The young Wall Street Republicans filling an East 60th Street tavern were sipping grapefruit-vodka cocktails under flag-colored balloons when Fox News delivered election results that quieted them. “Look,” Matthew Swift said to A. Beaumont Allen, pointing up at a screen as Fox called Ohio for President Barack Obama. The two 26-year-olds paused as the TV flashed Obama’s re- election around 11:20 p.m. on Nov. 6. “There Is a Light That Never Goes Out,” the Smiths ballad with lyrics about a car crash, came on the stereo. A woman implored the crowd to drink. Concord 51, a political-action committee of young professionals, threw the party for guests who work in private equity, consulting, law, hedge funds and corporate strategy…Blake Saunders, a 26-year-old investment banker at Methuselah Advisors LP, stood near the bar. “When you push off all these different things that are always brought to the forefront in a primary election,” he said, “like social issues like gay marriage and abortion, if you get to the core of most young people, from 20 to 40 years old, their ultimate thing is they want to wake up the next morning and smile at their children and say, ‘I’m providing for my family.’” [Bloomberg]

1. Posted by guest | November 8, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Something tells me Saunders, 26, is not waking up the next morning, smiling at his children and saying "I'm providing for my family."

2. Posted by guest | November 8, 2012 at 7:23 PM

By children/family he meant "chick I met at Dorian's last night." Same diff/no diff.

3. Posted by guest | November 8, 2012 at 7:23 PM

So wise, like a miniature Buddha, covered in hair.

4. Posted by guest | November 8, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Or his frat bros who were in NYC for the night. They count too.

5. Posted by Bejujular | November 8, 2012 at 7:55 PM

So I can't also be happy I'm providing for a society where kids aren't punished for being born to those well outside Concord 51's tax bracket?

6. Posted by Guest | November 8, 2012 at 10:33 PM

can you imagine what would happen to the world if that bar exploded that night? All of those investment bankers and consultants and private equity guys all in one place? The impact on humanity would be immeasurable.

7. Posted by Kweku Adoboli | November 8, 2012 at 10:54 PM

UBS was like my family

8. Posted by Macgyver | November 9, 2012 at 8:22 AM

if you write "market boom" on a piece of paper, but fold it the wrong way, u may end up with a bomb, rather than a market rally.

9. Posted by The NSA | November 9, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Go on…

10. Posted by Guest | November 9, 2012 at 9:55 AM

My ultimate thing is waking up the next morning.

The other Methuselah

11. Posted by Edmond_Dantes | November 9, 2012 at 11:54 AM

After Romney's defeat, Concord 51 leaders shared a conciliatory moment with one of the Tavern waiters – an Obama supporter:
    '…this is Blake Saunders, and I'm A. Beaumont Allen..nice to…meet you…'
    to which the waiter beemed:
    '..Billy Ray Valentine, Capricorn!'

12. Posted by UFO | November 9, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Congrats to this for not acknowledging that first you have to be able to wake up and be allowed to have the family you want. Maybe if the GOP stopped being such gaping twats, maybe independants like myself would give them the time of day. Until then, take a lap….for the next four years.

13. Posted by M. Romney | November 9, 2012 at 1:13 PM

I can't believe I dodged that bullet! Feels like the last few years were just a bad dream, and I finally woke up. Excuse me, I have to run, there's a G6 waiting for me.

14. Posted by derp | November 9, 2012 at 2:06 PM

If you push off all the genocide, Hitler was a great guy.

15. Posted by guest | November 9, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Pretty sure the DB editor who put this up is fully aware of how ludicrous the quote is (as evidenced in the headline), though the dude who said it does not.