The phone call lasts just a few seconds. The words “congratulations, you’ve become a partner,” are just about all Lloyd Blankfein, the boss of Goldman Sachs, will have time to say to the 85 or so bank high-flyers he will ring next Wednesday to invite into one of the most prestigious and lucrative cliques on Wall Street…Those aspiring partners who pick up their phones next week and hear not Blankfein’s New York tones but, perhaps, the more familiar voice of their divisional boss on the end, will know their time has not come. Some will walk. But others, as Sherwood puts it, “will go back to their desk, and work hard” and try again in two years’ time. [Guardian, Earlier]

1. Posted by Guest | November 9, 2012 at 4:51 PM

…and a fourth group will go into financial journalism.

2. Posted by guest | November 9, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Tough but fair.

3. Posted by guest | November 9, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Please make that last tag come true.

– guy who'll be up for partner in 6-7 yrs

4. Posted by Guest | November 9, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Another partner recalled his own experience: "The stall door flew open and he was basically between my legs before I knew what was happening. I was scared but when I saw him place his perfectly polished shoe on the TP dispenser next to me, I knew. I looked up with tears streaming down my face to see him nodding silently."

5. Posted by Guest | November 9, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Setting: Darien U-8 girls soccer on a Sunday afternoon. Goldman guy standing next to UBS guy, both shouting variations of "Get the ball!"
    <Phone Rings>
    Goldman Guy: Huh, it's the office. Hello? That's great news! Thanks so much, Lloyd! (Turns to other guy) I just made partner!
    <Phone Rings>
    UBS Guy: Huh, it's the office. Hello? Um, will you be shipping the contents of my desk?
    Fade to black…

6. Posted by nki | November 9, 2012 at 5:48 PM

and if it doesnt work out you can always write a "tell all" that youll pre-sell to some dumb publisher for 7 figures, take 2 days to write and off to Belize or whatever.

7. Posted by Harvey W | November 9, 2012 at 6:12 PM

this had potential…

8. Posted by guest | November 9, 2012 at 6:18 PM

9. Posted by Guest | November 9, 2012 at 6:22 PM

We were looking for more creativity and passion – both for your job, and for the Firm.

— Goldman HCM

10. Posted by Guest | November 9, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Rough butt hair.

-Guy in next stall

11. Posted by Fun w/ Dick & Jane | November 9, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Son of a bitch!!!

12. Posted by Very Little Effort | November 9, 2012 at 8:31 PM

UBS Guy: Wait, what, no, I don't want to be made an MD, please, I'm just under the level eligible for clawbacks right now, please don't fucking do this to me

13. Posted by Quant me maybe | November 9, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Do you have tomaybes older bald white guy to join this club?

14. Posted by guest | November 9, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Metro-North has stops after Greenwich?

All Goldman employees

15. Posted by guest | November 9, 2012 at 10:36 PM

"tomaybes"?

16. Posted by Gullible | November 10, 2012 at 12:48 PM

A diet rich in tomatoes is the key to becoming GS partner?

17. Posted by Guest | November 10, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Says guy who either never worked at Goldman or lives in dirty Jersey but remains completely clueless about Connecticut.