• 21 Dec 2012 at 3:04 PM

Robust Christmas Tree Sales Mean… Something? Maybe?

The early numbers aren’t encouraging in terms of holiday sales. But let’s ignore them and rely on this instead:

In the ten years Mr. Sloterbeck has tracked them, sales of trees, wreaths and the like have proved a reliable gauge of overall holiday spending. When people are willing to spring for a bigger tree or buy that extra garland, they’re probably spending more at the mall too.

Mr. Sloterbeck’s contacts tell him it has been a strong season for trees. For the four weeks ended Sunday, the survey shows sales were 4.8% higher than a year ago.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m kicking off early because I am a man.

No Trimming of Christmas Tree Sales [WSJ]
Retailers may see disappointing holiday sales [MarketWatch]
Men take holiday shopping to the edge: Reuters/Ipsos [Reuters]

1. Posted by Guest | December 21, 2012 at 4:26 PM

booooooo

2. Posted by Could be true... | December 21, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Matt already had his intern hack into various stores shipping systems and have what an algorithm determined were the hottest gifts of 2013 shipped to his family and friends with a note saying he'd be busy with the soon to be released NY Fed BoD minutes; Jon Shazar goes shopping like a bitch.

3. Posted by Anonymous | December 21, 2012 at 3:32 PM

?

4. Posted by DB Espana | December 21, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Dale a tu cuerpo alegria Macarena
    Que tu cuerpo es pa' darle alegria y cosa buena
    Dale a tu cuerpo alegria, Macarena
    Heeeeey Macarena
    AAAhAA!

5. Posted by Inner Matt Thoughts | December 21, 2012 at 4:07 PM

You managed to write a whole 33 words and called it a day?

6. Posted by guest | December 21, 2012 at 4:24 PM

I attribute this to the sharp rise in interfaith marriages

7. Posted by UBS Compliance | December 21, 2012 at 4:30 PM

My list for Santa includes a return to Bess being the sole contributor…

8. Posted by Guest | December 21, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Who is Bess?

9. Posted by Dick | December 21, 2012 at 9:44 PM

This guy has yet to crack 100 words. Is he being paid for this?

10. Posted by Jon | December 27, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Just call me "The Shaz"

11. Posted by ijlal | April 23, 2013 at 4:10 AM

You done certain good points there. I did a search on the subject and found nearly all persons will agree with your blog.

12. Posted by grafik kursu | March 3, 2014 at 4:50 AM

was having difficulty not thinking of some business opportunities, so I started looking for some unusual blogs. I enjoyed your blog and it helped me relax.