Thai billionaire Dhanin Chearavanont, who started raising hens when he was nine years old, still owns poultry farms as part of his retailing and telecommunication empire. He also raises them for sport. “I never get bored of watching the elegant way they move and their beauty,” Dhanin said during a visit to Chachoengsao province in eastern Thailand in January. Cockfighting “isn’t a game that tortures the animal because chickens can’t be forced to fight. They fight when they want to fight. If they don’t want to fight, they walk away.” [Bloomberg]

25 comments (hidden for your protection)

1. Posted by Dom Eneker | December 12, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Does Minetta's have a rooster policy?

2. Posted by Guest | December 12, 2012 at 10:57 AM

That looks like a dog with a glove on his head.

-Kramerica Industries

3. Posted by Thematist | December 12, 2012 at 10:57 AM

So far today we have stories about cocks and asses. Will this theme continue, possibly with charts / graphs? Inquiring minds want to know!

4. Posted by Shecky Denizli | December 12, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Down around the Texas-Louisiana border, there had been a recent rash of illegal cock fighting, with quite a bit of gambling. The director of the Louisiana State Police finally bent to public pressure and sent an investigator to get to the bottom of the problem.

The crack investigator, Boudreaux, took an unmarked cruiser and headed for Mamou. He was gone for two days and arrived back in Baton Rouge to report to the director.

He reported that there were three major groups involved in the illegal cock fighting – AIG quants, JPM risk managers and HSBC executives.

Of course, the boss wanted to know how he surmised this, and he replied that he knew there were AIG quants involved when he saw someone enter a duck into the fight.

He knew that there were JPM risk managers involved when someone bet on the duck.

He then stated that he was absolutely positive that HSBC execs were involved when the duck won!

5. Posted by pazzo83 | December 12, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Sorry Dhanin, we aren't stepping foot into that ring until you agree to our pension and compensation terms. Only a 3% increase per annum over the next 5 years? You must be joking.

- cockfighting chickens

6. Posted by CoveredLong | December 12, 2012 at 11:10 AM

"Listen to me. Learn from me. I was not the best because I killed quickly. I was the best because the crowd loved me. Win the crowd and you will win your freedom"

-Cocksimo

7. Posted by Quant me maybe | December 12, 2012 at 11:13 AM

.. "and become chicken pad thai for dinner" he continued

8. Posted by Rep. Frank | December 12, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Cockfighting union? Go on…

9. Posted by el guesto | December 12, 2012 at 11:18 AM

That looks like Little Jerry Seinfeld!

– Cosmo

10. Posted by Ecornomist | December 12, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Matt has already mentioned 2 Swiss boobs this morning.

11. Posted by Foghorn Leghorn | December 12, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Yesterday – Wolverines
    Today – Gamecocks
    Seems like DB is leading up to a showdown on January 1 at the Outback Bowl.

12. Posted by Guest | December 12, 2012 at 11:32 AM

"Father to a murdered chick, husband to a murdered hen. And I will have my vengence, in this life or the next."

-Coximus

13. Posted by Guest | December 12, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Challenge accepted!

-Bawney

14. Posted by Golbman HR Ho | December 12, 2012 at 11:40 AM

"Goldman Sachs Revamps Analyst Program After Thai Billionaire's Cockfighting Philosophy"

15. Posted by M.Pacquiao | December 12, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Right on, chickens. I fight when I wanna fight, too.

16. Posted by Guest | December 12, 2012 at 11:44 AM

You Can't Lick Our 'Cocks

- Actual University of South Carolina Bumper Sticker

17. Posted by CoveredLong | December 12, 2012 at 12:03 PM

"So Coximus, we shall go to Thailand together and have bloody adventures. And the great whore will suckle us until we are fat and happy and can suckle no more. And then, when enough cocks have died, perhaps you will have your freedom"

-Cocksimo

18. Posted by The other rouge | December 12, 2012 at 12:38 PM

"They fight when they want to fight. If they don’t want to fight, they walk away"

Good description of the Thai Army.

19. Posted by Ron Mexico | December 12, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Come on, those chickens would have fought anyway.

20. Posted by Sean | December 12, 2012 at 1:14 PM

I thought people went to Thailand to get cocks removed, not to fight with them.

-One confused PreOp

21. Posted by A Dick Handler | December 12, 2012 at 1:49 PM

I did not know Jef had a Thai branch

22. Posted by M. Wahlberg | December 12, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Hey, chicken, how's it hanging? A lot of people want to eat you, but I just want to talk to you, okay? We should do a film together. What do you think? Chicken, I'm not joking around. This is the real thing. I mean, this could be huge. Think about it. Say hi to your mother for me, alright?

23. Posted by Guest | December 12, 2012 at 2:06 PM

…"cock meat sandwich for dinner" he continued

other than that, no concerns

24. Posted by Guest | December 12, 2012 at 2:46 PM

"We who are about to die, salute you! "

-Peter North's Prized Fighter