As you may have heard, in addition to the salary he was paid by the University of Michigan, Dr. Sidney Gilman made about $100,000/year through his side-gig advising “a wide network of Wall Street traders.”  That network included included Mathew Martoma, recently charged with running “the most lucrative insider trading scheme ever,” based on the information he received from Gilman, who made it a habit of leaking highly confidential drug trial data to the former SAC Capital employee. While most people that engage in fraud can’t help but spend their ill-gotten gains in a flashy way that attracts unwanted attention (expensive cars, private jets, chinchilla fur coats) the Times reports that Sid Gilman’s supplementary income “was not readily apparent in his lifestyle in Michigan.” For instance, no second home and no bragging to his colleagues about his life on Wall Street. Still, on at least one occasion, the doctor couldn’t help but let his seatmate on a flight home know that she was in the presence of a BSD.

…[Gilman] was willing to share a glimpse of his lifestyle with [a stranger] whom he sat next to on a flight from New York to Michigan a few months ago, telling her how his Alzheimer’s research allowed him to enjoy fine hotels in New York and limousine rides to the airport. “I wouldn’t say he was egotistical because he didn’t come across as obnoxious, but he definitely mentioned the kind of lifestyle that he had,” said [the woman], who had been upgraded to first class.

So many things to love about this. To name a few:

* Did the Times reporters somehow find this person on their own or did she read about Gilman’s woes in the paper and take it upon herself to get in touch?

* Most people mean regular town car when they say “limo” and would be mortified to pull up to the airport in an actual stretch limousine. And yet, for some reason, I assume that’s what Gilman was referring to and on at least one occasional  stuck his head and torso out of the sunroof to take in the sights in style.

* I love that he was all, “I stay in hotels with deluxe mini-bars, gigantic marble tubs, chocolates with turn-down service, THE WORKS.” To that end, odds he stuffed his carry-on with the complimentary toiletries and stole at least a couple robes during his various trips? Pretty high, right? And if our instincts are correct about that, odds he gets to keep them as part of his non-prosecution agreement? And that during his meeting with Feds, he waited ’til the last second to be like, “Um, just one more thing I forgot to mention…I have six or seven terry-cloth dressing gowns that accidentally got packed in my bag the last time I was in NYC…does this cover those?”

Quiet Doctor, Lavish Insider: A Parallel Life [NYT]

1. Posted by Guesticle | December 17, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Bragging about making 100k per year risking long prison sentences while your co-conspirators are making 10's of millions is the NKI.

2. Posted by PermaGuestII | December 17, 2012 at 2:35 PM

"You know, I'm KIND OF a big deal…"

Also- first class on a flight from LGA to DTW? What does that get you- an extra-wide seat at the front of the 30 y/o Delta DC-9 and all the Yellowtail Merlot you can drink?

3. Posted by Inquiring Minds | December 17, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Anna, what did his dick taste like?

4. Posted by sme | December 17, 2012 at 2:39 PM

i've actually taken this guy to the airport on several occasions…

-L. Christmas

5. Posted by Guest | December 17, 2012 at 2:41 PM

"You know, I'm kind of BIG…"

There, fixed it for you.

– for godsake's she's 17!

6. Posted by Frank Garvin | December 17, 2012 at 2:45 PM

But where did he put his 6ft anal bead tail while on the plane? Did he wrap it around his neck like a scarf?

7. Posted by Guest | December 17, 2012 at 2:47 PM

What you think I rap for… To push a f##ing Rav4

-Dr. Kanye

8. Posted by Delta HR | December 17, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Ugh… actually…. first class from LGA to DTW gets you…. well… you get to fly the plane….

9. Posted by R. Burgundy | December 17, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Ron Burgundy: Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's vagina.
    Veronica Corningstone: No, there's no way that's correct.
    Ron Burgundy: I'm sorry, I was trying to impress you. I don't know what it means. I'll be honest, I don't think anyone knows what it means anymore. Scholars maintain that the translation was lost hundreds of years ago.
    Veronica Corningstone: Doesn't it mean Saint Diego?
    Ron Burgundy: No. No.
    Veronica Corningstone: No, that's – that's what it means. Really.
    Ron Burgundy: Agree to disagree.

First thought to mind when reading this (not sure why).

10. Posted by Consider it fixed | December 17, 2012 at 3:06 PM

. . . Anya Parampil, who had been downgraded to first class.

11. Posted by Danker_Banker | December 17, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Talk to me when you have your own table at Olive Garden.

12. Posted by J. Epstein | December 17, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Gross! Too old.

13. Posted by Guest | December 17, 2012 at 3:13 PM

"I have many leather bound books"

Fixed it for you.

14. Posted by guest | December 17, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Just an FYI, the "fixed it for you" is only supposed to be used when you change the original comment to something funny.

15. Posted by Dr. Sid | December 17, 2012 at 3:22 PM
  16. Posted by Dr. Algernon | December 17, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Worst comment since last Tuesday.

17. Posted by guest | December 17, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Leave me out of this.

– Matt Smith

18. Posted by Guestmyfire | December 17, 2012 at 3:49 PM

An intriguing discussion is worth comment. I believe which you ought to write regarding this subject, it may possibly not be a taboo topic but normally persons are too few to chat on such topics. To yet another location. Answering such question such as: $100k a year salary in the 21st century; is the NKI the NKI? Please read with PhD only. I get updates on Wall Street from Dealbreaker with some people.

19. Posted by Bob Dobalina | December 17, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Just had that link teed up and ready to go huh? We'll be in touch.

– SEC HR

20. Posted by VonSloneker | December 17, 2012 at 3:51 PM

I don't see what the problem is here…

– M. Sanchez

21. Posted by S@D | December 17, 2012 at 4:01 PM

I drive a Dodge Stratus!

22. Posted by SellingLow | December 17, 2012 at 4:05 PM

I wish Nigeria would turn off the internet like Syria. Forever.

23. Posted by Dr. Whovian | December 17, 2012 at 4:16 PM

You'll be receiving a letter from the fan club about that title, deary.

24. Posted by Guest | December 17, 2012 at 4:26 PM

I take dumps on your mom with some people

25. Posted by PermaGuestII | December 17, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Hmm… I might be able to guess.

-guy who quoted Ron Burgundy in the second comment on this story

26. Posted by Impressed | December 17, 2012 at 5:00 PM

+1000

27. Posted by GSIntern | December 17, 2012 at 5:08 PM

She looks DTF… Call me when you're 18. Maybe.

28. Posted by BackRow | December 17, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Yes… these sorts of deals are difficult to close in modern times. Its not like you can slug back a couple drinks at Dorriann's and go for a walk anymore.

29. Posted by Laxbro | December 17, 2012 at 5:55 PM

The doc was making $350,000 a year, which is nearly impossible to spend in Ann Arbor, especially at his age. He lived in a $400,000 home and probably drove a '97 Volvo to the hospital every morning. He wasn't leaking intel for the coin, he was leaking it because Wall Street sharks made the old man feel important.

30. Posted by Mrs_Slocombe | December 17, 2012 at 5:56 PM

“he definitely mentioned the kind of lifestyle that he had”…Like flying first class on airlines that upgrade college students. Well, actually, it was a “Frontier fly and float” deal with Carnival Cruise Lines…more handy wipes with your complimentary peanut pack Mr. Stretch Limo?

31. Posted by VonSloneker | December 17, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Suck my plunger

– President, Dalek Fan Club

32. Posted by M. Sanchez | December 17, 2012 at 6:11 PM

What's the problem?

33. Posted by Guest | December 17, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Dammit – didn't see that Von Sloneker beat me to it by 2 hours. Hail to the king.

34. Posted by Laxbro | December 17, 2012 at 9:15 PM

I doubt she got a status upgrade unless she flies home every weekend, which isn't really that possible if she's only a fresh. What we have here is an obnoxious east coast brat (who the fuck contacts the Times about a flight convo?) paying out of state tuition to go to UMich. My guess is her parents are well off but she didn't want her hipster friends in Ann Arbor being all judgy, so in an attempt to downplay what a spoiled brat she is, she lied about the upgrade. Her Dad's Amex picked up the $75 1-way fee.

35. Posted by Guest | December 17, 2012 at 10:34 PM

You think he's hot shit? I've gotten chicks younger and drunker than you through Beliezean security with a bag full of meth and a bloody Glock. In other news, how about Tim Hardaway's kid, huh?

36. Posted by Guest | December 17, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Dr Gilman dedicated his life to research. These Wall Street scumbags dedicate their life to leeching off anyone they can to make money. Sad story.

37. Posted by Guest | December 18, 2012 at 12:10 PM

I pulled up to an airport terminal in a stretch limo once and it was actually rather fun – felt like a rock star for a hot minute. I had to hire the stretch to go from one terminal to another when my cab dropped me off at the wrong spot and intra-airport shuttle/waiting for a regular cab would have taken too long.

38. Posted by Guesticle | December 18, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Wow. Thanks for sharing.

-Absolutely no one

39. Posted by fft | December 19, 2012 at 12:50 PM

I always suspected you went to U of M, but this comment clinches it. This is 100% correct and hilarious.

-U of M grad who didn't lie about flying first class because he never had any hipster friends

40. Posted by airportlimomiami | May 18, 2013 at 4:00 AM

This is a wonderful content which will be most useful to me because i am so excited to know about the discussion which will be most useful to me as well. I will suggest the discussion on Limo Rides Insider Trading Afforded Him. Thanks!!

41. Posted by dc limo | June 13, 2013 at 1:33 AM