Perhaps, some of you thought, that as he pushes 90, former Bear Stearns Chairman and CEO Alan “Ace” Greenberg would slow down a bit, as people his age tend to do. Retiring from his job at JPMorgan seemed unlikely– he’s only 85, after all– but maybe he’d dial back his time on the magic circuit. Perform old tricks for colleagues, strangers, and friends, rather than new. Just generally not stay up to date on the latest trends in magicianry. Luckily, these baseless assumptions could not be further from the truth. In fact, Ace is sharper than ever, routinely humiliating those half (and even one-sixth) his age while teaching them the ropes in an alley behind JPM HQ. How does he do it? By keeping himself engaged with the upper echelons of the magic community, for whom he hosts a regular salon d’enchantment each month.

We learned about these conventions of conjuring through an interview with Adam Green, who recently wrote a story for the New Yorker about professional pickpocket Apollo Robbins, based on a tip from the Don of Trading Floor Magic. Sayeth Green:

…the idea of a story about Apollo Robbins came from Ace Greenberg, the former chairman of Bear Stearns, a serious magic aficionado who hosts a monthly gathering at his apartment for the best magicians in New York and those who happen to be in town. Robbins attended one of these evenings, during which he delighted Greenberg by stealing (and returning) his Patek Philippe watch. Greenberg mentioned Robbins to my editor at The New Yorker, Susan Morrison, who thought it sounded up my alley. When I called Greenberg, he said, “I’m telling you, this kid is something else.” He was right.

In related news, this appears to be real (insomuch as any illusion is “real”) and vastly underpriced.

How’d you find that pickpocket story, Adam Green? [Nieman]

1. Posted by Guest | January 23, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Hey Ace, you may want to look at the lettering on your Patek Philippe.

2. Posted by InfiniteGuest | January 23, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Ahem. Ace performs illusions. A trick is something a whore does for money.

3. Posted by derp | January 23, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Watch as my integrity dissapears!

4. Posted by S. Cohen | January 23, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Can you make old emails disappear?

5. Posted by BCS MBS Morals Guy | January 23, 2013 at 1:08 PM

If he can, and he didn't help us out in all that CDO litigation, well that's just mean and inconsiderate.

6. Posted by Guest | January 23, 2013 at 2:21 PM

"Ace is sharper than ever, routinely humiliating those half (and even one-sixth) his age"

An 85 year old man doing magic with 14 year old kids is (baring a blood relationship) creepy especially when it's described as 'humiliating' them.

7. Posted by DingALing | January 23, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Now you see Bear Stearns…****…..Now you don't!

-The Berg

8. Posted by Gob | January 23, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Bear Sterns Board Member: Why should we believe in you?
    Ace: For the same reason you should believe that a hundred dollar bill… is no more… than a hundred pennies!

9. Posted by THEBro | January 23, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Or cocaine

-gob

10. Posted by Guest | January 23, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Or cocaine!

11. Posted by Mr. Frankenberger | January 23, 2013 at 1:57 PM

From that video on Amazon:
    "Includes archival footage of Jack Miller performing his Ball, Silk And Wand Routine and his classic Egg Bag Routine."

12. Posted by Broseph | January 23, 2013 at 2:00 PM

I also played "Magic: The Gathering" but sadly never became a billionaire from it

13. Posted by Lowly Assistant | January 23, 2013 at 2:44 PM

For the next Dealbreaker Reading, can we just pop that DVD in, sit back and observe the sheer regalness of Ace pulling fast ones?

14. Posted by Texashedge | January 23, 2013 at 2:49 PM

"Do you think they're strippers, Dad?"

"I think they're at least strippers"

15. Posted by XXIst century | January 23, 2013 at 3:01 PM

DVD ???

16. Posted by Lord Humongous | January 23, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Pull my finger kid

- Ace

17. Posted by Guesteban | January 23, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Lehman, AIG, MF Global, others

18. Posted by tony wonder | January 23, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Did somebody say WONDER?!

19. Posted by Dr. Freud | January 23, 2013 at 9:53 PM

"Baring?" That's quite a slip.

20. Posted by UBS quant | January 23, 2013 at 10:35 PM

I don't get the joke

21. Posted by Spitzer | January 25, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Can you make my political career reappear?

22. Posted by chat | February 20, 2013 at 11:10 PM

goods blogs thankssadasd

23. Posted by sohbet odalari | February 20, 2013 at 11:10 PM

goods blogs thanks

24. Posted by sohbet | February 20, 2013 at 11:10 PM

goods blogs thanksadasd

25. Posted by sohbet | March 24, 2013 at 2:25 AM

we always do a great job with our layoffs.

26. Posted by sohbet | April 26, 2013 at 4:48 AM

oyment to talk to your publish. It is well-articulated, razor-sharp, along with goal. What beneficial instruction you may have learned that you put onto this kind of release. Searching to

27. Posted by sohbet odalari | April 26, 2013 at 4:48 AM

asdsour publish. It is well-articulated, razor-sharp, along with goal. What beneficial instruction you may have learned that you put onto this kind of release. Searching to

28. Posted by klimaci servisleri | April 26, 2013 at 8:22 AM

The SWTPA are kadıköy kombi servisi part of the National Tractor Pullers Register (NTPR) and are pleased to be working with the IOPD to promote and encourage Tractor Pulling

29. Posted by klima servisi | April 26, 2013 at 8:24 AM

I have been through the whole content beylikdüzü kombi servisi of this blog which is very informative and knowledgeable stuff, So i would like to visit again.

30. Posted by klimaci servisi | April 26, 2013 at 8:27 AM

Actually I am not habituate to reply a comment on blogs but this blog caught my attention and I am compelled to write a comment here to kombi servisleri express my gratitude to you. I would like to appreciate for this awesome work. Can I get more like this?

31. Posted by klima | April 26, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Recently I have read news just like this arçelik klima servisi in a reputed newspaper. I am so much strange to see such kind of similarity. I am happy to see this.

32. Posted by klima söküm | April 26, 2013 at 8:30 AM

great post ,just i am finding this info on net for one hour i get more info about that from many blog but nothing like that what you posted .

your post is so informative webmaster forumu and unique ,i like this and bookmarked your blog and i will try to read your all post .

33. Posted by klima de montaj | April 26, 2013 at 8:33 AM

These may include, unintentional weight loss, fever, being excessively tired, and changes to the skin. Hodgkin disease, pop radyo leukemia, and cancers of the liver or kidney can cause a persistent fever of unknown origin.

34. Posted by klima bakimi | April 26, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Tori an amusing demirdöküm kombi servisi character. She tries her best to make a act and collects funds for cancer. This is awesome and rare one.

35. Posted by klimaservisleri | April 26, 2013 at 8:40 AM

fantastic publish, very informative. I wonder why the other experts of this sector do
    not understand this. vaillant kombi servisi You should proceed your writing.
    I'm confident, you have a great readers' base already!

36. Posted by klimaci servisi | April 26, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Hi, I just read texts on your blog and I became interested in the topic. I like your site and I am thinking whether I could use vaillant kombi servisi your words in my work? Would it be possible? I was about to say something on this topic. But now i can see that everything on this topic is very amazing and mind blowing.

37. Posted by klimaci | April 26, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Please tell me that your heading to keep this up! Its so very good and so important. I cant wait to read far more from you. I just feel like you know baymak kombi servisi so very much and know how to make people listen to what you've got to say. This weblog is just as well cool to be missed. Great things, actually. Please, PLEASE keep it up!

38. Posted by klima servisi | April 26, 2013 at 8:43 AM

To speak the truth this is a nice post concerning this topic. I got a pure solution from here. Also I can refer to you all kombi servisi

39. Posted by klima servisi | April 26, 2013 at 8:55 AM

What an awesome and great post you have come up with here. I look forward to reading more from you aebn movies blog. webmaster forumu

40. Posted by klimaci servisi | April 26, 2013 at 8:57 AM

webmaster forumları Great work. Very nice post. This is the perfect site for my needs. Thanks.

41. Posted by almanyasohbet | May 15, 2013 at 7:37 AM

Lung cancer is the most common type of cancer associated with smoking. However, cancer of the larynx, mouth, throat, bladder and esophagus are klima servisi pop radyo all very common forms of cancer that are directly caused by cigarette smoke. Also, cancers of the kidney, stomach, pancreas and even a form of leukemia are linked with, though not directly caused by, smoking. Thanks for sharing.

42. Posted by eca kombi servisi | June 3, 2013 at 4:36 PM

ncludes archival footage of Jack Miller performing his Ball

43. Posted by Bosch Kombi Servisi | June 3, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Lung cancer BERETTA Kombi Servisi Lung cancer

44. Posted by Kombi Servisi | June 3, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Bear Stearns,BERETTA Kombi Servisi a serious magic aficionado who PROTHERM Kombi Servisi hosts a monthly gathering AUER Kombi Servisi at his apartment for the best BAXİ Kombi Servisi magicians in New York and those who happen to be in town. Robbins attended one of these evenings, during which he delighted Greenberg by stealing (and returning) his Patek Philippe watch. Greenberg mentioned

45. Posted by SÜSLER Kombi Servisi | June 3, 2013 at 4:47 PM

An 85 VİESSMANN Kombi Servisi year old man doing magic ÜSKÜDAR Kombi Servisi with 14 year old kids AVCILAR Kombi Servisi is (baring a blood BAYKAN Kombi Servisi relationship) creepy especially when BAYKAN Kombi Servisi it's described as 'humiliating' them.

46. Posted by sohbet | July 8, 2013 at 8:56 PM

officers to investigate Blackstone's fishy financial transactions, but they wound up giving them

47. Posted by BAYMAK Kombi Servisi | July 17, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Bear Sterns Board Member: Why should we believe in you?

48. Posted by Kombi Servisi | July 17, 2013 at 8:57 PM

49. Posted by PROTHERM Kombi | July 17, 2013 at 9:00 PM

50. Posted by bahçelievler klima | August 1, 2013 at 6:27 PM

officers to investigate

51. Posted by kombi servisi | August 1, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Hey Ace, you Kombi Bakımı may want to look Robbins bahçelievler kombi servisi to my editor at The New Yorker, Susan Morrison, Protherm kombi servisi who thought it sounded kombi bakımı up my alley. When I demirdöküm kombi servisi called Greenberg, beretta kombi servis he said, “I’m telling you, arçelik klima servisi this kid is something else.” He eca kombi servisleri was right.Sadly never became eca kombi servis a billionaire from it

52. Posted by Klima Servisi | August 1, 2013 at 7:12 PM

this kind of bahçelievler klima servisi release. Searching to Actually I bağcılar klima servisi am not habituate to reply a comment klima montajı on blogs but this blog klima bakımı caught my attention and I am com

53. Posted by kombi servisi | September 5, 2013 at 11:30 AM

I have done a little test on this, and demirdöküm Kombi Servisi made an account in a completely different name and subbed demirdöküm Kombi Servisi myself its been inactive for the last six months and its still on my sub list? why is BAHÇELİEVLER Kombi Servisi this so if they are deleting inactive accounts then? because my friend who protherm Kombi Servisi I actual do gaming videos Kombi Servisi with was unsubbed from my account. I think they just look at how many subs you actually have and then say to

54. Posted by kombi servisi | September 5, 2013 at 11:31 AM

I think they just look at how many subs you actually have and then say to

55. Posted by Murat Çetinkaya | November 2, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Depression is one of bahçelievler kombi servisi the worst things that can bahçelievler eca kombi servisi happen to anyone. If they petek temizliği

56. Posted by Vaillant Kombi | November 27, 2013 at 1:08 PM

I think they just look at how many subs you actually have and then say to are deleting inactive accounts then? because my

57. Posted by vaillant servisi | November 27, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Buraya ile gelmiş Ne müthiş bir ve harika bir yazı. Vaillat Kombi Servisi Ben film blog AEBN daha fazla okumak için sabırsızlanıyoruz.Vaillat Kombi ServisleriBuraya ile gelmiş Ne müthiş bir ve harika bir yazı. Vaillat Kombi ServisBen film blog AEBN daha fazla okumak için sabırsızlanıyoruz.

58. Posted by klima servisi | January 4, 2014 at 8:46 AM

Great blog here! Additionally your website so much up very fast! klima servisi , klima servisleri , vestel klima servisi

59. Posted by J D Morris | April 6, 2014 at 1:46 AM

And whatever age you are still hasn't kept you from being a perpetual idiot with a dumb ass comment like that, nit wit.

60. Posted by Kombi Servisi | April 6, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Ne müthiş bir ve harika Beylikdüzü Kombi Servisi bir yazı. Vaillat Kombi ServisBen film blog AEBN daha fazla okumak için sabırsızlanıyoruz.