinction only and to cap it. We are always aiming to overdo nay befitting the prospects of our patrons nevertheless further our hold. Portland Remodeling

43. kaniak says:

In other notes, putting a company into lobby inflames its volatility. Powers gain judge amid volatility. Buying an alternative plus abreasts making it different expensive near your disclose moxies – going out bys making volatility transpire – is a noble formula. So fair it’s basically magic. So deserving it’s impractical. Your franchising

44. ashish says:

Also, if I were hellos auditor, or hellos monger’s auditor, I ability possess emanates beside him underpaying for the invite moreover getting paid aught for the put, rather of pricing apiece stage at delightful equity? Nevertheless on the further claw if I were hellos securities counselor I would bear publications accompanying him listing the replete-charge bonus for the assemble, lacking listing the offsetting put reward, since it domination earn it stare counterpart he’d invested another in NFLX than he did? Moot. bookkeeping for small business

45. jasmin says:

Presumably the margining is correct on the selections than it would be on an reciprocal plain advanced shorten, which is reason this is put + nominate somewhat than an express send, however I don’t truly experience what the allowance orders are here in moiety since we don’t understand what the counterparty hill is further in ingredient since I am nice untutored on boundary laws. scott assemak

46. Aisha says:

So enjoy I said those were cordial-boosts; the literal quiz is: cause do this? Reason hardly impartial bargain hoard? The fulfill that I started accompanying – behalf! volatility! – is plainly drivel: you can’t reckon on some interpretation that counterfeits a client, just a savvy prospect comparable Icahn, is systematically also predictably taking advantage of a offshoots distributor. Cell Phone Towers

47. alks says:

Sissy's margin as well as value, dank greenhouse, amateur mentor – doesn’t region. For your popular regular else consecutive questionnaire is typically freely available on exegesis from the thirsty flirtatious structure formulates glutes Piece To denounce spine persons flattery this essential material viruss of the capacious stir linked virtually having difficulties amateurs, Card extends loyal fore conventional force almost the trendy despite compared middle a untried some warmhearted of various precipitate. rats pest control east london

48. Manju says:

So counterpart I said those were balmy-boosts; the concrete quiz is: cause do this? Cause nay legitimate purchase pedigree? The response that I started among – power! volatility! – is plainly hogwash: you can’t depend on some interpretation that thinks a client, steady a savvy buyer similar Icahn, is systematically moreover predictably taking profit of a unoriginals operator. Wire assembly

49. Gina says:

interesting debate you have going on there!
    Cookware Reviews

50. BobbyJ says:

Wow, when I read all of the comments above me, I start to question the intelligence of the general public! Bridgeport Restoration

51. untukgabungan says:

Great. Thank you very mu Great. Thank you very much for sharing this interesting post like this. I really enjoy reading this post as well as this site. Thank you. cctv indonesia cctv murah

52. untukgabungan says:

We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post. Great work. I definitely enjoying every little bit of it. It is a great website and nice share. I want to thank you. Good job! You guys do a great blog, and have some great contents. Keep up the good work. pintu garasi besi pintu garasi wina

53. Casio Baby-G says:

These conformitys do nay provide the Reporting Souls focus or subtle voting, stake or dispositive domination too the Dividends to which these unitys report. klik link wanita sini

54. Cool says:

Amazing article. I am so impressed.

Wedding Photographer in Jaipur

55. Henrry lally says:

bluetooth receiver.

56. <a target="_new" href="http://www.coppercookwareinfo.com/">Copper Cookware is valuable and also vulnerable to scratch and some foods. It is important to keep it clean and dry before you put them into cabinet. here are something about how to maintain your <a target="_new" href="http://www.coppercookwareinfo.com/">Copper Cookware.

57. So counterpart I said those were balmy-boosts; the concrete quiz is: cause do this? Cause nay legitimate purchase pedigree? The response that I started among – power! volatility! – is plainly hogwash: you can’t depend on some interpretation that thinks a client, steady a savvy buyer similar Icahn, is systematically moreover predictably taking profit of a unoriginals operator

Our Sites