In the summer of 2009, Jessica Mang, far left, met an investment banker named Thomas Ammann at a nightclub in London. Both liked what they saw and started seeing each other “at least once a week,” on days he wasn’t with his other girlfriend, Christina Weckwerth. Things were going well, but by November, Mang wanted more. So when Ammann said he was going to take her on a romantic getaway to Seychelles, and all she had to do first was use her own money to trade on material non-public information he’d obtained from his job at Mizuho International about Canon’s purchase of OCE NV and then give him half the profits, she jumped at the chance. Not only did he want to go away with her (huge!) but he was entrusting her with such an important project (huger!); Mang had read all the dating books and knew that if a guy asked you to violate securities laws, it meant things were getting serious.

“He basically said that I show him that I trust him — I invest the money, he still hadn’t specified how — once that’s done, we’ll go on holiday in the Seychelles,” Mang said today at a London criminal court. “I thought that was a massive leap in commitment.” She said Ammann told her if she didn’t do it, “he didn’t want to be with me anymore.”

She wrote in her diary that Ammann advised her to invest. Mang bought OCE shares and then sold them five days later for almost twice what she invested, the FSA said. “I thought, you know, this is a relationship that’s going to go somewhere, I definitely thought we were exclusive as well,” Mang said. “It wasn’t just sleeping together, in my mind we were definitely boyfriend-girlfriend from the start.” Ammann suggested that she should invest so they could build a future together, which she said she thought was a “very sweet and considerate thing he was doing.”

Update 11/15/12: Questions that remain unanswered at this time:

1) When Ammann asked Weckworth to insider trade on his behalf (in April 2009), did he dangle a vacation in her face, too? Did she agree to the deal because she also thought it was indication wedding bells weren’t far off, or was she just in it for the financial gain?

2) Under what circumstances* this misunderstanding could possibly occur:

Mang said she didn’t know what due diligence was and “thought it was just a cute nickname he had for me.”

If you have any ideas, we’re all ears.

Ex-Banker’s Girlfriend Says Trades on Tips Showed Trust [Bloomberg]
Earlier: Girlfriend Insider Trading On Two-Timing Boyfriend’s Behalf Found Roommate’s Judgment A Little Uncalled For
Related (re: breaking the law for your boyfriend because he promises to take you on vacation): What To Do (Or Not Do) Upon Waking Up In A Car “Driving Through A House,” Part II

1. Posted by LetsBreel | November 5, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Which one's the boyfriend?

2. Posted by A. Powers | November 5, 2012 at 12:16 PM

That's a Mang, baby!

3. Posted by Competitive Quant | November 5, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Unrelated, but can we enter Matt in Cap IQs modeling competitiong? – http://www.modeloff.com/ ? It says the first round's already over but I'm sure there's some kind of waiver process.

4. Posted by <3 Wedding Crashers | November 5, 2012 at 12:22 PM

"when a guy asks you to violate securities laws, it meant things were getting serious."

I guess by this logic Matt must be a stage 5 clinger.

5. Posted by guest | November 5, 2012 at 12:23 PM

No one is interested in your "unrelated" comments. Fucking focus.

6. Posted by guest | November 5, 2012 at 12:23 PM

if you think Matt wasn't in the first round, you don't know Matt

- guy who knows Matt

7. Posted by GottaBeSmarter | November 5, 2012 at 12:26 PM

She's cute, but not the brightest light in the chandelier

8. Posted by derp | November 5, 2012 at 12:27 PM

I thought he said he wanted to "do dull asians" and assumed he was talking about me.

-Jessica

9. Posted by Mr. Frankenberger | November 5, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Doody Ligence! I'm home!

10. Posted by Dumprings | November 5, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Yeah, well, he's no Pablo Salami either.

11. Posted by MDruries | November 5, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Thought this story was about Nicole Shkedi and Brian Delaney from Knight in 01-02 http://www.sec.gov/litigation/complaints/comp1832

12. Posted by ESPYs | November 5, 2012 at 12:43 PM

C'mon, Mang!

- Stuart Scott

13. Posted by Wire | November 5, 2012 at 12:48 PM

She's neither cute nor a bright light in the chandelier.

14. Posted by Homespun | November 5, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Not the sharpest tool in the shed.

15. Posted by Guest | November 5, 2012 at 12:49 PM

“I thought, you know, this is a relationship that’s going to go somewhere"

Ladies, if your man doesn't threaten to leave you if you don't insider trade for him it just means he doesn't love you.

16. Posted by ROR | November 5, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Mang's minge must be dericiuos.

17. Posted by Four Hour Urologist | November 5, 2012 at 12:53 PM

He had her thinking "dew diligence".

18. Posted by Movie Buff | November 5, 2012 at 12:54 PM

"That was my first Asian!!"

19. Posted by Guest | November 5, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Why was this banker dating Charlie Gasparino?

20. Posted by Guest | November 5, 2012 at 1:00 PM

That's low, having women peform illegal acts at your request.

-Charles Manson

21. Posted by Guest | November 5, 2012 at 1:02 PM

"Boy am I worn out from all the due diligence I've been doing all night long"?

22. Posted by guest | November 5, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Rigence*

-Asian Accent Quant

23. Posted by guest | November 5, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Swing and a miss.

24. Posted by Fist me on the grass | November 5, 2012 at 1:15 PM

They put them wieners on the glass at the Alano Club, while the ladies were rehearsing the Christmas pageant.

25. Posted by Power Pricer | November 5, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Not the most expensive fuel in the dispatch stack!

26. Posted by Long Duck Dong | November 5, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Sucky sucky. Wha happen hut stuf

27. Posted by investorcluzo | November 5, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Dear Diary,
    This stock market thing is easy. Tommy tells me what to buy, I double my money AND he invites me to Seychelles. Yay!
    -no girl with a college degree

28. Posted by Lexus at Treasures | November 5, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Not the tallest chairback in the gentleman's club.

29. Posted by IB Originator | November 5, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Not the most efficient collateralization of opposite positions in index and correlated single-name credit default swap (CDS) instruments.

30. Posted by C Sandarino | November 5, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Not the sharpest noodle in the rice bowl?

31. Posted by Ming Mangy | November 5, 2012 at 2:10 PM

wasn't seychelles damaged by the storm ?

32. Posted by asian contazion | November 5, 2012 at 2:11 PM

do philipinos count ?

guy who did a philipino once

33. Posted by Hobbes | November 5, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Dear Jessica,

That skinny latte isn't working.

34. Posted by Guest | November 5, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Damn. If it came down to a choice between the two I am definitely banging out the chubby asian over the female who looks like a female cracked out version of Charlie Sheen.

35. Posted by C. Gasparino | November 5, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Not the brightest bulb in the shed.

36. Posted by Guesteeculos | November 5, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Some questions:
    Will she claim that her implants made her temporarily insane? Or go with the traditional Chewbacca defense? And yes, DD stands for due diligence.
    Was Ammann a big Roy Orbison fan?

37. Posted by _guest | November 5, 2012 at 3:08 PM

"…I invest the money, he still hadn’t specified how — once that’s done, we’ll go on holiday in the Seychelles,” Mang said today at a London criminal court. “I thought that was a massive leap in commitment.” She said Ammann told her if she didn’t do it, “he didn’t want to be with me anymore.”

Diary Entry for Ms. Lang the following day:

"He must think I'm an idiot for not wanting to do "it"…what girl doesn't want to go the Seychelles?"

38. Posted by Guesty Guest | November 5, 2012 at 4:30 PM

"Cracked out version of Charlie Sheen"? Is there a non-cracked out version?

39. Posted by spinzone | November 5, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Most of the dickheads working on Wall Street don't "get" the stock market, so it's a little hypocritical to expect some Asian chiropractor to.

40. Posted by Doubting Thomas | November 5, 2012 at 4:29 PM

I agree with Thomas. Nothing says "commitment" like violating security fraud together. And Anal.

41. Posted by Homer | November 5, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Not the brightest uranium rod in the power plant.

42. Posted by UBS FICC QUANT | November 5, 2012 at 5:01 PM

1. Invest money
    2. ????
    3. Profit

43. Posted by Karsten | November 5, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Hey !

44. Posted by bbetttieee | November 5, 2012 at 6:52 PM

not the coldest beer in the fridge

45. Posted by guest | November 5, 2012 at 7:03 PM

They're ugly and dumb.

/discussion

46. Posted by Guest | November 5, 2012 at 7:39 PM

There's an analyst in my office whose name one of the MDs doesn't know but similarly refers to him simply as "due diligence."

47. Posted by Tom Eisenstadt | November 5, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Choot you? I'm not gonna choot you, Mang. Thomas, choot that piece of chit.

Tony Montana

48. Posted by Edmund | November 6, 2012 at 7:59 AM

Old news and the coverage back in the glorious UK was much funnier: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9625

" Mang's flatmate Jean Wang said she raised concerns about the proposed investment in Oce. She said: "I think when she first mentioned it I was surprised that Thomas had suggested it. I basically said I do not think Thomas should be doing that, that's insider trading."

Ms Wang, who works for Goldman Sachs, added: "The impression I got was that Thomas was using the information he had from working on the private deal and trying to benefit from that."

49. Posted by Jean Wang | November 6, 2012 at 8:01 AM

Hey! That's our job!

50. Posted by guest | November 6, 2012 at 11:01 AM

You're an idiot and:
    1) The above Bloomberg article/DB post is based on things that went on in court YESTERDAY (when the articles were written) i.e. no, not old
    2) The above bits from the Telegraph article, which is not funny in the slightest, were reported by DB a month ago.

51. Posted by Mr. Fang | November 6, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Wait, Wang AND Mang? That IS funnier. Any Chang's?

52. Posted by AureliaGrey | November 6, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Stupid is as stupid does.