Hedge Funds

John Paulson Doesn’t Need Your Pity

The total value of the properties in Paulson & Co.’s $298.4 million Paulson Real Estate Recovery Fund has roughly doubled on paper since the fund was launched in 2009, an executive said Wednesday at the fund’s annual meeting in New York…The private-equity real-estate fund is primarily invested in raw land, as well as the hotel companies Extended Stay Hotels and CNL Hotels & Resorts Inc. The fund makes up a tiny percentage of the firm’s roughly $19 billion in assets as of August, but has nonetheless been a bright spot in a tough period for Mr. Paulson…amid major subsequent losses at his funds, according to investors, some clients have pulled out. Still, many investors have remained loyal and potential new investors have approached the firm recently about putting in money, looking to invest at a low point, said people familiar with the firm. [WSJ]

27 comments

27 Responses to “John Paulson Doesn’t Need Your Pity”

1. Guest says:

But his hair does.

-UBS alternate life style quant.

2. JP's Investors says:

One good apple doesn't make up for a bad bunch?

3. Im_a_Dude says:

a 2 hit wonder?

4. 2_Small_2_Bail says:

Potential Investor: You've had a rough couple of years John. How about I help you pump your AUM a bit for 1 and 10?
    JP: I will literally murder you if you ever mention that again. Get the fuck out.

5. Guest says:

How about mine?

-Peach

6. Max says:

Why would you invest in illiquid real-estate? I bet he never makes a profit on those properties after the government "reinstates" their property values correctly. Everyone is trying to be Donald Trumph now and there are no buyers.

7. Confused Guest says:

"…potential new investors have approached the firm recently about putting in money, looking to invest at a low point, said people familiar with the firm."

Does this sound stupid to anyone else?

• Guest says:

Buy High, Sell Low < Buy Low, Sell Lower ?

• Confused Guest says:

Ya exactly, I get their logic that, "Oh, he's down now but he'll rebound later so better get in while the getting's good," I just think that's an idiotic way of looking at it. This isn't a stock, where performance is affected in part by cyclical markets. This is a fund manager, whose performance should be a result of competence and insight and creative maneuvering, and is being paid specifically to beat market returns. If performance of his fund is gonna be more volatile than the market itself I'm better off just picking my own investments. After all, when his fund gains 100 then loses 50, I don't break even, rather I pay this billionaire asshole 20% for the joy of riding the ride. Better to pull everything and give my cash to someone who doesn't double my money but at least doesn't lose it all either.

– Guy who's too poor to invest with Paulson, but even if he wasn't, wouldn't be giving his money to this one-trick pony

• Hugh Culverhouse Jr. says:

I suppose if you look at the 13-F and fell in love with it, you could possibly think of it as a hybrid closed end fund type vehicle if the assets it included were not any longer easily investable outside the fund.

but you are right that is near idiocy, presumably the journalist

8. Katt Williams says:

He looks like the guy I slapped in Target.

9. Guest says:

J Paulson is what the subprime not in trouble.

– Not J Paulsons' mom

P.S. Put on a sweater you are going to catch a cold !

10. Brian Hunter says:

Bragging about the CAGR of 1.9% of your fund's assets is the OKI.

11. Motivated guest says:

Ball Don't Lie, Mr. Paulson !

M. Waters

12. The private-equity real-estate fund is primarily invested in raw land, as well as the hotel companies Extended Stay Hotels and CNL Hotels & Resorts Inc.