News

Have you ever gazed upon classical Greek philosopher Nassim Nicholas Taleb and thought to yourself, “That man has a body from the gods. I could never hope to match him in brains, but what about brawn? If only I could obtain the details of his diet and fitness regimen”? Well, friends, today is your lucky day. Despite still being on his second tour of self-imposed quiet time, Taleb granted several interviews to publications reviewing his new book, “Antifragile: Things That Gain From Disorder,” and, naturally, the topic of his physique came up, specifically the various ways he keeps it in such enviable shape. (He also touches on the exercises that led to him having a brain three times the size of the typical astrophysicist, though please note that these should be appreciated but not be attempted by average humans, who could hurt themselves quite badly.)

In speaking with New Scientist, Taleb addressed his workout routine of the body (picking up rocks, squat thrusts), his workout routine of the mind (sucking the blood of his haters), and how he keeps his immune system in fighting form.

I lift stones and do weightlifting. I don’t go to the doctor except when I’m very ill, and when I go to India, I drink a drop of local water. Things like this harness the body’s antifragility. I have never had personal debt and never will. I also picked a profession in which I am antifragile, because any attack makes me stronger. When I write about something, I have skin in the game.

And from The Economist, we learn that the women who fed him fruit while he laid in bed for two years reading doctoral theses on probability and statistics would find themselves on the business end of hissy fit on the occasions they dared to grab whatever was on sale at Whole Foods.

“Antifragile” is as much about the author as it is about the world. He is a weightlifter and calls himself “an intellectual who has the appearance of a bodyguard”. He avoids fruit that does not have an ancient Greek or Hebrew name and drinks no liquid that has not been in existence for at least 1,000 years. He has little time for copy editors, even less for economists, bankers and those who cluster at Davos. He once spent two years in bed reading every book about probability he could lay his hands on.

Deep thoughts, by Nassim Nicholas Taleb [updated] [FT Alphaville]
Stress Best [The Economist]
Antifragile: How to make an unstable world strong [New Scientist]
Black Swan Author Nassim Nicholas Taleb Is the Incredible Hulk [Daily Intel]

37 comments

37 Responses to “Nassim Nicholas Taleb Became The Chiseled Adonis You See Before You Through A Strict Regimen Of Picking Up Rocks And Lying In Bed For Two Years”

1. Guest says:

Where is the “always with the three names” tag?

2. guest says:

where the hell is the 'always with the three names' tag?

3. Mr. Nanoverse says:

Man, he must be doing something right. His muscles are so big that he can't even cross his arms without looking awkward.

4. Hobbes says:

I think the secret to his brilliance is that he smells his own farts.

5. Tony says:

Billionaire genius playboy philanthropist.

6. asdf1234 says:

I'm sure writing OTM puts has been great the last few years. Anyone know if Universa is still in business?

7. Nailz6 says:

Still a pussy.

– C. Gasparino

8. dos equis guy says:

he is "the most intellectually arrogant man in the world"…

9. Christopher says:

"He once spent two years in bed reading every book about probability he could lay his hands on" — were there lots of books on probablity already clustered within an arm's length of his bed before the 2 year period began, or did he have servo-mechanisms that went out from the bedroom to find such books and bring them back to him while he remained inert as per his sacred vow?

10. TNT says:

Here is a one line explanation of all his philosophy, plus his name: N(n,t) — merely normal, taken to n-th degree, with a bit of fat (tail).

11. Ronald "Mac" Donald says:

I too have been described as an intellectual with the appearance of a bodyguard.

12. qwestion says:

Billy Joel wants his face back.

13. Guest says:

I pick things up and put them down

14. Louis Bacon says:

Nassim Taleb carries around a tank of oxygen so he doesn't have to breathe the same air as you. He has never made eye contact with a waiter. He often delivers speeches in Urdu so he doesn't have to share a language with anyone nearby. His children describe Taleb as a "unknowable, distant enigma." Every word you speak is like a tiny knife jabbing at his eardrums, and if Taleb uttered a word in your presence it would be like the voice of God in your head.

15. Balls Mahoney says:

Is he a hedge fund manager, rapper, or terrorist?

16. Gretyui says:

Funny how he read so much about statistics to dismiss it and, when it comes to nutrition, he basically trusts in magic – more crazy than smart, I guess…

17. Magic MG says:

Great comments! I always thought this deuche was a self absorbed idiot as this article just adds more fuel to the fire. Does he actually think his average sized brain power is even relevant in today's age? Does anyone know how his hedge fund is performing or is that not even in existence anymore?

18. Hi Bass! Thank you for this interesting article. I enjoy reading it and i learn from your post. Definitely share this on my social network account for reference.

19. Health of body is very important.If you are not healthy and solid fitness then you can not find a good skin attraction and smart body.

20. 5-htp.pw says:

This is one of the best posts that I’ve ever seen; you may include some more ideas in the same theme. I’m still waiting for some interesting thoughts from your side in your next post

21. Melissa says:

I also picked a profession in which I am antifragile, because any attack makes me stronger. When I write about something, I have skin in the game. http://www.theslimmingsupermarket.co.uk