News

Perhaps, some of you thought, that as he pushes 90, former Bear Stearns Chairman and CEO Alan “Ace” Greenberg would slow down a bit, as people his age tend to do. Retiring from his job at JPMorgan seemed unlikely– he’s only 85, after all– but maybe he’d dial back his time on the magic circuit. Perform old tricks for colleagues, strangers, and friends, rather than new. Just generally not stay up to date on the latest trends in magicianry. Luckily, these baseless assumptions could not be further from the truth. In fact, Ace is sharper than ever, routinely humiliating those half (and even one-sixth) his age while teaching them the ropes in an alley behind JPM HQ. How does he do it? By keeping himself engaged with the upper echelons of the magic community, for whom he hosts a regular salon d’enchantment each month.

We learned about these conventions of conjuring through an interview with Adam Green, who recently wrote a story for the New Yorker about professional pickpocket Apollo Robbins, based on a tip from the Don of Trading Floor Magic. Sayeth Green:

…the idea of a story about Apollo Robbins came from Ace Greenberg, the former chairman of Bear Stearns, a serious magic aficionado who hosts a monthly gathering at his apartment for the best magicians in New York and those who happen to be in town. Robbins attended one of these evenings, during which he delighted Greenberg by stealing (and returning) his Patek Philippe watch. Greenberg mentioned Robbins to my editor at The New Yorker, Susan Morrison, who thought it sounded up my alley. When I called Greenberg, he said, “I’m telling you, this kid is something else.” He was right.

In related news, this appears to be real (insomuch as any illusion is “real”) and vastly underpriced.

How’d you find that pickpocket story, Adam Green? [Nieman]

66 comments

66 Responses to “Former Bear Stearns Chairman Ace Greenberg Came Up With The Idea For The New Yorker Pickpocket Profile, Holds Monthly “Gatherings” For The World’s Foremost Magicians”

1. Guest says:

Hey Ace, you may want to look at the lettering on your Patek Philippe.

2. InfiniteGuest says:

Ahem. Ace performs illusions. A trick is something a whore does for money.

3. derp says:

Watch as my integrity dissapears!

4. S. Cohen says:

Can you make old emails disappear?

5. BCS MBS Morals Guy says:

If he can, and he didn't help us out in all that CDO litigation, well that's just mean and inconsiderate.

6. DingALing says:

Now you see Bear Stearns…****…..Now you don't!

-The Berg

• Guesteban says:

Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Lehman, AIG, MF Global, others

7. Gob says:

Bear Sterns Board Member: Why should we believe in you?
    Ace: For the same reason you should believe that a hundred dollar bill… is no more… than a hundred pennies!

8. Mr. Frankenberger says:

From that video on Amazon:
    "Includes archival footage of Jack Miller performing his Ball, Silk And Wand Routine and his classic Egg Bag Routine."

9. Broseph says:

I also played "Magic: The Gathering" but sadly never became a billionaire from it

10. Guest says:

"Ace is sharper than ever, routinely humiliating those half (and even one-sixth) his age"

An 85 year old man doing magic with 14 year old kids is (baring a blood relationship) creepy especially when it's described as 'humiliating' them.

11. Lowly Assistant says:

For the next Dealbreaker Reading, can we just pop that DVD in, sit back and observe the sheer regalness of Ace pulling fast ones?

12. XXIst century says:

DVD ???

13. Spitzer says:

Can you make my political career reappear?

14. chat says:

goods blogs thankssadasd

15. sohbet says:

goods blogs thanksadasd

16. sohbet says:

we always do a great job with our layoffs.

17. sohbet says:

18. asdsour publish. It is well-articulated, razor-sharp, along with goal. What beneficial instruction you may have learned that you put onto this kind of release. Searching to

19. The SWTPA are kadıköy kombi servisi part of the National Tractor Pullers Register (NTPR) and are pleased to be working with the IOPD to promote and encourage Tractor Pulling

20. I have been through the whole content beylikdüzü kombi servisi of this blog which is very informative and knowledgeable stuff, So i would like to visit again.

21. Actually I am not habituate to reply a comment on blogs but this blog caught my attention and I am compelled to write a comment here to kombi servisleri express my gratitude to you. I would like to appreciate for this awesome work. Can I get more like this?

22. klima says:

Recently I have read news just like this arçelik klima servisi in a reputed newspaper. I am so much strange to see such kind of similarity. I am happy to see this.

23. great post ,just i am finding this info on net for one hour i get more info about that from many blog but nothing like that what you posted .

your post is so informative webmaster forumu and unique ,i like this and bookmarked your blog and i will try to read your all post .

24. These may include, unintentional weight loss, fever, being excessively tired, and changes to the skin. Hodgkin disease, pop radyo leukemia, and cancers of the liver or kidney can cause a persistent fever of unknown origin.

25. klima bakimi says:

Tori an amusing demirdöküm kombi servisi character. She tries her best to make a act and collects funds for cancer. This is awesome and rare one.

26. fantastic publish, very informative. I wonder why the other experts of this sector do
    not understand this. vaillant kombi servisi You should proceed your writing.
    I'm confident, you have a great readers' base already!

27. Hi, I just read texts on your blog and I became interested in the topic. I like your site and I am thinking whether I could use vaillant kombi servisi your words in my work? Would it be possible? I was about to say something on this topic. But now i can see that everything on this topic is very amazing and mind blowing.

28. klimaci says:

Please tell me that your heading to keep this up! Its so very good and so important. I cant wait to read far more from you. I just feel like you know baymak kombi servisi so very much and know how to make people listen to what you've got to say. This weblog is just as well cool to be missed. Great things, actually. Please, PLEASE keep it up!

29. To speak the truth this is a nice post concerning this topic. I got a pure solution from here. Also I can refer to you all kombi servisi

30. What an awesome and great post you have come up with here. I look forward to reading more from you aebn movies blog. webmaster forumu

31. webmaster forumları Great work. Very nice post. This is the perfect site for my needs. Thanks.

32. Lung cancer is the most common type of cancer associated with smoking. However, cancer of the larynx, mouth, throat, bladder and esophagus are klima servisi pop radyo all very common forms of cancer that are directly caused by cigarette smoke. Also, cancers of the kidney, stomach, pancreas and even a form of leukemia are linked with, though not directly caused by, smoking. Thanks for sharing.

33. ncludes archival footage of Jack Miller performing his Ball

34. Bear Stearns,BERETTA Kombi Servisi a serious magic aficionado who PROTHERM Kombi Servisi hosts a monthly gathering AUER Kombi Servisi at his apartment for the best BAXİ Kombi Servisi magicians in New York and those who happen to be in town. Robbins attended one of these evenings, during which he delighted Greenberg by stealing (and returning) his Patek Philippe watch. Greenberg mentioned

35. An 85 VİESSMANN Kombi Servisi year old man doing magic ÜSKÜDAR Kombi Servisi with 14 year old kids AVCILAR Kombi Servisi is (baring a blood BAYKAN Kombi Servisi relationship) creepy especially when BAYKAN Kombi Servisi it's described as 'humiliating' them.

36. sohbet says:

37. Bear Sterns Board Member: Why should we believe in you?

38. What beneficial instruction you may have learned that you put onto this kind of release. Searching to

39. oyment to talk to your publish. It is well-articulated, razor-sharp, along with goal. What beneficial instruction you may have learned that you put onto this kind of release. Searching to

40. officers to investigate

41. Hey Ace, you Kombi Bakımı may want to look Robbins bahçelievler kombi servisi to my editor at The New Yorker, Susan Morrison, Protherm kombi servisi who thought it sounded kombi bakımı up my alley. When I demirdöküm kombi servisi called Greenberg, beretta kombi servis he said, “I’m telling you, arçelik klima servisi this kid is something else.” He eca kombi servisleri was right.Sadly never became eca kombi servis a billionaire from it

42. Klima Servisi says:

this kind of bahçelievler klima servisi release. Searching to Actually I bağcılar klima servisi am not habituate to reply a comment klima montajı on blogs but this blog klima bakımı caught my attention and I am com

43. I have done a little test on this, and demirdöküm Kombi Servisi made an account in a completely different name and subbed demirdöküm Kombi Servisi myself its been inactive for the last six months and its still on my sub list? why is BAHÇELİEVLER Kombi Servisi this so if they are deleting inactive accounts then? because my friend who protherm Kombi Servisi I actual do gaming videos Kombi Servisi with was unsubbed from my account. I think they just look at how many subs you actually have and then say to

44. I think they just look at how many subs you actually have and then say to

45. Depression is one of bahçelievler kombi servisi the worst things that can bahçelievler eca kombi servisi happen to anyone. If they petek temizliği

46. I think they just look at how many subs you actually have and then say to are deleting inactive accounts then? because my

47. Buraya ile gelmiş Ne müthiş bir ve harika bir yazı. Vaillat Kombi Servisi Ben film blog AEBN daha fazla okumak için sabırsızlanıyoruz.Vaillat Kombi ServisleriBuraya ile gelmiş Ne müthiş bir ve harika bir yazı. Vaillat Kombi ServisBen film blog AEBN daha fazla okumak için sabırsızlanıyoruz.

48. Great blog here! Additionally your website so much up very fast! klima servisi , klima servisleri , vestel klima servisi

49. Ne müthiş bir ve harika Beylikdüzü Kombi Servisi bir yazı. Vaillat Kombi ServisBen film blog AEBN daha fazla okumak için sabırsızlanıyoruz.

50. this so if they are deleting inactive accounts then? because my friend who Avcılar Kombi Servisi I actual do gaming videos Bahçelievler Kombi Servisi with was unsubbed from my account. I think they just look at how many subs you actually have and then Baykan Kombi Servisi say to oyment to talk to your publish. It is well-articulated, razor-sharp, along Protherm Kombi Servisi with goal. What beneficial Beylikdüzü Kombi Servisi instruction you may have Zeytinburnu Kombi Servisi learned that you put onto Fatih Kombi Servisi this kind of release. Searching to

51. oyment to talk to your publish. It is well-articulated, razor-sharp, along with goal. What beneficial instruction you may have learned that you put onto this kind of release. Searching to

52. officers to investigate Blackstone's fishy financial transactions, but they wound up giving them

53. Basically bad Esenler Kombi Servisi credit loans are given to debtors who have poor bad credit Termostar Kombi Servisi scores as a result they are forced to pay higher Falke Kombi Servisi interest when compared to regular loans. This type Güngören Kombi Servisi of loan causes extra burden for debtors and you can get mortgage loans from many companies in the market Bosch Kombi Servisi but be cautious before taking decision ,since Ariston Kombi Servisi there are many hoax companies they would cost higher interest and additional fees and this make our situation worse.

54. I think they just look at how many subs arçelik klima servisi you actually have and then say to

55. fatih klima servisi blog AEBN daha fazla okumak için sabırsızlanıyoruz.