John Paulson Doesn’t Need Your Pity

The total value of the properties in Paulson & Co.’s $298.4 million Paulson Real Estate Recovery Fund has roughly doubled on paper since the fund was launched in 2009, an executive said Wednesday at the fund’s annual meeting in New York…The private-equity real-estate fund is primarily invested in raw land, as well as the hotel companies Extended Stay Hotels and CNL Hotels & Resorts Inc. The fund makes up a tiny percentage of the firm’s roughly $19 billion in assets as of August, but has nonetheless been a bright spot in a tough period for Mr. Paulson…amid major subsequent losses at his funds, according to investors, some clients have pulled out. Still, many investors have remained loyal and potential new investors have approached the firm recently about putting in money, looking to invest at a low point, said people familiar with the firm. [WSJ]

1. Posted by Guest | December 6, 2012 at 2:51 PM

But his hair does.

-UBS alternate life style quant.

2. Posted by JP's Investors | December 6, 2012 at 2:56 PM

One good apple doesn't make up for a bad bunch?

3. Posted by Im_a_Dude | December 6, 2012 at 2:58 PM

a 2 hit wonder?

4. Posted by 2_Small_2_Bail | December 6, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Potential Investor: You've had a rough couple of years John. How about I help you pump your AUM a bit for 1 and 10?
    JP: I will literally murder you if you ever mention that again. Get the fuck out.

5. Posted by Guest | December 6, 2012 at 3:01 PM

How about mine?

-Peach

6. Posted by Max | December 6, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Why would you invest in illiquid real-estate? I bet he never makes a profit on those properties after the government "reinstates" their property values correctly. Everyone is trying to be Donald Trumph now and there are no buyers.

7. Posted by DT's Toupe | December 6, 2012 at 3:12 PM

You mispelt my name? You're fired.

D. Trump

8. Posted by Confused Guest | December 6, 2012 at 3:22 PM

"…potential new investors have approached the firm recently about putting in money, looking to invest at a low point, said people familiar with the firm."

Does this sound stupid to anyone else?

9. Posted by Guest | December 6, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Buy High, Sell Low < Buy Low, Sell Lower ?

10. Posted by PippyLongSausage | December 6, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Your comment is bad and you should feel bad.

11. Posted by AAPL | December 6, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Hey !

12. Posted by Shuda seen er | December 6, 2012 at 3:48 PM

the chick was a 2 tit wonder

13. Posted by Johnny P | December 6, 2012 at 3:48 PM

You're right. Land IS illiquid!

Noob sauce.

14. Posted by Katt Williams | December 6, 2012 at 3:49 PM

He looks like the guy I slapped in Target.

15. Posted by Barrack Obama | December 6, 2012 at 3:49 PM

What's my name. thrust What's my name . thrust

16. Posted by Patrick | December 6, 2012 at 3:50 PM

I'm devoid of emotion.

17. Posted by Horse | December 6, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Hay!

18. Posted by Hugh Culverhouse Jr. | December 6, 2012 at 3:54 PM

I suppose if you look at the 13-F and fell in love with it, you could possibly think of it as a hybrid closed end fund type vehicle if the assets it included were not any longer easily investable outside the fund.

but you are right that is near idiocy, presumably the journalist

19. Posted by Guest | December 6, 2012 at 3:57 PM

J Paulson is what the subprime not in trouble.

- Not J Paulsons' mom

P.S. Put on a sweater you are going to catch a cold !

20. Posted by Brian Hunter | December 6, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Bragging about the CAGR of 1.9% of your fund's assets is the OKI.

21. Posted by Confused Guest | December 6, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Ya exactly, I get their logic that, "Oh, he's down now but he'll rebound later so better get in while the getting's good," I just think that's an idiotic way of looking at it. This isn't a stock, where performance is affected in part by cyclical markets. This is a fund manager, whose performance should be a result of competence and insight and creative maneuvering, and is being paid specifically to beat market returns. If performance of his fund is gonna be more volatile than the market itself I'm better off just picking my own investments. After all, when his fund gains 100 then loses 50, I don't break even, rather I pay this billionaire asshole 20% for the joy of riding the ride. Better to pull everything and give my cash to someone who doesn't double my money but at least doesn't lose it all either.

- Guy who's too poor to invest with Paulson, but even if he wasn't, wouldn't be giving his money to this one-trick pony

22. Posted by Pony | December 6, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Hay !

23. Posted by Motivated guest | December 6, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Ball Don't Lie, Mr. Paulson !

M. Waters

24. Posted by Glue Factory | December 6, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Pony!

25. Posted by Wire Transfer | December 6, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Done

Aadvantage Plus LP

26. Posted by skwerl | December 7, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Are you sure that's hair?

27. Posted by first page hq | June 30, 2014 at 5:52 AM