As you may have heard, things are not going so well for New York City* of late. Lower Manhattan has been without power for days. A hundred or so houses that once stood in Queens are now rubble. Staten Island has been destroyed. Those living uptown and in other areas that emerged relatively unscathed are dealing with survivor’s guilt. In spite of all that, Mayor Bloomberg has declared that the Marathon, scheduled for this Sunday, will go on, a decision that has been met with major outrage by people who believe the considerable resources that go toward putting on the race should be put to more critical use elsewhere, that the city does not need the strain of putting up an additional 40,000 people, that the supposed economic benefit would be a drop in the bucket of what NYC needs, that the generators sitting in Central Park right now could be helping those sitting in darkness, and that considering dead bodies are still being pulled of the water, it’s generally “too soon.” One guy who’d beg to differ? Ed Koch. Twenty-five years out of his mayorship, he still gets these people and while the media would have you believe holding the marathon has caused an enormously heated debate, he’s here to tell you that’s bull. New Yorkers want this and if Koch were still King? He’d be throwing a parade come Sunday, with A-Rod as Grand Marshal.

“I’m telling you — and I think I’ve got pretty good judgment in this matter —that the people of New York City want the marathon to be run, and I applaud what the mayor is doing,” Koch told CNBC. “I think the media is creating a fuss that doesn’t exist, and that the people of New York City want this marathon,” he said on “Fast Money.” “If I were mayor, I would be doing exactly the same thing.” Koch, who served as mayor from 1978 to 1989, said that he faced the same decision when the city was near bankruptcy and still threw a ticker-tape parade for the Yankees following their World Series win. The parade came despite opposition from the media. “I said, ‘New York Times, you have your head screwed on wrong.’ What the people of New York City need is a celebration, something that will lift their spirits, and there’s nothing comparable to the marathon with respects to lifting the spirits of this city,” he said.

NYC Marathon Must Go On, Ex-Mayor Koch Says [CNBC]

*And the East Coast in general, Haiti, Jamaica and Cuba.

1. Posted by guest | November 2, 2012 at 3:33 PM

"The people of New York want this."

Okay old man.

2. Posted by Guest | November 2, 2012 at 3:35 PM

I live below 39th on the east side .. I'll be out on Sunday peeing on passing runners

GFY Koch

3. Posted by HAM05 | November 2, 2012 at 3:42 PM

fucking marathon runners

4. Posted by Everyone | November 2, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Just to be clear, this sentiment is not weather related.

5. Posted by Wiki Answers | November 2, 2012 at 3:47 PM

'Give them bread and circuses and they will never revolt'…….

Coined by the Roman poet Juvenal in the first Century in his Satires lamenting the continuing slide of his former Roman Republic into dictatorship. The term refers to entertainment or offerings intended to foil discontent or distract attention from a situation. In ancient Rome, bread and circuses were used to keep the underprivileged poor people quiet.

6. Posted by Cosmo | November 2, 2012 at 3:50 PM

I will be out there with a hot cup of tea for the first runner who wants it.

7. Posted by guest | November 2, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Yankees win the World Series ===> have a parade

Hurricane destroys parts of the city, many people suffering ====> have a marathon

excellent analogy mayor

- UBS Cognition Quant

8. Posted by Donald Trump | November 2, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Like Tuesday's election, the marathon will feature a Kenyan winning, trailed by hordes of sad looking white people.

9. Posted by Guest | November 2, 2012 at 4:11 PM

I plan on using my t-shirt gun to knock down runners so that I can then eat them.

-Future John Street Cannibal

10. Posted by GeezerOilTrader | November 2, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Well kiss my ass and call me "Smiley"…… What do we have here? Some youthful, over-educated fuckstick commentary perhaps? Or just another designer-stubbled, nipple dicked, Frisbee in the ear-gauged financial hipster who doesn't know Paul McCartney was in another band before "Wings"? Perhaps another derivative selling dumbass who has never seen "Bullitt" starring Steve McQueen?? Someone who wouldn't know a slide rule if he was hit in the head with one? If you young shitheads weren't so busy IMing every one about how your colleagues are "retards" like that idiot at Mirant …..or if you could slow down on that picture phone competition with your peers about "Cut or Uncut?" for a short while, you'd realize that if it wasn't for "old men" like Koch and their effort to bring vibrancy and efficient financial institutions to the high traffic area known as New York City, you little dick beaters wouldn't have all the financial institutions who employed you –not knowing your financial, Mr. Math genius alchemy– would gut them in 2008 and wind up showing your pimply fucking asses when the economic tide went out –as Mr. Buffet would say, and I'm not referring to that Parrothead singer.

11. Posted by Guest | November 2, 2012 at 4:15 PM

How is Jean Paul going to make it to the marathon on time with no power and gridlock traffic?

12. Posted by Dow30Thou | November 2, 2012 at 4:18 PM

It's ridiculous that they're still holding this, but that being said, I'll see you on the Verrazano.

-Dow30Thou

13. Posted by Guest | November 2, 2012 at 4:25 PM

"A hundred or so houses that once stood in Brooklyn are now rubble."

If this is referring to the fire, that was in Queens.

14. Posted by classics major | November 2, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Your analogy is stretched. Republican Rome had an arrogant political class, a sprawling bureaucracy, a massive influx of immigrants from culturally alien places, coinage whose value was suspect, and they were bogged down with wars in the East.

We of course have none of those things.

15. Posted by Capt. Obvious | November 2, 2012 at 4:34 PM

It'll just be you and the wind then.

- marathon course

16. Posted by guest | November 2, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Kramer is going to wake him up.

17. Posted by Sean | November 2, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Also, get off my damn yard.

18. Posted by Invitee | November 2, 2012 at 4:38 PM

No survivor's guilt here. I did lose Internet for a couple of hours on Tuesday, though, is that the same thing?

- Midtown resident who has enjoyed 5 extra days of vacation and counting because his office is in downtown.

19. Posted by Barney Rubble | November 2, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Hey!

20. Posted by peter | November 2, 2012 at 4:47 PM

he's sleeping at Roubinis house

21. Posted by Tree | November 2, 2012 at 4:49 PM

I'm not on your yard, I'm on your house.

22. Posted by The Hunkerer | November 2, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Meet me at Minetta's, Koch. Finger me in the dark till you find a pulse so I know it's you.

23. Posted by classics minor? | November 2, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Don't forget concentration of wealth and property ownership among the elite

-Guy who watched Rome on HBO

24. Posted by Incitatus | November 2, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Clock's ticking, dude.
    -410 A.D.

25. Posted by Guest | November 2, 2012 at 5:16 PM

I'm on my way.

– Jeff G.

26. Posted by HungryIntern | November 2, 2012 at 5:39 PM

I was thinking more of 330 A.D.

27. Posted by Lavar Arrington | November 2, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Penn State Alum here….why would you cancel a sporting event?

28. Posted by UBS office lackey | November 2, 2012 at 5:56 PM

more like 406 A.D.

29. Posted by City Slicker | November 2, 2012 at 6:19 PM
  30. Posted by Guest | November 2, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Geezer, so glad you're back from vacation. Wish we had more of you guys up in the hippie hell hole they call Austin. Can't wait to get back to civilization…Houston. Where the strippers have tits and the steaks are real meat.

31. Posted by Guest | November 3, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Grandpa Munster was Mayor of New York?