News

As you may have heard, in addition to the salary he was paid by the University of Michigan, Dr. Sidney Gilman made about $100,000/year through his side-gig advising “a wide network of Wall Street traders.”  That network included included Mathew Martoma, recently charged with running “the most lucrative insider trading scheme ever,” based on the information he received from Gilman, who made it a habit of leaking highly confidential drug trial data to the former SAC Capital employee. While most people that engage in fraud can’t help but spend their ill-gotten gains in a flashy way that attracts unwanted attention (expensive cars, private jets, chinchilla fur coats) the Times reports that Sid Gilman’s supplementary income “was not readily apparent in his lifestyle in Michigan.” For instance, no second home and no bragging to his colleagues about his life on Wall Street. Still, on at least one occasion, the doctor couldn’t help but let his seatmate on a flight home know that she was in the presence of a BSD.

…[Gilman] was willing to share a glimpse of his lifestyle with [a stranger] whom he sat next to on a flight from New York to Michigan a few months ago, telling her how his Alzheimer’s research allowed him to enjoy fine hotels in New York and limousine rides to the airport. “I wouldn’t say he was egotistical because he didn’t come across as obnoxious, but he definitely mentioned the kind of lifestyle that he had,” said [the woman], who had been upgraded to first class.

So many things to love about this. To name a few:

* Did the Times reporters somehow find this person on their own or did she read about Gilman’s woes in the paper and take it upon herself to get in touch?

* Most people mean regular town car when they say “limo” and would be mortified to pull up to the airport in an actual stretch limousine. And yet, for some reason, I assume that’s what Gilman was referring to and on at least one occasional  stuck his head and torso out of the sunroof to take in the sights in style.

* I love that he was all, “I stay in hotels with deluxe mini-bars, gigantic marble tubs, chocolates with turn-down service, THE WORKS.” To that end, odds he stuffed his carry-on with the complimentary toiletries and stole at least a couple robes during his various trips? Pretty high, right? And if our instincts are correct about that, odds he gets to keep them as part of his non-prosecution agreement? And that during his meeting with Feds, he waited ’til the last second to be like, “Um, just one more thing I forgot to mention…I have six or seven terry-cloth dressing gowns that accidentally got packed in my bag the last time I was in NYC…does this cover those?”

Quiet Doctor, Lavish Insider: A Parallel Life [NYT]

41 comments

41 Responses to “Doctor Who Tipped Off SAC Manager Wasn’t Conspicuous About His Wealth Except When He Was Telling Strangers On Planes About All The Fancy Hotels And Limo Rides Insider Trading Afforded Him”

1. Guesticle says:

Bragging about making 100k per year risking long prison sentences while your co-conspirators are making 10's of millions is the NKI.

• Guestmyfire says:

An intriguing discussion is worth comment. I believe which you ought to write regarding this subject, it may possibly not be a taboo topic but normally persons are too few to chat on such topics. To yet another location. Answering such question such as: $100k a year salary in the 21st century; is the NKI the NKI? Please read with PhD only. I get updates on Wall Street from Dealbreaker with some people.

• Laxbro says:

The doc was making $350,000 a year, which is nearly impossible to spend in Ann Arbor, especially at his age. He lived in a $400,000 home and probably drove a '97 Volvo to the hospital every morning. He wasn't leaking intel for the coin, he was leaking it because Wall Street sharks made the old man feel important.

• Guest says:

Dr Gilman dedicated his life to research. These Wall Street scumbags dedicate their life to leeching off anyone they can to make money. Sad story.

2. PermaGuestII says:

"You know, I'm KIND OF a big deal…"

Also- first class on a flight from LGA to DTW? What does that get you- an extra-wide seat at the front of the 30 y/o Delta DC-9 and all the Yellowtail Merlot you can drink?

3. Inquiring Minds says:

Anna, what did his dick taste like?

4. sme says:

i've actually taken this guy to the airport on several occasions…

-L. Christmas

5. Frank Garvin says:

But where did he put his 6ft anal bead tail while on the plane? Did he wrap it around his neck like a scarf?

6. Guest says:

What you think I rap for… To push a f##ing Rav4

-Dr. Kanye

7. R. Burgundy says:

Ron Burgundy: Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's vagina.
    Veronica Corningstone: No, there's no way that's correct.
    Ron Burgundy: I'm sorry, I was trying to impress you. I don't know what it means. I'll be honest, I don't think anyone knows what it means anymore. Scholars maintain that the translation was lost hundreds of years ago.
    Veronica Corningstone: Doesn't it mean Saint Diego?
    Ron Burgundy: No. No.
    Veronica Corningstone: No, that's – that's what it means. Really.
    Ron Burgundy: Agree to disagree.

First thought to mind when reading this (not sure why).

8. Consider it fixed says:

. . . Anya Parampil, who had been downgraded to first class.

9. Danker_Banker says:

Talk to me when you have your own table at Olive Garden.

10. guest says:

Leave me out of this.

– Matt Smith

11. VonSloneker says:

I don't see what the problem is here…

– M. Sanchez

12. S@D says:

I drive a Dodge Stratus!

13. Dr. Whovian says:

You'll be receiving a letter from the fan club about that title, deary.

14. Mrs_Slocombe says:

“he definitely mentioned the kind of lifestyle that he had”…Like flying first class on airlines that upgrade college students. Well, actually, it was a “Frontier fly and float” deal with Carnival Cruise Lines…more handy wipes with your complimentary peanut pack Mr. Stretch Limo?

• Laxbro says:

I doubt she got a status upgrade unless she flies home every weekend, which isn't really that possible if she's only a fresh. What we have here is an obnoxious east coast brat (who the fuck contacts the Times about a flight convo?) paying out of state tuition to go to UMich. My guess is her parents are well off but she didn't want her hipster friends in Ann Arbor being all judgy, so in an attempt to downplay what a spoiled brat she is, she lied about the upgrade. Her Dad's Amex picked up the $75 1-way fee.

• fft says:

I always suspected you went to U of M, but this comment clinches it. This is 100% correct and hilarious.

-U of M grad who didn't lie about flying first class because he never had any hipster friends

15. Guest says:

You think he's hot shit? I've gotten chicks younger and drunker than you through Beliezean security with a bag full of meth and a bloody Glock. In other news, how about Tim Hardaway's kid, huh?

16. Guest says:

I pulled up to an airport terminal in a stretch limo once and it was actually rather fun – felt like a rock star for a hot minute. I had to hire the stretch to go from one terminal to another when my cab dropped me off at the wrong spot and intra-airport shuttle/waiting for a regular cab would have taken too long.

17. This is a wonderful content which will be most useful to me because i am so excited to know about the discussion which will be most useful to me as well. I will suggest the discussion on Limo Rides Insider Trading Afforded Him. Thanks!!

18. dc limo says: